• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
We don"t know yet if sands are useless or not.
I'm throwing my guess out there that you can use it for block placement (affected by gravity like in the game) and TNT. I would figure Sakurai would throw some use in there for sand if he were to implement it.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm throwing my guess out there that you can use it for block placement (affected by gravity like in the game) and TNT. I would figure Sakurai would throw some use in there for sand if he were to implement it.
Even then, we don't know what AC's other stages will be made of, we're just guessing based on how the levels look. We should hold off thinking about the stages until he got here

GoldenGoomba

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure Sakurai referred to sand and dirt as "waste materials" or something like that. They are used for TNT. And yes, it's true that every material can be obtained in every stage. But if the rates are that important it may take ages to get iron, and don't even talk about diamond! I still think that tournament stages are not good for Steve, but we'll see.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Aren't you able to get any material on any surface? I'm pretty sure its just the rates that change. What I'm really worried about is the misc stages, even though none of them seem competitively viable; because sand and the like seems to do absolutely nothing for Steve, so fighting on a stage like that might cripple steve.
I was wondering this too. I might have to watch the presentation again unless someone can tell me, but I recall Sakurai saying something about how diamond will always show up eventually, but I wasn't sure if that was about FD/BF stages, or if that's a universal truth on all stages. Imo that could be a good compromise: Even if stages that are lacking in resources, maybe have all resources have a small % chance to spawn, or just have them on a set track like the FD/BF stages, so even on a wood stages, every 20 mines you get an iron or something.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Aren't you able to get any material on any surface? I'm pretty sure its just the rates that change. What I'm really worried about is the misc stages, even though none of them seem competitively viable; because sand and the like seems to do absolutely nothing for Steve, so fighting on a stage like that might cripple steve.
Yes but when you play competitively youre not gonna be given time to mine a lot, so youll only have a few of the other materials.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I feel like if Steve had been in the base roster that we would have got a Creeper assist. Oh well. That's just a silly nitpick with all DLC characters, but they already do so much for each pack and most players don't care about assists.
I want Creeper to get promoted to an assist trophy, but not playable. Furthermore, while I enjoy Steve's inclusion, I don't think Minecraft should get any non-primary reps. Steve (with other skins) is the only Minecraft character who merits to be playable for now.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Some fun art I found. Can't wait for it to be completed come the rest of the pass characters.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ok so I'm actually thinking of getting Minecraft but wanted to know some things:
  1. Is the Switch version worth it? I don't care about how the multiplayer is but I want to know if everything else is good. Obviously the PC version is probably better but I might just settle for the Switch version depending on how it is.
  2. Does the Switch version get updated regularly like the PC version?
  3. I know there are survival elements but is there a sandbox mode where you can just do/make whatever without needing resources or having to stay alive?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ok so I'm actually thinking of getting Minecraft but wanted to know some things:
  1. Is the Switch version worth it? I don't care about how the multiplayer is but I want to know if everything else is good. Obviously the PC version is probably better but I might just settle for the Switch version depending on how it is.
  3. I know there are survival elements but is there a sandbox mode where you can just do/make whatever without needing resources or having to stay alive?
1. Yes, it runs pretty well on Switch from what I've heard.
2. Not sure, probably doesn't get as much support as PC though.
3. Yes, you get access to infinite health, flying, unlimited materials, etc in Creative Mode.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
1. Yes, it runs pretty well on Switch from what I've heard.
2. Not sure, probably doesn't get as much support as PC though.
3. Yes, you get access to infinite health, flying, unlimited materials, etc in Creative Mode.
It would be nice if there was an inbetween. Like, half survival, and half creative. Like, you'd have to get materials, but no enemies. or maybe no enemies around the house. I dunno. I just sometimes feel casual but still want a sense of progression.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
It would be nice if there was an inbetween. Like, half survival, and half creative. Like, you'd have to get materials, but no enemies. or maybe no enemies around the house. I dunno. I just sometimes feel casual but still want a sense of progression.
That’s what the Peaceful difficulty setting is for; it allows you to play Survival with almost all enemies disabled. (It also gives you constant autohealing and removes hunger.) However, you can’t get to The End like this since you need to defeat enemies for a material you need, although you can always just turn the difficulty back up if you want there to be enemies again.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Janx_uwu Janx_uwu is right, but here are some things you might want to consider.
  • Other Bedrock Edition versions let you access beta/in-development content if you join the Minecraft thing in the XBox Insider Hub. Switch version doesn’t let you do this (not sure about PlayStation)
  • PC version lets you use your own custom skins instead of just the character creator or skins you have to buy (I think there are some free ones iirc but not much)
  • If you like mods and are interested in Minecraft’s redstone, Java Edition is the way to go (redstone on Bedrock Edition is good, but Java redstone has some quirks to it that I’ve seen some say makes it better; not entirely sure what tbh)

Also, Switch should receive updates at about the same time as other versions, but I’m not 100% sure either. Iirc they’re trying to keep updates between versions consistent, though; all Bedrock Edition versions should be updated at about the same time.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That’s what the Peaceful difficulty setting is for; it allows you to play Survival with almost all enemies disabled. (It also gives you constant autohealing and removes hunger.) However, you can’t get to The End like this since you need to defeat enemies for a material you need, although you can always just turn the difficulty back up if you want there to be enemies again.
Nice thanks I didn't know about it. I actually like that it removes hunger too. Too bad on not being able to get those materials.
The ideal for me would be that there are mobs in the world, but no creepers and none that can get into the place where you make your house. Maybe it'd take a mod for that :p

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
  1. The Switch version is alright. If you're asking about performance then it runs pretty well. The Switch version runs on the Bedrock edition of Minecraft. This is the edition that is available on all consoles and is even available on Windows 10 PC. The other PC version is called Java edition. The difference between Java and Bedrock edition is that Java has access to more mods on PC but is slightly less stable than the Bedrock edition. The Bedrock edition has crossplay with all other bedrock versions on other systems but it doesn't have the same amount of available mods as the Java edition.
  2. Yup! Bedrock edition gets updated regularly on all systems at the same time. Java is slightly ahead in updates since it uses more experimental snapshots but iirc the gap isn't that large anymore.
  3. Yes that's called creative mode. You can build and do whatever you want in that mode without worrying about survival elements.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
My main experiences with Minecraft were from the 2011-2013 era. I played both the PC version and the Xbox 360 edition. So, I'm a bit confused with how things work now, if someone is willing to help me out.

Firstly, there are now two PC versions? Bedrock and Java edition. I bought Minecraft in 2011 when it was just on the PC. Which version do I own, then? And, does that mean I also own the other PC version as well, or would I have to buy that? Are there any big differences, and are they cross-platform (can I play with someone from Java edition if I have Bedrock edition?)

Second, does Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth have any impact on the main game itself, or are those just isolated spin-offs? My limited understanding is that Minecraft Dungeons is a regular spin-off, and Minecraft Earth is some kind of mobile game, but that's the extant of my knowledge.

Now you may be asking why I didn't just Google these questions. Honestly, I'd rather have a discussion about it here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My main experiences with Minecraft were from the 2011-2013 era. I played both the PC version and the Xbox 360 edition. So, I'm a bit confused with how things work now, if someone is willing to help me out.

Firstly, there are now two PC versions? Bedrock and Java edition. I bought Minecraft in 2011 when it was just on the PC. Which version do I own, then? And, does that mean I also own the other PC version as well, or would I have to buy that? Are there any big differences, and are they cross-platform (can I play with someone from Java edition if I have Bedrock edition?)

Second, does Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth have any impact on the main game itself, or are those just isolated spin-offs? My limited understanding is that Minecraft Dungeons is a regular spin-off, and Minecraft Earth is some kind of mobile game, but that's the extant of my knowledge.

Now you may be asking why I didn't just Google these questions. Honestly, I'd rather have a discussion about it here.
If you bought it in 2011, that means you for-sure own Java Edition. You could’ve gotten the Windows 10 version of Bedrock Edition for free by redeeming a code, but I’m afraid they stopped doing that in 2018 :S I don’t think you can do that now, not 100% sure though.

If you want to play with Bedrock Edition players, you’ll need Bedrock Edition. I think there are some servers that use a plugin or something called GeyserMC that allows crossplay between Java and Bedrock, but I don’t recall any names and haven’t played on any myself so I can’t really help much there. Bedrock Edition players can play with each other no matter what system they’re on.

Dungeons and Earth are isolated from the maingame, however Earth can connect to the same Microsoft account you would use for Bedrock Edition and have your character use the same skin (and if you buy any skins or clothing things on Bedrock Edition, you can use them on Earth too I think). Earth is a free Augmented Reality game for mobile; Dungeons costs money and is a dungeon crawler as the name suggests.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I hope there's some way to counter block placement around stage ledges. Didn't think about it before but I can see this abused should anyone unfortunate get knocked down below and can't break through those things trying to recover using Up B.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
If you're into games that allow you to freely expand your creativity and just build whatever you want with very minimal limitations, or games in which you fight to survive monsters, build a base to hold your resources, and explore, this game caters to both playstyles, if more.

I admittingly don't know what differentiates the console versions with the Java version on PC, but if you have access to a good computer, I would recommend playing on that instead. The Java version will give you the true Minecraft experience, while also giving you easy mod support to expand your game if you so choose. And Minecraft is VERY mod friendly, and there's thousands of awesome mods out there to refuel the fun. That's why I like the Java version, but go with what suits you.

I know this don't really answer you questions, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

All the hype around Steve in Smash gave me the urge to play Minecraft again, and it's been awesome reliving the same fun I've had playing this game years ago.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I hope there's some way to counter block placement around stage ledges. Didn't think about it before but I can see this abused should anyone unfortunate get knocked down below and can't break through those things trying to recover using Up B.
I think it'll depend on the character. And unfortunately I think in some cases people will hate the character because it'll be op.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I had a suspicion Ridley would be the fighter for the Ender Dragon Spirit. This does make me wonder what his unique spirit effect would be tho. My mind is set on it being a sort of super-buffed version of Impact Run, or maybe just Impact Movement, which was based on how the Ender Dragon would deal immense damage just by flying into you.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Creeper assist trophy makes so much sense. Maybe it will be in the next Smash...
I really wish we got DLC assists- some matches I play with assists and pokeballs as the only items and it'd be cool to have seen the creeper as an assist. Or Dragon Quest's slime, or even things from other companies already in smash (like what they do with the Mii costumes.) It'd be neat to have Puyo Puyo or Just dance revolution (think how Pac Man's ghost assist works but with the puzzle blocks/ directional arrows respectively) or have the Prince from Katamari Damacy roll across the stage.

...Or they could just add the Prince in as Playable. That'd be cool too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder, has anyone implemented a mod to add in a giant piston like the Final Smash into Minecraft.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So what do y'all think Steve's classic mode is gonna be like?
Probably stamina mode with lots of going back to the minecraft stage. With zombies and endermen, and then other characters to represent the other ones. Ending in the Ridley fight for the Ender dragon.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
So what do y'all think Steve's classic mode is gonna be like?
His final boss is most likely gonna be Rathalos.
I guess the other battles could be based of different mobs in Minecraft.
Also I think they're all gonna take place on the Minecraft stage.

Top Bottom