• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I guarantee you that the Steve labbing team will be testing day 1 if you can edgeguard with obscene hand gestures.
People have already considered that Steve might have the best online taunt by building L's on the stage. That's not a strategy but it's still worth considering. What I'm curious about is what kind of combo of blocks and TNT can you ledge trap with.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Just realized Steve might be godlike at edgeguarding Dedede in particular. No need to worry about Super Dedede Jump's armor since if Dedede bonks his head on a ceiling during that, he'll become helpless. Of course we'll need to see how the interactions play out in the final version, but Steve seems to have the tools to make many good recoveries not that good anymore, and I'm all about that.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
They actually did the one thing. And then they did the other. The mad men!

The two biggest things a Minecraft fan could have ever wanted happened in the same week: Minecraft in Smash and the cave update.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Just realized Steve might be godlike at edgeguarding Dedede in particular. No need to worry about Super Dedede Jump's armor since if Dedede bonks his head on a ceiling during that, he'll become helpless. Of course we'll need to see how the interactions play out in the final version, but Steve seems to have the tools to make many good recoveries not that good anymore, and I'm all about that.
Inkling too. Other vertical recoveries will also have a tough time coming back to stage.
I might sound like a Shulk main here...but he has the potential to be top 5.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Man, this is so awesome. I also changed my name to fit the situation. Two Creeper Girls(Charging Creeper and the regular Creeper). Only had to do a very tiny amount of edits too.

I'm going to main Zombie for my alt. They're one of my favorite types of monsters and I've even used undead(not just Vampires) in a roleplay before. Albeit, it was a Wight, which similar to a Zombie, but still.

I love the costume designs. They look silly yet good. Sad for Travis fans, though Bomberman fans kind of got a special thing, despite him being pretty much out for the pass. I hope they do more costume colors with Mii costumes. That would honestly make Mii Fighter costumes a bit more popular. They could do it with some, like characters who already had costume colors in general(I.E. Fox), but I can't see them changing the hat.

...Okay, it was Zombie and Creeper. To be fair, Zombie in this image did have similar colors to Charged Creeper. I'll work on a new change as soon as I get help with some editing.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I have to say I'm impressed how far they went to get Steve to work in Smash. I've always been a casual in regards to Minecraft, I haven't played Minecraft in years. And most of my time was in Creative mode I'm pretty sure. But I'm definitely among the people that think Steve has worthy merit and should be a celebrated inclusion more then not. Steve may be a little too complex for me to consider using all the time, but he looks like to be among the many choices where even if you don't use him alot it'll be fun to tinker with, especially to see which stages give more advantageous materials then others.

So even if this is a little late, congratulations to everyone who's ever wanted Steve. ^^

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Did Sakurai ever use Side-B in the air? I'm curious how it acts when it's not on the ground.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Not a fan of how stages have different spawn rates based on what material the stage is made of. Battlefield/omega forms having the same rate for everything is good but I think they should have made it that hazards off = same rate.

anyway, here’s my predictions for the universally legal stages:

Battlefield : Stone probably

Final destination: same as battlefield

Pokémon Stadium 2: Iron

Smashville: wood

Town and city: same as smashville

Yoshis story: wood

Lylat: iron

Unova: Stone

Kalos: Stone probably maybe iron

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Not a fan of how stages have different spawn rates based on what material the stage is made of. Battlefield/omega forms having the same rate for everything is good but I think they should have made it that hazards off = same rate.

anyway, here’s my predictions for the universally legal stages:

Battlefield : Stone probably

Final destination: same as battlefield

Pokémon Stadium 2: Iron

Smashville: wood

Town and city: same as smashville

Yoshis story: wood

Lylat: iron

Unova: Stone

Kalos: Stone probably maybe iron
Strong agree with the hazards off thing. But I'm okay with the decision, adds another layer to banning stages and will make him a bit more interesting, if he wasn't already super complex. Would like for it to be changed in the future, but for now I can deal with it.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Is c418 under a union?could this be the reason why c418s minecraft music is not included in smash?

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
After seeing that presentation on Steve & Alex, I'm more excited for this character than ever before. He looks absolutely bonkers to play as, and I can't wait until October 13th. And I'm glad that Battlefield/Omega stages have a universal set drop rate for materials. As I tend to play on those kinds of stages a lot.

Sorry Hero, but it seems you have been replaced. I'm definitely gonna be an Enderman main.

D

Deleted member

Is c418 under a union?could this be the reason why c418s minecraft music is not included in smash?
Two reasons.

1. The music doesn't really fit Smash. The music gives off a relaxing aesthetic.
2. I believe Notch owns the rights to the music, not Microsoft, for some reason. Please correct me on this.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Two reasons.

1. The music doesn't really fit Smash. The music gives off a relaxing aesthetic.
2. I believe Notch owns the rights to the music, not Microsoft, for some reason. Please correct me on this.
1.i dont think that is a good reason since there are tracks like environmental noises and the animal crossing soundtracks they also could be remixed
2.i dont think the minecraft music is owned by notch since the music is still in minecraft

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
I would've liked to see a wolf somewhere in the kit to be honest. I really don't like the magma block up smash either; it's ugly and isn't how it works in minecraft either. I think a beacon or using a piston (and replacing his throws with more inspired Minecraft elements like dispensers or furnaces) would be a great way to really take advantage of everything Minecraft has to offer. It is what it is, the mining and building mechanics were a step beyond what I expected, but I can't help but feel that it's overall lacking, and that makes me feel sad.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I would've liked to see a wolf somewhere in the kit to be honest. I really don't like the magma block up smash either; it's ugly and isn't how it works in minecraft either. I think a beacon or using a piston (and replacing his throws with more inspired Minecraft elements like dispensers or furnaces) would be a great way to really take advantage of everything Minecraft has to offer. It is what it is, the mining and building mechanics were a step beyond what I expected, but I can't help but feel that it's overall lacking, and that makes me feel sad.
It's probably the most accurate-to-games character we've had in a very long time, if you take a screenshot of an eight player Steve battle on Minecraft World most would have a hard time telling if it's Smash or a Minecraft PvP arena. We're very lucky to have such an accurate character and a fun one at that, and we should appreciate how much Sakurai poured into making them as close to the source games as possible. You shouldn't feel sad, you can want other things but having such an accurate character and one from a game you love is nothing to complain about.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's probably the most accurate-to-games character we've had in a very long time, if you take a screenshot of an eight player Steve battle on Minecraft World most would have a hard time telling if it's Smash or a Minecraft PvP arena. We're very lucky to have such an accurate character and a fun one at that, and we should appreciate how much Sakurai poured into making them as close to the source games as possible. You shouldn't feel sad, you can want other things but having such an accurate character and one from a game you love is nothing to complain about.
Well being able to place blocks anywhere in the air isn't kind of accurate. That's one thing Im gonna have to see if it makes sense for smash, people will be able to stall in the air.

Will have to play and see games to see if it matters much or not tho.

GoldenGoomba

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think will happen to tournament legal stages and Steve? I can see him very limited to stages that give him good materials. If that's the case:
  • FD/Battlefield: if they're treated likebattlefield and omega forms it will give him materials in a preset pattern, so no problems even if it is not the optimal scenario.
  • Pokémon Stadium 2: ¿iron? ¿dirt since it's grass?
  • Smashville/Town and city: ¿Wood?
As for counterpicks, maybe Kalos, Lylat and even Unova are good for iron farming. The other common stages (Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island) may be bad for him.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Kalos and Unova produce Brick which I think is basically stone. Lylat is his only legal stage with iron. SV and TnC are wood, FD/BF are brick as well (but it won't matter much for those two since we'll probably just use FD/BF forms when playing against or as Steve).
So his best stage will really come down to how he plays outside of mining.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What do you guys think will happen to tournament legal stages and Steve? I can see him very limited to stages that give him good materials. If that's the case:
  • FD/Battlefield: if they're treated likebattlefield and omega forms it will give him materials in a preset pattern, so no problems even if it is not the optimal scenario.
  • Pokémon Stadium 2: ¿iron? ¿dirt since it's grass?
  • Smashville/Town and city: ¿Wood?
As for counterpicks, maybe Kalos, Lylat and even Unova are good for iron farming. The other common stages (Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island) may be bad for him.
Depending on what you get for those stages yeah it'll be a disadvantage for them, because iron seems to be the most important resource, if really wood is what mostly comes from smashville and town and city, it'll be hard to get the stage you want sometimes, since the meta for stages shouldnt change just because of one character.

GoldenGoomba

Smash Rookie
Wow, I didn't know this much info was already confirmed. Yeah, I agree with you. Maybe Steve is a decent/good character but the stage list and the number of bans prevent him from reaching his maximum potential. Or maybe at the end resource gathering is not "that" important and the stage layout prevails.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Kalos and Unova produce Brick which I think is basically stone. Lylat is his only legal stage with iron. SV and TnC are wood, FD/BF are brick as well (but it won't matter much for those two since we'll probably just use FD/BF forms when playing against or as Steve).
So his best stage will really come down to how he plays outside of mining.
If you play against steve, you'll ban FD/BF forms, so that you have an advantage. It'll probably always be hard for steve to have a resource advantage.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If you play against steve, you'll ban FD/BF forms, so that you have an advantage. It'll probably always be hard for steve to have a resource advantage.
TBH we'll likely never get to play on Lylat :( since they're gonna ban that whenever they can. So I guess the main stratedgy for our opponents will be to ban Lylat and BF/FD forms in match 1, and if they win against him they'll ban BF/FD. If we win we'll pretty much be forced to ban SV and TnC to avoid being stuck with wood, at that point they'll choose his worst stage in terms of positioning and inability to zone and set up traps and whatnot. Essentially we have to ban the wooden stages whenever we can unless we feel confident in our ability to work with the resources we get.

Last edited:

GoldenGoomba

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Starter Stages look terrible for him. Banning FD and Battlefield it's all it takes to limit him. As for counterpicks, if what you say it's true, just add Lylat to FD and Battlefield and that's it. I wish legal stages (or at least hazardless stages) were treated like omega and battlefield forms. But we'll have to wait to see if the impact is as big as we're predicting.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah, Starter Stages look terrible for him. Banning FD and Battlefield it's all it takes to limit him. As for counterpicks, if what you say it's true, just add Lylat to FD and Battlefield and that's it. I wish legal stages (or at least hazardless stages) were treated like omega and battlefield forms. But we'll have to wait to see if the impact is as big as we're predicting.
Honestly the best thing we can hope for is that it doesn't matter as much, like if skill trumps materials for example. And if it is a factor as big as Sak made it out to be, then we'll do our best to be vocal about it so that hazards off makes it like BF and FD forms in a future update.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
TBH we'll likely never get to play on Lylat :( since they're gonna ban that whenever they can. So I guess the main stratedgy for our opponents will be to ban Lylat and BF/FD forms in match 1, and if they win against him they'll ban BF/FD. If we win we'll pretty much be forced to ban SV and TnC to avoid being stuck with wood, at that point they'll choose his worst stage in terms of positioning and inability to zone and set up traps and whatnot. Essentially we have to ban the wooden stages whenever we can unless we feel confident in our ability to work with the resources we get.
Yeah. Definitely something like that.

It's still possible to use them well without certain resrouces, but someone will have to make the most of the general attacks. Side B and down air use iron, which means you wont have much dash/projectile on non-iron stages, and you can't use your powerful throws as much.

Thankfully the tnt uses basic materials (does it use wood tho?), so someone can still play trappy with explosives on any stage.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

It's still possible to use them well without certain resrouces, but someone will have to make the most of the general attacks. Side B and down air use iron, which means you wont have much dash/projectile on non-iron stages, and you can't use your powerful throws as much.

Thankfully the tnt uses basic materials (does it use wood tho?), so someone can still play trappy with explosives on any stage.
TNT uses stone and dirt; I’m not sure if the wood stages give much or any, I just recall seeing wood blocks on Kongo Jungle 64 alongside iron and stuff.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
TNT uses stone and dirt; I’m not sure if the wood stages give much or any, I just recall seeing wood blocks on Kongo Jungle 64 alongside iron and stuff.
In that case, the wood stages will be pretty bad for steve, and you'll mostly be relying on basic tactics. Someone will have to get used to using just those sometimes. but it's their basic kit, so someone should get good with it anyway.

The most important for the character is having weapons to use. And thankfully blocks can maybe be put up to stall a tiny bit while someone repairs or upgrades. But yeah, as the minecraft character, you should probably want to ban the wood stages to have something more. Sorry if you like the animal crossing stages. :/

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Congrats to everyone who wanted Steve in Smash. Looks like an interesting and very technical fighter. Fighting against him appears to be a nightmare, lol.

I want to know just how strong that up smash is going to be, considering how easy it looks to combo into it. I'm definitely going to test the block building, because it can't be as powerful as it looks on first glance. It can potentially shut down a lot of fighters' abilities to recover, especially those who had bad recovery to begin with. Who's ready to test blocks against the entire cast?

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
That's fair. It could've been an actual Link clone like how he was referred to before getting in. Sad was a bit melodramatic, but yeah, I see what you mean.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well, thing is, Steve's blocks also seem to have a sort of "Mario block" mechanic to them, i.e. they can be broken by jumping into them.

I decided to test out what happens when King Dedede uses his Up-B under the breakable blocks in Mushroomy Kingdom and 3D Land.

When Dedede uses his Up-B under these blocks, he breaks the blocks and does his head-bonking animation, but he also retains the upward momentum from him Up-B.

So he continues to fly upward, but he is also completely vulnerable during this time. If Steve's blocks work the same, they won't stop Dedede from recovering, but they will leave him vulnerable for a second.

Also worth noting is that it seems that Iron blocks are durable enough to take a single headbonk without breaking, so if you use iron blocks to block the ledge, then Dedede might just bonk and plummet down to his death.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Honestly the best thing we can hope for is that it doesn't matter as much, like if skill trumps materials for example. And if it is a factor as big as Sak made it out to be, then we'll do our best to be vocal about it so that hazards off makes it like BF and FD forms in a future update.
I doubt that they'll change it, knowing them. But c'mon we barely know the character as it is.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Aren't you able to get any material on any surface? I'm pretty sure its just the rates that change. What I'm really worried about is the misc stages, even though none of them seem competitively viable; because sand and the like seems to do absolutely nothing for Steve, so fighting on a stage like that might cripple steve.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Aren't you able to get any material on any surface? I'm pretty sure its just the rates that change. What I'm really worried about is the misc stages, even though none of them seem competitively viable; because sand and the like seems to do absolutely nothing for Steve, so fighting on a stage like that might cripple steve.
We don"t know yet if sands are useless or not.

Top Bottom