• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve preliminary frame data

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
As I do for all new fighters, I've gathered some day one frame data and other useful information to help people understand how Steve works. This character is completely bizarre but hopefully I can get to the useful information. As per my usual pattern, I only looked at attack start-up; if you want endlag (and this character's endlags are... weird just by feel), it's likely we'll have data extraction in a few days.

Jab/Ftilt/Nair: 4 [3 gold]
Utilt: 6 [4 gold]
Dtilt: 12
Dash attack: 8 [8 gold]

Fsmash: 13 (8 charge release) [10 gold, 5 gold charge release]
Usmash: 8 (2 charge release)
Dsmash: 8 (6 charge release), 26 (back hit)

Standing Grab: 13
Running Grab: 16
Pivot Grab: 16

Fair: 8 [8 gold]
Bair: 12 [12 gold]
Uair: 4 [4 gold]
Dair: 20

Side Special: 19

Making a block takes about 6 frames, but there's a lot of weird timing stuff related to it that makes it hard to be sure exactly since it doesn't really impact Steve's movement (landing on a block as you fullhop and shielding, for instance, takes about 22f). On Battlefield, blocks can be made down to 5 blocks below the main ground and up to 2 blocks-ish above the top platform (the top platform's height isn't aligned to the block grid; it's about 2.2 blocks above the top platform where the limit is probably). You cannot make blocks too close to the ledge no matter your height, and this includes being more or less entirely unable to make blocks vaguely underneath the ledge or anywhere directly under the stage. If a block breaks under your feet, it's like if the ground disappears on a moving stage, and whatever animation you are in instantly and completely cancels which may be the most dangerous thing about this character.

Down special makes a TNT block begin to exist on f18 and allows you to shield as of f26. It's a very strange move I don't really think I can properly document in a quick write-up beyond this. You can only have one TNT block in existance at a time; trying to use the move a second time will cause a failed summoning animation in the air and will go into the "drawing a powder trail" animation on the ground even if you are not actually in position to draw a powder trail.

You can only have one dair existing at a time, and trying to summon a second one will cause the move to fail. Steve will plunge with the dair, and hitting jump while plunging after a certain point will cause the anvil to continue to fall while Steve will simply stop falling in air. This stoppage does not consume your double jump if you still have it, but it does not refresh your double jump if you have already used it. Dair move also fails if you have insufficient iron. Side special similarly will fail to summon if either you have insufficient iron or the previous side special hasn't despawned yet.

Up special doesn't hit at all and seems like it's just Brawl MK/Pit glide except if you try to glide attack you instantly go into helpless. I have no useful numbers to give for this move; it does what you would expect, and try not to bonk as that will get you killed.

In general weapon strength goes barehanded < wood/gold < stone < iron < diamond. All weapons other than gold seem to have the same frame data at least in terms of start-ups. I tested both jab and fsmash and got constant ratios of damage, and I believe the game just uses simple multipliers:

Likely multipliers:

Barehanded: 0.8
Wood/Gold: 1
Stone: 1.1
Iron: 1.2
Diamond: 1.35

I also want to generally remain neutral on whether characters are good/bad in these write-ups, but Steve is definitely by far the strangest character in the roster of this or any other Smash game. Even just documenting what he can do, I can't help but notice he's absolutely nothing like any other character in terms of any of his properties, and that kinda applies to both good things and bad things. It's hard for me to imagine a character that deviates this much from a typical smash character not finding his way to one of the extreme ends of the tier list for better or for worse. If you want to invest in this character, just be ready for a really wild ride, and I hope you aren't expecting all that time you spend with the other characters to help you too much as this guy is just wild.

Top Bottom