• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Goldschuss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goldschuss
Honestly I don't think Steve will be a good addition to smash.
Smash is a title that represents iconic characters in the gaming world. Focus on "characters".

Steve isn't a player character. He's an Avatar. An avatar meant to represent the player itself in the world of minecraft. He himself has no story, no background, no personality. Most people don't even use the default skin and instead download a skin they find on the internet. I'm surprised to learn that this default avatar even has a name. Steve just isn't as iconic as people make him out to be.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Smash is a title that represents iconic characters in the gaming world. Focus on "characters".

Steve isn't a player character. He's an Avatar. An avatar meant to represent the player itself in the world of minecraft. He himself has no story, no background, no personality. Most people don't even use the default skin and instead download a skin they find on the internet. I'm surprised to learn that this default avatar even has a name. Steve just isn't as iconic as people make him out to be.
Except:
  • He’s the face of the game alongside Alex and the Creeper, serving as a mascot and is on all of the box art
  • Minecraft has a focus on what the player does
  • Steve and Alex are named ingame in just about every version that isn’t Java
  • Steve and Alex are used as characters in some videos where they make appearances, sometimes on the official Minecraft twitter, and a lot in pixel art on their official Instagram; not to mention all the merchandise with the characters
  • On the official Minecraft website, in a news article about the bees, there was a joke about the bees being the new stars of the game, telling Steve and Alex to talk to their agent, implying they do see Steve and Alex as the game’s stars in a way if all this other stuff doesn’t confirm it
  • A few Mojang employees have said they’d like to see him in Smash
  • Lego Club Magazine July-August 2016 says Steve’s and Alex’s preferences, Steve being a miner, builder and alchemist, and Alex being a builder, hunter and explorer. It also says Steve is Alex’s boyfriend (tbh not sure if this is official but it’s from the Minecraft Wiki and you’d think the Lego dudes would’ve asked Mojang)
  • A Microsoft store had a person-sized model/statue of Steve with little to no other characters getting the same thing
  • Many fans make fan art of him, Alex, or both in the same art, as well as builds of them or builds that feature them. While a lot don’t care, plenty are still attached to them or at least like them. There’s even a fan-animated series about them.
  • Minecraft is certainly an iconic game, being a big symbol of creativity
  • Steve has crossed over with other games already
I don’t see how he isn’t iconic, given all this + he’s symbolic of an iconic game. He at least has more official character than Animal Crossing’s villagers, which while they do have facial expressions in their games and not just in official animated trailers, don’t even have names or anything about them at all unless you want to count their clothing. He is a character.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman

Yes,hes an avatar just like villager ang mr game and watch,heck,i would argue that mr game and watch is more of a non character than steve is as he didnt even exist as a character prior to melee since he was essentially made by sakurai as a character to only represent the game and watch games in the melee roster.

Yes,even though people do switch the default skin to thier own skin,people still associate steve with minecraft with him being the default skin and the face of the game alongside the creeper and alex,and also being used in the design of the minecraft mobs,the zombie which dosent change which design dosent change with the skin of the player

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice

You're absolutely right. I was 100% invested in the lore and personality behind Villager and Wii Fit Trainer when I played their games.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

A) going into a character support thread purely to say that the character won't be playable is rarely a good idea.

B) Smash has already had playable avatars meant to stand in for the player. Even if we don't count Robin, Corrin, or Byleth, there's still the Villagers, the Miis, and the Pokemon Trainers.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/Simnm4/status/1229417477966192641?s=19

Theres a poll conducted by source gaming,so you should show your support there

Except:
  • He’s the face of the game alongside Alex and the Creeper, serving as a mascot and is on all of the box art
  • Minecraft has a focus on what the player does
  • Steve and Alex are named ingame in just about every version that isn’t Java
  • Steve and Alex are used as characters in some videos where they make appearances, sometimes on the official Minecraft twitter, and a lot in pixel art on their official Instagram; not to mention all the merchandise with the characters
  • On the official Minecraft website, in a news article about the bees, there was a joke about the bees being the new stars of the game, telling Steve and Alex to talk to their agent, implying they do see Steve and Alex as the game’s stars in a way if all this other stuff doesn’t confirm it
  • A few Mojang employees have said they’d like to see him in Smash
  • Lego Club Magazine July-August 2016 says Steve’s and Alex’s preferences, Steve being a miner, builder and alchemist, and Alex being a builder, hunter and explorer. It also says Steve is Alex’s boyfriend (tbh not sure if this is official but it’s from the Minecraft Wiki and you’d think the Lego dudes would’ve asked Mojang)
  • A Microsoft store had a person-sized model/statue of Steve with little to no other characters getting the same thing
  • Many fans make fan art of him, Alex, or both in the same art, as well as builds of them or builds that feature them. While a lot don’t care, plenty are still attached to them or at least like them. There’s even a fan-animated series about them.
  • Minecraft is certainly an iconic game, being a big symbol of creativity
  • Steve has crossed over with other games already
I don’t see how he isn’t iconic, given all this + he’s symbolic of an iconic game. He at least has more official character than Animal Crossing’s villagers, which while they do have facial expressions in their games and not just in official animated trailers, don’t even have names or anything about them at all unless you want to count their clothing. He is a character.
I cant think of any character more iconic than steve whos already in the game.
I would say that steve is more iconic than crash and master chief.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/Simnm4/status/1229417477966192641?s=19

Theres a poll conducted by source gaming,so you should show your support there

I cant think of any character more iconic than steve whos already in the game.
I would say that steve is more iconic than crash and master chief.
It's like how Crossfire is the most popular fps. Popularity and sales don't always equal iconic status. It's why you don't see Steve in many iconic video gamr character ranking.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
It's like how Crossfire is the most popular fps. Popularity and sales don't always equal iconic status. It's why you don't see Steve in many iconic video gamr character ranking.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/iconic
I would disagree since steve and alex are seen as the faces of minecraft alongside the creeper and since minecraft is one of the most popular and influential games,and is more popular than halo and crash bandicoot,i would argue that steve is more iconic than both of them

And about crossfire,not knowing anything about crossfire prior to this,however after seeing the popularity of the game,it could be argued that crossfire is an iconic game according to the definition of the word iconic

So basically it goes
Sales=/=popularity but popularity×association(to gaming)
=iconic(to gaming)
According to the definition

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/iconic
I would disagree since steve and alex are seen as the faces of minecraft alongside the creeper and since minecraft is one of the most popular and influential games,and is more popular than halo and crash bandicoot,i would argue that steve is more iconic than both of them

And about crossfire,not knowing anything about crossfire prior to this,however after seeing the popularity of the game,it could be argued that crossfire is an iconic game according to the definition of the word iconic

So basically it goes
Sales=/=popularity but popularity×association(to gaming)
=iconic(to gaming)
According to the definition
Go outside and ask how many people know Crossfire. It's way too Chinese centric to be considered iconic. Even more so than Halo and West centric.
Hell. It doesn't have anything outstanding as it was too much of rip off of Counter Strike to be its own thing. It's not even inspired.
More popular doesn't mean more iconic. So I guess the dude with lv.3 helmet from PUBG is more iconic than Chief, right?
When I look through ranking, Chief gets selected more often than Steve for iconic video game character ranking.
Chief and Crash may be debatable, but there is no argument to be made that Steve is more iconic than Mario.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally, I don’t think it’s about who’s “more iconic.” Steve, Chief, etc. are all iconic for different reasons, being symbolic of different things and are all still big icons of gaming. Steve is definitely up there with the others, though, if “iconic” can be measured, people’s personal rankings and polls be darned (and Steve has still gotten high up on some Smash polls). Steve’s game basically defined a generation, and has influenced the sandbox genre as well as partly influencing games like Breath of the Wild, with his face right on his game’s cover and website.

And success / popularity / what it lead to basically does help iconic status, as that’s how you know it was influential and a symbolic game and whatnot. If the big names’ games failed or fell into obscurity, they wouldn’t be iconic, would they? The only exception I can think of is if you argue characters like Bubsy being iconic for bad games. Of course, if anyone is arguing most iconic for gaming as a whole, it’d have to be Mario or Pac-Man imo.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I really want this thread to be more active :/
Me too...

Only problem I see is people dismiss us simply because "Minecraft" and because a few sour apples spoil the selection.

Never let that get us down!

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Ehh there isn't really anything to talk about at the moment smash wise. I think its pretty clear Minecraft inspired the latest AC game though which is fun to think about.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sour apples?
I refer to the people who basically aren’t really supporters. The kind that made the grotesque Steve thing that I genuinely hate.

All it takes is a generalization to ruin the orchid, so to speak.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Ehh there isn't really anything to talk about at the moment smash wise. I think its pretty clear Minecraft inspired the latest AC game though which is fun to think about.
Well there is the fact that minecraft is really big in china(minecraft has a playerbase of 300 MILLON in china)and adding steve into smash bros is a great way to increase chinese interest to smash bros

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, we've yet to see if the rumored second Direct for this month will show up next week. Especially since the South Korean rating for XB Definitive Edition cropped up recently.

I refer to the people who basically aren’t really supporters. The kind that made the grotesque Steve thing that I genuinely hate.

All it takes is a generalization to ruin the orchid, so to speak.
Doesn't help that the chances of Steve getting in this time have shrunk drastically, so if he's not in it'll be a long time before he can recover from being a memetic loser.

Always gotta have a vocal minority getting more attention than the more quiet and reasonable people...

Wouldn't be the first time, since Dragon Quest Builder is pretty much Minecraft, but with a DQ theme.

On a related note, the expectation of Smash news popping up during an AC direct was too silly. Just let the series not be overshadowed by that for once, people. :ultvillager::ultisabelle:

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
At any rate, we've yet to see if the rumored second Direct for this month will show up next week. Especially since the South Korean rating for XB Definitive Edition cropped up recently.

Doesn't help that the chances of Steve getting in this time have shrunk drastically, so if he's not in it'll be a long time before he can recover from being a memetic loser.

Always gotta have a vocal minority getting more attention than the more quiet and reasonable people...

Wouldn't be the first time, since Dragon Quest Builder is pretty much Minecraft, but with a DQ theme.

On a related note, the expectation of Smash news popping up during an AC direct was too silly. Just let the series not be overshadowed by that for once, people. :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
I dont see how steves chnaces has drastically shrunk if anything,he's the most likely dlc candidate

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dont see how steves chnaces has drastically shrunk if anything,he's the most likely dlc candidate
While it may not be a fan rule, so far we've seen that each third party for this game has allowed one character each for the fighter pass. If that pattern holds up, I wouldn't be surprised if BK is all that we get, since there really isn't much wiggle room with six characters left to add. We could get a second DLC character from one of the companies involved with the game, but I'm not holding my breath for that one very much.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
While it may not be a fan rule, so far we've seen that each third party for this game has allowed one character each for the fighter pass. If that pattern holds up, I wouldn't be surprised if BK is all that we get, since there really isn't much wiggle room with six characters left to add. We could get a second DLC character from one of the companies involved with the game, but I'm not holding my breath for that one very much.
I dont see why nintendo would not add another rep from microsoft especially from a game as big as minecraft which would heavily benefit them

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can see Steve and Geno coming, but yeah I’m expecting maybe Capcom, Namco, a first-party, and maybe an entirely new company for the other spots. Nintendo would also technically be working with a new company for Steve, even though they’re under Microsoft’s umbrella now.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I think that they would pick steve over masterchief as minecraft has been advertised by nintendo alot
I also dont think they would make steve,the protanganist one of the best selling games of all time just a mere mii costume especially since steve has such unique moveset potential

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yo, they brought back Crying Obsidian from that old alpha/beta concept.

It’s only for decoration right now, though, but it’s gonna have uses later. If it’s used to set your spawn in the Nether, it could make for a cool entrance animation for Steve...

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
If or when steve makes into smash,what do you think his playstyle should be?

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I saw this Japanese poll about the most wanted fighters in Smash and Steve is 10th http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._ultimate_dlc_fighter_in_recent_japanese_poll

While the poll is small and poll don't means a lot, it's interesting to see him that high, because many people thought that Japanese players don't really know or like Western characters.
With steve having a bigger presence in japan than chief,i am quite confident that nintendo will choose steve over chief

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
What if nintendo wanted to add steve originally but microsoft asked nintendo to add banjo first?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What if nintendo wanted to add steve originally but microsoft asked nintendo to add banjo first?
That actually would make some sense. But do note Nintendo and Sakurai both would've had to have interest in Banjo too.

Minecraft did pave the way to Banjo in Smash.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure when they say Minecraft helped, they mean they now had a foot in Microsoft's door. They probably always had the intent on adding Banjo due to popularity and now with the newfound connections, actually made it happen. If anything though it would mean they can easily get in contact again for Minecraft if they want to do that.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
With minecraft being one of the most iconic and influential games of all time and one of the big factors of banjo getting into smash,i feel like it would be an extreme disservice to just include steve as a mii costume,he should atleast be a fighter

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I don’t mean to sound like I’m some random kid who’s only ever played Minecraft, but if you ask me, Steve belongs in a game like Smash. The old #1 game of all time, Tetris, has been represented with spirits. If Tetris were replaced with another game which had characters, then a fighter would probably already be in the game. Steve is the mascot of video gaming as a whole. A character like that seems obvious for Smash Bros.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don’t mean to sound like I’m some random kid who’s only ever played Minecraft, but if you ask me, Steve belongs in a game like Smash. The old #1 game of all time, Tetris, has been represented with spirits. If Tetris were replaced with another game which had characters, then a fighter would probably already be in the game. Steve is the mascot of video gaming as a whole. A character like that seems obvious for Smash Bros.
Yeah Steve definitely deserve a spot in Smash. Minecraft is so influential for so many indie developpers that even if it's not indie anymore, I consider it to be the mascot of indie game. Also Minecraft have his own convention, what other games is so big to have his own convention alone? And Minecraft will have a movie in the future.

Minecraft is more than a big game. It's a big cultural phenomenon. It clearly should be in Smash. Hopefully it will be with a playable fighter.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
The developer in question is a new employee. And they made it clear they knew nothing, only replying to the rumors. It's their opinion Steve isn't in.

The community manager simply has an opinion that Steve shouldn't be in. Both are pretty meaningless at this point.
It appears that aubrey norris's tweet is currently unable to be retrieved,it could be an error/the tweet being old or it could be that aubrey has deleted her tweet,if the latter case is true,than that could mean that steve might be in smash in some way.anyhow i need your thoughts on this.
Screenshot_20200313-172243_Google.jpg

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
There is nindies direct today,which means that the resetera leak is true and there might a direct next week.if there is a smash announcement in the nintendo direct and i think steve would be a great way to start the 2nd fighters pass,anyhow when do you guys think steve is going to get announced for the 2nd fighters pass?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There is nindies direct today,which means that the resetera leak is true and there might a direct next week.if there is a smash announcement in the nintendo direct and i think steve would be a great way to start the 2nd fighters pass,anyhow when do you guys think steve is going to get announced for the 2nd fighters pass?
If Steve is in, which I really hope he is, I think he would be an excellent way to start off the pass; I think he very well could, too. He could also be revealed around E3, though, even though it’s gonna be online now(?). I just hope he isn’t last, though the wait would be worth it.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
If Steve is in, which I really hope he is, I think he would be an excellent way to start off the pass; I think he very well could, too. He could also be revealed around E3, though, even though it’s gonna be online now(?). I just hope he isn’t last, though the wait would be worth it.
I feel like steve is most likely going to be the first reveal or an e3 reveal i could see steve being the last reveal though that is less likely
It appears that aubrey norris's tweet is currently unable to be retrieved,it could be an error/the tweet being old or it could be that aubrey has deleted her tweet,if the latter case is true,than that could mean that steve might be in smash in some way.anyhow i need your thoughts on this.
View attachment 265612
This might be unrelated but i want to see your thoughts on this since i feel like this might be very important to steves chances

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel like steve is most likely going to be the first reveal or an e3 reveal i could see steve being the last reveal though that is less likely

This might be unrelated but i want to see your thoughts on this since i feel like this might be very important to steves chances
Idk about Aubrey; some of the other people working at Mojang like the idea of Steve in Smash anyway (though the people who have mentioned it likely wouldn’t know in their positions and it’s been some months I think so we don’t have to worry about what they said affecting Steve’s chances negatively), and I don’t think she would have any control over if he gets in or not. It’d be cool if it does mean something if her tweets were deleted, though; still, idk. It’s also possible they were deleted since she was a bit rude and a bit trollish in at least one or two others.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Idk about Aubrey; some of the other people working at Mojang like the idea of Steve in Smash anyway (though the people who have mentioned it likely wouldn’t know in their positions and it’s been some months I think so we don’t have to worry about what they said affecting Steve’s chances negatively), and I don’t think she would have any control over if he gets in or not. It’d be cool if it does mean something if her tweets were deleted, though; still, idk. It’s also possible they were deleted since she was a bit rude and a bit trollish in at least one or two others.
If she deleted because she seemed rude im glad that she realised her mistakes however i do find it strange that it was deleted quite recently

Top Bottom