• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Interesting movesets...as for Steve, here's what I have always imagined...

Neutral B - Place Block

Basically your video nailed it. You even used the same name "Place Block" instead of Block Place. The way I imagine it, you would mostly place Dirt, but occasionally you'd get your Iron, Gold, and Diamond blocks. Steve would start out with standard weapons by default, but acquiring more minerals makes your attacks that use swords and stuff more powerful

Side B - Splash Potion

Splash potions feel like an iconic part of Minecraft...as weird as that sounds to say. They're a super interesting sort of...weapon in the game. Plus, Steve could variate between different Potions which could contain different effects. One could be deadly poison or an explosion, and another could be a healing field.

I personally like the random elements with Hero but I could go either way for Steve. Either a Splash Potion of Harming/Posion or random potions, or even a fixed order.

Up B - Elytra's Flight

Basically described as in the video, yet again.

Down B - TNT Blast

I think adding a crafting mechanic to Steve would be way too gimmicky. His main gimmick is already the super unique place block move, at least that's how it felt like when I was envisioning it. Just like the potions, TNT feels iconic to Minecraft, to a much greater scale even. It could work similar to Place Block but you could place it under you.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently Steve can blink now in the Bedrock Edition beta, at least on the title screen (haven’t tried it myself yet). That’s cool and adds a bit of personality. I wonder if they’ll ever make it so his eyes change a bit in reaction to something? i.e. the tops of his eyes slanted down in anger when fighting a monster, his eyes widened when a creeper explodes and you’re not fighting it, etc. Maybe they’d widen when any monster comes at him before you attack the monster?

Though, I bet they’d at least make his eyes widen when hit in Smash.

edit: Yep, they do blink, just got on. Alex also blinks, and they blink on the title screen as well as ingame when you're using their skin. Other skins don't blink at all. Steve's skin got some minor updates; he's pretty much the same, just a bit of a difference in the shade of his skin and some minor changes to the texture, like the lines on the sides of his pants being a bit different and a sort-of shadow under his shirt on the back.

edit2: okay custom characters can blink but imported skins can’t, but Steve and Alex basically show this feature off. The writer for the custom character news post on the Minecraft website also called Steve and Alex notable and referred to them as characters, so we get a win.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So Minecon is today.

What does everyone expect to be added and which biome do y'all think will get the update first?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So they added emotes to Minecraft.

And someone on Twitter is still gatekeeping Steve saying that doesn’t matter.

I’ve had it with these gatekeeping jerks that can’t grow up.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What the heck is wrong with this guy?
(PS: send the link please)
I would send the link, but it’s been hours now and he’s been argued with by others as well so I don’t think we need to argue more. If you really want it, though, I’ll share it.

These arguments are really just silly and selfish, though, heh. His main reason for it not mattering was that “Steve would look wonky” so it was really just him pushing his opinion as fact, like every other person that decides to be a jerk...

Steve and Alex technically already had some stuff that gave them at least a bit of personality, anyway.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I would send the link, but it’s been hours now and he’s been argued with by others as well so I don’t think we need to argue more. If you really want it, though, I’ll share it.

These arguments are really just silly and selfish, though, heh. His main reason for it not mattering was that “Steve would look wonky” so it was really just him pushing his opinion as fact, like every other person that decides to be a jerk...

Steve and Alex technically already had some stuff that gave them at least a bit of personality, anyway.
My advice is to not focus so much on detractors and haters unless they're looking for genuine discussion and debate on a character, if someone is simply trolling then it's unlikely they'll change their opinion since they merely want to get a rise out of someone.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
And Steve hasn't reached the finals, seems the limbless wonder pulled through in the end.
Rayman's always been a fairly popular pick, so I'm not surprised. Regardless, he does have the status as a Spirit that could hold him back which Steve does not and, of course, fan polls don't at all affect who Sakurai/Nintendo will pick anyway.

I think the argument on showing "personality" is a fairly moot one. Even before emotes were announced, I've seen official merchandise of Steve (and Alex) with a big toothy grin which shows that Mojang is willing to give them expressions. And of course, Story Mode also gave Minecraft characters the ability to express emotions as well. I never got this argument anyway since Samus is a thing. As for the "wonkiness," we have a literal 2-D character that manages to fit in fine, so even that isn't really an issue.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Thought I should swing by and vocalize my support for Stevey Boi. I never rally for him, honestly. But Minecraft is indeed very dear to me. As someone who was lured into the dark by Online FPS games for a few years, when me and the homies picked up Minecraft it was an amazing change of pace. Minecraft carved out a spot for itself in Video Game history that could never be replicated. I would love to see Steve make it in.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I made some new video thumbnails.

Steve render by HypnoDeath (@Hypn0Drama) on Twitter.
Steve (Ultimate)2.png
Steve (Ultimate)3.png
Steve (Ultimate)4.png

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the pick icon would be the most fitting if we see Steve get added. Great job all around though!

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
The steve for smash account just got suspended, your thoughts?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The steve for smash account just got suspended, your thoughts?
Disappointed. They didn't seem to ever do anything bad, so I'm confused, too.

Their cause shall continue.

edit: Here's the link to the Steve in Smash post of mine on the Minecraft Feedback website, if anyone hasn't voted yet:
https://feedback.minecraft.net/hc/e...012051-Steve-in-Super-Smash-Brothers-Ultimate

edit2: SteveForSmash have a new account:

https://twitter.com/SteveForSmash64

apparently their original account was suspended because of Steve haters, and they have proof. Easily believable; while the haters are a minority, they're frickin stupid and annoying. Some of the haters frickin use that ugly render. Twitter's system frickin sucks.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I really hope we get another Microsoft rep post fighters pass, either Steve or Master Chief would completely obliterate the internet, and they deserve to be repped in the gaming hall of fame in any shape or form.

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
Hey folks! Popping in from the Doomslayer thread to say, we feel you! Our characters get laughed at a lot, don't they?
Anyway, good luck to ya!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Stevebros.... regroup!

Where we at? Well, no mii costume yet.

Microsoft seems hard to work with.

No representation for the best selling game in the world yet.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Stevebros.... regroup!

Where we at? Well, no mii costume yet.

Microsoft seems hard to work with.

No representation for the best selling game in the world yet.
Most Stevebros have taken to Twitter and Discord, I think.

It’s a shame this thread doesn’t get much activity anymore. I’m not even sure what to talk about; some Mojang members like the idea of Steve in Smash, my Steve for Smash post on Minecraft’s feedback site is still open for votes, idk what else. Hopefully the boom in Steve’s popularity has been noticed by Nintendo, and it started even before E3, so maybe he can finally get in through Pass 2.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Sorry to bring some bad news just after reviving the thread... :(

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aQ2cliZ

Edit: ugh get your **** together smashboards

Basically Fatmanonice said in his opinion Steve, Master Chief, Reimu, and a few others aren’t FP 5.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sorry to bring some bad news just after reviving the thread... :(

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aQ2cliZ

Edit: ugh get your **** together smashboards

Basically Fatmanonice said in his opinion Steve, Master Chief, Reimu, and a few others aren’t FP 5.
I wouldn't take that word seriously. As I recall, he said anything is basically speculation so he is merely speculating his opinion on who #5 isn't.

I personally don't believe since he A.) made several incorrect guesses (I think someone said he said no one post 2014 would be DLC. Cue Joker and Luminary) and B.) Hasn't leaked anything concrete.

Edit: Almost forgot, "in his opinion" is not the same as a concrete "yes/no", it's just that, an opinion

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Fatmanonice hasn’t heard Steve from those insider dudes, but there doesn’t seem to be anything against him; just nothing the insiders have heard, so it’s still possible Steve could come in the future. Fatmanonice has even said some of the names that are being passed around on their discord could end up not getting in, so they could end up getting a curveball. One character he even felt had good chances for fighter 5 ended up getting hit badly.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:
Top Bottom