• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’d honestly take a mii costume over nothing.

It’d still be disappointing of course, and the mii’s moves wouldn’t fit him aside from a sword slash if he’s a swordfighter, but I’d probably be more disappointed in nothing at all.

If we somehow manage to get more DLC, though, and it includes some more 3rd-parties, I will be fine without a costume since Steve’s chances would skyrocket (hopefully).

edit: nevermind we're still in the DLC race bois.

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
Steve not listed in the Microsoft Mii Costumes + New fighters confirmed for the future?

I'm thinking he's a lock!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I still think there's a chance he's #5, but more DLC definitely helps his chances.
I think the final character of pack 1 is either Doomguy or ryu hayabusa

Doomguy is higher

Doom 64 coming to switch and same day as doom eternal

And terry also comes out in November so pack 5 likely announced with terry info

It’s almost like they are prepping it up

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Something tells me Steve is a high possibility for season 2

No mii costume, and Microsoft was apparently pretty easy to work with when it came to Banjo...

COULD IT FINALLY BE HAPPENING?!

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, now we have more characters coming after the pass. I'm not sure how many we are going to get, but when he said "characters" it implies at least two. Steve is not only back in the running but does stand a pretty decent chance to make it. With Microsoft on board and his "rival," Banjo, in the game and not in his way, I say things are looking pretty good, though not guaranteed.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
But yeah, thinking it over, if we were to still assume that spirits/assist trophies deconfirm when it comes to season 2, we don't really have a lot of notable candidates left. Steve could definitely hold his own against the others

And with Sakurai himself being a huge Minecraft player, I can bet ya that if he had the chance to add it to Smash, he'd be all for it

The only real issue I can see getting in the way is Microsoft being a bit more strict when it comes to a franchise as big as Minecraft, though only time will tell with that,

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Microsoft was so willing to let Banjo in Smash, so part of me believes they'd be cooperative when it comes to the other IPs they own. They ain't no Square Enix that's for sure. I'm sure Nintendo realizes that ignoring Minecraft would be a wasted opportunity. Even Tetris has a song in the game, Minecraft has zero content in Smash. It's not unwise to claim that Minecraft is the biggest IP currently missing from Smash so far.

Naptec

Smash Cadet
Damn, the new DLC characters out of Pass really revived the thread...

But there's still hope for Steve, so that's good

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think still likely pick for fighter pack 5, the lack of a mii costume helps but also have to think Steves model would've bent like crazy on a Mii so I doubt they were gonna anyway. But it's nice to see people support the idea more again.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Microsoft was so willing to let Banjo in Smash, so part of me believes they'd be cooperative when it comes to the other IPs they own. They ain't no Square Enix that's for sure. I'm sure Nintendo realizes that ignoring Minecraft would be a wasted opportunity. Even Tetris has a song in the game, Minecraft has zero content in Smash. It's not unwise to claim that Minecraft is the biggest IP currently missing from Smash so far.
I'm in agreement here. It seems Microsoft is quite open to letting Nintendo use their property going by Banjo's treatment. We got a fair number of spirits, several remixes (the most out of all DLC characters from both this and the previous games), a stage and even a themed Spirit Board event to tie in with Banjo's release. The only thing we didn't get, surprisingly, were Mii Costumes, but that could be because there's more Microsoft content to come in either this last character in the pass or the ones that will come after it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm in agreement here. It seems Microsoft is quite open to letting Nintendo use their property going by Banjo's treatment. We got a fair number of spirits, several remixes (the most out of all DLC characters from both this and the previous games), a stage and even a themed Spirit Board event to tie in with Banjo's release. The only thing we didn't get, surprisingly, were Mii Costumes, but that could be because there's more Microsoft content to come in either this last character in the pass or the ones that will come after it.
Adding to that, there is absolutely no content from any other Rare property, not even the Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini data leaks.

This is very suspicious. What reason would there be to cut those, when the staff has plenty of dev time ahead of schedule?

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Adding to that, there is absolutely no content from any other Rare property, not even the Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini data leaks.

This is very suspicious. What reason would there be to cut those, when the staff has plenty of dev time ahead of schedule?
That's a good point, I didn't even think of that. I wonder if they'll pepper them in during Spirit Board events much like how Labo and Link's Awakening were handled or tied to a future Microsoft property coming to Switch much in they way one of the Dragon Quest spirits can be obtained by playing the DQ11 demo.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
I'm very down for this dude getting in the game now all of a sudden. Never played Minecraft in my life but now that the trolls are done with the crappy memes I feel like I see that there's a lot of genuine love for Steve and he seems like he could be pretty cool. With the current run of DLC hitting lots of different types of games and fan demographics I think Steve would be a good fit.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Welcome aboard.

Yeah, the Steve trolling was getting quite old and I'm glad to see it finally dissolve away. With Banjo in the game, it's good to see more people not being so apprehensive over Steve's inclusion as of late, it feels like the want for him has grown after all the leaks and memes faded away.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If y’all see Vergeben’s message on Gamefaqs going around, don’t worry. Using leakbait to see if people like something doesn’t make sense, since leaks aren’t supposed to happen and leakbait is just to help prevent the truth from coming out, and the leakbait would’ve been from last year when Banjo also started floating around so it shouldn’t matter for Season 2 DLC, Steve’s still in the running. This is especially so since it seems Season 2 isn’t even fully planned out yet since they could only announce that more DLC is coming, meaning the characters haven’t been 100% decided on, either.

tehponycorn on this site has also said he’s privy to info that shows Steve wasn’t leakbait, just that Verge had a bad source he should’ve looked into more. I don’t know if this means the person Sabi talked to is wrong, but either way it shouldn’t matter because of what I explained above. I trust tehponycorn’s word because of stuff he’s said before, and he seems like a good guy; other people seem to feel the same way.

And if you look at YouTube, Twitter, and the decent support elsewhere along with fanpolls, you know that when Vergeben says “people are mostly against Minecraft in Smash” that he’s spent too much time on Gamefaqs, lol.

edit: And even if Season 2 DLC was fully planned out, it still would’ve been after the game came out and so after the potential leakbait as well, so I’m sure it still wouldn’t matter.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If y’all see Vergeben’s message on Gamefaqs going around, don’t worry. Using leakbait to see if people like something doesn’t make sense, since leaks aren’t supposed to happen and leakbait is just to help prevent the truth from coming out, and the leakbait would’ve been from last year when Banjo also started floating around so it shouldn’t matter for Season 2 DLC, Steve’s still in the running. This is especially so since it seems Season 2 isn’t even fully planned out yet since they could only announce that more DLC is coming, meaning the characters haven’t been 100% decided on, either.

tehponycorn on this site has also said he’s privy to info that shows Steve wasn’t leakbait, just that Verge had a bad source he should’ve looked into more. I don’t know if this means the person Sabi talked to is wrong, but either way it shouldn’t matter because of what I explained above. I trust tehponycorn’s word because of stuff he’s said before, and he seems like a good guy; other people seem to feel the same way.

And if you look at YouTube, Twitter, and the decent support elsewhere along with fanpolls, you know that when Vergeben says “people are mostly against Minecraft in Smash” that he’s spent too much time on Gamefaqs, lol.

edit: And even if Season 2 DLC was fully planned out, it still would’ve been after the game came out and so after the potential leakbait as well, so I’m sure it still wouldn’t matter.
What's Vergeben say?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What's Vergeben say?
He said Steve was leakbait and (I think) he doesn’t know about the Minecraft content.

However, like I said, I don’t think this matters for the next round of DLC if it’s true, since the info was from last year before more DLC was decided on/planned out much. It does for the final character in the current round, though. tehponycorn also seems to know this leakbait stuff isn’t true.

Verge also thought the leakbait was used to see how people react, but that doesn’t make sense. He said it seemed most people were against Minecraft in Smash, but I think that was based on what he saw on Gamefaqs or something, and I think we can agree most people either love the idea or don’t mind based on other sites outside of that minority :p

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
From my experience, the majority of people who didn't want Steve were those who saw him as a direct threat to Banjo making it in. Now that Banjo is playable, that worry no longer exists and I've seen more people become open to Steve making it in. The only ones I see against him now are those upset over the months of trolling or those who think DLC should exclusively be regulated to older characters or non-Western characters, either of which I feel is pretty ridiculous.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the biggest thing that works against Steve is how all third party franchises in the pass originates from either 90s or 80s. I hope rest of the DLC gives more chance to newer series.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Regarding Verge, I believe he's simply backtracking on his Minecraft claims and damage controlling. He messed up, he trusted bad info and made it public instead of verifying it. Either way this doesn't have much meaning now. The second wave of DLC is completely new and even if Vergeben is telling the truth (I don't believe Steve was intentional leakbait) this doesn't have an implication for future DLC. Steve could very well be added in the second wave of DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the biggest thing that works against Steve is how all third party franchises in the pass originates from either 90s or 80s. I hope rest of the DLC gives more chance to newer series.
It doesn't help that more recent characters (at least, concerning the timeline of base game/Fighter Pass) tend to get deconfirmed, like Sans, Rex and Spring Man. The danger of him being a Mii costume is real.

Regarding Verge, I believe he's simply backtracking on his Minecraft claims and damage controlling. He messed up, he trusted bad info and made it public instead of verifying it. Either way this doesn't have much meaning now. The second wave of DLC is completely new and even if Vergeben is telling the truth (I don't believe Steve was intentional leakbait) this doesn't have an implication for future DLC. Steve could very well be added in the second wave of DLC.
Guy's never going to live down his personal assumption that MC would get a DLC boss. Spiral Mountain put the final nail on the coffin of DLC boss theories.

I still think he backed up the other people who leaked :ultbanjokazooie: just to save his reputation.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It doesn't help that more recent characters (at least, concerning the timeline of base game/Fighter Pass) tend to get deconfirmed, like Sans, Rex and Spring Man. The danger of him being a Mii costume is real.
I feel like he would've had his costume already with Banjo's release

Big hmmmmm indeed

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Steve being leakbait just doesn't make any sense when you think about it even a little bit. I can understand if somewhere along the line they tried making Steve work but couldn't without breaking the game, and the having to shelve or scrap him, but to claim he was in only as bait is just not believable.

Why would Sakurai or his team falsely leak out the main character of one of the biggest video games in the world?

Did they not think that would end up upsetting a great deal of people?

We're getting to the point where the people whom Minecraft defined video games to are coming of age and becoming the primary audience, it makes no sense to falsely make claims about a series so big and risk peeving them, especially just to test the waters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Steve being leakbait just doesn't make any sense when you think about it even a little bit. I can understand if somewhere along the line they tried making Steve work but couldn't without breaking the game, and the having to shelve or scrap him, but to claim he was in only as bait is just not believable.

Why would Sakurai or his team falsely leak out the main character of one of the biggest video games in the world?

Did they not think that would end up upsetting a great deal of people?

We're getting to the point where the people whom Minecraft defined video games to are coming of age and becoming the primary audience, it makes no sense to falsely make claims about a series so big and risk peeving them, especially just to test the waters.
Yeah, I mean, the Square-Enix leakbait stuff is enough of a stretch as it is, because the entire leaking scene would have been nuked to hell and back since SE hates spoilers and the square seven even existing would incite a witch hunt, let alone upsetting those who support Geno.

The only ones baiting are fakers who want fans to be actively disappointed with "realistic" expectations, which more or less have consistently been surpassed so far.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
He said Steve was leakbait and (I think) he doesn’t know about the Minecraft content.

However, like I said, I don’t think this matters for the next round of DLC if it’s true, since the info was from last year before more DLC was decided on/planned out much. It does for the final character in the current round, though. tehponycorn also seems to know this leakbait stuff isn’t true.

Verge also thought the leakbait was used to see how people react, but that doesn’t make sense. He said it seemed most people were against Minecraft in Smash, but I think that was based on what he saw on Gamefaqs or something, and I think we can agree most people either love the idea or don’t mind based on other sites outside of that minority :p
You got a source on these statements?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It sounds like a lot of tail-covering if you ask me.

"Steve is leak bait and that is why these 'leakers' and myself got things wrong but it's really because we were 'lied' to and not that 99% of leakers are making it all up and get lucky when they sometimes get things right. Minecraft content could still come or not, if it does, I'm right and if it doesn't then it's proof that the Smash team purposely lied to us."

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I found this on a official nintendo website
https://play.nintendo.com/activities/opinion-polls/nintendo-switch-road-trip-fun-poll/
Apparently it is a poll where the question is something along the lines of"what character would you bring in a road trip" and steve and alex is one of the answers,your thoughts?
See, Mojang?

Not only do the fans care about Steve and Alex as more than default skins, but Nintendo does, too.

inb4 more Mojang dudes start showing they care like at least a few have already and they just make strange decisions for new media

Last edited:
Top Bottom