• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Something I was thinking about earlier.

How practical would crafting even be in practice? It seems methodical, if it's to be in a series that's about people beating the tar out of each other as quickly as possible.
I think it could work if implemented, just have him upgrade his tools/armor within 3-5 seconds or so. Building blocks could be used to edge guard or extend the stage so a teammate could get back on more easily.

edit: if Steve has an animation where he actually moves his arms to craft stuff, perhaps opponents could even be damaged if they try to get on top of the crafting table and Steve hits them while working.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I imagine crafting could be done in some menu, being able to choose between making different things but only having limited resources to do so so choose wisely. Similar in concept to the Hero MP system but instead of a straight number, it'd be the number of specific items you have. As for how you get those resources, I think the moveset could recycle the resources, you can craft a sword but if you want a shovel you break your sword to do so. It's hard to bring up a clear concept for thats both fitting and good gameplay wise but Sakurai could do it.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Only issue is about that ballot is that it was a 2019 one, so it wouldn't have impacted Sakurai choice in any way, but knowing that Japan wants Steve is very good. I imagine its because Wii U era was where Japan really had their Minecraft era, constant best seller on the e-shop there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://t.co/EnYLQcrRnL https://twitter.com/R_Gamer_Takeshi/status/1126060567385366528?s=17

i don't know if you saw that, because it's kind of old, but man, knowing that Steve is 2nd in Japan while DQ Hero and Banjo, who were less higher than him on this ballot got in, makes me hope.
The Japanese ballot was for "who you expected to see in", not who they wanted the most. Steve was high up regardless, so people do like him nonetheless. Should be however noted that they expect a general Hero, not Erdrick specifically. Sakurai probably got requests for that to begin with via the regular Ballot, not Erdrick. Which also could be part of why he used a worldwide Hero option to make everyone pleased. Erdrick's skin was ...well, obviously, more for the Japanese fans, while Eight was officially for the Western fans. Solo just came out of nowhere(though Solo's second alt being similar to the 1st DQ protagonist makes sense. Many knew that character before any other DQ Hero).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Japanese ballot was for "who you expected to see in", not who they wanted the most. Steve was high up regardless, so people do like him nonetheless. Should be however noted that they expect a general Hero, not Erdrick specifically. Sakurai probably got requests for that to begin with via the regular Ballot, not Erdrick. Which also could be part of why he used a worldwide Hero option to make everyone pleased. Erdrick's skin was ...well, obviously, more for the Japanese fans, while Eight was officially for the Western fans. Solo just came out of nowhere(though Solo's second alt being similar to the 1st DQ protagonist makes sense. Many knew that character before any other DQ Hero).
Well, Solo gets points for being from the second most influential DQ entry after III, since it did introduce secondary characters with proper personalities.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Just imagine.

One day, when Steve gets in, we'll finally be able to pelvic thrust all over the battlefield.

We'll make all the other people T-bagging look like fools.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Just imagine.

One day, when Steve gets in, we'll finally be able to pelvic thrust all over the battlefield.

We'll make all the other people T-bagging look like fools.
I think Steves crouch is gonna be something more drastic than the sneak, like fully bent down like Megaman.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I think Steves crouch is gonna be something more drastic than the sneak, like fully bent down like Megaman.
I think its gonne be his crawling animation which is his swimming animation

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
An awesome remix of wet hands i found on youtube

Is it me or like dlc speculation has slowed down for not just steve but all characters in general(please correct me if im wrong)

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Is it me or like dlc speculation has slowed down for not just steve but all characters in general(please correct me if im wrong)
Theres no leaks like there was for DQ Hero and people are realising that the DLC is aiming for new stuff, stuff that isn't in the game already. So any big Nintendo stuff is out the running. Super popular 3rd party Banjo is also in so that just leaves less obvious stuff.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's mostly theoretical, of course.

Meanwhile, Vergeben hasn't said anything about leaks in ages, so there's no people blindly following his every word, which means there's just fake leaks on 4Chan for the most part.

I appreciate this calm though. Given that this encourages people to actually do other things. Once the 4th person arrives, it'll be a ****storm, guaranteed.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
This was shared in the shantae thread. Not sure how legit this may be though but wanted to share here

two possibly different leakers leaking similar Smash info.png

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This was shared in the shantae thread. Not sure how legit this may be though but wanted to share here

View attachment 232650
I think it’s likely fake, but it would be excellent if true.

Fake. Isn't it agreed that Spirits pretty much deconfirm at this point?
Spirits definitely aren’t a good sign, but they could always decide to add the characters anyway for whatever reason we don’t know (if they didn’t just make the spirit and then decide to make them playable).

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

View attachment 232650
This doesn't make any sense at all. Why would they announce the last 2 fighters when Banjo-Kazooie hasn't released yet. That means we're waiting for 3 characters that all have a different release date at the same time. The last character is most likely gonna release february 2020, so why would they announce the last character in august, that would mean that we'd have to wait for that character for 6-7 months. I'm gonna have to call this one fake.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This doesn't make any sense at all. Why would they announce the last 2 fighters when Banjo-Kazooie hasn't released yet. That means we're waiting for 3 characters that all have a different release date at the same time. The last character is most likely gonna release february 2020, so why would they announce the last character in august, that would mean that we'd have to wait for that character for 6-7 months. I'm gonna have to call this one fake.
That's what kills the leak for me. Nothing else really has any problems otherwise. Spirits are not some hard disconfirmation but a fan rule people made in how they work. It's a fan rule that a company can't have two characters as DLC as well. Same with the ridiculous idea 4chan can't have a real leak.

The leak is too early and the core details don't make any sense.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm leaning on fake. I just don't see the final two characters getting revealed together before Banjo even got released.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
That's what kills the leak for me. Nothing else really has any problems otherwise. Spirits are not some hard disconfirmation but a fan rule people made in how they work. It's a fan rule that a company can't have two characters as DLC as well. Same with the ridiculous idea 4chan can't have a real leak.

The leak is too early and the core details don't make any sense.
I'm leaning on fake. I just don't see the final two characters getting revealed together before Banjo even got released.
Yeah thats the only thing bugging me about it too. Unless Sakurai just wants to tell us everyone on the pass now. He did say hes not a fan of having people buy a season pass without knowing who is in it.

I mean, they can still surprise us in the future qith more characters released after, maybe announce more coming near the game awards.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nothing official has said this. Its just fan rules and sakurai has kept breaking fan rules
Unfortunately speculation is currently in a Mexican standoff combined with an Orwellian dictatorship, so our hands are tied when it comes to freely discussing anyone that's not a third party in several threads. We're pretty much stuck waiting for the rest of the year, so the best one can do is do stuff outside of here in the meantime.

I mean, they can still surprise us in the future qith more characters released after, maybe announce more coming near the game awards.
There was a datamine for WOL that showed several empty slots, but most people refuse to believe it.

I'm open to the possibility as well, but it really isn't fun having to come off like Cassandra all the time when I try to bring up the topic.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Unfortunately speculation is currently in a Mexican standoff combined with an Orwellian dictatorship, so our hands are tied when it comes to freely discussing anyone that's not a third party in several threads. We're pretty much stuck waiting for the rest of the year, so the best one can do is do stuff outside of here in the meantime.

There was a datamine for WOL that showed several empty slots, but most people refuse to believe it.

I'm open to the possibility as well, but it really isn't fun having to come off like Cassandra all the time when I try to bring up the topic.
Yeah its getting very annoying. People are just so dead set in their fan rules the refuse to even have discussions. Quite frustrating. I mean i feel that that this dlc pack is all 3rd party but i still like to talk about characters like medusa, donbe and hikari, and others.

But who is Cassandra?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah its getting very annoying. People are just so dead set in their fan rules the refuse to even have discussions. Quite frustrating. I mean i feel that that this dlc pack is all 3rd party but i still like to talk about characters like medusa, donbe and hikari, and others.

But who is Cassandra?
Long story short, a figure of Greek mythology that's cursed to see the future, but not be believed before the event happens (usually a disaster).

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I think it's more believing the slots mean anything instead of believing their existence. It seems they often throw in a large number of placeholders without actually making use of them judging by how DLC was handled last game. I still remember the roughly 14-or-so extra Marios added to Smash 4's data for extra characters but only amounted to Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta.

Additional DLC isn't impossible and could very well happen, but the extra slots don't mean it's coming either.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's more believing the slots mean anything instead of believing their existence. It seems they often throw in a large number of placeholders without actually making use of them judging by how DLC was handled last game. I still remember the roughly 14-or-so extra Marios added to Smash 4's data for extra characters but only amounted to Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta.

Additional DLC isn't impossible and could very well happen, but the extra slots don't mean it's coming either.
Well it's not like we have any other clues besides the overthinking and sleuthing attempts for possible leaks that are going on everywhere.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Made this Steve art. It's actually Steve as Sans because I'm making a Megalovania for Minecraft and Steve specifically (though I'm lazy admittedly, so it may take a long time before I actually finish it).

Steve Minertale.png

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Im noticing that geno has a recent spike has a resurgence as a likely candidate in smash bros but i feel like geno has way more weighing him down than steve in my opinion

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Im noticing that geno has a recent spike has a resurgence as a likely candidate in smash bros but i feel like geno has way more weighing him down than steve in my opinion
Mainly because people thought the costume would be back with DQ, though its nothing clear since Chocobo hat didn't get added either. Plus he still has a major spirit in the game.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Looking back at pre e3 speculation i feel like many confuse longevity with legacy because of the argument "banjo has legacy and steve has relevancy" because i wont neceassarily say banjo has a stronger legacy than steve

osby

Smash Obsessed
Looking back at pre e3 speculation i feel like many confuse longevity with legacy because of the argument "banjo has legacy and steve has relevancy" because i wont neceassarily say banjo has a stronger legacy than steve
When Smash fans talk about "legacy", most of the time they just mean "age". Best not to care about that, it's an argument that old fans use to reject anything new that scares them.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Joker is in and is entirely brand new so when people say "this characters had a long history" and use that against someone new they don't have ground to stand on.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
To add to what everyone else said, Minecraft is over ten years old at this point. Treating relevancy as the only strength for Steve's inclusion is extremely misguided considering Minecraft's iconic status rivals Super Mario and Pac-Man at this point. Think of it this way, if you take a photo of Steve and show it to some random person on the street then they'll probably recognize that it's someone from Minecraft due to the game's unique design and popularity. If you do the same to 90% of the cast currently in Smash Bros then they'll be stumped to guess who it is. Funnily enough the people arguing against Steve's inclusion almost remind me of the same people that argued against Pac-Man's inclusion in Smash.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I genuinely do not understand why people hate steve so far as to threaten to boycott smash bros,like,what kind of reason do they have to justify the action of boycotting smash over a single character

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I genuinely do not understand why people hate steve so far as to threaten to boycott smash bros,like,what kind of reason do they have to justify the action of boycotting smash over a single character
Because there's a strong hatebase for how kiddified MC is perceived as, no thanks to Microsoft's marketing pretty much excluding general audiences.

And by kiddy I don't mean Kirby levels, but Pajama Sam levels.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Because there's a strong hatebase for how kiddified MC is perceived as, no thanks to Microsoft's marketing pretty much excluding general audiences.

And by kiddy I don't mean Kirby levels, but Pajama Sam levels.
If thats the reason than the steve hatebase is extremely hypocritical as smash bros is a game for all ages

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think the haters just assume all Minecraft fans are kids, despite it being clear there’s a wide range of ages if they actually took part in the community or have seen some people play it or talk about it. It’s sad, really, because even if the majority is kids, so what? Let kids enjoy things, dang it. It doesn’t help that the Minecon Earth people were cheesy and spoke as if everyone in the crowd was under 7 years old (the XBox event last year felt the same way, however, tbh, and not just the Minecraft part of it), although their newer stuff lately has seemed more family-friendly instead of just kid-friendly imo, I dunno. I’m enjoying it, so idk. But once again, let kids enjoy things...

Some haters don’t even bring that up, though, they just try to push their opinions as facts and it’s just as annoying. Some people even assume stuff about Minecraft fans like “they don’t care about Steve” when there’s evidence that supports the contrary, including over 90,000 people that want him in Smash (that nice Steve animated moveset video I think we’ve all watched before) and a good number of people that have acknowledged Steve, featured him in art and builds, and made art and builds of him specifically, sometimes with Alex as well or having Alex separate. It’s frankly just very annoying and the haters just end up making themselves look very childish tbh.

I’m fine with people disliking Steve and Minecraft, but the reasons some people have given? And how some people have acted? They’re ridiculous. Thankfully, the amount of fans is actually much, much greater than the haters, who are a minority in comparison. I think that’s obvious despite the small group of fans in this thread, including the fact that there’s likely many silent people who’d like the idea or want him in, due to how popular Steve in Smash videos get alone.

I really love Minecraft, and have since 2011 when I first played it, and before some jerks on YouTube and stuff and, starting last year, Smash speculation, I thought there was no way anyone could hate this game, let alone this much. Not to mention I don’t even take stuff as seriously as these haters do, even if I actually do still take Minecraft very seriously, so not knowing any better, I didn’t even expect there to be people like this. It’s very disappointing.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's also a few unofficial novels about Steve I saw at my job. I don't mean the stupid one about him farting that people love to bring up (which isn't there by the way), but actual spin-offs about him going on adventures.

If people didn't care about him at all, would he get those? I think not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom