• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
It's solely because Banjo made it in. For some reason people created this rule in their head that it's either one or the other.
It's such a limited way of thinking...It's crazy. I never got where these supposed rules come from, since the only real established rules are no non-video game characters (except R.O.B. since he counts as a video game sort of...)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It's such a limited way of thinking...It's crazy. I never got where these supposed rules come from, since the only real established rules are no non-video game characters (except R.O.B. since he counts as a video game sort of...)
Except even that "rule" has never been followed as Samurai has toyed with the idea of James Bond being added. The only reason he hasn't added outside characters like that is simply because of how messy getting the licenses would be. It's all a matter of practicality instead of principle, and I'm certain we would have gotten someone like Goku had he not been held behind having to negotiate multiple unrelated businesses to get permission for him.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Except even that "rule" has never been followed as Samurai has toyed with the idea of James Bond being added. The only reason he hasn't added outside characters like that is simply because of how messy getting the licenses would be. It's all a matter of practicality instead of principle, and I'm certain we would have gotten someone like Goku had he not been held behind having to negotiate multiple unrelated businesses to get permission for him.
Actually, as Sakurai writes in his Book, this rule is actually one he follows. He deconfirms all characters like Goku saying Smash is a purely gaming crossover. (Gamexplain even did a vid on that https://youtu.be/qGSEZm8WRVc)
He thought about adding James Bond because of his hit revolutionary game, but not actually being a Video Game character is probably why Bond isn’t in in the end.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Minecraft youtubers such as ibxtoycat and logdotzip has showed support for steve in smash bros
Nice.

Honestly, every video I've seen about Steve in Smash or one with Steve animations or a moveset...they all get a lot of likes, with little dislikes in comparison. One video even had 60K likes, and only almost 1,000 dislikes. Still a decent number of people who don't want him, but far outnumbered by the people who actively want him or at least like / love the idea or are okay with it. The whole idea that "Steve isn't very well-loved or wanted in the Smash community" is silly.

edit: Also, I found this awesome youtube thumbnail for Steve in Smash:
https://www.deviantart.com/pollocrack/art/Steve-Thumbnail-783853117

-Apparently it's made by the same guy who made those Smash animations for Steve:
https://www.youtube.com/user/paulocreeper123/videos

-I just found it in the comment section of this remix of Fallen Kingdom:

Last edited:

Lichzim

Smash Rookie
Apologies for the inactivity folks. I don't use this site very often. With Banjo in, Microsoft reps are now possible. This means STEVE can dig his way into the battle....that is. If he comes to smash. Anyways I'll try and update the supporters list with all the new supporters we've been gettin.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hi everyone.

As you saw from the title, this thread is under new management. I have taken the Diamond Pickaxe and am ready to continue this thread's legacy!

Don't worry, it's still the same thread as before!

Lichzim

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone.

As you saw from the title, this thread is under new management. I have taken the Diamond Pickaxe and am ready to continue this thread's legacy!

Don't worry, it's still the same thread as before!
Yes it is indeed the same thread. I've given SneakyLink the thread due to me being admittedly inactive on this site. That and I don't use the site very often so giving it to a more active member just seems like the right thing to do. Hopefully Steve can DIG his way into smash and we can all play as our favorite blocky miner.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Another Copyright situation i'd like to point out, the Switch version of Minecraft E-shop page has the Publisher of Mojang, with the info at the bottom all being Mojang. Persona Q2 on 3DS has Atlus and Sega in the copyright section. I think Minecraft is much more independent overall than people give it credit for. Wouldn't even fall into the mii costume rep thing like persona does.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, as Sakurai writes in his Book, this rule is actually one he follows. He deconfirms all characters like Goku saying Smash is a purely gaming crossover. (Gamexplain even did a vid on that https://youtu.be/qGSEZm8WRVc)
He thought about adding James Bond because of his hit revolutionary game, but not actually being a Video Game character is probably why Bond isn’t in in the end.
The reasons were pretty much all licensing and realistic firearms. That "rule" didn't come up till Brawl's development, when he spoke specifically of characters who are eligible as 3rd parties.

In order to license James Bond, you need to license the current actor, stuff with Rareware, either the book or movie owners(or both) depending upon how he's depicted, and that's before going into the weapons issue. In addition, Rareware was going through the fallout of being bought, which made licensing even harder. So "Adult" reasons is actually because the adults are still working on who owns what at the time too. It's more literal than we thought.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
The reasons were pretty much all licensing and realistic firearms. That "rule" didn't come up till Brawl's development, when he spoke specifically of characters who are eligible as 3rd parties.

In order to license James Bond, you need to license the current actor, stuff with Rareware, either the book or movie owners(or both) depending upon how he's depicted, and that's before going into the weapons issue. In addition, Rareware was going through the fallout of being bought, which made licensing even harder. So "Adult" reasons is actually because the adults are still working on who owns what at the time too. It's more literal than we thought.
While licensing problems may play a part in why it hasn’t happened, from what Sakurai wrote it’a clear that he personally doesn’t want non-gaming characters in smash, so that’s the only rule that we know for a fact he follows

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While licensing problems may play a part in why it hasn’t happened, from what Sakurai wrote it’a clear that he personally doesn’t want non-gaming characters in smash, so that’s the only rule that we know for a fact he follows
Which doesn't mean it existed yet at all.

There's really nothing remotely pointing to it existing before Brawl as a rule. He gave very clear reasonings for the character, and none had to do with "doesn't want non-video game characters in". He didn't have any official ruleset for 3rd parties till Brawl's development. It's a decent theory, but has no real evidence backing it up.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Which doesn't mean it existed yet at all.

There's really nothing remotely pointing to it existing before Brawl as a rule. He gave very clear reasonings for the character, and none had to do with "doesn't want non-video game characters in". He didn't have any official ruleset for 3rd parties till Brawl's development. It's a decent theory, but has no real evidence backing it up.
I mean, I can see how it’s not clear how it was before Brawl, so maybe Bond would’ve gotten in if the copyright situation was simpler, but we do have clear evidence that at least right now Sakurai won’t let non-gaming characters in

Edit
Also SneakyLink SneakyLink now that we have a proper supporter list could you add me to it?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Morning everyone. I found a neat Steve moveset video just now.

Creativity is really amazing isn’t it?

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
. The only reason he hasn't added outside characters like that is simply because of how messy getting the licenses would be.
You say that, but look at the DLC for Smash 4. I guarentee you why Banjo-Kazooie were added in was to shut up the west, same reason why Ridley was added in.

People make these rules because THEY SEE things happen that reinforce those rules.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

It's a really well done video that showcases how Steve would look like fighting. Although I'm a bit disappointed that the video didn't incorporate crafting as part of the moveset. Also add me to the supporter list as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice

I personally don’t like the usage of the plastic skin for Steve. It looks wayyyyy worse than normal Steve imo and I don’t think it would look good in Smash either.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I really like this, though I think crafting could be incorporated in some way, and building blocks could be restricted to the neutral special; this is also the video I mentioned having 60k likes and only almost 1k dislikes, and I see it's gone up by 11k likes and only about 200 dislikes.

I really don't get why people think Steve wouldn't be popular or cause hype.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure when people say not popular or not hype they're just trying to find any excuse to shut him down. Minecraft in Smash at this point is literally the biggest franchise you can add at this point and EVERYONE knows what Minecraft is. I think people even who don't want Minecraft in Smash will like it when its actually in.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

I like the moveset, but in all honesty, I do expect more weapon usage and stuff. A moveset I made has Steve use one block but being able to use it as a movable projectile (a reference to Kragg from RoA). Realistically, I don't see two moves utilizing building.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Hi guys. I've always been a bit of an Minecraft fan, so I think Steve in Smash would be really cool. Sign me up on the support list (if there is one)!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Speaking of, I had a dream that Spider-Man was the last character to make it in. My mind was blown.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So I saw that in Minecraft Earth, the mobs can blink; and it's not just the eyes' pixels being instantly replaced, but a texture that blends with the rest of the mob's texture going down the eyes' pixels like actual blinking; though, I'm guessing Minecraft Dungeons has this sort of thing as well, at least for the players.

I'm also thinking of asking Jeb about Steve in Smash, but I don't want to bother him. I guess it wouldn't hurt, though, since other people have asked others about certain characters. I also want to ask Phil but I feel it's too soon; we just got Banjo-Kazooie so, y'know.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm also thinking of asking Jeb about Steve in Smash, but I don't want to bother him. I guess it wouldn't hurt, though, since other people have asked others about certain characters. I also want to ask Phil but I feel it's too soon; we just got Banjo-Kazooie so, y'know.
Meh. If you really want Steve in Smash, I don't see any issue with asking about him.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So I saw that in Minecraft Earth, the mobs can blink; and it's not just the eyes' pixels being instantly replaced, but a texture that blends with the rest of the mob's texture going down the eyes' pixels like actual blinking; though, I'm guessing Minecraft Dungeons has this sort of thing as well, at least for the players.

Go ahead and ask them, Banjo didn't get the big momentum he had until people asked Phil on twitter and he replied.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Surprised I have never voiced my support here, considering how I have felt about Minecraft and Steve in Smash. You can put me down as a supporter.

I have been hearing that Minecraft has been rising in popularity again. Is that true? I won't lie, the idea of Minecraft gaining it's old popularity is making me a bit nostalgic.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Surprised I have never voiced my support here, considering how I have felt about Minecraft and Steve in Smash. You can put me down as a supporter.

I have been hearing that Minecraft has been rising in popularity again. Is that true? I won't lie, the idea of Minecraft gaining it's old popularity is making me a bit nostalgic.
I've seen more and more people picking the game back up again. As of March the game has over 90 million active people playing it monthly, so suffice to say the game has been getting more popular as time went on.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Added to the support list!

As for popularity, I think the showcase of Minecraft Earth and Minecraft Dungeons has helped shown that the brand is more than just an open sandbox game.

Personally I’m excited for Dungeons seeing as I also enjoyed Gauntlet (that old Midway game), along with an older title (Tower of Doom on Intellivision). Plus a unique experience in the Minecraft world is somewhat intriguing.

That’s just my personal thoughts.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I've seen more and more people picking the game back up again. As of March the game has over 90 million active people playing it monthly, so suffice to say the game has been getting more popular as time went on.
Added to the support list!

As for popularity, I think the showcase of Minecraft Earth and Minecraft Dungeons has helped shown that the brand is more than just an open sandbox game.

Personally I’m excited for Dungeons seeing as I also enjoyed Gauntlet (that old Midway game), along with an older title (Tower of Doom on Intellivision). Plus a unique experience in the Minecraft world is somewhat intriguing.

That’s just my personal thoughts.
I saw Vanoss make a video of the game today. IT says something when the site of that triggered alarm bells and made me look into this more. It also says something when there was a ton of stuff in the video that I did not recognize. I really have been away for too long. Glad to hear that the increase in popularity is likely due to the expansion of the brand.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Should the minecraft rep be called minecrafter or steve
Steve. The character isn't really a Class in Minecraft itself. Minecraft Dungeons is its own thing. Steve's counterpart, who actually has a different design(but same proportions like many skins are meant to be), is Alex. It'd make sense to be a Wii Fit Trainer split in this case. Or if you will, Olimar/Alph.

The main character didn't have a name from the start, but it's on all the merchandise and you can't confuse Steve with someone else. It's not like with Red and Ash(or that you'd want to use the Class of the Pokemon Trainer with an interchangeable name to easily represent the class fairly well. It makes sense since you change names for yourself in Pokemon vastly often. This isn't really a concept in the same way for Minecraft).

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Steve. The character isn't really a Class in Minecraft itself. Minecraft Dungeons is its own thing. Steve's counterpart, who actually has a different design(but same proportions like many skins are meant to be), is Alex. It'd make sense to be a Wii Fit Trainer split in this case. Or if you will, Olimar/Alph.

The main character didn't have a name from the start, but it's on all the merchandise and you can't confuse Steve with someone else. It's not like with Red and Ash(or that you'd want to use the Class of the Pokemon Trainer with an interchangeable name to easily represent the class fairly well. It makes sense since you change names for yourself in Pokemon vastly often. This isn't really a concept in the same way for Minecraft).
Doesn't Alex have a ever so slightly smaller build, though? Probably irrelevant, because Alph (suit and all) is smaller than Olimar.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doesn't Alex have a ever so slightly smaller build, though? Probably irrelevant, because Alph (suit and all) is smaller than Olimar.
Slightly, but it's still an interchangeable skin. A lot of them are easy to do. The skins overall are the same proportions. Just like the Echoes are. Or many of the alt costumes.

It'd still fit easily without a stretch.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Her arms are three pixels wide instead of four, but their other dimensions are the same so it shouldn't be a problem.

Should the minecraft rep be called minecrafter or steve
I'd be disappointed if they didn't use Steve's name, but hey if we get him we get him. I guess "Minecrafter" would make sense if they somehow got skins from players or used random skins like mobs and such, but I'd just expect Steve and Alex maybe Herobrine.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Assuming future Smashes have third parties, and Microsoft and Nintendo stay this close in relation, Steve is in. It's not a matter of if, but when.

...but when is still a valid question, assuming you don't think he's in.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Do you all think that steve should adopt some of the elements from minecraft dungeons in their moveset(ignoring the fact that dungeons will not be coming out until 2020)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, I asked Jens about Steve / Minecraft in Smash a couple days ago. No reply yet; maybe sometime. I plan on asking Phil at some later time.

Do you all think that steve should adopt some of the elements from minecraft dungeons in their moveset(ignoring the fact that dungeons will not be coming out until 2020)
The corrupt beacon and the hammer would be cool, but I wouldn't mind if they stuck with basic Minecraft.

Top Bottom