• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
At the very least we know Minecraft content is guaranteed, we'll have to wait and see to know what that content is. I won't deny there's a small possibility that Steve might be part of the later challenger packs, but if he appears as a Mii costume with Banjo's pack then I believe he's not coming for this game. Even if Steve isn't playable in this game, I have high hopes he'll be playable in the next game.

Minecraft is a game that is as influential as Pac-Man and Super Mario, it's a game that defined a generation and impacted the gaming industry hugely. Before Minecraft there was no game like it, people in the west were too scared to independently develop video games without publishers since they thought it would lose to the market of triple A games. Minecraft proved that wrong, and with it came a renaissance of multiple different indie titles of wide genres coming out. It changed the open world genre as we know it and bought new concepts to life. I haven't even talked about it's cultural impact and how it has been used as an education tool by schools to help teach kids. It's a game that withstood the test of time and is still played heavily by everyone ten years after it's initial release. It is the best selling game of all time with the most active player base right now, not even Fortnite managed to beat Minecraft's monthly active player base. It's a simple looking game yet complex enough to warrant playing it for many years.

Throughout speculation I haven't seen any legitimate points for why Minecraft shouldn't get a playable fighter, all what I saw were layman complaints about how it's animations wouldn't work. Which is funny because we already have characters in the roster that suffer from the same problems that Steve supposedly has yet they work just fine. But even setting aside those characters for a second, we already have lone animators making videos on how Steve would fight in Smash, and those are people working by themselves! So I believe it's not illogical to think a triple A studio would be creative enough to create a move set for Steve that would work fine.

I do honestly believe Steve joining Smash is an inevitability, as it is really hard to ignore the titan that is Minecraft. With Microsoft being on board for Smash I can see Steve being one of the front-runners for third parties joining the next Smash game. The only competition Steve has is Master Chief, and this could go either way honestly. With all that said, Minecraft isn't gonna go anywhere. It will remain in the gaming spotlight for many years to come.

Last edited:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
With such a gigantic phenomenon as Minecraft is, personally I think getting anything but a fighter would seem unfitting. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather see nothing from Minecraft than just a spirit or Mii.

I'm still not giving up hope tho, with a giant like Microsoft there's no reason for Nintendo to limit them to one rep just to follow some fanmade rule.

Dacowboykid

Smash Rookie
Banjo being in just makes the possibility of Steve in possibly fighter pass 2 or smash 6

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've been saying in the speculation thread that I feel with Nintendo trying to reach different demographics our next fighter will be a more "casual" (or if you prefer "universal") choice. Now, I admit that my preferred picks would be a Style Savvy character, Professor Layton, or Phoenix Wright, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nintendo went with Steve. Every character in the pass appeals to a different demographic - modern RPG fans, classic RPG fans (and Japan in general), and fans of gaming who left Nintendo during the GameCube era.

That said, if Steve is a Mii costume released with Banjo, that to me kills his chances. Will have to wait and see. With that in mind though I do believe the Minecraft content is indeed coming in some way.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
For now, we just gotta play the waiting game for when Banjo releases. Joker didn't come with any new content outside of the Persona series, not even anything to do with Shin Megami Tensei. Joker's spirits were also exclusively Persona 5. It makes no sense for Banjo to come with content from an entirely different franchise when Joker didn't even come with content from his sister series.

Having said that, Joker did come with two returning Mii Costumes - Atlus is SEGA, after all. Being the first Microsoft rep, Banjo would have no old Mii Costumes to bring back, so you could make the argument that those empty spots could be filled with Minecraft costumes.

If Banjo comes with any Minecraft Mii Costumes, then Steve is off the table. If he doesn't, however, then that infamous "Minecraft content" that's been talked about by three of the most recurring leakers would be mysteriously missing, and I would wager that Steve could very much still be a playable fighter alongside Banjo. Those saying that there can only be "one third party character per company" seem to be forgetting Mega Man and Ryu in Smash 4.

Only time will tell, of course. It's best to be cautious, for the time being.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He's gonna be a mii costume which is pretty perfect.
You're saying it like it's a fact, which we don't know for sure. Also I wouldn't use the word "perfect", considering most people here want him to be playable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of, I'd like all AT's to be Mii costumes so we can somewhat play as them.

But yeah, I'm good with a Mii costume if he isn't fully playable.

Understandably, not everybody likes having a Mii costume option.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Speaking of, I'd like all AT's to be Mii costumes so we can somewhat play as them.

But yeah, I'm good with a Mii costume if he isn't fully playable.

Understandably, not everybody likes having a Mii costume option.
I'm fine with it but I want more than a Mii costume lol
If Steve doesn't become playable now then I expect demand for him will increase by quite a large margin in the next Smash game. Lately I've been seeing more and more Minecraft fans expressing their support to see Steve in Smash.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I feel like a majority of people sleep on the fact that Minecraft is WAY more so Mojang than Microsoft. It's like if Sakurai went to Sega for Joker than Atlus. Microsoft does technically own Minecraft but its not in the rareware sense of directly in the company, Rare isn't even on the credits for Banjo trailer its just Microsoft. But yeah we'll have to see if Banjo brings with him some Mii costumes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like a majority of people sleep on the fact that Minecraft is WAY more so Mojang than Microsoft. It's like if Sakurai went to Sega for Joker than Atlus. Microsoft does technically own Minecraft but its not in the rareware sense of directly in the company, Rare isn't even on the credits for Banjo trailer its just Microsoft. But yeah we'll have to see if Banjo brings with him some Mii costumes.
Microsoft 100% owns it. The only reason to go to Mojang is for tips on how to represent it, not for licensing.

Sakurai went to Sega to get Joker, yes. He can't go to Atlus to actually get the character. Licensing has nothing to do with what company publishes or even creates a game, it solely is based upon who owns the IP.

I'm fine with it but I want more than a Mii costume lol
If Steve doesn't become playable now then I expect demand for him will increase by quite a large margin in the next Smash game. Lately I've been seeing more and more Minecraft fans expressing their support to see Steve in Smash.
Indeed. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Who knows, we could get non-FP fighters again. Though I think only Echo DLC is likely beyond the FP. And I'm not banking on that either.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah, Notch sold Mojang and Minecraft to Microsoft for a whole bunch of money, over a billion dollars I believe (edit: it was 2.5 billion dollars, to clarify); so, Microsoft definitely owns them.

I can see the confusion, though; Microsoft seems much more loose with Mojang and Minecraft than any of the other studios and IPs they own, though I guess they've gotten better at that since they finally let Rare make what they want. Plus, Minecraft was already on other platforms, and they couldn't just take it off of them; that'd be bad. To be honest, though, Phil Spencer seems to have made it much better; they worked with Nintendo when putting Minecraft on their systems, and now we have Banjo-Kazooie; and to be honest, what Phil said in that B-K interview was true: they have worked with Nintendo before, having Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise on the DS, and Nintendo actually needs to get permission from Rare to re-release DK64 due to it having their Jetpac game (I think Nintendo requires their permission? I remember other users saying this in the B-K thread, and it made sense so), however I didn't know DKC also required licensing stuff from them...

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Weird thing to pull out but the Minecraft 2DS XL doesn't have Microsoft written anywhere on it so I know that they can collab without Microsoft directly.
2DS XL.PNG
2DS XL 2.PNG

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You're saying it like it's a fact, which we don't know for sure. Also I wouldn't use the word "perfect", considering most people here want him to be playable.
Oh my bad its not a fact at all, I was just thinking Microsoft will most likely get some mii costumes along with their dlc pack like Sega did with Joker, so I'm expecting to see Steve, Master Chief and some others as mii costumes is all.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Weird thing to pull out but the Minecraft 2DS XL doesn't have Microsoft written anywhere on it so I know that they can collab without Microsoft directly.
Interesting, this adds even more to the confusion; perhaps they're even looser with Mojang and Minecraft than I thought. They certainly helped Mojang out, though, as is apparent with Bedrock Edition (or "Better Together" version), and XBox Game Studios is even credited for that version as well as the Education Edition. Mojang seems to publish the game themselves, however...but I don't know the credits in each version of the game aside from Java Edition which is certainly only Mojang, so I'm not sure...

However I wouldn't be surprised if Rareware merchandise had no credits to Microsoft; Rare is still the company that created B-K and the like, so I'm sure it'd be the same with Mojang and Minecraft.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My guess is Microsoft had to obviously approve it, but otherwise they licensed it from Mojang. But this is interesting to know even then. It's also possible they didn't want the Microsoft logo on a literal Nintendo system you buy. It would look really strange. I doubt Microsoft was uninvolved.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Interesting, this adds even more to the confusion; perhaps they're even looser with Mojang and Minecraft than I thought. They certainly helped Mojang out, though, as is apparent with Bedrock Edition (or "Better Together" version), and XBox Game Studios is even credited for that version as well as the Education Edition. Mojang seems to publish the game themselves, however...but I don't know the credits in each version of the game aside from Java Edition which is certainly only Mojang, so I'm not sure...

However I wouldn't be surprised if Rareware merchandise had no credits to Microsoft; Rare is still the company that created B-K and the like, so I'm sure it'd be the same with Mojang and Minecraft.
I'd agree, but then we have the copyright for Banjo in Smash completely omitting Rare completely and only Microsoft being mentioned. You can even see it on the website now. It certainly is weird.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'd agree, but then we have the copyright for Banjo in Smash completely omitting Rare completely and only Microsoft being mentioned. You can even see it on the website now. It certainly is weird.
That is a bit weird. Of course, Rare would still be credited as composer for the B-K music arrangements just like they are now for DKC.

Maybe its a sign there's more Microsoft content? Technically speaking though, the Switch version of Minecraft doesn't even have Microsoft in the opening logos (Bedrock at least) but yeah it is strange to see MS next to all these big Japan companies.

Over time, we'll get used to it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So...

If Steve gets in with B-K, or gets into the next game, which Minecraft music tracks would y'all want?

I like just about all of them, but I'd personally go with Minecraft (same title as the game), Haggstrom, Sweden, Mice on Venus, Living Mice, Subwoofer Lullaby, Wet Hands, Wait, Cat + Dog, Aria Math, Taswell, Axolotl, a Nether track, and an End track. Probably some others as well, such as Key, Beginning, Moog City 2, and Calm 4 if they're willing to bring back or remix an old test track that sounds pretty cool, and isn't actually "calm" at all (as I said, I like just about all of them, so I guess I should just stop here :p ).

There's actually a Smash Bros.-styled remix of Subwoofer Lullaby, made by Motorblade:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I don't remember exactly what was said if it was. I thought I'd bring up a topic of discussion.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So...

If Steve gets in with B-K, or gets into the next game, which Minecraft music tracks would y'all want?

I like just about all of them, but I'd personally go with Minecraft (same title as the game), Haggstrom, Sweden, Mice on Venus, Living Mice, Subwoofer Lullaby, Wet Hands, Wait, Cat + Dog, Aria Math, Taswell, Axolotl, a Nether track, and an End track. Probably some others as well, such as Key, Beginning, Moog City 2, and Calm 4 if they're willing to bring back or remix an old test track that sounds pretty cool, and isn't actually "calm" at all (as I said, I like just about all of them, so I guess I should just stop here :p ).

There's actually a Smash Bros.-styled remix of Subwoofer Lullaby, made by Motorblade:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I don't remember exactly what was said if it was. I thought I'd bring up a topic of discussion.
Hmm
For music there's tons you can choose, my personal picks would be Sweden, Double Time, Wet Hands, Agile Accelerando, Time is of the Essence, Minecraft, Living Mice, Biome Fest, Aria Math, Haunt Muskie, Danny, Subwoofer Lullaby.

Regardless of which song we might get, I think we can all agree that Sweden is one of the first songs that will be picked for Smash. Speaking of which, someone made a Smash Bros styled remix of it:

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hmm
For music there's tons you can choose, my personal picks would be Sweden, Double Time, Wet Hands, Agile Accelerando, Time is of the Essence, Minecraft, Living Mice, Biome Fest, Aria Math, Haunt Muskie, Danny, Subwoofer Lullaby.

Regardless of which song we might get, I think we can all agree that Sweden is one of the first songs that will be picked for Smash. Speaking of which, someone made a Smash Bros styled remix of it:
A few of those I don't think I've even heard of; I gotta listen to them some time. I'm sure they'll be good :)

That Sweden remix is very good; it brings back nostalgia. I'm afraid Crunchii took it from here, though; it wasn't intended for Smash, but it'd still fit to be honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk-DaZ_wB4A

Sweden would definitely be one of the first ones picked, I believe; it's very iconic, and is one of the original "calm" tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
After too many hours and too much wasted effort I have created a mockup of a promotional fighter's pass image that illustrates in my opinion the best possible spenario right now

https://imgur.com/a/Zn2nF9s

(I took elements from many different sources, the face for Steve was taken from jaredcamp83 on Blend Swap)

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Did people support steve prior to smash ultimate or during the smash 4 ballot

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm wondering, if Steve isn't a fighter, do you think they'd do a boxy Mii Swordfighter costume?

Just talking hypotheticals, there's still a chance of him being character 4 or 5

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Did people support steve prior to smash ultimate or during the smash 4 ballot
Funnily enough, I saw plenty of people request Steve during the Smash 4 days on Miiverse, before the ballot was even a thing. It must have been relatively early in its lifetime, because I remember saying something along the lines of "Minecraft will never get in because it has no history with Nintendo, and we only get two third party guests" or something.

Man, how times have changed.

I'm wondering, if Steve isn't a fighter, do you think they'd do a boxy Mii Swordfighter costume?

Just talking hypotheticals, there's still a chance of him being character 4 or 5
If no Minecraft content is announced alongside Banjo, I'm expecting Steve to be a fighter. But if he were a Mii Costume, I really hope the Mii wears like a cardboard box that fully covers their body - like the Black Knight and Skull Kid costumes.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Hay guys a banjo fan here ! Remember banjo & kazooie are seen as a rare rep not a M$ one & steve would be a Mojang rep not a M$ one

if we don't get a steve mii costume during banjo's update & with all the rumors of minecraft content IN smash over a year ago (like hero)

i think its a good shot for steve & alex to be DLC

Good Luck <3

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Hay guys a banjo fan here ! Remember banjo & kazooie are seen as a rare rep not a M$ one & steve would be a Mojang rep not a M$ one

if we don't get a steve mii costume during banjo's update & with all the rumors of minecraft content IN smash over a year ago (like hero)

i think its a good shot for steve & alex to be DLC

Good Luck <3
Thank you! Congratulations on getting Banjo, you guys really earned it.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
No problem been playing minecraft a lot lately with a buddy of mine, I always use the banjo skin

I bet we get crash bandicoot next & Steve alex as the final character (if he is not a mii costume)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I imagine Steve's mii costume would cover his entire body, so it would look boxy and cube-like. Tons of other mii costumes cover the entire body and change the appearance, and I believe Minecraft would fall into this category as well.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
We have two characters left and Steve is the only one I can think of that's had legitimate rumors about him on par with DQ Hero and Banjo. I have no clue as to who the last characters will be if one of them isn't Steve. It's going to be interesting either way, because I'm pretty sure none of them will be Nintendo characters.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
It's weird so many people are SURE Minecraft will be a Mii costume with Banjo since like, they'd still need permission from Mojang, its involving another company not talking to the same single company like Geno for Square was.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's weird so many people are SURE Minecraft will be a Mii costume with Banjo since like, they'd still need permission from Mojang, its involving another company not talking to the same single company like Geno for Square was.
It's mostly because of Verge. He got everything about Smash right so far, and he insisted that Banjo is gonna be a fighter and Minecraft is getting content.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They wouldn't though, Microsoft fully owns Minecraft. They could go to Mojang as a courtesy, but that's it.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft youtubers such as ibxtoycat and logdotzip has showed support for steve in smash bros

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Minecraft youtubers such as ibxtoycat and logdotzip has showed support for steve in smash bros
Really? That’s nice! Glad to see our support base growing by the day!

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I don't think it'd be called Steve in smash, be it Mii costume or playable, but instead Minecrafter. Just seems like something they'd do. If its a mii costume male can be steve, female is alex and if its a full on character, each alt could be a different minecraft character skin entirely.

Top Bottom