• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Okay
Very out there idea:
Since some people argue Steve would have to be tweaked looks-wise for Smash, what if Sakurai kept Steve’s original blocky model, but just added the realistic-ish textures that other characters have? Steve would have the same kind of Hair texture that most characters have, his skin would be shiny like for example Joker’s and his shirt and pants would have simmilar textures to those on Link’s tunic and Mario’s jeans.

I know it mind sound odd, but do yall think this could work?

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Okay
Very out there idea:
Since some people argue Steve would have to be tweaked looks-wise for Smash, what if Sakurai kept Steve’s original blocky model, but just added the realistic-ish textures that other characters have? Steve would have the same kind of Hair texture that most characters have, his skin would be shiny like for example Joker’s and his shirt and pants would have simmilar textures to those on Link’s tunic and Mario’s jeans.

I know it mind sound odd, but do yall think this could work?
Nah, I think he’ll be a very plastic looking fighter, very Super Mario 3D World. I think they’ll make him look the the MC Plastic Texture Pack in that he has no details, just clean colors.

Less this
A90D144B-2777-45FA-9BE0-2B60E3C4D872.jpeg

More this
A9E5E502-2090-4E92-8DB0-5836FFF0C45C.png
F7C9F55F-5550-422B-813F-D2F4BECFB4E1.png

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
So i have rounded all the counter agruments in smash such as steve not having animations properly in smash,steve not being "iconic" enough,not having a personality and an argument i found on resetera,not having a "recognizable sillouhuete"(i may have spelled that wrongly)

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
So i have rounded all the counter agruments in smash such as steve not having animations properly in smash,steve not being "iconic" enough,not having a personality and an argument i found on resetera,not having a "recognizable sillouhuete"(i may have spelled that wrongly)
That's really odd since, not counting other Minecraft characters, no other character would have a silhouette like Steve. If you were to see the silhouette alone, there'd be no way to mistake it for anything other than a Minecraft character.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So something interesting just came up. The main Nintendo twitter account just posted a tweet of Hyrule castle being recreated in Minecraft.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So something interesting just came up. The main Nintendo twitter account just posted a tweet of Hyrule castle being recreated in Minecraft.

Didn't they also post a lot of "vote for this character", which was unrelated to Smash? Nintendo promoting any content recreated in a game they like makes sense. This doesn't seem too special on its own. Though do you mean HC from Smash, or HC from one of the Zelda games?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Didn't they also post a lot of "vote for this character", which was unrelated to Smash? Nintendo promoting any content recreated in a game they like makes sense. This doesn't seem too special on its own. Though do you mean HC from Smash, or HC from one of the Zelda games?
It seems to be Hyrule Castle from Breath of the Wild.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, it's good to see that Nintendo is still quite fond of the series. It may not mean much in terms of Smash, but it can only help the case for Steve rather than hinder it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know, for a character that's typically seen as just a husk for the player (which is technically true if you don't give him a personality based on his surroundings and, if you want, Mojang's silly antics and the silly stuff in the game), Steve sure has made an impression on me; I may use my own skins ingame, but I still like his look and love him as a Minecraft icon/face that I always recognize and feel happy about. I already feel like I have an irrational worry that Mojang will ditch him, as Alex seems to be in some new stuff with Steve no where to be found, including the official artwork for the new Village & Pillage update (at least I believe so, I found it on Reddit, though I'm not sure where they got it; it's the same art-style, though, and I guess we'll see it tomorrow, the official release day) and the ad for Gamepass (I know Alex is another avatar and so they're basically swap-able when talking promotion, but still...Steve was with her in 1.13's artwork...).

He does still get merchandise, and he is the original face and the first ever character created for the game - he's Mr. Minecraft himself, but I still worry, plus with the movie coming up which may feature neither him nor Alex and may even look weird since it's still blocky yet live-action instead of animation...

...but, I guess I'm silly to worry like this now; it's clearly too early to tell, he may even be in the next update's artwork and maybe some more promotional stuff, plus it's not like they removed him from the game, he's even still named in the Bedrock Edition...

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
Y'know, for a character that's typically seen as just a husk for the player (which is technically true if you don't give him a personality based on his surroundings and, if you want, Mojang's silly antics and the silly stuff in the game), Steve sure has made an impression on me; I may use my own skins ingame, but I still like his look and love him as a Minecraft icon/face that I always recognize and feel happy about. I already feel like I have an irrational worry that Mojang will ditch him, as Alex seems to be in some new stuff with Steve no where to be found, including the official artwork for the new Village & Pillage update (at least I believe so, I found it on Reddit, though I'm not sure where they got it; it's the same art-style, though, and I guess we'll see it tomorrow, the official release day) and the ad for Gamepass (I know Alex is another avatar and so they're basically swap-able when talking promotion, but still...Steve was with her in 1.13's artwork...).

He does still get merchandise, and he is the original face and the first ever character created for the game - he's Mr. Minecraft himself, but I still worry, plus with the movie coming up which may feature neither him nor Alex and may even look weird since it's still blocky yet live-action instead of animation...

...but, I guess I'm silly to worry like this now; it's clearly too early to tell, he may even be in the next update's artwork and maybe some more promotional stuff, plus it's not like they removed him from the game, he's even still named in the Bedrock Edition...
Alex was always better suited for the intents of making the default skin non-gendered. (https://www.technobuffalo.com/minecraft-steve-has-no-gender).
Maybe they're just trying to play catch-up and give Alex more promotional material to be more align with the amount of Steve's pre-2014, but I don't really have faith. These are the people after all who seem to be unwilling to put their two mascots (Steve and Alex) in Smash because they're not "iconic" or don't represent Minecraft well enough (even though they put them front and center on the box-art??). Imagine if Mojang were the ones responsible for them not being in the game... it hurts lol. Hytale can't come sooner; at least then Mojang may at the very least try to improve beyond their snails pace.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Alex was always better suited for the intents of making the default skin non-gendered. (https://www.technobuffalo.com/minecraft-steve-has-no-gender).
Maybe they're just trying to play catch-up and give Alex more promotional material to be more align with the amount of Steve's pre-2014, but I don't really have faith. These are the people after all who seem to be unwilling to put their two mascots (Steve and Alex) in Smash because they're not "iconic" or don't represent Minecraft well enough (even though they put them front and center on the box-art??). Imagine if Mojang were the ones responsible for them not being in the game... it hurts lol. Hytale can't come sooner; at least then Mojang may at the very least try to improve beyond their snails pace.
I find it odd because I feel like, while they weren't given a gender at first, it feels like they referred to them using specific pronouns before, but idk. I know Lego Club Magazine said Steve was Alex's boyfriend in 2016, according to the official Minecraft Wiki, but I don't really know if the info in the magazine was official or not.

It's also funny because, while Alex was intended to be for either gender (at least at first), the skin looks much more like a girl than a boy and is generally seen as such. Plus, since they have two default skins now, there's really no need for them to have a single skin that fits either gender, or even other genders tbh since even Steve can be identified as however people want.

I don't think anyone other than Aubrey has shared their opinions on Steve, though, except for a Switch Edition dev who liked the idea of Steve or a Creeper in Smash, so maybe Jens and other Mojang devs/employees may feel like Steve is a suitable face alongside Alex.

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing the non-genders are just a courtsey to Notch at this point. And I can only hope that it's just Aubrey, and that ultimately Jens would never skimp out on the gaming's biggest crossover over non-issues, but I'm not feeling confident about anything regarding Minecraft / Mojang these days.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I doubt Mojang has any big hand when it comes to a Smash crossover, and the feelings of one or two developers won't change any big plans made for Smash. Remember people, Microsoft owns both Minecraft and Mojang, only they can say no to Nintendo.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The last characters I wanted in Smash as much as I want Steve in are Pac-Man and Little Mac. I wanted them as far back as 2007. I never thought Pac would make it in, but when Namco was announced to be developing Smash 4, I knew it was inevitable. Then his reveal came, which felt absolutely surreal.

I also kinda feel like Steve is inevitable. Both Nintendo and Sakurai are in love with Mincecraft and Microsoft has been working so closely with Nintendo lately. And although MS working with Nintendo could also mean Banjo&Kazooie, Minecraft fits the description of what Reggie said the DLC packs would be at the Game Awards much more than them. "[Joker/P5] gives you a flavor of how we're approaching the DLC. These are going to be characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate".

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I still support Steve.

Creativity knows no bounds!

Can I be on the supporter list now?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Master0fHyrule's leak is giving me hope but I feel like as if it's too good to be true.
Cause it's not really a leak. He just worded it poorly. He thinks the signs look good for Steve, so he's just speculating, basically.

I mean, if he was leaking, that'd be a different story. He did leak Ultimate's Battlefield design, for instance.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Cause it's not really a leak. He just worded it poorly. He thinks the signs look good for Steve, so he's just speculating, basically.

I mean, if he was leaking, that'd be a different story. He did leak Ultimate's Battlefield design, for instance.
Well I posted that before it became common knowledge it was just speculation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I posted that before it became common knowledge it was just speculation.
Ah, derp. XD

I do wish it was a leak, though.

Nah, I think he’ll be a very plastic looking fighter, very Super Mario 3D World. I think they’ll make him look the the MC Plastic Texture Pack in that he has no details, just clean colors.

Less this
View attachment 210050

More this
View attachment 210051View attachment 210052
I like his box design more. I feel it fits the Smash aesthetics better these days. His in-game design fits Brawl well, though.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I still support Steve.

Creativity knows no bounds!

Can I be on the supporter list now?
I think the guy in charge's been inactive, unfortunately...

He hasn't been here since February

Even then, he hasn't been putting people on the list...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking as a mod, I can't just suddenly start adding people to the support list. However, if somebody wants to take over, make sure to try and discuss it with the actual thread owner first. Key term being "try". If no answer, we wait a long enough period of time before a thread ownership transfer. In that case, we need to find an older post of yours to copy/move over to the first post to replace it. We unfortunately don't have the option of directly changing owners due to the new Xenforo design.

Incidentally I'm now a Smash Ultimate Newcomer Section Mod again.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Speaking as a mod, I can't just suddenly start adding people to the support list. However, if somebody wants to take over, make sure to try and discuss it with the actual thread owner first. Key term being "try". If no answer, we wait a long enough period of time before a thread ownership transfer. In that case, we need to find an older post of yours to copy/move over to the first post to replace it. We unfortunately don't have the option of directly changing owners due to the new Xenforo design.

Incidentally I'm now a Smash Ultimate Newcomer Section Mod again.
I suppose I could try talking to the thread owner and see if anything comes up.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
steve is a doodoohead and obviously doesn't deserve a spot

now the robloxian?

1556766953073.png

come on now, this is like homer simpson vs peter griffin, you can never beat the original!

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice

Can you link this non-leak?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can you link this non-leak?

The original post. He wasn't remotely saying "I have sources for this character being in", which a lot of people took that way, just that he thinks the character is likely.

I can understand where people get that impression. "I see signs" is implying he knows actual details. In the end, he knows nothing.

andree123

Smash Ace
Sakurai seems to don't want too many campers in smash, there was almost a new mechanic where it decreases the running speed if the player is too campy, the projectiles are nerfed in 3.0.0.
If Steve was a fighter and he would have the ability to place blocks to stay true to his game mechanics in Minecraft, this could increase amount of campers in the game and this would ruin the balance of smash ultimate.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Y'all may or may not be aware, but a couple weeks ago, there was an unofficial dlc fighter ballot done by the general community.

The results just came in. Sora claimed the top spot with 2075 votes, Banjo 2nd with 1771, and Bandanna Dee got 3rd with 1015

but guess who got 4th place?

Steve managed to receive 963 total votes, outranking the likes, of highly requested characthers like Shantae, Geno, and Phoenix Wright. You can check out the full results right here

Keep it up you guys! This shows that the demand for our blocky boi is definitely there.

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Y'all may or may not be aware, but a couple weeks ago, there was an unofficial dlc fighter ballot done by the general community.

The results just came in, and guess who got 4th place?
Sora claimed the top spot with 2075, Banjo 2nd with 1771, and Bandanna Dee got 3rd with 1015

Steve managed to receive 963 total votes, outranking the likes, of Shantae, Geno, and Phoenix Wright,

Keep it up you guys! This shows that the demand for our blocky boi is definitely there.
I was pleasantly surprised to see this! Even more so for the fact he made it to the top 5! It's crazy to think that the support for Steve has grown this huge within months.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai seems to don't want too many campers in smash, there was almost a new mechanic where it decreases the running speed if the player is too campy, the projectiles are nerfed in 3.0.0.
If Steve was a fighter and he would have the ability to place blocks to stay true to his game mechanics in Minecraft, this could increase amount of campers in the game and this would ruin the balance of smash ultimate.
If they limit the block placing to 5 or so, make it so the blocks have to be placed next to ground or each other, and make it so you have to wait until the blocks disappear or you mine them to get them back, then it should be fine. Could still be useful, as you could make a ledge and lead opponents to it to try and get them closer to the blast zone, or make a wall and combo them against it. It wouldn't be campy at all, not anymore campy than what's already done anyway.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's not like the block placing ability can't be balanced in the game. They can limit the number of blocks you put, make them easily destructible, or even make them disappear after a set time. Just because an idea hasn't been implemented in Smash yet doesn't mean it will be game breaking.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we get a RPG character, they would have to wait for their opponents' attack to move to stay true to their origin game's mechanics. This would make combos impossible and ruin the balance of Smash.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I was pleasantly surprised to see this! Even more so for the fact he made it to the top 5! It's crazy to think that the support for Steve has grown this huge within months.
Honestly I think Steve is just getting more of a voice now. More fans are starting to come out whereas they didn’t previously. I think the leaks really benefited Steve as it made him a possibility that people had to accept. Before then, most who asked for Steve would be met with a swarm of hatred, particularly from Banjo fans as I’ve seen them tell Steve fans off the most so B can be the Microsoft rep. I do love the changing tides though, and will support Steve until he most likely comes at E3.

This guy on Twitter made an awesome pic from promotional images
https://twitter.com/theawesomeshmue/status/1125779674343383041?s=21
Awesome

Top Bottom