• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

D

Deleted member

What do you mean? I wouldent trust her here’s what SuperiorYoshi87 SuperiorYoshi87 In the banjo & kazooie thread said about the leaker.

“Furthermore after catching up on this whole Hitagi thing reading the reddit and what not I think she's a fraud. Sure she's had credible leak's with other stuff but so did other leakers who got things wrong. That guy mystic supposedly had gotten things right in the past, LoZ18 had supposedly gotten things right in the past.. all of them ended up being wrong in the end. Now Hitagi is the next to show up spouting off about this or that character and everyone's hooking right into it..

Remember when the Mystic guy heavily hinted towards Sora and Lloyd being DLC? Every body ate it up.. he also claimed Isaac was in and playable.. then back tracked and said he's in but he's not sure after Vergeben said he was an assist.

Hitagi claims that nothing has been said about Sora or Lloyd. So.. now no one talks about them. Why? Because the newest "leaker" threw their hat into the ring.

Remember the Devil May Cry leak that got all the info on the new DMC game 100% correct followed by a claim that a Smash reveal for Dante would happen? Guess what wasnt real despite the leaker being correct.. this Hitagi person hasn't shown up in Smash speculation until now that DLC is coming and so far hasn't said anything other than piggy back off of Vergeben who's been the only credible leaker. All she does is shoot down every character in that reddit thread.

Here's a short list of straight no's she's given for DLC that she claims she knows

Lloyd
Banjo
Sora
Geno
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
No other Final Fantasy character

Any popular choice has been shot down by her. So who is the DLC?! It's looking like trolling at this point.”

I wouldn’t talk about her if I were you. Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:

Boygos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boygos
Switch FC
SW 3967 3433 0210
What do you mean?
A user on reddit, /u/Senjougahara__Hitagi has been answering questions about insider info he has. Normally I would pass this off as a bunch of sh*t but Hitagi has been backed by Vergeben in the past. This is far from confirmation but this means that a leaker who is credible is fairly certain that Steve will be a DLC character.

It would definitely make sense, as it has been a recent trend in fighting games for series to give us a "what the f*ck" character as DLC

D

Deleted member

A user on reddit, /u/Senjougahara__Hitagi has been answering questions about insider info he has. Normally I would pass this off as a bunch of sh*t but Hitagi has been backed by Vergeben in the past. This is far from confirmation but this means that a leaker who is credible is fairly certain that Steve will be a DLC character.

It would definitely make sense, as it has been a recent trend in fighting games for series to give us a "what the f*ck" character as DLC
I edited what I said. Idk about the leaker right now

Boygos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boygos
Switch FC
SW 3967 3433 0210
I edited what I said. Idk about the leaker right now
Interesting. I personally think that the fact that vergeben has commented on this particular leaker gives them a bit of credibility. It may be a small bit, but vergeben saying that we will get Minecraft content is kind of what seals the deal for me here. We are definitely getting a stage at bare minimum for Minecraft representation unless Vergeben is wrong (for the first time). I think it just makes sense for Steve to be included with the stage, and the only other character I could see coming with a Minecraft stage is Banjo.

That being said, I think it is possible that this SuperiorYoshi fellow falls into the group of fans confused as to why Nintendo wouldn't make the DLC characters obscure picks to the common customer (like Geno, or Bandana Dee). Steve would sell like hot cakes.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Interesting. I personally think that the fact that vergeben has commented on this particular leaker gives them a bit of credibility. It may be a small bit, but vergeben saying that we will get Minecraft content is kind of what seals the deal for me here. We are definitely getting a stage at bare minimum for Minecraft representation unless Vergeben is wrong (for the first time). I think it just makes sense for Steve to be included with the stage, and the only other character I could see coming with a Minecraft stage is Banjo.

That being said, I think it is possible that this SuperiorYoshi fellow falls into the group of fans confused as to why Nintendo wouldn't make the DLC characters obscure picks to the common customer (like Geno, or Bandana Dee). Steve would sell like hot cakes.

I'm not confused, just clarify. I have 0 issues with Steve in fact I believe he and Banjo can co-exist. I also don't doubt Steve would sell. My thinking that Hitagi is a fraud isn't about Steve it's about her back tracking and constantly changing answers. Steve's chances don't hang in the balance based off of Hitagi's words as Minecraft content had been rumored by vergeben since the beginning of speculation.

If you think Geno and Bandana Dee are obscure picks to the "common customer" thus Nintendo won't pick them in order to sell DLC than a character from Granblue and Dragon Quest must be more popular to the common customer than I thought because according to Hitagi that's most likely where the DLC is going aside from Steve who at this point would be the only recognizable DLC character in the bunch..

Boygos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Boygos
Switch FC
SW 3967 3433 0210
I'm not confused, just clarify. I have 0 issues with Steve in fact I believe he and Banjo can co-exist. I also don't doubt Steve would sell. My thinking that Hitagi is a fraud isn't about Steve it's about her back tracking and constantly changing answers. Steve's chances don't hang in the balance based off of Hitagi's words as Minecraft content had been rumored by vergeben since the beginning of speculation.

If you think Geno and Bandana Dee are obscure picks to the "common customer" thus Nintendo won't pick them in order to sell DLC than a character from Granblue and Dragon Quest must be more popular to the common customer than I thought because according to Hitagi that's most likely where the DLC is going aside from Steve who at this point would be the only recognizable DLC character in the bunch..
That’s a good point. I do think that Hitagi doesn’t really know anything besides possibly Steve. It seems to be the only thing he/she is sure about.

That being said, I think that we will see someone huge and iconic like Lara Croft or Sora from SE over Geno, personally. But that’s just my two cents.

D

Deleted member

That’s a good point. I do think that Hitagi doesn’t really know anything besides possibly Steve. It seems to be the only thing he/she is sure about.
Mostly what hitagi said was just what verge said before her so she’s copying him

Pakky

Smash Hero
Steve is hideous but I support him.

A hand extension on behalf of the

#Granblue gang

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
In a prefect world, Steve and Banjo both get in.. I don't see why Microsoft can't have 2 characters considering other 3rd parties are on their 2nd or 3rd characters. People keep making up rules as to what can and can not happen with DLC.. "one character per company" isn't some set in stone thing.. neither is saying it's all going to Nintendo characters or marketing characters. We wont know what DLC will look like until our first character reveal. I personally believe the first character reveal won't be a square character but be a Microsoft character either Steve, due to Minecraft content being rumored since E3 so apparently it's been kmown for sometime meaning Steve would be the furthest along or Banjo being revealed alongside of or after the N64 classic.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I feel so bad for Steve and his fans. They've gotten thrown under the bus way too many times just because many Smash fans take roster speculation way too seriously and have a vendetta against any character that they perceive as a threat to Banjo's chances. I would be happy if Steve got in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel so bad for Steve and his fans. They've gotten thrown under the bus way too many times just because many Smash fans take roster speculation way too seriously and have a vendetta against any character that they perceive as a threat to Banjo's chances. I would be happy if Steve got in.
Why not both?

D

Deleted member

I do there are no rules in “only one Microsoft rep” I can see them both getting in

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I'm fine with both getting in. I have no ill will towards Minecraft at all, (I used to play it a lot to relax) but I feel like Banjo is much more deserving. Steve is one of those characters that I want and don't want at the same time. It's really weird. Also I'm worried he would cause an extreme amount of undeserved outrage, and I don't want Sakurai to get attacked again after the Waluigi outrage.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm fine with both getting in. I have no ill will towards Minecraft at all, (I used to play it a lot to relax) but I feel like Banjo is much more deserving. Steve is one of those characters that I want and don't want at the same time. It's really weird. Also I'm worried he would cause an extreme amount of undeserved outrage, and I don't want Sakurai to get attacked again after the Waluigi outrage.
People will attack Sakurai no matter what characters are added. We could get Banjo, Geno, Steve, Rayman, and a FE Three Houses character, yet people would still complain about Steve and the FE character because all they can ever do is look for reasons to complain instead of being grateful for what we have. Even after the addition of several fan-favorite characters like Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool, they still continue to ask for more and will never be satisfied until every single one of their characters makes it in. Plus, the Waluigi comments on Twitter were only made by two people.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
User was warned for this post; trolling
People will attack Sakurai no matter what characters are added. We could get Banjo, Geno, Steve, Rayman, and a FE Three Houses character, yet people would still complain about Steve and the FE character because all they can ever do is look for reasons to complain instead of being grateful for what we have. Even after the addition of several fan-favorite characters like Ridley, Simon, and King K. Rool, they still continue to ask for more and will never be satisfied until every single one of their characters makes it in. Plus, the Waluigi comments on Twitter were only made by two people.
*coughBronzeGreekGodcough*

Oh my God, his latest thread is becoming a gong show.

D

Deleted member

Welp........Steve’s a lock now

Speaking of which this is what I think his pose will look like forgive my drawing skills.
02F78B58-56EE-4DCD-A060-ED871A42A360.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672
Oof. If Reggie's words are to be believed, it looks like there might not be an N64 Classic. That's another nail in the coffin for Banjo supporters. Too bad. At least that's good news for us though.
It does make it weird, considering they renewed Banjo & Kazooie(and its other games) trademarks.

However, a good chunk of the games people really really want are also partially related to 3rd parties. They also need to somewhat redo the control stick for the controllers to make sure it lasts a very very long time. Then there's the fact these games are way bigger. Maybe it's just not worth the licensing and would cost too much overall for the product. Basically not a worthy time-sink or too risky. Especially with tons of used stores around. Emulation has also been rampant lately, so he's clearly aware that many won't pay for it unless it has a perfect controller and the perfect set of games. It's a hard quota to fill.

Though this doesn't mean much for Banjo or Steve. The idea every single DLC will only be among a list of characters that'll be for upcoming games is a silly thing to think. If Banjo isn't among the list, it'd be because Nintendo doesn't believe Microsoft would go for it. Microsoft has been extremely cooperative, though yeah, Steve is just way easier to get and more relevant now(not to mention far more iconic). He always seemed to have a better chance than Banjo due to this alone. Of course, if we've learned one thing, these are just our predictions. Things could be different~

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I still strongly oppose this character, but I'm feeling utterly terrified at the piling evidence pointing towards his inclusion and don't know if I could ever get used to his face on the roster.

I would hope they take some liberties and come up with an idea that isn't "Steve". I'd be more willing to accept him if he had a proper name like Minecrafter, or Minecraftian or something. I'd also hope he resembles something more like a 3D Dot Game Hero and not the ugly ass 'generic dude in jeans and t-shirt', please don't make him look stupid. He can have armor, look blocky yet polished, and have a cute little retro charm. But this idea of it being Steve specifically, the mascot on all of the merchandise, just pure Steve with all of his Steveness... it would be a blemish on the roster in my eyes.

I could warm up to him eventually if they handled it correctly. But it still would be me just slowly accepting defeat.

The fact he's just a good choice from the business perspective, represents a cultural phenomenon, could possibly draw in new fans and is Microsoft's most valuable IP, it would just be dillusional to try and argue against it. He's THE Microsoft rep. Banjo and Master Chief will be pushed to the wayside. Poor Banjo's got nothing.

Yes, I'm worrying more about how they'll execute a Minecraft character and less about whether or not it's actually happening (since it is becoming irrefutable).

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Well I've lost my faith in Banjo getting in. Steve would be the only non-Rareware Microsoft property i'd be cool with. And I don't say that as an "Ugh I guess Steve is fine if it's not Banjo", I say that as an old timer who ignored the game in the past but then tried it and liked it, and now i'm building a castle with my friends who don't do Nintendo Consoles, which is doubly meaningful to me since I normally don't have the option to play with my friends and feel isolated when they discuss Overwatch and Monster Hunter and junk, but now I actually have something to play with them. Minecraft also feels like it's more popular now than DOOM was back in the 90s.... I'd say it's earned it's iconic status.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I still strongly oppose this character, but I'm feeling utterly terrified at the piling evidence pointing towards his inclusion and don't know if I could ever get used to his face on the roster.

I would hope they take some liberties and come up with an idea that isn't "Steve". I'd be more willing to accept him if he had a proper name like Minecrafter, or Minecraftian or something. I'd also hope he resembles something more like a 3D Dot Game Hero and not the ugly *** 'generic dude in jeans and t-shirt', please don't make him look stupid. He can have armor, look blocky yet polished, and have a cute little retro charm. But this idea of it being Steve specifically, the mascot on all of the merchandise, just pure Steve with all of his Steveness... it would be a blemish on the roster in my eyes.

I could warm up to him eventually if they handled it correctly. But it still would be me just slowly accepting defeat.

The fact he's just a good choice from the business perspective, represents a cultural phenomenon, could possibly draw in new fans and is Microsoft's most valuable IP, it would just be dillusional to try and argue against it. He's THE Microsoft rep. Banjo and Master Chief will be pushed to the wayside. Poor Banjo's got nothing.

Yes, I'm worrying more about how they'll execute a Minecraft character and less about whether or not it's actually happening (since it is becoming irrefutable).
Trust me, I've found some worse blemishes for the roster.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
As someone else mentioned from another thread, here's another point against Banjo's inclusion. You know how Banjo fans love to bring up how Phil Spencer said he would be fine with Banjo joining Smash? Well, if anything, this should be a gigantic red flag. If he was actually included in any capacity, Phil and the rest of Microsoft would've been radio silent.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As someone else mentioned from another thread, here's another point against Banjo's inclusion. You know how Banjo fans love to bring up how Phil Spencer said he would be fine with Banjo joining Smash? Well, if anything, this should be a gigantic red flag. If he was actually included in any capacity, Phil and the rest of Microsoft would've been radio silent.
That was also brought up a long time ago during the ballot. DLC options were chosen recently. And we don't see any B&K content in the base game. That's the only time he'd have been under NDA.

And for NDA, they have specifics. Phil saying he'd like him in or supports the idea isn't necessarily against the NDA. Him answering if the character was in always would be. It's never that simple.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
I still find it funny that Steve haters try to claim that it would be "wrong" to add the character in over Banjo and that he would be a "blemish" on the roster. They ignore that Minecraft is the second best-selling game of all time, one of Nintendo's best eshop sellers, and has had an enormous impact on both the gaming industry and its genre.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
I still find it funny that Steve haters try to claim that it would be "wrong" to add the character in over Banjo and that he would be a "blemish" on the roster. They ignore that Minecraft is the second best-selling game of all time, one of Nintendo's best eshop sellers, and has had an enormous impact on both the gaming industry and its genre.
The truth isn't always popular. But I gotta say, GTAV outsold Super Mario Bros? It better be really good.

Alias Tex

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3796-7058-8396
I really want for Steve to get into Smash, but that is honestly because of my own severe bias as he really is a pretty crummy character choice.

I've played Minecraft for years - since about 2011 (Beta 1.8) - before Minecraft had the reputation of being a cringefest for 11-year-olds (Although in retrospect I wasn't much better than that at the time). I remember reading practically every article in the Minecraft wiki, though nowadays I've fallen behind. I can remember when I read the old article, "Player," and how it described the player as having no official name. The closest he got to an independent character at the time was a half-acknowledgement as "Steve?," with a very intentional question mark. The point was that "Steve" wasn't a character - YOU were the player, and the game was yours. Eventually the question mark stopped showing up around the time when the secondary "Alex" character model was introduced, officializing the two identities. But what this goes to show for me is that I don't really care so much about Steve as Steve. Steve is really lacking as his own character - I mean, half the time you hear someone bring him up without preestablished context he has to be explicitly referred to as "Minecraft Steve" because he isn't the icon. Minecraft itself is, with its blocks and Creepers and such. So when I say that I want Steve as a character, what I am really feeling is a desire for what is probably my favorite game of all time to be recognized by what will likely be my second favorite game of all time; and not just with an extra stage, but with the highest honor that Smash has - a character.

That being said, I do think that a stage is far and away the best way Minecraft could be represented. Not only is Steve not Minecraft's icon, but I can't imagine Steve appearing and being animated well as a playable fighter. (I doubt it will be that bad if we actually end up seeing him, though.) As far as stage picks go, the best choice visually would be "Overworld," but I also think that "The End" would probably be the best for layout and function. (Also, fingers crossed that the stage would have a competitive layout! I would pay $30 for DLC of that quality!) What I'm really wondering about is music - Minecraft has a killer soundtrack for Minecraft, but for Smash? I have C418's albums on iTunes, but I can't think of a single track that would be exciting to smash to. I guess it would be interesting to see what happens.

Honestly I'm just afraid that I'm getting my hopes up too much. While at this point I feel rather confident in the Minecraft content leaks, I don't think that I could help but feel a little bit let down if Minecraft couldn't get in character-and-all. I guess that is just the nature of Smash speculation, though.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Trust me, I've found some worse blemishes for the roster.

Aww, leave Sans out of this...

Anyway, uh, I played Minecraft for the first time a few weeks ago. I never really understood it when it was on PC. The controls were fiddly, I didn't know anything about Survival mode, and it ran poorly on my laptop at the time so I just gave up. When I bought my Smash Switch, my roommate who loves Minecraft encouraged me to pick it up and try it again and to be honest I quickly fell in love. I have a Survival world I've called Castle Town and am hoping to create a sprawling medieval city and I also made a coastal region in a Creative server called Dolphin Park. It's perfect when I'm upset or stressed, the music is beautiful, the actions are calming, and it's just a straight up fun game that plays beautifully with the Joycons. A Minecraft world with a few different permutations would be a great stage.

My only issue is I can't really conceptualize the player avatar as a fighter. I can see him having movements like Mr. Game & Watch, very jerky. I can see him.being smoothed out artwise like that new Dungeons thing. But every moveset concept I've seen either complicates the crafting portion in a way that would not work great in Smash or oversimplifies it so it's not indicative of Minecraft as a game. I'm sure there's something that can be done with Minecrafter/Steve as a fighter, but I'm just not sure what that is.

I absolutely want a Minecraft stage and Creeper assist trophy, though. That'd be awesome.

D

Deleted member

Here’s another reason why Nintendo is picking Steve.....

*drumrolls*

release date:05-17-2009

It will celebrate its 10th anniversary

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
User was warned for this post; off-topic spam(please don't post irrelevant images. Please actually talk about the series or its relation to Smash)
Oh yeah! 2 more blemishes I found for the roster!

Top Bottom