Steve Is Digging Smash! Steve from Minecraft Support Thread

Simnm

Smash Apprentice
There's also a few unofficial novels about Steve I saw at my job. I don't mean the stupid one about him farting that people love to bring up (which isn't there by the way), but actual spin-offs about him going on adventures.

If people didn't care about him at all, would he get those? I think not.
Some people use the excuse that steve is just a default skin but hes not just a deafault skin,hes THE default skin of minecraft since he appears in spin off merchandise like you mentioned earlier but some mobs are based on his design such as the zombie,and him showing in up in all the marketing and in the menus of the game,and also he could also just be renamed minecrafter if those reasons didnt convince you enough

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Apprentice
We have been talking about steve alot but we should also be talking more about the other default skin of minecraft
downloadfile.png

Minecraft
Alex

We have been talking about steve alot but we should also be talking more about the other default skin of minecraft
View attachment 233481
Minecraft
Alex
I'd be more surprised if they didn't make Alex the secondary alt for Steve like Male Wii Fit Trainer or Female Robin. I'd imagine the costumes/colors would split between 4 for Steve and 4 for Alex. If not that, then I could see her as a bonus echo fighter.

Last edited:
I found this:

https://feedback.minecraft.net/hc/e...lities-and-identities-beyond-default-skins-P1

On the official feedback site. Not Smash-related, but still good.

Let's get those votes to the top, bois.

Also I'm pretty disappointed if the Lego Dimensions devs actually asked them but were denied for such a dumb reason (someone mentioned this in the comments; it also sounds familiar). At least some official Minecraft dudes at that Lego place built Steve with a Smash invitation...

edit: nevermind, the Lego Dimensions thing isn't true, Minecraft was actually part of their Year Three plans but of course the game's future got cancelled before they could even carry them out, heh. Surely Mojang would've said yes, anyway, it's not like it's any different than having him as a Lego minifigure representation-wise, though that would still be a dumb reason to say no especially with the amount of fans...

also here's this official Minecon 2011 trailer that gives Steve love, yet I guess they forgot despite Steve's and Alex's popularity with fans, their own promotional material, and even some of the recent things they've put out themselves content-wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJpKYiENro

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Lord
NNID
Sigran101
The problem I have with Steve is that a moveset that involves building would destroy competitive smash. Regardless of whether or not he's good, his gimick would be to turn legal stages into illegal stages by creating walls for infinite combos and caves of life. Everyone would spam him online because he'd be tournabanned and it would be the ultimate meme. It would essentially ruin the online competitive scene.

To make it work without causing an issue, is it possible to give him a unique moveset without any building? I was thinking like shovel Knight in that indie fighting game, but instead of a shop menu there's a crafting menu, and maybe he gets materials through some method? Is there enough stuff that he could use for attacks that would make the crafting mechanic work?

The problem I have with Steve is that a moveset that involves building would destroy competitive smash. Regardless of whether or not he's good, his gimick would be to turn legal stages into illegal stages by creating walls for infinite combos and caves of life. Everyone would spam him online because he'd be tournabanned and it would be the ultimate meme. It would essentially ruin the online competitive scene.

To make it work without causing an issue, is it possible to give him a unique moveset without any building? I was thinking like shovel Knight in that indie fighting game, but instead of a shop menu there's a crafting menu, and maybe he gets materials through some method? Is there enough stuff that he could use for attacks that would make the crafting mechanic work?
Your concerns are understandable. But I would like to say that block building can easily be balanced by limiting the number of blocks and giving them set HP. It would need testing of course, and that's why there's a balancing team to make sure the character isn't broken. Just look at Hero. On a surface level his spells might seem scary, but after delving into the character more and evaluating his stats he seems like a pushover without his specials. Hero is restricted by the MP system and the RNG of the command list which makes him seem more fair. The reason I bought up Hero is because he is a recent example of a character that brings brand new mechanics that seem scary at first but are more balanced when you take a deeper look.

As for crafting. One thing that I imagined about Steve is that the materials would drop from the blocks he place. Thus giving him a need to destroy the blocks so he can progress further and get stronger. In Minecraft you start weak with nothing until you start mining and crafting. If Steve is to be portrayed faithfully then his normals would be weak at the beginning of the match but he can get stronger once he gets to work by crafting better weaponry and armor.

Here's how I imagine his moveset would be. His side special would make him place a block, it can be a random block ranging from wood all the way to diamond. The better the materials that drop from the block the rarer the block's spawn rate is, so diamond would be the rarest block. For the sake of balance Steve can only put 5 blocks at a time, each block has 10 HP, and they can stack on each other. This is just my preemptive thoughts on his block placement and the number can easily differ depending on what the balancing team feels is appropriate. And just to make sure no ledge shenanigans happen, let's give the blocks gravity properties so they would fall down if there is nothing below them.

His down special would bring up his crafting table, in there he can craft armor that helps him survive longer and he can also craft a better weapon that increases the damage he delivers. He can also craft items like a bow, a mining cart, TNT or whatever items the Smash team can put in that seem appropriate. Once Steve crafts the item then he can select it for use whenever he feels like it. The item he selects will be used in his neutral special, some items like TNT can only be used once before they have to be crafted again. And other items like the bow would have a number of arrows they can fire before they have to be crafted again. His up special would be the ender pearl, and it's his recovery tool. Steve would throw the ender pearl in a diagonal arc depending on where you pointed with the control stick and if it hits the stage he would teleport there. If the ender pearl hits the ledge then he'll hang on to the ledge instead.

This is my thoughts on how Steve would work as a fighter and how Minecraft's crafting system can be implemented in Smash Bros. Obviously there are many interpretations on how Steve's moveset can work, and I believe this huge potential is part of what makes Steve an interesting and unique fighter for Smash.

Minik

Smash Apprentice
I don't think they'll be that building based if at all anyway because of traveling stages, Inkling was specualted to ink turf but its just side b and its more of a bonus. At most I think Steve building would be like Pac-hydrant. Just some special blocks like TNT or an Anvil, not stuff like build 5 dirt blocks at once creating a solid wall anywhere.

I don't think they'll be that building based if at all anyway because of traveling stages, Inkling was specualted to ink turf but its just side b and its more of a bonus. At most I think Steve building would be like Pac-hydrant. Just some special blocks like TNT or an Anvil, not stuff like build 5 dirt blocks at once creating a solid wall anywhere.
Of course that was just simply my interpretation for how Steve would work. It doesn't hurt to go too crazy with the potential ideas. There's a lot of freedom when it comes to designing a moveset with Steve which is why I encourage people to give their own thoughts for how the character would work. Regardless of what moveset the Smash team would give him, I have no doubt in my mind that the character would be extremely unique.

NNID
Sigran101
Your concerns are understandable. But I would like to say that block building can easily be balanced by limiting the number of blocks and giving them set HP. It would need testing of course, and that's why there's a balancing team to make sure the character isn't broken. Just look at Hero. On a surface level his spells might seem scary, but after delving into the character more and evaluating his stats he seems like a pushover without his specials. Hero is restricted by the MP system and the RNG of the command list which makes him seem more fair. The reason I bought up Hero is because he is a recent example of a character that brings brand new mechanics that seem scary at first but are more balanced when you take a deeper look.

As for crafting. One thing that I imagined about Steve is that the materials would drop from the blocks he place. Thus giving him a need to destroy the blocks so he can progress further and get stronger. In Minecraft you start weak with nothing until you start mining and crafting. If Steve is to be portrayed faithfully then his normals would be weak at the beginning of the match but he can get stronger once he gets to work by crafting better weaponry and armor.

Here's how I imagine his moveset would be. His side special would make him place a block, it can be a random block ranging from wood all the way to diamond. The better the materials that drop from the block the rarer the block's spawn rate is, so diamond would be the rarest block. For the sake of balance Steve can only put 5 blocks at a time, each block has 10 HP, and they can stack on each other. This is just my preemptive thoughts on his block placement and the number can easily differ depending on what the balancing team feels is appropriate. And just to make sure no ledge shenanigans happen, let's give the blocks gravity properties so they would fall down if there is nothing below them.

His down special would bring up his crafting table, in there he can craft armor that helps him survive longer and he can also craft a better weapon that increases the damage he delivers. He can also craft items like a bow, a mining cart, TNT or whatever items the Smash team can put in that seem appropriate. Once Steve crafts the item then he can select it for use whenever he feels like it. The item he selects will be used in his neutral special, some items like TNT can only be used once before they have to be crafted again. And other items like the bow would have a number of arrows they can fire before they have to be crafted again. His up special would be the ender pearl, and it's his recovery tool. Steve would throw the ender pearl in a diagonal arc depending on where you pointed with the control stick and if it hits the stage he would teleport there. If the ender pearl hits the ledge then he'll hang on to the ledge instead.

This is my thoughts on how Steve would work as a fighter and how Minecraft's crafting system can be implemented in Smash Bros. Obviously there are many interpretations on how Steve's moveset can work, and I believe this huge potential is part of what makes Steve an interesting and unique fighter for Smash.
That actually does sound super cool. To be honest, I've always been a huge Steve detractor. But consider me convinced.

I do think the building is impossible to balance though. Regardless of how balanced the character is, the problem is balancing the stage. There's a reason why competitive smash is only played on 12 or so stages. There are very particular requirements for legal stages, and ones that have walls or cielings, even breakable ones like Steve's blocks would be, are always banned.

On one hand, it would be unfair to not add a really cool moveset like this just because it breaks the self imposed rules of a small subset of the community. On the other, there's no way regulate the character online, and many smash fans play the game exclusively online with tournament rules. A terraforming moveset could entirely ruin the whole game for them, even if they choose not to get the dlc.

Is there any way to get around that, or is building just too central to Steve's abilities?

Last edited:
That actually does sound super cool. To be honest, I've always been a huge Steve detractor. But consider me convinced.

I do think the building is impossible to balance though. Regardless of how balanced the character is, the problem is balancing the stage. There's a reason why competitive smash is only played on 12 or so stages. There are very particular requirements for legal stages, and ones that have walls or cielings, even breakable ones like Steve's blocks would be, are always banned.

On one hand, it would be unfair to not add a really cool moveset like this just because it breaks the self imposed rules of a small subset of the community. On the other, there's no way regulate the character online, and many smash fans play the game exclusively online with tournament rules. A terraforming moveset could entirely ruin the whole game for them, even if they choose not to get the dlc.

Is there any way to get around that, or is building just too central to Steve's abilities?
I think it should be noted that the competitive ruleset that is commonly used nowadays isn't exactly an official ruleset established by Sakurai or Nintendo. Back in the early days of Melee people played the game on tournaments with items on. What we perceive as a competitive ruleset is something the community decided and changed. The community adapted and changed their ruleset multiple times.

An example of what I'm talking about is that Smash 64 did not have timers on tournament battles and Temple was a legal stage until 2014. This changed after a controversial match that got stalled for nearly an hour. After this incident the ruleset was changed to adapt to this behavior. When Hero came out people got upset over the RNG of the character and wanted him banned for being too unconventional for competitive play. People eventually settled down and realized banning a character for being too different from the rest of the cast is silly and we should instead adapt to the change.

The point I'm trying to make is that nothing is absolute when it comes to competitive rulesets, and it continues to get changed. If Steve arrives with a block placement moveset then I have no doubt that people will complain about this mechanic, but just like Hero people will simmer down and adapt to the character instead.

Minik

Smash Apprentice
Thing about movesets like these where you literally have to do ALL the work like mining and crafting mid match, it'd be a nightmare in free for alls as well as spirit fights, even more so than 1v1. It also promotes a camping heavy style more than anyone else, just running away to get some materials Olimar is a good charcter to look at here because unlike in Pikmin, you pluck Pikmin INSTANTLY, don't have to plant them and grow them. It's nice to reference the gameplay the character originates from but streamlining it is also part of the process. I think JUST crafting could work though, quickly make a weapon and be off with it.

To be honest, the whole mining and crafting is what makes Steve, well, Steve. Without it, you have some boring Link clone or yet another sword user. I understand the concern about balancing, but you can't make Steve or a Minecraft fighter without including it in some way.

My idea for Steve would be that he collects resources through his fighting that would be required for him to craft. This would be obtained through normal combat and the amount of resources he gets depends on the type of attack and amount of damage/knockback/hitstun dealt. This way, Steve would not only have a finite amount of things he can make or upgrade but also would be forced to be active in the battle instead of hiding or camping all the time. Being KOed would cause him to lose everything (crafted items, upgrades, all resources, etc). Once he's out of resources, he can't make anything and thus not able to endlessly camp.

Crafting would be performed instantly through a menu not unlike that of Hero, so he would be vulnerable when picking what to make/upgrade but be quick enough, and cancel-able, so he isn't at a disadvantage either (provided Steve has the resources to make what he wants). If a menu can work for Hero, then I see no reason why it couldn't work here. Of course, the menu would obviously look more akin to that of Minecraft and use symbols/icons for the creations/upgrades instead of words. Maybe also have it no randomized so Steve players can quickly pick what they want quicker via muscle memory, and also to keep more different from Hero. I'm thinking possibly a 3x3 or 4x4 grid with Steve's weapon upgrades, armor upgrades, blocks and/or platforms and some different gadgets found in Minecraft.

Terraforming could be limited in a multiple ways. First, each Steve could be limited to having 2 or three items, depending on the creation, on the battlefield at a time to prevent blocks from being spammed everywhere (also would be good to keep the game's performance from slowing down too). As Wunderwaft Wunderwaft stated, blocks/platforms would have a set HP for opponents to be able to destroy them, with the items broken by opponents causing the resources used to make them be erased as well so Steve cannot reuse them. I also think a finite time limit for each crafted item, not unlike Pac-Man's hydrant, could also be implemented as well, again with "timed out" creations not being able to be recycled so Steve must fight his opponents directly for resources again. I don't know if it'd be fair, but it'd also be funny if the AC characters could pocket Steve's blocks/platforms and place them elsewhere of their choosing. I understand the balancing concerns, but I feel like making the blocks as temporary as possible should be able to ease that for the most part.

NNID
JerBear92

I disagree with the bolded. There's a difference between a stage with walls that are always there and a character that can create walls that disappear.

Stages with hazards are banned, but some characters like Snake (C4), Isabellle (Lloid Trap) and Mega Man (Crash Bomb) can create stage hazards. Final Smashes are also banned but characters like Cloud (Limit Break specials), Little Mac (KO Punch) and Hero (Magic Burst) all have Final Smash-esque moves in their moveset. Items are banned too, but many, maaaaaany characters have items in their movesets.

The reason certain stages get banned is because whatever the reasons are that they're banned remain no matter what character you and your opponent choose and remain for the entire match, but when a character can recreate that, it's just a unique aspect of that character's kit and it's temporary

NNID
Sigran101
I disagree with the bolded. There's a difference between a stage with walls that are always there and a character that can create walls that disappear.

Stages with hazards are banned, but some characters like Snake (C4), Isabellle (Lloid Trap) and Mega Man (Crash Bomb) can create stage hazards. Final Smashes are also banned but characters like Cloud (Limit Break specials), Little Mac (KO Punch) and Hero (Magic Burst) all have Final Smash-esque moves in their moveset. Items are banned too, but many, maaaaaany characters have items in their movesets.

The reason certain stages get banned is because whatever the reasons are that they're banned remain no matter what character you and your opponent choose and remain for the entire match, but when a character can recreate that, it's just a unique aspect of that character's kit and it's temporary
I suppose that's fair. I guess Steve building wouldn't be any more like playing an illegal stage than Hero is like turning items on. I can get behind that.

G83mBoy

Smash Rookie
Idk who you're arguing against, its no question that Steve is mega iconic, anyone who says they aren't is just desparate for something bad to say lol
There's a surprising amount of people who downplay Steve by claiming he's lower on the Minecraft hierarchy compared to the other elements of the game (namely mobs and blocks). Plus, due to him being the default skin, assuming he's immediately replaced, and as such, no one cares or even knows he exists. It's not true of course, (he's the most popular skin by far + all his variations), and it would be nearly impossible for anyone not to know Steve, considering he's everywhere on Multiplayer, promo artwork, and on the inventory screen itself.

Generally the arguments are in bad faith and lead to nothing productive, but the fact that Microsoft specifically made a statue of Steve -- not Alex, Creeper, Dirt Block, DanTDM, Master Chief -- to put in their stores, is just a fact you can't downplay.