• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is something that would need to be playtested to determine the best amount and HP of the blocks
My suggestion is to have them weaker first and buff him after playtests. This way you get an idea of how he measures up right away to your general cast. Though it doesn't help that we don't have an "average" character anymore, as Mario got updated heavily since 4 to be high tier at bare minimum. Kirby somewhat plays the role more now, I guess?

Steve might get deconfirmed and if he does i will still support him
This is a great answer. One shouldn't stop supporting a character that easily. Of course, some give up hope, and that's understandable too. There's a ton of factors to look at that might discourage people. Reality is, sometimes things don't look good. If some give up hope, that happens. I mean, Smash can only have so many playable characters too. There is a limit to it. Balance and all. It makes a lot of sense why people don't have as much hope as they used to once the base roster got revealed. Especially when it was one of the smallest new rosters in Smash history(only 11 newcomers. Every game has had more).

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
My suggestion is to have them weaker first and buff him after playtests. This way you get an idea of how he measures up right away to your general cast. Though it doesn't help that we don't have an "average" character anymore, as Mario got updated heavily since 4 to be high tier at bare minimum. Kirby somewhat plays the role more now, I guess?

This is a great answer. One shouldn't stop supporting a character that easily. Of course, some give up hope, and that's understandable too. There's a ton of factors to look at that might discourage people. Reality is, sometimes things don't look good. If some give up hope, that happens. I mean, Smash can only have so many playable characters too. There is a limit to it. Balance and all. It makes a lot of sense why people don't have as much hope as they used to once the base roster got revealed. Especially when it was one of the smallest new rosters in Smash history(only 11 newcomers. Every game has had more).
I did not mean playtest as in when he is released, I meant playtest him before he is released

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I did not mean playtest as in when he is released, I meant playtest him before he is released
That's what I mean too.

That's how you balance him for the first release. Start him off with something simple and give him a few buffs after a bit of playtesting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Too bad Google Theory has kinda deconfirmed Steve
...What does this have to do with my point in any way?

Good Theory is honestly more likely to be fake. There's nothing really worth putting stock into. Some have been able to get characters beyond those 5 to show up as well, which just shows how much of a load of bunk it is. I have a hard time believing Google screwed up, since it's a "clean search", but somebody faking it is highly possible.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
Google theory hasn't proven to be real. Personally, it seems more likely to be faked.
Google Theory also hasn't been proven to be false. Also how would you fake this? Its not like all the other leaks where we have to trust someone. If I wanted to I could do it right now. The fact that only those 5 characters work and nobody else is a clear indicator that it is true. How in the world does a character like Steve not work, but Altorius does?
...What does this have to do with my point in any way?

Good Theory is honestly more likely to be fake. There's nothing really worth putting stock into. Some have been able to get characters beyond those 5 to show up as well, which just shows how much of a load of bunk it is. I have a hard time believing Google screwed up, since it's a "clean search", but somebody faking it is highly possible.
What other characters worked and did those people who found those names go through all the steps to make sure previous search history did not effect the results?

Also it has nothing to do with what you said, I agree and I just misunderstood you

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I personally feel that the “wait and see” approach is basically the best option right now.

Many characters feel pretty likely for E3 to the point that we can’t feel confident about anyone. Patience is probably the best thing for most of us right now, since the more we try to look up for any more points in favour of specific picks is the more worries most start getting.

I pretty much will only wait for the E3 reveals to form any kind of thoughts on the respective picks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Google Theory also hasn't been proven to be false. Also how would you fake this? Its not like all the other leaks where we have to trust someone. If I wanted to I could do it right now. The fact that only those 5 characters work and nobody else is a clear indicator that it is true. How in the world does a character like Steve not work, but Altorius does?
You buy ads. They get put up. Boom, faked. They cost a lot of money.

Why would someone who isn't made into an fake ad work? People are forgetting this key factor. It only works cause somebody made the ad for the character. It's a leak full of one character(which you can't even properly put in the Joker url for other characters without a 404 error, which already spells doom for the leak) whose ad variant is used to fake a ton of other ads. Joker's actual url just goes to the Smash website. The url for the other 4 do not redirect to anything. This is already telling that they used one url to try and fake it all.

What other characters worked and did those people who found those names go through all the steps to make sure previous search history did not effect the results?
History doesn't affect the results because only certain ads were made. If an ad wasn't made, which is obviously the case with Steve, why would he show up?

Give me a bit of time to find where I read it. Though my other points still stand. It's not just easy to make, but they copypasted Joker's ad to try and make it look real, but the urls don't work. Kind of a huge blow to the leak as is. Besides that, a lot of character ads didn't show up at times, but some still did. It's a bit too inconsistent. It's pretty easy reasoning that they ran out of money. It's not as strong evidence as the url problems, mind you, but it does make sense.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
I personally feel that the “wait and see” approach is basically the best option right now.

Many characters feel pretty likely for E3 to the point that we can’t feel confident about anyone. Patience is probably the best thing for most of us right now, since the more we try to look up for any more points in favour of specific picks is the more worries most start getting.

I pretty much will only wait for the E3 reveals to form any kind of thoughts on the respective picks.
I agree and I still support Steve, but I just seems unlikely. I want to clarifiy that I am unbiased towards the characters predicted by the Google Theory, if anything I do not like them. I just looking at the facts and I cannot think of a way this could be false. If you show me otherwise I am willing to change my mind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Short update: I did misread the "different characters showed up", but it was instead people messed with the search styles and got similar searches for other games, which does make it possible Google is just being weird.

Either way, we don't exactly have a lot of strong points going for the theory. It's not concrete like the box theory was. It's more like the music theory, a lot of weird stuff found and being clung onto a bit too hard. This is a case where being skeptical is more logical. At least it isn't really annoying like the Grinch Leak was, which outright had a lot of straight holes in its design(this one has less holes, but the non-working urls is an important thing to remember).

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
So I actually made a Google Ad, and it is easier than I thought, but expensive. Europe has 23 official languages, at $9-$20 per one, meaning $207-$460 per day. Its expensive, but doable. But there is a problem with this, there is no keyword section, which is hidden from the Ad receiver. There is a business category, where you could potentially hid the names, which can explain why only certain spelling or forms of the name aka Doom Slayer but not Doom Guy. If this is the case that would mean that he would have to buy 4 ADs (Joker is official) costing $828 - $1840 PER DAY! So this is either true or we have a dedicated rich troll

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I actually made a Google Ad, and it is easier than I thought, but expensive. Europe has 23 official languages, at $9-$20 per one, meaning $207-$460 per day. Its expensive, but doable. But there is a problem with this, there is no keyword section, which is hidden from the Ad receiver. There is a business category, where you could potentially hid the names, which can explain why only certain spelling or forms of the name aka Doom Slayer but not Doom Guy. If this is the case that would mean that he would have to buy 4 ADs (Joker is official) costing $828 - $1840 PER DAY! So this is either true or we have a dedicated rich troll
Considering a troll who not only but $4000 worth of Roalina amiibo, and claimed to have made the Grinch Leak(which probably cost money too)...

Yeah, it's pretty believable to have a rich troll. It might even be the same person, Mariotehplumber.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
Considering a troll who not only but $4000 worth of Roalina amiibo, and claimed to have made the Grinch Leak(which probably cost money too)...

Yeah, it's pretty believable to have a rich troll. It might even be the same person, Mariotehplumber.
But if it was a troll, if they are spending that much wouldn't they at least use some of the most requested characters? Who has even heard of Artorias? I suppose he might have done this to be more believeable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But if it was a troll, if they are spending that much wouldn't they at least use some of the most requested characters? Who has even heard of Artorias? I suppose he might have done this to be more believeable.
That's not how fake leakers inherently work. Putting in one sleeper hit with a trio of far bigger requests is a common tactic. There's a reason why the Grinch Leak was highly popular, cause it had no sleeper picks whatsoever. But it wasn't just fake, but had quite a lot of evidence against it. This one only has the factor that "it could easily be faked" and that's it. It also has the exact amount of characters in the Fighter's Pass, with nothing for extremely unrealistic picks.

Artorias is also a very popular Dark Souls boss, and is the face of the definitive edition. He's a perfect "sleeper hit" to go with. He's also believable as a character because many unexpected choices can tend to come up. B&K is the only one on that list that a lot of people even expect, and that can be iffy. Overall, it fits what Reggie told us, picks that you wouldn't expect.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
I guess all we can do is wait for the next character reveal, I’m hoping there is going to be one at E3

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
It's all but inevitable. Now, whether we'll get two reveals, that's up in the air.
If I know anything about Nintendo it’s to expect the unexpected. I but nobody predicted a direct talking about Joker would then immediately be followed by his update the next day.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I know anything about Nintendo it’s to expect the unexpected. I but nobody predicted a direct talking about Joker would then immediately be followed by his update the next day.
To be fair, he wasn't ready to be shown at the VGA. His proper announcement(but not trailer) would've likely been during the previous Smash direct. The VGA thing wasn't something Sakurai was intending to show off that early yet.

E3 is a different matter. They clearly can show a quick announcement for at least 1 character with no issues. 2 is debatable enough.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There's this concept for Steve in Smash by Delzethin; I think it could be an excellent portrayal of Steve.

May need some differences, such as some other tools being used in aerials, but overall it seems great.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
There's this concept for Steve in Smash by Delzethin; I think it could be an excellent portrayal of Steve.

May need some differences, such as some other tools being used in aerials, but overall it seems great.
Watched the video already, Delzethin's ideas for Steve's blocks are just way too unbalanced for smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Really well done video
I like the application of blocks and crafting in this concept video. I never thought of using the splash potion as Steve's up-smash in a way like Snake's mortar.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Watched the video already, Delzethin's ideas for Steve's blocks are just way too unbalanced for smash.
Maybe, but I think they'd be fine; you can only have one obsidian, and only 3 blocks total at a time. The magma block, while it can deal damage, would be weak like the grass block, plus some characters could still take out even the obsidian quickly.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Placing three small, relatively easy to destroy blocks on the floor isn't unbalanced at all. Like, you do realise that it would only take three of Mario's tiny fireballs to destroy a grass block? Hell, three of Dedede's gordos alone can take out the third strongest block. Any decent player isn't going to just let Steve stand there and cycle through to obsidian. The worst Steve can do with these blocks is edge guard (which won't be an issue for characters who have multiple jumps, good recoveries and/or can walljump). If used as cover or just randomly placed along the stage, they can just be easily destroyed or ignored.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
The worst Steve can do with these blocks is edge guard (which won't be an issue for characters who have multiple jumps, good recoveries and/or can walljump).
I think that you are right about Steve being too OP for edge guarding, if we limit Steve with just one block or no blocks at all, he won't feel like you are playing as Steve in his homegame.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think that you are right about Steve being too OP for edge guarding, if we limit Steve with just one block or no blocks at all, he won't feel like you are playing as Steve in his homegame.
Fitting, considering you aren't playing Steve in his homegame. If they can limit Olimar with three Pikmin, limiting Steve for balance reasons wouldn't be unprecedented.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
I never once said that Steve is too overpowered for edge guarding. I said that that would be his best method of using blocks - and is immediately followed up by me saying that it wouldn't be an issue for a good chunk of fighters. Making the blocks grabbable completely negates any edge guarding Steve may be trying to do, as if he were to build three blocks horizontally along the end of the stage, all he would be doing is making the stage even bigger and even easier to grab back onto. You would have to be in a very situational spot for you to be beneath the stage and not recover high enough before Steve builds three blocks vertically to further complicate things.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
E3 is coming
I hope steve isnt a mii costume
I don't think there's much likelyhood of that happening, even if Steve/Minecraft doesn't get in at all. Going from Sakurai's past comments, he'd want to capture what makes the game stand out, which cannot be done with a generic Mii costume as other, more traditional characters, could. We know he respects and likes Minecraft, and it looking for characters that bring abilities to the table that only they can while capturing the essence of their games, which makes me believe that Steve would be an all-or-nothing type deal where either he's a super unique playable character, or the series doesn't make it into Smash.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Here’s my post from the discussion thread taking about the math of Steve and Banjo bringing people (and money) to Smash
I saw the topic of Banjo/Steve promoting the Switch and I did the math for this some time ago and while it’s not perfect, here it is:
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie together sold 5.04 million copies.
Minecraft has sold 176 million copies.
Let’s assume that every copy sold is a single owner for one of these games. While it’s unlikely, there’s no real way of checking how many people have both BK games and how many people have more than 1 copy of Minecraft and I think those two assumptions about balance each other out.
If only 3% of Minecraft owners bought a Switch with Smash and one DLC character, that’s more than if all owners of a BK game bought that set. That’s also 1 927 200 000$ spent on Nintendo products.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think there's much likelyhood of that happening, even if Steve/Minecraft doesn't get in at all. Going from Sakurai's past comments, he'd want to capture what makes the game stand out, which cannot be done with a generic Mii costume as other, more traditional characters, could. We know he respects and likes Minecraft, and it looking for characters that bring abilities to the table that only they can while capturing the essence of their games, which makes me believe that Steve would be an all-or-nothing type deal where either he's a super unique playable character, or the series doesn't make it into Smash.
I could understand the avoidance of a Mii costume, but why wouldn't he at least add Spirits? Or maybe a stage? Like, there's no denying a Minecraft stage is a strong representation of a lot of the series is about. Though this is a good one to have an Assist Trophy too(Creeper probably?).

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I could understand the avoidance of a Mii costume, but why wouldn't he at least add Spirits? Or maybe a stage? Like, there's no denying a Minecraft stage is a strong representation of a lot of the series is about. Though this is a good one to have an Assist Trophy too(Creeper probably?).
Mostly because it seems that the fighters pass is the only DLC we'll get. And if the Microsoft character isn't Steve, then Minecraft won't get any representation. Why would a Minecraft stage be made for a different Microsoft series? It doesn't really make sense. And assist trophies are not promised to be part of the fighters pass. Even a spirit won't happen because if it's another series then it's only going to be spirits of that particular series. Look at the Joker pack, not a single spirit of any SMT character or any Persona character that isn't in Persona 5, not even Jack Frost (the mascot of Atlus) appeared as a Spirit. Minecraft is an all or nothing deal, either it gets representation or it doesn't.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mostly because it seems that the fighters pass is the only DLC we'll get. And if the Microsoft character isn't Steve, then Minecraft won't get any representation. Why would a Minecraft stage be made for a different Microsoft series? It doesn't really make sense. And assist trophies are not promised to be part of the fighters pass. Even a spirit won't happen because if it's another series then it's only going to be spirits of that particular series. Look at the Joker pack, not a single spirit of any SMT character or any Persona character that isn't in Persona 5, not even Jack Frost (the mascot of Atlus) appeared as a Spirit. Minecraft is an all or nothing deal, either it gets representation or it doesn't.
There's little reason to believe we couldn't get Spirits of other franchises. AT's and Stages are one thing. But we weren't even promised Spirits and still got them. Besides that, promotional Spirits separately would be a great idea for the other Microsoft franchises, as it would show the fanbases more love.

I doubt we'd lack any Minecraft content at all at this point, unless Microsoft isn't involved whatsoever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
minecraft spirits are easy as hell

honestly you could just make a spirit for diamonds where you have to fight blue kirby equipped with a killing edge because iron pickaxe

untitled.png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ooh that's good.
I imagine a villager spirit would have you fight... villager....
Yeah I'm not very creative.
each DLC spirit has 10 spirit battles (excluding fighter spirits) so basically i can just make a whole list like:

untitled.png

- Opponent prefers certain moves (any explosive move basically)
- Opponent only attacks when close
untitled.png
untitled.png
untitled.png
untitled.png

- Defeat an army of fighters (Zombie, Baby Zombie aka Tiny Incineroar, Husk, and Drowned)
- The enemy is easily distracted by items
- Certain items will spawn (Back Shield / Sword Weapons, references how zombies can pick up weapons and wear armor)
untitled.png
untitled.png

- Defeat the main fighter to win
- Opponent prefer special moves (arrow spam gang)

Diddy Kong is a spider reference since skeletons can ride them.
untitled.png

- Timed Battle
- Certain items will appear (Black Hole)
- Items gravitate toward the opponent
- The opponent is distracted by items
untitled.png

- The enemy loves to jump
- Opponent prefers special moves (Fireball)
- The floor is lava
- The enemy breathes fire after a little while
untitled.png
untitled.png

- Defeat the main fighter
- Reinforcements will appear
- You cannot last long in water
minecraft spirits are easy as hell

honestly you could just make a spirit for diamonds where you have to fight blue kirby equipped with a killing edge because iron pickaxe

View attachment 225395

And basically the superbosses:
untitled.png

untitled.png
untitled.png
untitled.png
untitled.png
untitled.png

- Team battle
- Your teammate tends to avoid conflict
- Opponents will try to attack your teammate
- You lose if your teammate is KO'd
- Reinforcements will appear during battle

This is all the types of illagers: Pillager, Ravager, Vindicator, Evoker, and for the hell of it I threw a Witch in there.

This sounds super hard on its own but the idea is to have it go like a raid system where one or two come in at a time. Basically I want it go to like:

- Pillager and Ravager
- Evoker and Vindicator
- Witch
untitled.png

- Stamina battle
- The opponent prefers special moves
- The opponent has increased defense / shield
- The floor is poison
- You take serious damage after a little while
untitled.png
untitled.png

- Stamina battle
- The enemy is giant
- The enemy will heal over time
- The enemy will suddenly have a final smash

i spent like a whole goddamn hour typing this god i have to work early tomorrow why did i do this

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
each DLC spirit has 10 spirit battles (excluding fighter spirits) so basically i can just make a whole list like:

View attachment 225398

- Opponent prefers certain moves (any explosive move basically)
- Opponent only attacks when close
View attachment 225400 View attachment 225400 View attachment 225411 View attachment 225412

- Defeat an army of fighters (Zombie, Baby Zombie aka Tiny Incineroar, Husk, and Drowned)
- The enemy is easily distracted by items
- Certain items will spawn (Back Shield / Sword Weapons, references how zombies can pick up weapons and wear armor)
View attachment 225401 View attachment 225402

- Defeat the main fighter to win
- Opponent prefer special moves (arrow spam gang)

Diddy Kong is a spider reference since skeletons can ride them.
View attachment 225416

- Timed Battle
- Certain items will appear (Black Hole)
- Items gravitate toward the opponent
- The opponent is distracted by items
View attachment 225405

- The enemy loves to jump
- Opponent prefers special moves (Fireball)
- The floor is lava
- The enemy breathes fire after a little while
View attachment 225418 View attachment 225419

- Defeat the main fighter
- Reinforcements will appear
- You cannot last long in water

And basically the superbosses:
View attachment 225420

View attachment 225425 View attachment 225424 View attachment 225422 View attachment 225426View attachment 225421

- Team battle
- Your teammate tends to avoid conflict
- Opponents will try to attack your teammate
- You lose if your teammate is KO'd

This is all the types of illagers: Pillager, Ravager, Vindicator, Evoker, and for the hell of it I threw a Witch in there.

This sounds super hard on its own but the idea is to have it go like a raid system where one or two come in at a time. Basically I want it go to like:

- Pillager and Ravager
- Evoker and Vindicator
- Witch
View attachment 225410

- Stamina battle
- The opponent prefers special moves
- The opponent has increased defense / shield
- The floor is poison
- You take serious damage after a little while
View attachment 225408 View attachment 225416

- Stamina battle
- The enemy is giant
- The enemy will heal over time
- The enemy will suddenly have a final smash

i spent like a whole goddamn hour typing this god i have to work early tomorrow why did i do this
It was all for a good cause. Your spirit ideas are interesting and cool.

Top Bottom