• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's also his boxart, where Steve has a very sleek design that fits Smash fine in itself. The design fits into a game full of crossover characters with no specific type of design/consistency. As a crossover game, any kind of design can easily fit in. If anything, making sure the animations actually work properly is more important. There's a ton of clipping regularly as is, which looks more jarring than a fairly stiff character. But we already have Wario and Mr. Game & Watch, who are very stiff in their animations, something I'd expect out of Steve.

If just want to say you don't like Steve in Smash, this is the wrong thread for it.
To be fair, the user is being completely reasonable about it. Not bashing in any way, which is the bigger issue. Criticism is always good and keeps threads active too. :) Nothing wrong with a difference in opinion as long as it's expressed respectfully.

...I've seen actual bashing, though it's not in this thread, heh.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Im not really a supporter but I came to see the other side of the fence so to speak.

I know these videos are jsut fan ideas/intepretations but it just furthers my thoughts that Steve aesthetically and design wise just does not fit in Smash. They all just looked so awkward and jarring in a bad way. I like the ideas presented but I HATE how they look.
Steve's movements are very reminiscent of the basic world of Minecraft he hails from. If anything, his movement only further represents the franchise. Even if things look clunky, Sakurai can nail those types of characters as we've seen with Game & Watch. I can definitely see where the concerns are, but I'm not going to judge until I actually see Steve in Smash because Sakurai and his team are very talented, and they know how to handle these types of situations. They always make the impossible and unexpected work which exceeds expectations by a landslide.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Im not really a supporter but I came to see the other side of the fence so to speak.

I know these videos are jsut fan ideas/intepretations but it just furthers my thoughts that Steve aesthetically and design wise just does not fit in Smash. They all just looked so awkward and jarring in a bad way. I like the ideas presented but I HATE how they look.
Fair point. As someone who strongly supports Steve, I can't deny the presented animations do look a little off. Should he get in, I would expect the team to animate him a bit more naturally, maybe something closer to the way the characters move in the Dungeons trailer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, personally I'm not a fan of those animations. I'd hope for something a bit more fluid, a la Story Mode.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I posted this in the Sora support thread, but I'm gonna post it here to since it's relevant and I want to check how viable this is as an argument before I stick with it. So without further ado:

Okay, I'm just gonna come out and touch on a subject that's been on my mind for a while now. I think I have a clear cut theory on predicting the future fighters for the Fighter pass. Just keep in mind that my reasoning is seriously half-baked and I'm posting this here to see if this train of thought has any potential to stand as an argument.

So, the Joker reveal was a pretty exciting and surprising time and at the time a lot of people were wondering "why Joker". After all, he didn't have a Nintendo presence until recently, and even then it was in a spin-off of a spin-off which barely had a presence on Nintendo platforms. I know Cloud barely had a presence on Nintendo platforms in spin-off titles too, but he still had multiple appearances as opposed to Joker's singular appearance, and on top of that, it was Sakurai's decision to include him, as opposed to Joker, who appeared on Nintendo's wishlist.

It's a weird thing when you think about it. As soon as we heard that Nintendo was making the picks, we were expecting them to go total sellout-mode and just choose characters who could advertise any given game that they were associated with, and now that thought has been completely erased from our minds, or at least it isn't a focus of conversation. So I want to ask, now that we've seen the true potential of the fighters pass, do any of you still think that way, because I kind of do, and the way I see it, Nintendo is just pandering to their partners.

If you think about it there are a few things going for Persona 5, like the fact that it sold more than any other single game that Atlus had produced, the game itself had a Nintendo reference in the form of a SNES, and the biggest draw for me is the strong relationship that Atlus has with Nintendo. And that's what I want to focus on here, which game do well sales wise, has a pretty big Nintendo reference slapped on it, and is owned by a company that's friendly with Nintendo.

So far I only have two games on my mind to where all of these criteria are met: Kingdom Heart 3 and Minecraft.
Kingdom Hearts 3 sold well, Has a Game & Watch minigame slapped in there, and the owner, Disney, has had a VERY strong relationship with Nintendo. Partnering with them to feature the Switch in a Disney hosted family game show, as well as having their recently announced games featured exclusively on the switch.
Minecraft is a hot item, has tons of Nintendo content exclusive to the Switch version, and Microsoft is about to have Xbox Live available for the Switch. They're even publishing a few of the games they own the publishing rights to onto the Nintendo Switch.

Those are the only two games I'm aware of that meet these three requirements, but you should get the gist of what I'm trying to say with this. If you think I'm onto something with this, please tell me about any game, preferably released within the past 5 years (or even this year), that have these requirements checked off. If not then I'm open to arguments (After all, we don't even know who the second character is going to be, so it's not like we have any comparable evidence). Thanks for reading!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I posted this in the Sora support thread, but I'm gonna post it here to since it's relevant and I want to check how viable this is as an argument before I stick with it. So without further ado:

Okay, I'm just gonna come out and touch on a subject that's been on my mind for a while now. I think I have a clear cut theory on predicting the future fighters for the Fighter pass. Just keep in mind that my reasoning is seriously half-baked and I'm posting this here to see if this train of thought has any potential to stand as an argument.

So, the Joker reveal was a pretty exciting and surprising time and at the time a lot of people were wondering "why Joker". After all, he didn't have a Nintendo presence until recently, and even then it was in a spin-off of a spin-off which barely had a presence on Nintendo platforms. I know Cloud barely had a presence on Nintendo platforms in spin-off titles too, but he still had multiple appearances as opposed to Joker's singular appearance, and on top of that, it was Sakurai's decision to include him, as opposed to Joker, who appeared on Nintendo's wishlist.

It's a weird thing when you think about it. As soon as we heard that Nintendo was making the picks, we were expecting them to go total sellout-mode and just choose characters who could advertise any given game that they were associated with, and now that thought has been completely erased from our minds, or at least it isn't a focus of conversation. So I want to ask, now that we've seen the true potential of the fighters pass, do any of you still think that way, because I kind of do, and the way I see it, Nintendo is just pandering to their partners.

If you think about it there are a few things going for Persona 5, like the fact that it sold more than any other single game that Atlus had produced, the game itself had a Nintendo reference in the form of a SNES, and the biggest draw for me is the strong relationship that Atlus has with Nintendo. And that's what I want to focus on here, which game do well sales wise, has a pretty big Nintendo reference slapped on it, and is owned by a company that's friendly with Nintendo.

So far I only have two games on my mind to where all of these criteria are met: Kingdom Heart 3 and Minecraft.
Kingdom Hearts 3 sold well, Has a Game & Watch minigame slapped in there, and the owner, Disney, has had a VERY strong relationship with Nintendo. Partnering with them to feature the Switch in a Disney hosted family game show, as well as having their recently announced games featured exclusively on the switch.
Minecraft is a hot item, has tons of Nintendo content exclusive to the Switch version, and Microsoft is about to have Xbox Live available for the Switch. They're even publishing a few of the games they own the publishing rights to onto the Nintendo Switch.

Those are the only two games I'm aware of that meet these three requirements, but you should get the gist of what I'm trying to say with this. If you think I'm onto something with this, please tell me about any game, preferably released within the past 5 years (or even this year), that have these requirements checked off. If not then I'm open to arguments (After all, we don't even know who the second character is going to be, so it's not like we have any comparable evidence). Thanks for reading!
Not sure why having Nintendo references is really a big deal, tbh...

It's just a reference, they happen all the time

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Not sure why having Nintendo references is really a big deal, tbh...

It's just a reference, they happen all the time
Sure they happen in general, but you rarely ever see Nintendo themed references. Especially not some as direct as the one seen in P5, where a SNES is the sole console you can buy in a PlayStation exclusive game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sure they happen in general, but you rarely ever see Nintendo themed references. Especially not some as direct as the one seen in P5, where a SNES is the sole console you can buy in a PlayStation exclusive game.
Not really. Nintendo is probably one of the most referenced companies in gaming...

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

The way I see it, the kinds of characters Nintendo would be more interested in promoting with be those they can sell as DLC, which is the main goal of paid content, and those they could use to promote possible current or future products. Persona is an oddball since it really doesn't have any major presence on Nintendo, and also doesn't have the massive legacy Cloud and Final Fantasy or Snake and Metal Gear have, but is rather popular right now. So far, there seems to be no intent to bring Persona 5 to Switch, so the cross promotion angle doesn't make much sense to me, however, bringing Joker over could be seen as way to catch the eye of PS4 gamers who may have not purchased a Switch or Smash. I can't say how viable this strategy would be, but with nothing else to go on, Joker doesn't make much sense as a promotional pick. Of course, he could just be an "I like him" pick for some reason, only time will tell.

As for Steve and Sora, I believe they do have more legacy and are overall better known in gaming communities that they could easily sell on their own merits. Steve also has the Switch version of Minecraft to cross promote, not to mention the growing partnership between Nintendo and Microsoft, to the point where I believe a MS character as DLC is inevitable. Nintendo also is working with Disney to bring Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 exclusively to Switch, so them talking with The Mouse isn't too unheard of either (in Sora's case, I'm unsure if dealing with Square-Enix is even necessary).

Nintendo has been much more open to collaborations with their IPs as of late. They're entrusting Universal with the rights to make a Super Mario movie and themed area in their theme parks and just a couple days ago announced a mashup with the Crypt of the Necrodancer series with Zelda.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Nintendo has been much more open to collaborations with their IPs as of late. They're entrusting Universal with the rights to make a Super Mario movie and themed area in their theme parks and just a couple days ago announced a mashup with the Crypt of the Necrodancer series with Zelda.
If I have to hazard a guess as to why, it's the same realization that Microsoft came to. That the whole digital streaming / download environment means that it's really, really lucrative to spread whatever you own around. Especially if you're not the consensus #1 in a certain field. Sony just so happens to own that spot. And this is also an environment where revivals are fully possible and pretty solid options (Capcom recently).

My biggest question about the Mario movie is the same as many others - that it's made by Illumination. But in that case, the worst case scenario is something like the Assassin's Creed movie. Which didn't hurt the AC brand terribly, honestly (from what I've heard, it isn't horrendous per se. But that's just what I've heard).

Still, MineCraft is probably the Microsoft IP that's the easiest to ship around like this. And I'm personally very open to Steve in Smash. Not because I happen to be from the same country as Notch, god no (Notch has truly gone off the deep end, lets leave it at that), but because of Steve's moveset potential and the ways that MineCraft can compliment Smash. Just like other Microsoft IPs like Halo and Banjo / Kazooie can compliment Smash really well.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Idk if it’s been disproved, but I think there’s more to the Erdrick-Ryu2-Steve-Doomguy leak now that we know Nintendo is the publisher of Dragon Quest XI S on Switch.

andree123

Smash Ace
Idk if it’s been disproved, but I think there’s more to the Erdrick-Ryu2-Steve-Doomguy leak now that we know Nintendo is the publisher of Dragon Quest XI S on Switch.
It may be disproved already since official doom twitter hadn't broke anything related to NDA even though it has tweets related to fans wanting doomguy in smash and the possible deconfirmation of Ryu2 in Smash Ultimate by a DOA developer.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
The DoA thing was actually a question about what DoA character they’d put in Smash.
And I don’t understand how the Doom pary of this works, could you elaborate?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo has published Dragon Quest games in the West for years. It's not a hard guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really hope that Steve becomes one of the DLC characters. He deserves to be playable.
Deserves is truly subjective, but he definitely earned the spot over and over again. Even before Microsoft bought the franchise. He had merchandise and highly iconic/recognizability quite early on.

Though I do find it fun that he was first named by the fans before Mojang took the name and ran with it. And once that was set in stone, he became known more by name than just the iconic design.

On another note, my worst nightmare if he were to get in is if they use that horrific 4chan design. ...Actually, I want to see a silly roster full of those kind of designs now. I mean, it'll give everybody nightmares, but...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think it was Notch who gave the name Steve, since people asked him what his name was and he (probably jokingly) responded "...Steve?"

The community and the rest of Mojang quickly ran with it, however.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They dropped the question mark somewhat recently, right? Or is it still something that shows up?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, the ? was dropped by now. The merchandise no longer uses it(I knew it was his correct name at some point, but I never saw merchandise with it, but I also never looked at it till within the last 2 years). I don't know when it was dropped, though. Maybe there was an issue with sales or Microsoft saw it as a problem? I dunno.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Any ideas on how steve's classic mode will be like?

I was thinking of an idea where the focus would be on characters that have included some form of crafting/creating/building or themes of such in their games.

It would go as following

Create Together, Explore Together, Survive Together

The Name is based on the slogan Nintendo and Microsoft used to promote Minecraft and its crossplay feature. To keep with this theme, Nintendo's Mario will be aiding Microsoft's Steve through most of this journey.

1. Vs :ultmario: (Hard Hat Alt), during Co-op :ultluigi: will also be present.
Stage: Super Mario Maker
Song: Mario Paint Medley
Notes: As the alt and stage give it away, this is clearly a nod to Super Mario Maker and it's whole level building theme.

2. Vs (giant) :ultyoshi: (Crafted World Alt)
Ally: :ultmario: (Hard Hat Alt)
Stage: Super Happy Tree
Song: Yoshi's Wooly World (Remix)
Notes: This is a nod to the upcoming Yoshi's Crafted World game with the character and stage appearing to be constructed from materials. Yoshi remains alone during Co-op as well.

3. Vs :ultpacman: (horde)
Stage: Pac-Land
Song: Pac-Man's Park/Block Town
Notes: This is a nod to The World's Biggest Pac-Man browser game in which players from around the world get to make custom Pac-Man mazes and play them all together in a massive game of Pac-Man.

4. Vs DQ Character (if DLC exists and downloaded) or :ultcloud: (Blue Alt) if no DLC comes to fruition/is not purchased
Stage: Minecraft Stage
Song: Fight On!
Notes: This is a nod to the Dragon Quest Builders games. If Dragon Quest does not get DLC or if that DLC isn't purchased, Cloud (the lone Square Enix charcter) will be a stand-in for that. Cloud's presence can also be seen as a nod to weapon/item crafting often found in RPG games. During Co-Op, Cloud will join in with the DQ fighter or himself (depending on who the initial opponent is).

5. Vs :ultbrawler:,:ultgunner: , :ultswordfighter: and :ultvillager:(Random Alts) (horde)
Stage: Super Mario Maker
Song: Mii Channel (Remix)
Notes: Another horde battle but full of custom characters. Obviously, the Miis are the best way to convey a character creator while Villagers convey the customization options he has in his own game.

6. Vs :ultlink: (BTOW standard) and :ultfalcon:
Ally: :ultmario:(Hard Hat Alt)
Stage: Great Plateau Tower
Song: Title (Tri Force Heroes)
Notes: For Link, this is a nod to the weapon management and food crafting of Breath of the Wild. For Falcon, this is a nod to the custom vehicle creation in F-Zero GX. The AI is a bit higher for these two than normal to make this a more thrilling fight.

7. Bonus Game
Notes: Basically it's just the standard bonus game.

8. Boss Rathalos (if no Minecraft boss is added)
Notes: There's been rumors of a Minecraft boss being included for some time now, if that happens, this would obviously be the choice for Steve. However, if no boss is added, then Rathalos makes a good stand-in for the Ender Dragon.

dankDadi

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7920 2309 3314
it would be cool if he had a potion selection, like a splash of poision, slowness, and instant damage or a normal potion of regeneration, speed, and instant health

TheBeastHimself

I'd personally want to see Steve somehow incorporate a minecart into his moveset. Whether it would be a side b vehicle move or not, I think it'd be interesting to see.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure anyone thought about this before,but steve should incoperate a dispenser into his moveset and it could be like a sentry shooting out random projectiles in a certain direction

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

You guys heard the recent news that Minecraft removed all references to Notch except in the game's credits? I'm looking through his tweets, his very questionable tweets...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You guys heard the recent news that Minecraft removed all references to Notch except in the game's credits? I'm looking through his tweets, his very questionable tweets...
Notch went coocoo after selling Minecraft. He's not really how he used to be after becoming a billionaire.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm guessing they would've left in the splash messages relating to Notch if he was still the same, but he's been making controversial tweets (really mean stuff like transphobic and white supremacy crap) so it's understandable; he's still in the game's credits because he's the game's creator, of course, and they legally have to include everyone who has worked on the game.

edit: tbh I haven't seen his tweets myself, but I have seen youtubers like AntVenom mention it and people in the comment section bringing it up, so I find it hard to believe it's not true. -edit 2: well, after actually looking at some tweets, he seems sorta weird now; a few of his offensive tweets also seem like a case of ignorance and arrogance so idk.

sorry for the political crap, I'm not into politics myself but I just felt like sharing info...

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
To be honest, I haven't seen him say anything all too bad, but then I don't keep up on social media so I can't say I read everything he's said. At least he's not actively antagonizing or attacking his fans unlike some other creators out there.

Regardless, let's steer this thread away from needless politics and prevent any potential bickering.

Instead, do you think it's possible, albeit probably unlikely, for a DLC character to bring an item from his/her home series? If so, what kind of item could Steve bring and how would it be unique and function in Smash?

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I haven't seen him say anything all too bad, but then I don't keep up on social media so I can't say I read everything he's said. At least he's not actively antagonizing or attacking his fans unlike some other creators out there.

Regardless, let's steer this thread away from needless politics and prevent any potential bickering.

Instead, do you think it's possible, albeit probably unlikely, for a DLC character to bring an item from his/her home series? If so, what kind of item could Steve bring and how would it be unique and function in Smash?
Ender pearl could be an item and when thrown it will teleport the user into the place where its thrown

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm guessing they would've left in the splash messages relating to Notch if he was still the same, but he's been making controversial tweets (really mean stuff like transphobic and white supremacy crap) so it's understandable; he's still in the game's credits because he's the game's creator, of course, and they legally have to include everyone who has worked on the game.
More of a reason for me to hate Minecraft.

That said iirc all mention of Notch has been scrubbed from it via update. Or at least, that's what I heard.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Ender pearl could be an item and when thrown it will teleport the user into the place where its thrown
Good idea! That would be a lot of fun to use. I wonder how it would work when dealing with reflectors and the Animal Crossing pocket ability.

I can see some potential for some wacky side effects coming from it. Imagine getting the timing just right with Isabelle's fishing rod and all of a sudden you get cloned or something like that.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

An item eh?
How about a splash potion?
It can have different effects every time you throw it at someone.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
An item eh?
How about a splash potion?
It can have different effects every time you throw it at someone.
That would be cool too. They've been adding several status affects over the years they could use. I imagine things like being shrunken, having a damaging flower, having a reverse-control mushroom, given curry breath among others be placed on them upon impact.

andree123

Smash Ace
Oh look, the official kirby twitter account deconfirmed Steve minecraft.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh look, the official kirby twitter account deconfirmed Steve minecraft.
He's just confirmed for Star Allies.

SKX31

Smash Master
He's just confirmed for Star Allies.
Wait, you mean Steve? In Star Allies?

Now I can finally rampage through Dreamland by destroying its terrain and building masterpieces! Yay!

/s obviously

Top Bottom