• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft isn't comparable to any other franchise that isn't in smash, if it gets in, it WILL be because of it being Minecraft. We know Sakurai likes doing things everyone will recognise while also being a surprise, its why Piranha Plant happned. It is good to support Steve for smash but Minecraft isn't just gonna fade off the map. I feel like its most comparable to Dragon Quest where it was just so big it was more of a "bout time" choice, the actual character choice itself was only popular within its fans and that's fine.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Minecraft isn't comparable to any other franchise that isn't in smash, if it gets in, it WILL be because of it being Minecraft. We know Sakurai likes doing things everyone will recognise while also being a surprise, its why Piranha Plant happned. It is good to support Steve for smash but Minecraft isn't just gonna fade off the map. I feel like its most comparable to Dragon Quest where it was just so big it was more of a "bout time" choice, the actual character choice itself was only popular within its fans and that's fine.
Though there's one clear difference between Minecraft and DQ.

One is just plain more known worldwide, and isn't niche anywhere.

Besides that, to be fair, DQ's Heroes do play a big story role where Steve isn't similar to that. There's no question both have huge legacies, spawning multiple games due to what they created/enabled. Even if we don't get Steve playable, I expect MC content in, especially since Microsoft is involved.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Although while Minecraft is really big and so it could feel like a "'bout time" choice, I feel we should still rally the fanbase for Steve's inclusion.

That way it's more-likely, and hopefully Minecraft fans that want Steve in Smash won't have to wait as long.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And sure enough, there's an argument happening in the Conker thread. I wish this kind of thing didn't have to happen...:(

Although while Minecraft is really big and so it could feel like a "'bout time" choice, I feel we should still rally the fanbase for Steve's inclusion.

That way it's more-likely, and hopefully Minecraft fans that want Steve in Smash won't have to wait as long.
Yeah, most of Minecraft's fanbase is a bunch of kids nowadays, probably usually the kind that would play with something for approximately five minutes, rather than seriously being into it. This isn't the time for complacency.

D

Deleted member

Hey I know I’m like a month late but I just want to say I’m sorry steve didn’t get in as the Microsoft. Of course there is still Minecraft content from verge but the only things I can think of is a mii costume a stage or spirit. Hey at least it’s somthing I guess. But hey since there was a big push for wanting him back in September sakurai would notice it and maybe there’ll be a chance for him to get in. After all sakurai sure dose like Minecraft. Like maybe if there is possibly more dlc then I think he’ll have a chance and if not there’s always smash 6. just don’t give up hope for him and stay strong.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I dont understand how people say steve is more suited for a assist trophy or a mii costune like,sure i can where they are coming from but hes not "more" suited to be a mii costume or a assist trophy than a fighter

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
This speculation cycle did show a pretty ugly side of the Smash fanbase. We've seen major discussion about Minecraft and Dragon Quest this time around, and the respective supporters of older speculated characters didn't take too kindly to it. Opening the Banjo and Geno threads got old and annoying because of it, every time I opened the threads for these two characters I saw someone trashing on Dragon Quest and Minecraft. It led to an us vs them mentality that is frankly quite primitive and disgusting to see. It reminds me of football supporters and how barbaric they can get when they encounter supporters of another team.

Regardless, if there's one positive thing I can say about this whole ordeal it's that Steve is longer an "outsider" pick for the Smash fanbase. People are more acceptable to his inclusion now. Just compare this old fan made ballot that was organized before the game's release to this one that got made a few months ago. And while fan made polls are bias in nature and can never properly portray the entire Smash fan base, I think it's notable that this was organized by the same group of people(which means it most likely received votes from the same demographic that voted previously) and Steve upgraded from not appearing on the list to being on the top five. Of course there are some factors that played a role for why this change happened, such as more people voting for third party characters in general because it's DLC. But ultimately there's one big reason why this change happened, more and more people have come around the idea of Steve being playable and started supporting the character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This speculation cycle did show a pretty ugly side of the Smash fanbase. We've seen major discussion about Minecraft and Dragon Quest this time around, and the respective supporters of older speculated characters didn't take too kindly to it. Opening the Banjo and Geno threads got old and annoying because of it, every time I opened the threads for these two characters I saw someone trashing on Dragon Quest and Minecraft. It led to an us vs them mentality that is frankly quite primitive and disgusting to see. It reminds me of football supporters and how barbaric they can get when they encounter supporters of another team.

Regardless, if there's one positive thing I can say about this whole ordeal it's that Steve is longer an "outsider" pick for the Smash fanbase. People are more acceptable to his inclusion now. Just compare this old fan made ballot that was organized before the game's release to this one that got made a few months ago. And while fan made polls are bias in nature and can never properly portray the entire Smash fan base, I think it's notable that this was organized by the same group of people(which means it most likely received votes from the same demographic that voted previously) and Steve upgraded from not appearing on the list to being on the top five. Of course there are some factors that played a role for why this change happened, such as more people voting for third party characters in general because it's DLC. But ultimately there's one big reason why this change happened, more and more people have come around the idea of Steve being playable and started supporting the character.
He scored high on an old Reddit poll, too. But man, does that second poll you linked also show how people completely lost confidence in a Pokémon pick...

PWX4a4H.jpg

Last edited:

Naptec

Smash Cadet
Just wanting to say that I support Steve for Smash, just because his moveset can be absolutely dope and weird and unique. I saw multiple movesets until now on this thread and here's minecraft :

Jab and Nair (just gonna use jab for gaining time) : He just punches in front of him. It deals weak damage and knockback, but is fast, and can instantly destroy blocks

Ftilt : A vertical swing with a pickaxe. The move is pretty slow but deals decent damage and knockback. It gives 1 cobblestone to Steve

Dtilt : Steve uses a hoe to plow the soil (idk if I name this correctly). This move can bury or spike with the tip of the hoe. Also, if you use Dtilt 3 times in a row, he gains 1 wheat, 1 potato, 1 carrot, 1 pumpkin, 7 melon slices or 1 beetroot (the food obtained is completely random)

Utilt : He places a block of sand above him, letting the gravity do his work on the sand (just like in MC). The falling sand block can spike, and if two sand blocks in a row are landed, the opponent in buried

Fsmash : Guess it's time to use the axe, so here it is. It's pretty similar to Link and Young Link's Fsmashes

Usmash : He places some water directly above him or one block on the side. The water will continue to flow until he uses a jab on the water to take it

Dsmash : First he places a tree sapling nearby, then he uses bone meal to grow it up. It's a 2 hit Dsmash : the first hit (the sapling) deals very weak damage and have set knockback to the stronger second hit (the tree), who deals high damage and ejects the opponent straight up. The tree will stay on the stage until he takes 75% damage or Steve uses 5 jabs on the wood. If the tree is destroyed by Steve, he would gain 5 logs and have 25% chances to have 1 apple with the logs. You have a 50% chance to get an apple, 5% chance to get a golden apple and 1% chance to het an enchanted golden apple when breaking the leaves

Grab : You see Isabelle's side-B, the fishing rod ? THen you got Steve's grab and throw ! It's also his Zair. Each throw gives you 1 fish

Dash Attack : A running shield bash who can deflect projectiles if it touches the shield. It also functions as a shieldbreaker

Fair : He uses a crossbow and shoot a firework who travers around 5 meters before exploding (the explosion's pattern is random). The shot moves Steve backwards, it can be used as a recovery move if you're facing away from the stage (not sure this will be used anytime soon). The shot can be angled, and the firework's explosion can hurt Steve as well, so be careful! It consumes 1 firework

Bair : Steve uses his trident and gives 3 thrusts backwards.

Uair : Steve uses his bow to shoot an arrow above him. The arrow breaks through armor, and consumes 1 arrow

Dair : He throws a lingering potion of damage below him. The AoE of the potion will shrink over time, and will stay up to 5 seconds. Consumes 1 potion

Neutral B : Inventory
I mentionned earlier that some some attacks gives you some blocks. This is where they're stocked and can be chosen from. You can have up to 9 items and blocks, whick are :
- Wood Planks (can be placed right in front of the face of Steve and above/below him in the direction he's facing. Also used for trading and crafting)
- Cobblestone (can be places directly above/below him, the block placing can be angled. Also used for trading and crafting)
- Wheat (used to summon killable mobs which can give you bones or leather. The bones summons wolves who fights for you, and the leather is for crafting armor. The wheat can be used for crafting and trading)
- Apple (used to heal yourself around 5%. The golden one heals 10% and the enchanted golden apple heals 30%)
- Crossbow and Fireworks (used for your attacking)
- Bow and Arrow (used for attacking)
- Potions (used for attacking)
- Bucket of Water (once full, you can use your Usmash)
- Fish and other food (can used for trading or for healing 5% damage)
- (only if crafted) TNT (Instant KO (even Steve) but takes 4 seconds to explode)

You can choose between them just like you can choose Monado Arts, then use them by pressing B
At the beginning of the game, you only have 10 fireworks, 10 arrows, 10 potions and your bucket full. Your weapons are also at the wooden state

Side B : Crafting Table
It's a block you can place and take using a jab. The crafting table lets you upgrade your gear and weapons with the items of your inventory. The game will automatically chose the highest material you have in your internal inventory (shown in Steve's in-game UI). The order is like in the game, which is :
- Leather/Wood
- Gold/Stone (the game will propritize gold over stone)
- Iron
- Diamond

When you press the B button near a crafting table, you can choose to craft better armor, better weapons or food. For simplicity, you only need 1 material for each item (example: you only need 4 leather to craft a full leather armor, or 1 stone to fully upgrade your tools and weapons). Here's how it works :
- Armor reduces the knockback received up to 20% and is basically Bowser's Tough Guy, you're immuned to weak knockbacks
- Weapons boosts your damage output and knockback. It's simple as that. PS: if you have redstone, you can craft TNT, which is an instant KO but takes 4 seconds to explode)
- Food can be consumed to heal yourself. you can craft 1 bread with 1 wheat, and 1 golden apple with 1 apple and 1 gold ingot. The bread heals 10% damage

Up B : Elytra/Ender Pearl
There's two versions of the Up B. The grounded version is Ender Pearl, which can be used to teleport yourself anywhere in the stage. If you hit the opponent with, you'll teleport right in front of them, leading to whetever you like. The aerial version of up-B is the Elytra. It functions the same as gliding in Brawl, but here's the thing : if you have a firework in your inventory, you can flight in the direction you want at high speed for a moderate amour of time before it functions like the basic Elytra. Doing this consumes 1 firework. You can also shoot arrows while gliding (costs 1 arrow per shot)

Down B : Trading
Doing this move summons a vilalger which can trade with Steve. It's the only wat to get diamonds, iron, gold, redstone, arrows, potions and fireworkd. Here's how it works :
- First, you summon the villager
- Then, you can trade your fishes and food, wood, cobblestone and wheat with respectively emeralds, potions, arrows and fireworks
- The emeralds you got from trading can then be traded with iron, gold, diamonds and redstone

Your total of emeralds will be the same through the game, even if you die, so don't worry about losing all your emeralds after a SD

Final Smash : The Wither
Steve summons the Wither and lets him do his work for a few second before killing him. After that, he would get diamond gear and weapons and 64 projectiles

(If the post is too long, please tell me, I'll post it in two parts. And thanks for reading, btw)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Let me just start by saying that I'm not a fan of Steve personally. Regardless, I do think he's our best choice for another third-party rep. Minecraft is undeniably one of the most iconic video game franchises to date. If we were to get another third-party, which I truthfully don't want to see, I'd prefer we get Steve.

And since I'm here, I might as well encourage you to not give up on Steve just because of Banjo. Acting like third-party companies have to get even and fair attention distributed during the DLC is ridiculous, and it's a poor method of choosing third-parties to begin with. Even if Steve isn't in Smash, I'd like to think Nintendo/Sakurai's thought process went a little bit farther than, "We already have a Microsoft rep, so let's add a Namco character now. Maybe someone from Tekken or Tales of?"

Concentrate on the character, not the company who owns the character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let me just start by saying that I'm not a fan of Steve personally. Regardless, I do think he's our best choice for another third-party rep. Minecraft is undeniably one of the most iconic video game franchises to date. If we were to get another third-party, which I truthfully don't want to see, I'd prefer we get Steve.

And since I'm here, I might as well encourage you to not give up on Steve just because of Banjo. Acting like third-party companies have to get even and fair attention distributed during the DLC is ridiculous, and it's a poor method of choosing third-parties to begin with. Even if Steve isn't in Smash, I'd like to think Nintendo/Sakurai's thought process went a little bit farther than, "We already have a Microsoft rep, so let's add a Namco character now. Maybe someone from Tekken or Tales of?"

Concentrate on the character, not the company who owns the character.
Yeah, and besides, now that the bear in the room got in, people will actually pay attention to Microsoft characters other than him now. Especially since a certain Tim Schafer property is now a subsidiary of Microsoft.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
At 1:38 could this be a hint?
Screenshot_20190715-181557_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Some people have been asking about the music, how is it gonna work since Minecraft’s music is so slow and chill. The remix of Persona 5’s Beneath the Mask shows that the Smash team absolutely can transform slower tracks into high speed bangers, but even if they did have a problem with the music, they could ask C418, the author of MC’s soundtrack, to make some remixes the same way Grant Kirkhope did for Banjo’s reveal theme.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Some people have been asking about the music, how is it gonna work since Minecraft’s music is so slow and chill. The remix of Persona 5’s Beneath the Mask shows that the Smash team absolutely can transform slower tracks into high speed bangers, but even if they did have a problem with the music, they could ask C418, the author of MC’s soundtrack, to make some remixes the same way Grant Kirkhope did for Banjo’s reveal theme.
I think it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

Somewhat recently I listened to the original 2:00 AM music from Animal Crossing: Wild World - which has an upbeat remix in Smash - and it was just as calm and slow as Minecraft’s music, if not slower. Most, if not all other Animal Crossing music aside from the K.K. songs are the same way.

I also think some tracks from Minecraft wouldn’t need a remix, either, if calm music is actually problem.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I dont understand why people see steve as just a meme character

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I dont understand why people see steve as just a meme character
Well there was a time when it was hip and cool to hate on Minecraft, so Steve got this stigma and was never taken seriously as a result. It wasn't until Ultimate's speculation cycle that everyone who hated the character crapped their pants in fear because they realized there's a legitimate chance of Steve being playable. The other reason is what KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 said, Steve has this unique design and aesthetic that is different from everyone else in the roster so people kind of look at Steve and think he's a meme as a result. Steve's meme status eventually gave birth to the Grotesque Steve model, and boy oh boy did that backfire on the Smash community quite badly. The lesson learned here is to not take characters with legitimate chances as meme picks unless you want a repeat of Grotesque Steve.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
There was also the thing of Minecraft coming to Nintendo and being very close with them. Nintendo support makes people change their opinions.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also also, Microsoft aggressively marketing Minecraft to kids (after the acquisition of Mojang) once it got mainstream success, which mostly turned off the core fans that were into it when it was still indie, and gave the IP the stigma of being a "kiddie" property akin to Blue's Clues.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also also, Microsoft aggressively marketing Minecraft to kids (after the acquisition of Mojang) once it got mainstream success, which mostly turned off the core fans that were into it when it was still indie, and gave the IP the stigma of being a "kiddie" property akin to Blue's Clues.
Yeah that was very stupid; it's a family-friendly game, not strictly kid-friendly; it's for all ages. At least Mojang still understands their fanbase is made up of more than just small children; seriously the way some Minecon Earth people talked, and one of the YTers who voiced the second Minecon Earth trailer, they all spoke as if everyone in the crowd/who were watching were little, as if little kids need that kinda voice to understand in the first place; they could've spoke normally and let the parents help their kids understand anything they may have missed.

Tbh I didn't notice it at first but some other people did, and I realized how the people's voices just sounded kinda demeaning, like they were talking down to everyone; I guess they could've just been bad actors, though, since it was very cheesy, and the XBox Event at the end of last year seemed cheesy too. The new Minecon Live trailer seems to do a better job, being enjoyable for everyone in the family, but maybe that's just me. It seems better otherwise, too, but idk.

I also remember the first Minecon Earth's mob vote, and how it just seemed dumb; the Phantom mob we got out of it was cool and I like it, though I personally voted for the new ocean monster which made it to round 3 I believe before being beaten by the undead, flying manta ray. The guy they put in charge to go over it in the show acknowledged people's complaints about "why not just add all mobs, maybe in different updates?" by saying "somebody will probably just mod them in anyway" as if mods are better than the mob actually being in the game itself (and I'm not sure if anyone actually made mods for them, or all of them at least, but maybe...); and yes, he said this in the show itself.

They also played out the vote stuff by being flooded in votes, paper everywhere, so it gave you the feeling of foreshadowing, as if they scripted it to where each mob would win anyway since they couldn't count the votes; but nope, their script ended in somehow being able to tally the votes, and still only one mob got in, the others to never get in or be revisited. Thankfully Mojang took people's criticism when making the next Minecon's biome vote, having each biome's new stuff to be added in future updates based on what place they got instead of only one biome to get new content, ever. I think Jens was also kinda disappointed in the mob vote, his personal favorite being Mob C, the one that looked similar to Trapinch and was like a little ant-lion dinosaur thing (funnily enough, while most people saw it as a small dino, Jens confirmed it would've been around 3x3 blocks in size).

edit: Forgot to mention: they made it so all the votes being taken were on Twitter polls, so that was kinda weird too.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I hope that steve still places in the top 10 in smash ballots of fan demand somewhat consistently over the years

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
To be fair this also applies to nintendo fans during the wii u era

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh a lot of Nintendo's stuff is marketed to the whole family and not just kids although Pokemon tends to be treated as a "kiddie" franchise as well as some of Nintendo's 1st-party properties, and Minecraft is for all-ages as well, so I just find this to be a dumb reason.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I definitely wouldn't mind a Minecraft stage. If Steve's moveset is landscaping, I'm intrigued.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I definitely wouldn't mind a Minecraft stage. If Steve's moveset is landscaping, I'm intrigued.
Sky's the limit to a potential Minecraft stage. Even then the sky isn't the limit!

Landscaping is something that I do see potential in.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd be stunned if they didn't include some sort of building/landscaping gimmick to the character. Sakurai is all for those wacky abilities only a specific character can do and I don't see anyone else really associated with the building aspect as Steve/Minecraft would.

Top Bottom