• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I could understand the avoidance of a Mii costume, but why wouldn't he at least add Spirits? Or maybe a stage? Like, there's no denying a Minecraft stage is a strong representation of a lot of the series is about. Though this is a good one to have an Assist Trophy too(Creeper probably?).
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft summed everything up pretty well. To recap, using how Joker was handled as an example, it looks like all content (excluding Mii costumes) that comes with the DLC pack is exclusive to that particular series. The stage will be from the home game the playable character comes from, and nothing has indicated that stages are coming separately. Spirits have been sprinkled in here and there, but they seem to be only about 1-3 or so each time and only from Nintendo-owned properties, so even getting Minecraft spirits without a fighter doesn't look likely (not impossible, but nothing has pointed in the direction of them doing that so far).

each DLC spirit has 10 spirit battles (excluding fighter spirits) so basically i can just make a whole list like:

View attachment 225398

- Opponent prefers certain moves (any explosive move basically)
- Opponent only attacks when close
View attachment 225400 View attachment 225400 View attachment 225411 View attachment 225412

- Defeat an army of fighters (Zombie, Baby Zombie aka Tiny Incineroar, Husk, and Drowned)
- The enemy is easily distracted by items
- Certain items will spawn (Back Shield / Sword Weapons, references how zombies can pick up weapons and wear armor)
View attachment 225401 View attachment 225402

- Defeat the main fighter to win
- Opponent prefer special moves (arrow spam gang)

Diddy Kong is a spider reference since skeletons can ride them.
View attachment 225416

- Timed Battle
- Certain items will appear (Black Hole)
- Items gravitate toward the opponent
- The opponent is distracted by items
View attachment 225405

- The enemy loves to jump
- Opponent prefers special moves (Fireball)
- The floor is lava
- The enemy breathes fire after a little while
View attachment 225418 View attachment 225419

- Defeat the main fighter
- Reinforcements will appear
- You cannot last long in water

And basically the superbosses:
View attachment 225420

View attachment 225425 View attachment 225424 View attachment 225422 View attachment 225426View attachment 225421

- Team battle
- Your teammate tends to avoid conflict
- Opponents will try to attack your teammate
- You lose if your teammate is KO'd
- Reinforcements will appear during battle

This is all the types of illagers: Pillager, Ravager, Vindicator, Evoker, and for the hell of it I threw a Witch in there.

This sounds super hard on its own but the idea is to have it go like a raid system where one or two come in at a time. Basically I want it go to like:

- Pillager and Ravager
- Evoker and Vindicator
- Witch
View attachment 225410

- Stamina battle
- The opponent prefers special moves
- The opponent has increased defense / shield
- The floor is poison
- You take serious damage after a little while
View attachment 225408 View attachment 225416

- Reinforcements will appear during battle
- Stamina battle
- The enemy is giant
- The enemy will heal over time
- The enemy will suddenly have a final smash

i spent like a whole goddamn hour typing this god i have to work early tomorrow why did i do this
These are pretty good. Nice work.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft summed everything up pretty well. To recap, using how Joker was handled as an example, it looks like all content (excluding Mii costumes) that comes with the DLC pack is exclusive to that particular series. The stage will be from the home game the playable character comes from, and nothing has indicated that stages are coming separately. Spirits have been sprinkled in here and there, but they seem to be only about 1-3 or so each time and only from Nintendo-owned properties, so even getting Minecraft spirits without a fighter doesn't look likely (not impossible, but nothing has pointed in the direction of them doing that so far).
Joker isn't a perfect example of how Spirits will work. We had no idea those Spirits were coming. It's only a guess it could be similar. There's also the factor that Sega already had multiple games represented in the series. Microsoft is just getting its foot in the door. There's a highly strong chance it'll be milked for what its worth.

Plus, why would Sakurai ignore Minecraft? It's literally the top selling game in the world now, but also was among the top selling franchises well beforehand. It's the most powerful IP Microsoft has. He definitely likes the series. It takes almost nothing to ask for it. Halo is in the same ballpark. It'd be like going to Sega for Joker(as the first character), but not requesting content from the Sonic series(even if Sonic wasn't going to be playable). It's highly unlikely they'd ignore Minecraft(and probably Halo as well).

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Joker isn't a perfect example of how Spirits will work. We had no idea those Spirits were coming. It's only a guess it could be similar. There's also the factor that Sega already had multiple games represented in the series. Microsoft is just getting its foot in the door. There's a highly strong chance it'll be milked for what its worth.

Plus, why would Sakurai ignore Minecraft? It's literally the top selling game in the world now, but also was among the top selling franchises well beforehand. It's the most powerful IP Microsoft has. He definitely likes the series. It takes almost nothing to ask for it. Halo is in the same ballpark. It'd be like going to Sega for Joker(as the first character), but not requesting content from the Sonic series(even if Sonic wasn't going to be playable). It's highly unlikely they'd ignore Minecraft(and probably Halo as well).
For the first question, I'm only going off what we have so far. It is still very early so it could not be the norm, but so far I just haven't seen anything to point against it yet.

For the second question, in my personal opinion, I really don't believe Sakurai will ignore Minecraft and he'll give it the whole shebang with a playable fighter (Steve and/or Alex) and stage with music and spirits. We know he respects and likes it, so I can't see him settling for less.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the first question, I'm only going off what we have so far. It is still very early so it could not be the norm, but so far I just haven't seen anything to point against it yet.
A one-time thing is not a good idea to cling to. It's how we got burned when Ken became the most unique echo of all time. We thought we had actual rules beyond "same proportions", but that was right.

Patterns aren't a good idea to cling to. Remember when every game had at least 2 new Pokemon? That got changed entirely. The closest to a pattern in this context is that a new Pokemon per game is very easy to expect.

For the second question, in my personal opinion, I really don't believe Sakurai will ignore Minecraft and he'll give it the whole shebang with a playable fighter (Steve and/or Alex) and stage with music and spirits. We know he respects and likes it, so I can't see him settling for less.
That seems kind of silly to not settle for less. If he chooses someone else playable, he would still want Minecraft, an immense gaming franchise, in. Just like he'd want to have Steve, a major gaming icon, show up. There's no reason to have a perfectionist thing here. If he doesn't see a way to make Steve work in gameplay, he'd still want him to show up anyway. The only actual reason we wouldn't get Minecraft content while having another playable character that seems remotely realistic(besides Nintendo not liking the idea) is Microsoft overcharges them, which considering how big of a series it is... could happen.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
A one-time thing is not a good idea to cling to. It's how we got burned when Ken became the most unique echo of all time. We thought we had actual rules beyond "same proportions", but that was right.

Patterns aren't a good idea to cling to. Remember when every game had at least 2 new Pokemon? That got changed entirely. The closest to a pattern in this context is that a new Pokemon per game is very easy to expect.

That seems kind of silly to not settle for less. If he chooses someone else playable, he would still want Minecraft, an immense gaming franchise, in. Just like he'd want to have Steve, a major gaming icon, show up. There's no reason to have a perfectionist thing here. If he doesn't see a way to make Steve work in gameplay, he'd still want him to show up anyway. The only actual reason we wouldn't get Minecraft content while having another playable character that seems remotely realistic(besides Nintendo not liking the idea) is Microsoft overcharges them, which considering how big of a series it is... could happen.
I see your points and it makes sense to me.

On the patterns, Sakurai is one to change directions without a moment's notice. But completely ignoring them and going with any idea, especially those without any sort of evidence to indicate it, is just as dangerous. I'm in no way married to any concepts shared, but I try to keep expectations grounded so that if he should, and often does, exceed them, then the surprise is much more enjoyable for me.

The only thing I could see holding Sakurai back on making Steve playable, outside of his own or Nintendo's desire to do so, would be getting him to work in the game's current framework. In that case, I could see him giving the series something else other than a fighter, but I do have faith that Sakurai and his team could pull the playable character off well, and there is plenty to pull from to bring an playstyle unlike any other.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I see your points and it makes sense to me.

On the patterns, Sakurai is one to change directions without a moment's notice. But completely ignoring them and going with any idea, especially those without any sort of evidence to indicate it, is just as dangerous. I'm in no way married to any concepts shared, but I try to keep expectations grounded so that if he should, and often does, exceed them, then the surprise is much more enjoyable for me.

The only thing I could see holding Sakurai back on making Steve playable, outside of his own or Nintendo's desire to do so, would be getting him to work in the game's current framework. In that case, I could see him giving the series something else other than a fighter, but I do have faith that Sakurai and his team could pull the playable character off well, and there is plenty to pull from to bring an playstyle unlike any other.
Oh, he definitely could work as playable. But he has competition, and things like fan demand can also be relevant.

Just like I don't think "it'll sell the best" is a perfect argument, I don't consider fan demand the be-end-all of it. Though Steve definitely has fan demand on his own merits. I will say though, there's a fair chance Banjo-Kazooie has more overall?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, why is Steve hated ?
because

1. looks ugly
2. isn't [other character]
3. minecraft is full of little kids and those are bad for this E10+ game
4. generic avatar character
5. would be better as a stage or something

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
because

1. looks ugly
2. isn't [other character]
3. minecraft is full of little kids and those are bad for this E10+ game
4. generic avatar character
5. would be better as a stage or something
I mean people having these as opinions is okay but when people bash his fans or try to use these as "reasons why Steve 'definitely won't get in' so shut up about him!" it sure is annoying.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
What are your thoughts on the resetera fiasco and sabi leak

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What are your thoughts on the resetera fiasco and sabi leak
I’m on team “fake until proven real”.

Not gonna lie, I want to see Banjo in Smash (they are my 2nd most wanted), but I was Grinch’d so I’m goin in skeptical.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Verge is 99% confident on banjo
you thoughts?
I think we may not be seeing Steve this game.

However, if we get Steve at E3 and not just Banjo-Kazooie, or even over B-K tbh as much as I love them (them and Steve are on an equal level for me), I'd be ecstatic; confused and disappointed in B-K not getting in if he gets in over them, but still ecstatic, and so ecstatic to the point of my family wanting me to shut up over how hyped I am if we get both (if that doesn't happen anyway with either alone).

I'm also curious with Vergeben's claim that there'd be Minecraft content; it's possible his source got word of negotiations or something last year. Perhaps Aubrey and the Rad guy (new Mojang employee) were acting weird and vague because there is still Minecraft stuff that's gonna be in Smash?

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I think we may not be seeing Steve this game.

However, if we get Steve at E3 and not just Banjo-Kazooie, or even over B-K tbh as much as I love them (them and Steve are on an equal level for me), I'd be ecstatic; confused and disappointed in B-K not getting in if he gets in over them, but still ecstatic, and so ecstatic to the point of my family wanting me to shut up over how hyped I am if we get both (if that doesn't happen anyway with either alone).

I'm also curious with Vergeben's claim that there'd be Minecraft content; it's possible his source got word of negotiations or something last year. Perhaps Aubrey and the Rad guy (new Mojang employee) were acting weird and vague because there is still Minecraft stuff that's gonna be in Smash?
Yeah but i didnt just want minecraft content i want steve too:(

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah but i didnt just want minecraft content i want steve too:(
yeah it sucks; I can imagine Steve being very fun to play with the different stuff from Minecraft and being able to move around as his blocky self in Smash.

If he doesn't get in this game, I hope there will be another Smash game he could get in in.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Verge is 99% confident on banjo
you thoughts?
Verge has been shaky ever since DLC started. But it's not just him alone, a lot of other stuff is pointing towards Banjo's inclusion. If Banjo gets in then good for Banjo fans I guess, I'm not interested in Banjo but hey at least he will make others happy.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Atlas this isnt going to make me to stop supporting steve

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I also dont want this thread die out like the master chief thread

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well, worst case scenario is that the "leak" turns out to be true and Steve either is a later DLC (remember, there are two characters left) or waits for Smash 6. I personally have nothing against Banjo but he's a bit boring to me (not that a creative and fun playstyle can't remedy). I got my top picks in the base game, so if DLC is somebody else's dream, then good for them. Hopefully the last two picks will make the pass worth the purchase, at least Joker is fun.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Well, worst case scenario is that the "leak" turns out to be true and Steve either is a later DLC (remember, there are two characters left) or waits for Smash 6. I personally have nothing against Banjo but he's a bit boring to me (not that a creative and fun playstyle can't remedy). I got my top picks in the base game, so if DLC is somebody else's dream, then good for them. Hopefully the last two picks will make the pass worth the purchase, at least Joker is fun.
It just makes kinda worried because a lot people are saying that the minecraft content is only a stage or a mii costume for some reason

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It just makes kinda worried because a lot people are saying that the minecraft content is only a stage or a mii costume for some reason
Well, nothing is confirmed yet, so for all we know, it could just be all made up. If real, it's absolutely disappointing, but I'm not counting Steve out for this game until the very last character has been revealed. If him making it in this game isn't to be, he's still a strong candidate for the next Smash game so it really isn't ever over. Minecraft is a massive series and the face of a generation of gaming (with said generation coming of age as we speak) so you know it's only a matter of time. Worst case scenario, we can be happy for Banjo's fans and hope that our wait for Steve wont nearly be as long as they had to wait.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it could be a Stevely day tomorrow.
Or then again- it could happen as the last character.
Being the character from the highest selling game of all time- well it has perks.

I'm still team #angrybirds

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
aubrey norris just said on twitter
"Minecraft steve is",like is it hint or is it a deconfirmation,im not really sure

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I doubt it's only gonna be a stage. Each DLC pack comes with 1 character and 1 stage. They're not going to add Banjo and package him with a Minecraft stage. There's no precedent for that and it makes no sense. I can't see him being a Mii costume either, because Mii movement would clash hard with a Minecraft character model. If Vergeben is right about Minecraft content being in the game, then Steve is in the game IMO.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it's only gonna be a stage. Each DLC pack comes with 1 character and 1 stage. They're not going to add Banjo and package him with a Minecraft stage. There's no precedent for that and it makes no sense. I can't see him being a Mii costume either, because Mii movement would clash hard with a Minecraft character model. If Vergeben is right about Minecraft content being in the game, then Steve is in the game IMO.
I hope your correct
We'll see in the e3 direct

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As much as my hype for any newcomer gets announced and its been dampered due to how much Steve has been discussed. I wish you all luck in him making the cut never the less.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Nintendo likes to use multiple characters from the same company (Konami has 3, Capcom has 3, Sega has 3, Square has 2), so I still have hope for Steve now that Microsoft is on board.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Maybe we'll get a Minecraft stage at least.

Now that Banjo-Kazooie is in, Steve has taken my #1 most-wanted spot alone (Well there's the Creeper as well but eh). There are other characters I want or would love, of course, but Steve is the most important one to me. I hope we get him next game if they don't just nab two Microsoft characters for this game somehow.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hey yall, the dream isn't dead for us. In fact, this helps us since Microsoft is on board. Let's not get upset, and instead, congratulate those Banjo fans who worked so hard to get him in.

Remember, Minecraft content is still in somehow.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I don't expect two fighters from the same company. Sure we might get a mii costume of Steve or something, but as far as fighters go I think this is it until the next game.

Top Bottom