• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There’s something your all forgetting

Vergeben streak is dead and lost creditablity

He said we would see the square rep first and we got joker imstead

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There’s something your all forgetting

Vergeben streak is dead and lost creditablity

He said we would see the square rep first and we got joker imstead
He said that the Minecraft representation would be a boss...

So even if he's wrong, Steve is very well still on the table...

Please, no need to troll here. We've already received quite enough of it...
You don't see us Steve supporters going in the Banjo support thread to hate on him, do you?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He said that the Minecraft representation would be a boss...

So even if he's wrong, Steve is very well still on the table...

Please, no need to troll here. We've already received quite enough of it...
You don't see us Steve supporters going in the Banjo support thread to hate on him, do you?
No trolling I’m just making sure you all remembered that

But how is Steve more likely is the Vergeben thing the whole reason this all started?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
No trolling I’m just making sure you all remembered that

But how is Steve more likely is the Vergeben thing the whole reason this all started?
Not really at all. While any character will get a boost in support from a leak or hoax (best example being Mach Rider where everyone came out to support him during at then end of October to completely drop him after the Grinch hoax was confirmed false), you are forgetting how massive Minecraft is in gaming.

Completely disregarding all "leaks," there is a lot going for Steve.

First up is just how successful the game is, second only to Tetris, which means it has a huge reach for potential sales and hype with the gigantic audience it has had over the last decade. It's still going on strong today, dominating the Switch's Japanese purchases just this summer. While older gamers may scoff at it, there's no denying that DLC would sell like hot cakes with the younger, ie primary Nintendo demographic, audience. One could argue that Fortnite would be more popular with that crowd these days, but it's still pretty new and unproven whether or not it's just the next fidget spinner where as Minecraft has proven it does stand the test of time.

Then you have the fact that Nintendo and Sakurai himself have gone on record to speak highly of it. Miyamoto himself has stated that it was able to pull off something he tried and could not do. Sakurai spoke about how he enjoyed replaying through the game and how smart the build up/reward focus of the game is. There's very very few non-Nintendo games out there that gets those kinds of comments from these guys.

Then you have the whole promotion aspect. Again, it is one of the few non-Nintendo properties that Nintendo has theme a console over (ie the Creeper 3DS). Nintendo has entrust Mojang with the Mario IP, something they don't do too often, to create exclusive Mario content including characters, SFX, Music and textures which adds up to quite a bit of content, especially for an indie/competitor's IP. Earlier this year, you also have Nintendo flat out co-advertising the game with a direct competitor to promote the cross-play feature of the game; going as far as to show a competing console in a positive light in an official ad. In addition, they also acted openly friendly with their competitor over this specific game. Again, something extremely unheard of for the company that shows how much they value the IP. With Nintendo directly making the picks this time, you can't deny that the company has noticeable interest in the property that could translate to Smash content.

Finally, you have what Steve can do as a fighter that no other character could do. From an aesthetic point, the series is visually distinct and recognizable, there would be no way any other character or series would pull it off without being compared to Minecraft and while Steve, himself, isn't exactly a household name, most gamers are aware of his design and could pick him out of a lineup of characters. On the gameplay front, the focus on collecting resources to use later to either create and/or tools/items, or even build structures (aka the Mining and Crafting that gives the game its name) is what Sakurai himself praised the game over, and would undoubtedly be part of his moveset. No other fighter would be able to focus on specifically collecting materials through a dedicated mining action or possibly through normal fighting (hitting a character or object would yield specific materials that could be used in various "blueprints"). The with using his other Special Moves, he could put those resources to giving him better tools for more damage/speed/knockback/etc or, more dynamically, making structures such as platforms or walls that would temporarily alter the playingfield, something we have yet to see in a fighter. If that isn't something to get a character on Sakurai's radar, I don't know what is.

Now of course, anyone claiming he is a lock is just making things up and we don't know for sure who Nintendo picked. But you can't say that he doesn't have a strong chance of making it on his and his game's merit, regardless of who makes what claim on the internet.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If we get a Microsoft rep, I have a strong feeling it will be either Master Chief or Steve. Steve would be the far likelier pick since Sakurai likes Minecraft, just as he likes Persona 5. As for Banjo-Kazooie, I don't think they're getting in. Does Nintendo even care about them? I don't think they ever even acknowledged their 20th anniversary. Plus, Banjo-Kazooie are dead. They couldn't promote anything. Steve is definitely the most logical choice at this point.
I think it's either Steve or B-K.

While Banjo-Kazooie's series is dead, Microsoft & Rare at least released new merchandise for them this year, and Rare still puts B-K references in their games (well, there was one in Sea of Thieves at least), plus they still keep B-K stuff around their office building. Steve Mayles (and I assume his brother as well) has also been silent about Smash-related stuff when asked, so either it could be a case similar to what was going on with Shantae (except not as a Spirit) or, of course, he's just ignoring questions.

While Nintendo may not care about them now, they at least seemed to highly value them back when they still owned them, putting the bear & bird alongside their biggest mascots on an official N64 box or promo-thing or something (also there was some Nintendo thing with plush toys, but I forgot what it was, just saw it in the B-K thread one time).

Steve, however, does seem more-likely, and I would love his (or a Creeper's) inclusion probably as much as B-K's, although no B-K would feel disappointing imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Me too

He would make an far more unique character than rob and g&w because he has stuff no other fighter can do

And when he gets in I will download mc on the switch to celebrate

Max Wasson

Smash Rookie
Here to show my support for Minecraft Steve been supporting him since those Vergeben leaks mentioning "Minecraft content".

D

Deleted member

NEWS FLASH!

There is a Japanese leaker that goes by the name 5channel saying that Steve is in and here’s what he said translated:

Steve

Stage is New World

Every other alt features female character “Alex”

The Ender Dragon is a stage boss, and can be turned off with the hazard toggle

Achieved to even further promote Minecraft on Nintendo Switch and strengthen bonds between Nintendo and Microsoft

Banjo Kazooie is a Mii Fighter costume

From the looks of it it seems Alex is coming as well as part of Steve’s alts like olimar and alph

As for the leakers credibility.....the reason Joker was in was because Atlus was working on some Persona 5 stuff to bring over to Nintendo. one of which is a fighting game, but he said the fighting game got pushed back due to ArcSys working on Granblue Fantasy Versus And granblue fantasy versus just got announced.
No this dose not mean gra blue is coming to smash

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
NEWS FLASH!

There is a Japanese leaker that goes by the name 5channel saying that Steve is in and here’s what he said translated:

Steve

Stage is New World

Achieved to even further promote Minecraft on Nintendo Switch and strengthen bonds between Nintendo and Microsoft

From the looks of it it seems Alex is coming as well as part of Steve’s alts like olimar and alph

As for the leakers credibility.....the reason Joker was in was because Atlus was working on some Persona 5 stuff to bring over to Nintendo. one of which is a fighting game, but he said the fighting game got pushed back due to ArcSys working on Granblue Fantasy Versus And granblue fantasy versus just got announced.
Any source?

This seems plausible, but Hitagi has apparently mentioned the Granblue game as well, idk if before or after; would be disappointed in B-K only being a mii costume but it's better than nothing I guess...

The stage's name being "New World" is a big win.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
NEWS FLASH!

Steve

Stage is New World

As much as I want to beleive it, I'm gonna take almost every leak with a grain of salt.
But just in case, I'll put it at the back of my mind.

EDIT: Wait... Are you pulling my leg?
I think we have enough characters with bury. Just put genos in we don't need steve.
Honestly, despite his use of a shovel, I don't Steve would even have bury.
If we're being real, I think Steve has a lot more moveset potential than geno does

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as I want to beleive it, I'm gonna take almost every leak with a grain of salt.
Actually this guy also leaked Erdrick who is the se rep and so did verge hitagi and xenother they said he was coming too so give this guy a chance he’ll come

If we're being real, I think Steve has a lot more moveset potential than geno does

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think we have enough characters with bury. Just put genos in we don't need steve.
Since you put it that way, I say leave Geno out, we have enough arm cannon characters. But seriously, if you want to support your character, that's fine, but do it in that character's thread instead.

EDIT: Wait... Are you pulling my leg?

Honestly, despite his use of a shovel, I don't Steve would even have bury.
To be honest, Steve has the chance to be more unique than about 90% of potential fighters.

Max Wasson

Smash Rookie
Banjo and Kazooie being a Mii Costume would be the biggest troll since the Grinch leak being fake and Geno being revealed as a Mii Costume for Smash 4's DLC.

D

Deleted member

Banjo and Kazooie being a Mii Costume would be the biggest troll since the Grinch leak being fake and Geno being revealed as a Mii Costume for Smash 4's DLC.
What I think is that they weren’t on the list so sakurai had to include them in somehow you know

Ryanthemememan

Smash Rookie
NEWS FLASH!

Steve

Stage is New World

Can we have link to the source?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Steve is one of those characters that I actually would enjoy seeing in Smash. The only problem is music. The only song I want to see is this one:

Real question. Can I become a supporter?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Minecraft has a ****ing stellar soundtrack, but it's not really something you battle to. While I love listening to it outside of the game, in game I usually turn it off because it ends up being white noise. I wonder if Steve will come with other series songs to make up for this?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Minecraft has a ****ing stellar soundtrack, but it's not really something you battle to. While I love listening to it outside of the game, in game I usually turn it off because it ends up being white noise. I wonder if Steve will come with other series songs to make up for this?
I'd honestly say the same thing about Animal Crossing music, where it's not something you would battle to at all. But somehow, Sakurai and his team still made it work.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd honestly say the same thing about Animal Crossing music, where it's not something you would battle to at all. But somehow, Sakurai and his team still made it work.
I agree, there's so many songs from games which would make no sense playing during a fight, yet we have tunes from AC, Wii Sports, Tomodachi Life, Pikmin, Rhythm Haven, Brain Age, and more. With a little bit of tweaks, Minecraft music shouldn't be hard to fit into Smash.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I agree, there's so many songs from games which would make no sense playing during a fight, yet we have tunes from AC, Wii Sports, Tomodachi Life, Pikmin, Rhythm Haven, Brain Age, and more. With a little bit of tweaks, Minecraft music shouldn't be hard to fit into Smash.
RIght, and I'm sure there are tracks already in Minecraft that have that kind of battle/fighting vibe to it. I haven't kept up with the game in years, but regardless music shouldn't be a problem.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I figured I'd post this here before I post it on the General Thread. Enjoy.

The Case for Minecraft Steve and the "Smash Bubble" effect

Hello, and welcome to the fourth in a series of speculation posts written by your's truly. In this post I will be arguing about why Steve from Minecraft is likelier than many think, and why people are so quick to underestimate his chances. Lets jump into it:
  • Per the usual, this is nothing more than speculation. I know nothing more than anyone reading this, and I am not an absolute authority nor will I ever claim to be one. I'm simply a fan with a good mind for speculation who enjoys putting it to use.
    • As part of this, this is only speculation. I will not be addressing leaks of any sort. While I'll admit the serious idea of Steve was brought to me via leaks, I will be arguing for his likelihood outside of leaks.
  • I'll also acknowledge my own bias towards Minecraft. Yes, I like Minecraft. Get your laughs out now if you have any. That being said, I have no personal stake in a potential Microsoft representative, and I believe that any of the three speculated choices (Steve, Banjo & Kazooie, and Master Chief) are amazing choices. I simply believe that the former of the three is more likely.
One of the most prominent arguments against Steve is that he's not a popular choice among fans, with speculators citing fan poll after fan poll to prove this. One GameFAQs user even said of polls like this,
There doesn't need to be a dozen debates about who's popular and who isn't when we have tons of objective data. Popularity isn't an opinion.
Oh GameFAQs how you never cease to amuse me.

All of these polls fall into the same trap of being contained within the "Smash Bubble" as myself and others have coined it. What exactly is the "Smash Bubble" though? If I had to define it, I would as such:
Smash Bubble
noun
The portion of the Super Smash Brothers fandom contained to websites such as Smashboards, GameFAQs, Reddit, 4chan, and other focused websites
While the contribution of these focused fans isn't to be ignored, as evidenced by K. Rool's immense Ballot presence in part due to the Kutthroat's Ballot Campaign and Sakurai's statements on Ridley and Geno, a flaw of the fanbase at large is a general insistence that those within the Smash Bubble are the only Smash Bros. fans and that by not catering to them specifically, Nintendo is making a mistake. This sentiment completely ignores other fanbases outside of the core fanbase which gave us picks such as Isabelle and Simon Belmont.

"But tehponycorn" you say, "Simon was a popular pick! Sakurai even said so himself!" Take a look at the many fan polls listed above and tell me how many Simon prominently appears on. The answer is 3. While 3/12 may seem like modest popularity, his votes total less than 1,000, and he's listed among many other, more popular third party characters. That hardly lines up with Sakurai's statement of Castlevania being "popular in player polls." So, there's a disconnect between what fan polls show and actual popularity? Why is this?

I propose an explanation in two parts:

First, all fan polls by nature fall prey to Voluntary Response Bias, defined as:
In survey sampling, voluntary response bias occurs when sample members are self-selected volunteers, as in voluntary samples. The resulting sample tends to overrepresent individuals who have strong opinions.
Every Smash fan poll cited majorly falls within the Smash Bubble because those within the Smash Bubble are most inclined to vote on polls like these. Granted, even the official Smash Ballot itself falls prey to this, and indeed those within the Smash Bubble would be much more inclined to vote in an official poll like this, but any bias within it is made up for by the Law of Large Numbers, defined as:
The law of large numbers, in probability and statistics, states that as a sample size grows, its mean gets closer to the average of the whole population.
The official nature of the poll and the advertising conducted for it extended the reach of the poll to even casual fans, which is why it's so important to establish this disconnect. The largest, most recent Smash fan poll as of right now is the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, with over 50,000 votes. In comparison, the Smash Ballot collected 1.8 million votes (360 times more votes), making it much closer to the wants of the entire Smash Bros. fanbase, hence why picks like Simon Belmont can float by the core fanbase largely undetected.

Second, there exists a strong, silent majority of fans outside of the core fanbase that has sway in character picks. People tend to forget that Nintendo tries to market Smash Bros. for everyone, or at the very least, the largest amount of people possible. It doesn't matter if you're a child whose mom bought him a Switch for Christmas or someone who's been with them since the NES, so long as you're a fan of Nintendo you might as well be considered a part of the Smash Bros. fanbase. Naturally, the wider Nintendo fanbase is largely varied, and outside of the Smash Bubble exists many different demographics with different character desires. This is how we end up with picks like Isabelle, who caters to the larger, more casual fanbase who see Isabelle often.

Returning to the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, you'll notice that Sora and Phoenix Wright scored better than they typically do in other fan polls, taking 5th and 8th place respectively, and garnering a total 20,883 votes, equal to around 40% of votes in the final round. This is impressive for two characters usually overlooked within the Smash Bubble in favor of other, more popular speculation picks. The poll includes this interesting fact about them:
The characters with the most brigaders were Sora (more than half his voters came from non-reddit referrers) and Phoenix Wright (a third of his voters came from non-reddit referrers)
If a larger reddit fan poll was able to attract people outside of Reddit's r/SmashBros, then a poll as massive as the official Ballot would be able to attract people from all over, giving a skew towards the silent majority, as anyone could vote on it, even people outside of the regular Nintendo or Smash Bros. fanbase.

To make a long story short, there is a silent presence outside of the Smash Bubble. It is large and it is more powerful than many think. While our Smash Bubble is a prominent part of the fanbase, Nintendo has a much wider fanbase to appeal to as well, and the Smash Bubble isn't indicative of Smash Bros. fans in general.
Nintendo and Microsoft are closer than ever before as evidenced by both's positive stance towards Cross-Play through titles like Minecraft and Fortnite among others.
While I have previously argued that Tweets from Nintendo of America mean little in the grand scheme as Nintendo of Japan is the one ultimately calling the shots, the most important thing here is Xbox's side and the interaction itself. From Xbox's side this is as official as it gets, and is evidence of a much wider business relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo that's been developing over the years. Phil Spencer has been very transparent about this as well, going on record in 2016 and 2018 to describe the positive relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft, to the point where he went to lunch with people from Nintendo during E3. Either that's pretense for negotiations, or Phil Spencer is legitimately close enough with Nintendo to get lunch with them casually.

Additionally, Phil Spencer (bless him for being so open) has been similarly transparent in his (and by association, Xbox's) willingness to get Banjo & Kazooie, another Microsoft character, into Smash Bros. in 2015 and 2018. While this is about another Microsoft character, it's not unreasonable to believe that similar sentiments would be extended to other Microsoft characters, Steve being included.

Nintendo and Microsoft have a good business relationship, and as far as we know the doors are open at Microsoft, so all Nintendo has to do is come to them for negotiations. The ability to bring in a Microsoft character would likely garner a reaction similar to when Sonic was revealed for Brawl, as both characters would be from competing console makers. The three main choices for a Microsoft character, being Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Master Chief, each carry their own merits and would be smart picks for DLC from a business and fan pleasing standpoint.
It's Minecraft. 'Nuff said.

Being serious, My reasoning as to why Steve is more likely than the other two prominent Microsoft characters is simple: Minecraft is overwhelmingly popular Minecraft is the second best selling game of all time, selling 154 million copies and over the summer of 2018 had 91 million active players, which is more than what Fortnite had in September of the same year. Minecraft is also incredibly popular in Japan, topping the charts multiple times and selling over a million copies on the Playstation Vita, a fact that should really speak for itself. For a game that has legitimately been around for almost 10 years, Minecraft has withstood the test of time and proved itself to be a cornerstone of gaming culture as a whole (there's an entire section on Minecraft's cultural impact on its Wikipedia page). For one, Minecraft is a prominent example of indie gaming, originally being developed by one person on his own and gradually becoming bigger as its popularity increased. I would even say that Minecraft could arguably be considered the indie game, and at the very least shaped the basic structure of indie games releasing in beta versions and gradually becoming more complete since it was the first game to prominently do so.

The widespread appeal of Minecraft can't be understated. There's endless Minecraft merchandise including that of popular Minecraft Youtubers (imagine getting toys made after you for playing a video game). Minecraft is even used for education for some reason and it works, which is hard for edutainment games. The game's also received two prominent spin-offs, Minecraft Story Mode, made by TellTale Games at their peak, and Minecraft Dungeons, which is indicative of the series' wider popularity. Minecraft is also one of many prominent series to have it's own fan convention, MineCon, which regularly attracts thousands of fans and garners hundreds of thousands of millions of views online. I also can't fail to mention the many clones of Minecraft or unofficial merchandise that attempt to cash in on the popularity of the original game. Some of these get modest success, such as the Minecraft clones made for Wii U before the official release came out.

"But tehponycorn" you say "Steve isn't a popular character!"

One, refer to "What is the Smash Bubble?" as to why that argument isn't as valid as you think it is Two, you're wrong. At a Q&A at MineCon 2018, someone asked Minecraft developers if they thought Steve would be in Smash Bros., and a Mojang PR person who happened to be part of the panel responded, saying:
We actually don't have any news on that, but we do know that there is lots of folks in the community who have actually, on the feedback site, they have put in a request for it
So, demand exists within the Minecraft community. Furthermore, Steve gained a reputation as a popular "meme" pick due to the high amount of requests for him by children on Miiverse, Nintendo's Social Media experiment platform. Returning to the idea of silent parts of the Smash fanbase existing outside of the Smash Bubble, I would say that there certainly exists a sizable group of people outside of core speculation websites that supports Steve and would voice said want given official outlets such as the Smash Ballot. It's important to consider the massive fanbase Minecraft has because by extension this means that Steve, in theory, has a massive fanbase behind his inclusion in Smash Bros. Steve is a safe bet from a business/sales standpoint as his inclusion could easily rope in sales of Switch consoles, Smash Bros., and/or DLC because Steve is in the game and there are a lot of people who would want to see him go against Mario and other iconic video game characters. There is a demand for Steve. It is underestimated by many, and that is a mistake.

What about the good old argument of "Sakurai bias?" Would Sakurai be inclined to include Steve if presented the idea of him by Nintendo or would he go out of his way to negotiate for him? I believe the answer to both of those questions is yes.

Let's take a look at the example of Joker. It's no small fact that Sakurai was a large fan of Persona 5, writing an entire article in his Famitsu column praising its UI (something that shows within the game itself as the menus are similar to Persona 5's alongside the cut-ins of a character's render whenever they perform a Final Smash similar to when characters in the game use skills or conduct an All Out Attack) and attending the Persona Super Live P-Sound Bomb!!!!! 2017 at the invitation of Atlus, which he later wrote about in another article of his column. While Sakurai has written many different columns about many different games, I believe that Sakurai's interactions with Minecraft are worth noting.

To start, he played Minecraft in a 2016 Livestream, so at the very least Minecraft is on his radar. More notable is the article he wrote about Minecraft, "The Potential of Simple Actions" wherein he says this:
Sakurai said:
Yoiko’s Minecraft Survival was an interesting show, so I decided to start playing Minecraft. I don’t usually go back to games after I’ve completed them, but when something piques my interest, it can’t be helped. Wait a second. This time I’m going to be playing on the Nintendo Switch
Sakurai plays a lot of different video games and doesn't revisit games often, so when does decide to replay a game it's important because he took time from playing a newer game to revisit an older game assumably because he likes it that much.

Additionally, Sakurai has recently appeared on Yoiko's Minecraft Survival three times for Yoiko's Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Lifestyle, a bit related to the main show (they even use little Minecraft avatars to show who's who at the beginning of the episodes). Sakurai also tweeted back and forth with the show, saying "That's cool!" in response to a clip of the second episode, and a similarly positive message that I can't translate in response to a link of the fourth episode.

Sakurai also notes Minecraft's Japanese popularity within another article, saying:
Sakurai said:
Outside of Japan, games like Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe…did not take the number one spot. Minecraft…didn’t get it either. Somehow, it was Stardew Valley!! Minecraft, which was number one in Japan, came in at number two. What the heck is going on. I can’t believe it.
I think Sakurai's surprise at that Stardew Valley taking the number one spot on the Japanese charts instead of Minecraft is another fact that speaks for itself. Yes, Minecraft is just that popular.
Steve is severely underestimated within the Smash Bubble for a wide variety of reasons, most of which are little more than excuses to bar his and Minecraft's inclusion. A positive relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft and Microsoft's willingness to work with Nintendo combined with Minecraft's overwhelming popularity, an underestimated fanbase supporting Steve, and some good old Sakurai bias could create a perfect storm that leads to Steve's inclusion. I believe that Steve is one of the most likely characters for inclusion as a DLC character; at the very least I wouldn't count him out of the running, nor would I overlook him.
This will likely be my last speculation post for a good while as I resume College classes tomorrow, and will become substantially more busy than I have been during my break. I hope you all have enjoyed these pieces as much as I enjoyed writing them, and I also hope that I was able to convince people as to why I believe in these characters so much. If I have time in the future or if a topic really piques my interest I might consider writing another, but I'll be worrying more about essays and assignments for my classes instead of essays and posts here. Don't worry though, because I'll still be around to argue and annoy all of you for the foreseeable future. Here's to more "leaks," ****posts, and speculation!

Last edited:

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I really would have preferred Banjo over Steve for a rep from Microsoft, not that I have a connection towards the character, I just feel like so many really want him at this point that it kind of feels wrong not giving them the character at this point, since he's so universally wanted by the smash community.
As with the recent leak, I grew to warm up to the idea of him being a playable character. I used play the game a lot as a kid, still do from time to time with friends when given the chance. So yeah, put me in that support list, lets go!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I figured I'd post this here before I post it on the General Thread. Enjoy.

The Case for Minecraft Steve and the "Smash Bubble" effect

Hello, and welcome to the fourth in a series of speculation posts written by your's truly. In this post I will be arguing about why Steve from Minecraft is likelier than many think, and why people are so quick to underestimate his chances. Lets jump into it:
  • Per the usual, this is nothing more than speculation. I know nothing more than anyone reading this, and I am not an absolute authority nor will I ever claim to be one. I'm simply a fan with a good mind for speculation who enjoys putting it to use.
    • As part of this, this is only speculation. I will not be addressing leaks of any sort. While I'll admit the serious idea of Steve was brought to me via leaks, I will be arguing for his likelihood outside of leaks.
  • I'll also acknowledge my own bias towards Minecraft. Yes, I like Minecraft. Get your laughs out now if you have any. That being said, I have no personal stake in a potential Microsoft representative, and I believe that any of the three speculated choices (Steve, Banjo & Kazooie, and Master Chief) are amazing choices. I simply believe that the former of the three is more likely.
One of the most prominent arguments against Steve is that he's not a popular choice among fans, with speculators citing fan poll after fan poll to prove this. One GameFAQs user even said of polls like this,

Oh GameFAQs how you never cease to amuse me.

All of these polls fall into the same trap of being contained within the "Smash Bubble" as myself and others have coined it. What exactly is the "Smash Bubble" though? If I had to define it, I would as such:

While the contribution of these focused fans isn't to be ignored, as evidenced by K. Rool's immense Ballot presence in part due to the Kutthroat's Ballot Campaign and Sakurai's statements on Ridley and Geno, a flaw of the fanbase at large is a general insistence that those within the Smash Bubble are the only Smash Bros. fans and that by not catering to them specifically, Nintendo is making a mistake. This sentiment completely ignores other fanbases outside of the core fanbase which gave us picks such as Isabelle and Simon Belmont.

"But tehponycorn" you say, "Simon was a popular pick! Sakurai even said so himself!" Take a look at the many fan polls listed above and tell me how many Simon prominently appears on. The answer is 3. While 3/12 may seem like modest popularity, his votes total less than 1,000, and he's listed among many other, more popular third party characters. That hardly lines up with Sakurai's statement of Castlevania being "popular in player polls." So, there's a disconnect between what fan polls show and actual popularity? Why is this?

I propose an explanation in two parts:

First, all fan polls by nature fall prey to Voluntary Response Bias, defined as:

Every Smash fan poll cited majorly falls within the Smash Bubble because those within the Smash Bubble are most inclined to vote on polls like these. Granted, even the official Smash Ballot itself falls prey to this, and indeed those within the Smash Bubble would be much more inclined to vote in an official poll like this, but any bias within it is made up for by the Law of Large Numbers, defined as:

The official nature of the poll and the advertising conducted for it extended the reach of the poll to even casual fans, which is why it's so important to establish this disconnect. The largest, most recent Smash fan poll as of right now is the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, with over 50,000 votes. In comparison, the Smash Ballot collected 1.8 million votes (360 times more votes), making it much closer to the wants of the entire Smash Bros. fanbase, hence why picks like Simon Belmont can float by the core fanbase largely undetected.

Second, there exists a strong, silent majority of fans outside of the core fanbase that has sway in character picks. People tend to forget that Nintendo tries to market Smash Bros. for everyone, or at the very least, the largest amount of people possible. It doesn't matter if you're a child whose mom bought him a Switch for Christmas or someone who's been with them since the NES, so long as you're a fan of Nintendo you might as well be considered a part of the Smash Bros. fanbase. Naturally, the wider Nintendo fanbase is largely varied, and outside of the Smash Bubble exists many different demographics with different character desires. This is how we end up with picks like Isabelle, who caters to the larger, more casual fanbase who see Isabelle often.

Returning to the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, you'll notice that Sora and Phoenix Wright scored better than they typically do in other fan polls, taking 5th and 8th place respectively, and garnering a total 20,883 votes, equal to around 40% of votes in the final round. This is impressive for two characters usually overlooked within the Smash Bubble in favor of other, more popular speculation picks. The poll includes this interesting fact about them:

If a larger reddit fan poll was able to attract people outside of Reddit's r/SmashBros, then a poll as massive as the official Ballot would be able to attract people from all over, giving a skew towards the silent majority, as anyone could vote on it, even people outside of the regular Nintendo or Smash Bros. fanbase.

To make a long story short, there is a silent presence outside of the Smash Bubble. It is large and it is more powerful than many think. While our Smash Bubble is a prominent part of the fanbase, Nintendo has a much wider fanbase to appeal to as well, and the Smash Bubble isn't indicative of Smash Bros. fans in general.
Nintendo and Microsoft are closer than ever before as evidenced by both's positive stance towards Cross-Play through titles like Minecraft and Fortnite among others.
While I have previously argued that Tweets from Nintendo of America mean little in the grand scheme as Nintendo of Japan is the one ultimately calling the shots, the most important thing here is Xbox's side and the interaction itself. From Xbox's side this is as official as it gets, and is evidence of a much wider business relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo that's been developing over the years. Phil Spencer has been very transparent about this as well, going on record in 2016 and 2018 to describe the positive relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft, to the point where he went to lunch with people from Nintendo during E3. Either that's pretense for negotiations, or Phil Spencer is legitimately close enough with Nintendo to get lunch with them casually.

Additionally, Phil Spencer (bless him for being so open) has been similarly transparent in his (and by association, Xbox's) willingness to get Banjo & Kazooie, another Microsoft character, into Smash Bros. in 2015 and 2018. While this is about another Microsoft character, it's not unreasonable to believe that similar sentiments would be extended to other Microsoft characters, Steve being included.

Nintendo and Microsoft have a good business relationship, and as far as we know the doors are open at Microsoft, so all Nintendo has to do is come to them for negotiations. The ability to bring in a Microsoft character would likely garner a reaction similar to when Sonic was revealed for Brawl, as both characters would be from competing console makers. The three main choices for a Microsoft character, being Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Master Chief, each carry their own merits and would be smart picks for DLC from a business and fan pleasing standpoint.
It's Minecraft. 'Nuff said.

Being serious, My reasoning as to why Steve is more likely than the other two prominent Microsoft characters is simple: Minecraft is overwhelmingly popular Minecraft is the second best selling game of all time, selling 154 million copies and over the summer of 2018 had 91 million active players, which is more than what Fortnite had in September of the same year. Minecraft is also incredibly popular in Japan, topping the charts multiple times and selling over a million copies on the Playstation Vita, a fact that should really speak for itself. For a game that has legitimately been around for almost 10 years, Minecraft has withstood the test of time and proved itself to be a cornerstone of gaming culture as a whole (there's an entire section on Minecraft's cultural impact on its Wikipedia page). For one, Minecraft is a prominent example of indie gaming, originally being developed by one person on his own and gradually becoming bigger as its popularity increased. I would even say that Minecraft could arguably be considered the indie game, and at the very least shaped the basic structure of indie games releasing in beta versions and gradually becoming more complete since it was the first game to prominently do so.

The widespread appeal of Minecraft can't be understated. There's endless Minecraft merchandise including that of popular Minecraft Youtubers (imagine getting toys made after you for playing a video game). Minecraft is even used for education for some reason and it works, which is hard for edutainment games. The game's also received two prominent spin-offs, Minecraft Story Mode, made by TellTale Games at their peak, and Minecraft Dungeons, which is indicative of the series' wider popularity. Minecraft is also one of many prominent series to have it's own fan convention, MineCon, which regularly attracts thousands of fans and garners hundreds of thousands of millions of views online. I also can't fail to mention the many clones of Minecraft or unofficial merchandise that attempt to cash in on the popularity of the original game. Some of these get modest success, such as the Minecraft clones made for Wii U before the official release came out.

"But tehponycorn" you say "Steve isn't a popular character!"

One, refer to "What is the Smash Bubble?" as to why that argument isn't as valid as you think it is Two, you're wrong. At a Q&A at MineCon 2018, someone asked Minecraft developers if they thought Steve would be in Smash Bros., and a Mojang PR person who happened to be part of the panel responded, saying:

So, demand exists within the Minecraft community. Furthermore, Steve gained a reputation as a popular "meme" pick due to the high amount of requests for him by children on Miiverse, Nintendo's Social Media experiment platform. Returning to the idea of silent parts of the Smash fanbase existing outside of the Smash Bubble, I would say that there certainly exists a sizable group of people outside of core speculation websites that supports Steve and would voice said want given official outlets such as the Smash Ballot. It's important to consider the massive fanbase Minecraft has because by extension this means that Steve, in theory, has a massive fanbase behind his inclusion in Smash Bros. Steve is a safe bet from a business/sales standpoint as his inclusion could easily rope in sales of Switch consoles, Smash Bros., and/or DLC because Steve is in the game and there are a lot of people who would want to see him go against Mario and other iconic video game characters. There is a demand for Steve. It is underestimated by many, and that is a mistake.

What about the good old argument of "Sakurai bias?" Would Sakurai be inclined to include Steve if presented the idea of him by Nintendo or would he go out of his way to negotiate for him? I believe the answer to both of those questions is yes.

Let's take a look at the example of Joker. It's no small fact that Sakurai was a large fan of Persona 5, writing an entire article in his Famitsu column praising its UI (something that shows within the game itself as the menus are similar to Persona 5's alongside the cut-ins of a character's render whenever they perform a Final Smash similar to when characters in the game use skills or conduct an All Out Attack) and attending the Persona Super Live P-Sound Bomb!!!!! 2017 at the invitation of Atlus, which he later wrote about in another article of his column. While Sakurai has written many different columns about many different games, I believe that Sakurai's interactions with Minecraft are worth noting.

To start, he played Minecraft in a 2016 Livestream, so at the very least Minecraft is on his radar. More notable is the article he wrote about Minecraft, "The Potential of Simple Actions" wherein he says this:

Sakurai plays a lot of different video games and doesn't revisit games often, so when does decide to replay a game it's important because he took time from playing a newer game to revisit an older game assumably because he likes it that much.

Additionally, Sakurai has recently appeared on Yoiko's Minecraft Survival three times for Yoiko's Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Lifestyle, a bit related to the main show (they even use little Minecraft avatars to show who's who at the beginning of the episodes). Sakurai also tweeted back and forth with the show, saying "That's cool!" in response to a clip of the second episode, and a similarly positive message that I can't translate in response to a link of the fourth episode.

Sakurai also notes Minecraft's Japanese popularity within another article, saying:

I think Sakurai's surprise at that Stardew Valley taking the number one spot on the Japanese charts instead of Minecraft is another fact that speaks for itself. Yes, Minecraft is just that popular.
Steve is severely underestimated within the Smash Bubble for a wide variety of reasons, most of which are little more than excuses to bar his and Minecraft's inclusion. A positive relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft and Microsoft's willingness to work with Nintendo combined with Minecraft's overwhelming popularity, an underestimated fanbase supporting Steve, and some good old Sakurai bias could create a perfect storm that leads to Steve's inclusion. I believe that Steve is one of the most likely characters for inclusion as a DLC character; at the very least I wouldn't count him out of the running, nor would I overlook him.
This will likely be my last speculation post for a good while as I resume College classes tomorrow, and will become substantially more busy than I have been during my break. I hope you all have enjoyed these pieces as much as I enjoyed writing them, and I also hope that I was able to convince people as to why I believe in these characters so much. If I have time in the future or if a topic really piques my interest I might consider writing another, but I'll be worrying more about essays and assignments for my classes instead of essays and posts here. Don't worry though, because I'll still be around to argue and annoy all of you for the foreseeable future. Here's to more "leaks," ****posts, and speculation!
Fantastically written and very well thought out. I whole-heartedly agree, especially with the points about the Smash Bubble.

Sites like this are only a small fraction of the gaming audience and what's popular here isn't exactly so much wit the rest of the world. When looking at a character's odds, we should really view who the public has beloved over the years over whomever is trending on social media.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll be honest, I really would have preferred Banjo over Steve for a rep from Microsoft, not that I have a connection towards the character, I just feel like so many really want him at this point that it kind of feels wrong not giving them the character at this point, since he's so universally wanted by the smash community.
As with the recent leak, I grew to warm up to the idea of him being a playable character. I used play the game a lot as a kid, still do from time to time with friends when given the chance. So yeah, put me in that support list, lets go!
While it's hard to say if the majority of people want Banjo among smash players, there's no questioning he's a popular choice.

I imagine he probably beat Steve out in votes. That said, I don't think that alone gives Banjo an edge. There's way more factors than votes alone. Sakurai said so himself, that popularity is only a part of it. There's other things to consider. Things like relevancy can matter, so can things like making a feasible moveset. It's also important to remember that Sakurai needs to see them dancing in his head. He couldn't with Villager during Brawl, but could during Smash 4. That's why somebody who didn't make it in can still get in at a later time(probably not DLC if they have another major role, but that isn't a disconfirmation so much as an educated conclusion).

For the record, I think he can see both working just fine. However, part of it is also how Nintendo feels. Another is that we know he likes Minecraft, and that he outright dismissed Banjo & Kazooie as impossible with no thought put into them. Overall, looking at all of this, Steve likely has the edge. This doesn't mean it is the case either. King K. Rool is proof that having an ideal edge from out perspective(people absolutely expected Dixie first, or even Cranky in some cases) doesn't actually become reality in many many cases. Some characters pretty easy to predict(Ken was after we saw Richter, Isabelle was very easy to see happening, though many didn't see her being unique). I could go on. But yeah, I think both have a reasonable chance. I think B&K being irrelevant might make 'em lose their edge, though. Mostly cause Nintendo still hasn't secured them on the VC, but they did secure much more Minecraft-related stuff. It implies that Microsoft is willing to use one product on other consoles way more. But again, educated guess due to the information we have.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe I never came to this thread before. I'm not the biggest Minecraft fan but I'd really like to see Steve in Smash (preferably with Alex). Please count me as one of the supporters.

D

Deleted member

How do u guy think they’ll reveal Steve like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
Ok.....Hear me out here.

Steve as shown here, wearing his classic blue shirt and pants while holding an stone pickaxe.

Who is Steve?
Do you live under a rock? Almost everyone and their MOTHER knows about Minecraft. But I guess I'll explain it anyways. Minecraft is arguably the most successful PC game ever made selling practically millions each month. Minecraft is a game where you can do more or less anything from building a complete recreation of norway, mining diamonds in a cave, or even fighting zombies and skeletons with A BLOCK OF DIRT. Minecrafts world is blocky and lego esque. There are 3 main modes, Survival (Fight monsters, die a lot, find lava, and more or less just survive), Creative mode (Do as you please, and build whatever you want with infinite resources), and Adventure (for map makers, you can't break or place any blocks). And you play as a customizable player character but is mostly known for looking like the picture above. His name is not player or him or anything like that. It's Steve. A generic human name.

Why should Steve be in Smash?
Steve is arguably one of the most popular Indie characters out there. Yeah you heard me right. INDIE! Minecraft is a massively successful game. An indie no less....I mean microsoft owns it now, and I'm not even sure if it's an indie game anymore.....that aside. Minecraft has a huge fan base and has sold over 100 MILLION COPIES as of June 2016. Steves moveset could be incredibly diverse and creative. Just like in Minecraft. Plus I feel like he'd be a very great rep for the indie genre (besides Quote who I do think deserves a spot in smash). That and he's been on three Nintendo consoles. The Wii U, The New Nintendo 3DS, and The Nintendo Switch.

Counter Arguments

Minecraft isn't known for having a good fanbase:
Well yeah the fanbase of Minecraft isn't necessarily the greatest, that doesn't mean Steve shouldn't have a chance to be in smash.

Minecraft is now a Microsoft property:
Well Phil Spencer (Microsoft CEO) said a few years ago on twitter that he'd love to have Banjo and Kazooie in smash. And guess what. Banjo Kazooie (as well as other Rare properties such as Grabbed by The Ghoulies, Conker. Sea of Thieves, KILLER INSTINCT, Battletoads, Snake Rattle and Roll, ETC) is a property owned by Microsoft. So Microsoft seems to be open to including it's properties in smash. Not only that but with the recent release of Minecraft (Crossplay/Bedrock) for the switch Microsoft has been more than willing to work with Nintendo. So Steve is entirely possible.

Quote was the original Indie and deserves a spot more than Steve:
While yes it IS true that Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari was what popularized the indie game genre and was the first indie/nindie on a nintendo platform. I do feel like Minecraft's Steve is more deserving of this spot because we aren't even sure IF indies can get into smash in the first place so since Minecraft isn't known for being an indie game (which to my knowledge it is), Steve is the safer bet for an Indie rep in Smash. But thats not to say Quote shouldn't be in smash. Quote definitely deserves a spot on the roster up there with Shovel Knight (Deconfirmed), Shantae (Spirit), Karate Joe (Spirit), K-Rool (HE'S IN), Arle from Puyo Puyo, Bandana Waddle Dee (Spirit), DOOMGUY, Rayman (Spirit), Ashley (Deconfirmed), Geno (Spirit), Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot. Granted all the characters I listed ALSO deserve to be in smash for their own reasons. Ok getting a bit off topic. TLDR; Steve is the safer bet for an Indie rep due to Minecraft not being very well known for being an indie game (aka not many people know it's an indie game) and also because it's just overall more popular.

Well what are your guys thoughts? Do you want Steve to be in Smash? I made this thread due to there being no Steve support thread,and out of a genuine interest to see how many people agree that he should be in smash.

Moveset Google Doc
I can't seem to get long posts into the spoiler tag without issue so I've decided to just put it in a google doc. Credit to TheMarioaddict for the moveset, it's a great one :)

Caravan Of Noobs
SEGAGameBoy
Graizen
Tikivoy
MacDaddyNook
JadeBladeGamer22
smash puffle
Axel_
TheCJBrine
Connorb0t2

SuperiorYoshi87
Pakky
Boygos
SuperSceptile15

As a Minecraft veteran I give this my seal of approval

(Only if Alex will come as an echo fighter with it.)

How do u guy think they’ll reveal Steve like?
Maybe Steve mining and finding a smash ore.

Ok.....Hear me out here.

Steve as shown here, wearing his classic blue shirt and pants while holding an stone pickaxe.

Who is Steve?
Do you live under a rock? Almost everyone and their MOTHER knows about Minecraft. But I guess I'll explain it anyways. Minecraft is arguably the most successful PC game ever made selling practically millions each month. Minecraft is a game where you can do more or less anything from building a complete recreation of norway, mining diamonds in a cave, or even fighting zombies and skeletons with A BLOCK OF DIRT. Minecrafts world is blocky and lego esque. There are 3 main modes, Survival (Fight monsters, die a lot, find lava, and more or less just survive), Creative mode (Do as you please, and build whatever you want with infinite resources), and Adventure (for map makers, you can't break or place any blocks). And you play as a customizable player character but is mostly known for looking like the picture above. His name is not player or him or anything like that. It's Steve. A generic human name.

Why should Steve be in Smash?
Steve is arguably one of the most popular Indie characters out there. Yeah you heard me right. INDIE! Minecraft is a massively successful game. An indie no less....I mean microsoft owns it now, and I'm not even sure if it's an indie game anymore.....that aside. Minecraft has a huge fan base and has sold over 100 MILLION COPIES as of June 2016. Steves moveset could be incredibly diverse and creative. Just like in Minecraft. Plus I feel like he'd be a very great rep for the indie genre (besides Quote who I do think deserves a spot in smash). That and he's been on three Nintendo consoles. The Wii U, The New Nintendo 3DS, and The Nintendo Switch.

Counter Arguments

Minecraft isn't known for having a good fanbase:
Well yeah the fanbase of Minecraft isn't necessarily the greatest, that doesn't mean Steve shouldn't have a chance to be in smash.

Minecraft is now a Microsoft property:
Well Phil Spencer (Microsoft CEO) said a few years ago on twitter that he'd love to have Banjo and Kazooie in smash. And guess what. Banjo Kazooie (as well as other Rare properties such as Grabbed by The Ghoulies, Conker. Sea of Thieves, KILLER INSTINCT, Battletoads, Snake Rattle and Roll, ETC) is a property owned by Microsoft. So Microsoft seems to be open to including it's properties in smash. Not only that but with the recent release of Minecraft (Crossplay/Bedrock) for the switch Microsoft has been more than willing to work with Nintendo. So Steve is entirely possible.

Quote was the original Indie and deserves a spot more than Steve:
While yes it IS true that Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari was what popularized the indie game genre and was the first indie/nindie on a nintendo platform. I do feel like Minecraft's Steve is more deserving of this spot because we aren't even sure IF indies can get into smash in the first place so since Minecraft isn't known for being an indie game (which to my knowledge it is), Steve is the safer bet for an Indie rep in Smash. But thats not to say Quote shouldn't be in smash. Quote definitely deserves a spot on the roster up there with Shovel Knight (Deconfirmed), Shantae (Spirit), Karate Joe (Spirit), K-Rool (HE'S IN), Arle from Puyo Puyo, Bandana Waddle Dee (Spirit), DOOMGUY, Rayman (Spirit), Ashley (Deconfirmed), Geno (Spirit), Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot. Granted all the characters I listed ALSO deserve to be in smash for their own reasons. Ok getting a bit off topic. TLDR; Steve is the safer bet for an Indie rep due to Minecraft not being very well known for being an indie game (aka not many people know it's an indie game) and also because it's just overall more popular.

Well what are your guys thoughts? Do you want Steve to be in Smash? I made this thread due to there being no Steve support thread,and out of a genuine interest to see how many people agree that he should be in smash.

Moveset Google Doc
I can't seem to get long posts into the spoiler tag without issue so I've decided to just put it in a google doc. Credit to TheMarioaddict for the moveset, it's a great one :)

Caravan Of Noobs
SEGAGameBoy
Graizen
Tikivoy
MacDaddyNook
JadeBladeGamer22
smash puffle
Axel_
TheCJBrine
Connorb0t2

SuperiorYoshi87
Pakky