• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
main.png

Welcome to the Steve/Alex Social thread!

SSBUWebsiteSteve1.jpg

SSBUWebsiteSteve2.jpg

SSBUWebsiteSteve3.jpg

SSBUWebsiteSteve4.jpg

SSBUWebsiteSteve5.jpg

SSBUWebsiteSteve6.jpg

Neutral B - Mine/Craft/Place Block
This move varies depending on if you're on the ground, next to a crating table, or in the air. On the ground, you mine the area in front of you, dropping materials that you automatically collect. You can't hold infinite materials and will drop some if you go over a limit. You can see how many of each material you have at the bottom next to the character portrait. The materials are ordered weakest to strongest, with Dirt being the weakest and Iron being the strongest. The mineable stuff includes:
Wood
Cobblestone
Dirt
Sand
Iron Ingots
Gold Ingots
Redstone
Diamonds
Redstone does not appear on the character portrait and Gold and Diamond are shown next to it. The material you will use for crafting will shine periodically.

Each stage differs in what material you mine. For instance, stages such as Kongo Jungle yield more Wood while Corneria yields more Iron. Battlefield and Final Destination forms of each stage do not differ in the frequency of the material you can mine. That said, all materials can eventually be found on all stages, the only difference is frequency.

When the match begins a crafting table is automatically placed next to Steve's spawn point. Pressing B next to one will craft a new set of tools using the best item (Wood, Stone, Iron, Gold, Diamond). You can also use it to repair your current tools. Opponents (and the player) can destroy the crafting table by attacks near it. If it breaks it respawns after a short period of time. The player can also spawn a new one by shielding and pressing the special move button, even if one is already present on the stage.

In the air, Steve automatically places a block starting with the weakest materials. The blocks start to break after placing and landing on one speeds up the process. You can use this to block attacks, build platforms, or feint your opponents. However you need materials to place blocks and you cannot build past a certain point of the stage. Dirt is the weakest block, followed by Wood, Stone, and Iron.

Side B - Minecart
Hop in a Minecart and ride the rails! If you have Iron you can add more rails. Anyone in your way will get rammed by this attack. However there are a few things to consider.

First the Minecart has trouble going up hills. When one is encountered you roll back. If you have Gold and Redstone you can craft powered rails, giving you an extra boost. Additionally you can hop out of the Minecart at any time. When doing so the Minecart becomes a command grab, taking the opponent for a ride. They can escape but they'll be in there longer the more damage they have. Finally, if you don't have Iron, you will come to an early stop.

Up B - Elytra

Grab a firework rocket, put on the Elytra, and glide through the air! After launching you can move up and down to control trajectory. The initial launch has a hotbox but after that you are vulnerable. You can aim where you go before the firework goes off. Go too far high and the move ends early, you cannot glide again if this happens. Additionally the Elytra will fall off eventually, try to get to where you need to go before that happens.

Down B - TNT
Spawn a block of TNT. The dynamite explodes after a certain amount of time and explodes earlier if attacked, especially with fire based attacks. Attacking it lets you move it. By using Down B again you can place Redstone that leads to a Pressure Plate. Stepping on the Pressure Plate causes the TNT to go off immediately. Be aware that you can place a Pressure Plate next to the TNT with no circuit. Stepping on it then causes you to get caught in the explosion. You can also use this to force opponents to approach differently since they can also trigger the explosion. Whoever triggers the Pressure Plate takes less damage than other opponents caught in the blast.

Final Smash - The House of Boom!
For the Final Smash, Steve uses a Piston to send opponents to the House of Boom! The house contains Zombies, Creepers, and TNT! As the Explosion occurs, Steve appears to eat a victory steak! Only one person can enter the house, but multiple people can get hit by the piston.

Unknown.jpg

Welcome to the Steve support thread!

Here we discuss the crafty miner getting into Smash!

Who?
The default player skin of Minecraft, Steve wakes up one day in a endless world. Starting with nothing, the player eventually turns the world into their own canvas. From here, Steve can do what he wishes including farm, mine, or fight monsters.
In Minecraft, the player crafts a variety of tools such as pickaxes, swords, and other tools. Everything in the game has multiple functions limited only by what the player wishes to do with that item.
Also in the image above is Alex, the default female player avatar. She would be present as an alt skin to Steve.

What would Steve's moves be?
Shown here and here are two moveset ideas (Special thanks to TheMarioaddict and Axel_)

Additionally, check out this playlist by YouTube user Mego's Hideout, showcasing how Steve could move and be animated while keeping his blocky aesthetic.

Arguments for:
The most successful game of all time
Microsoft is willing to play ball, most noticeable now that Banjo & Kazooie are playable
Has been endorsed by Nintendo, receiving an exclusive mashup pack and a special 3DS model.

Arguments against and counters to those arguments:

Only one rep per third party for DLC:
While this rule has not broken yet, I feel Sakurai may wish to make an exception since he, alongside millions of others, has praised Minecraft. Especially since we know Microsoft is willing to play ball with Smash Ultimate.

His movement would be too stiff:
Other characters do have somewhat stiff movement (Mr. Game and Watch) but are able to function. Additionally, the Smash team can create animations as the video playlist up above shows.

Stage idea:
Minecraft_2.jpg

(Note: Image is only a sample)
The world of Minecraft is vast and expansive. Fighters would be above the world on a platform that showcases a variety of biomes. Every time the stage is loaded, the biomes change. A day and night cycle is present. During the day, things are peaceful, but at night, hostile mobs appear. Look out for the creepers!

Music:
Sweden
Floating Trees
Battle Mode 1
Dead Voxel
(Note: Music is a bit short, but these are only a few songs that could end up in Smash)

In the end, Steve would bring fun gameplay and a unique aesthetic to the world of Smash. Perhaps he shall craft an invite and join the battle.

Ok.....Hear me out here.

Who is Steve?

Do you live under a rock? Almost everyone and their MOTHER knows about Minecraft. But I guess I'll explain it anyways. Minecraft is arguably the most successful PC game ever made selling practically millions each month. Minecraft is a game where you can do more or less anything from building a complete recreation of norway, mining diamonds in a cave, or even fighting zombies and skeletons with A BLOCK OF DIRT. Minecrafts world is blocky and lego esque. There are 3 main modes, Survival (Fight monsters, die a lot, find lava, and more or less just survive), Creative mode (Do as you please, and build whatever you want with infinite resources), and Adventure (for map makers, you can't break or place any blocks). And you play as a customizable player character but is mostly known for looking like the picture above. His name is not player or him or anything like that. It's Steve. A generic human name.

Why should Steve be in Smash?

Steve is arguably one of the most popular Indie characters out there. Yeah you heard me right. INDIE!Minecraft is a massively successful game. An indie no less....I mean microsoft owns it now, and I'm not even sure if it's an indie game anymore.....that aside. Minecraft has a huge fan base and has sold over 100 MILLION COPIES as of June 2016. Steves moveset could be incredibly diverse and creative. Just like in Minecraft. Plus I feel like he'd be a very great rep for the indie genre (besides Quote who I do think deserves a spot in smash). That and he's been on three Nintendo consoles. The Wii U, The New Nintendo 3DS, and The Nintendo Switch.

Counter Arguments

Minecraft isn't known for having a good fanbase:

Well yeah the fanbase of Minecraft isn't necessarily the greatest, that doesn't mean Steve shouldn't have a chance to be in smash.

Minecraft is now a Microsoft property:

Well Phil Spencer (Microsoft CEO) said a few years ago on twitter that he'd love to have Banjo and Kazooie in smash. And guess what. Banjo Kazooie (as well as other Rare properties such as Grabbed by The Ghoulies, Conker. Sea of Thieves, KILLER INSTINCT, Battletoads, Snake Rattle and Roll, ETC) is a property owned by Microsoft. So Microsoft seems to be open to including it's properties in smash. Not only that but with the recent release of Minecraft (Crossplay/Bedrock) for the switch Microsoft has been more than willing to work with Nintendo. So Steve is entirely possible.

Quote was the original Indie and deserves a spot more than Steve:

While yes it IStrue that Cave Story/Doukutsu Monogatari was what popularized the indie game genre and was the first indie/nindie on a nintendo platform. I do feel like Minecraft's Steve is more deserving of this spot because we aren't even sure IF indies can get into smash in the first place so since Minecraft isn't known for being an indie game (which to my knowledge it is), Steve is the safer bet for an Indie rep in Smash. But thats not to say Quote shouldn't be in smash. Quote definitely deserves a spot on the roster up there with Shovel Knight (Deconfirmed), Shantae (Spirit), Karate Joe (Spirit), K-Rool (HE'S IN), Arle from Puyo Puyo, Bandana Waddle Dee (Spirit), DOOMGUY, Rayman (Spirit), Ashley (Deconfirmed), Geno (Spirit), Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot. Granted all the characters I listed ALSO deserve to be in smash for their own reasons. Ok getting a bit off topic. TLDR; Steve is the safer bet for an Indie rep due to Minecraft not being very well known for being an indie game (aka not many people know it's an indie game) and also because it's just overall more popular.

Well what are your guys thoughts? Do you want Steve to be in Smash? I made this thread due to there being no Steve support thread,and out of a genuine interest to see how many people agree that he should be in smash.

Attachments

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Steve is the character who, just thinking about it, seems like the sort of thing one would see just in internet memes (and makes one shudder thinking about the incoming Minecraft fanbase,) yet there's a real possibility of it nowadays. However, on top of that, there are a couple things potentially in his favor that I haven't seen mentioned.

One is the fact that, out of all of the possible newcomers, he'd take some of the least time/effort to implement due to his ultra simple design and limited articulation. As the number of characters on the roster is determined by development time and not "slots," this would allow him to sneak into the roster where few other unique characters could fit.

The other thing is, if they choose to make his animations be accurate to Minecraft, he could be one of the most silly looking characters on the roster due to his animations. Just imagine, the awkward arm swinging, being launched while keeping his spine completely straight, ect, it'd be like Mega Man or Game & Watch taken to ridiculous extremes.

I'm not sure if I support him fully yet, but, he has more going for him than most give him credit for.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I do not support Steve, but I feel like he is one of the most overlooked character choices for Smash. Kids in particular would love Minecraft representation, and Minecraft itself is one of the best selling video games of all time. I would rather see other third parties like Crash Bandicoot or Phoenix Wright in Smash, but Steve seems more likely than either of them, as much as I don't want to admit it.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
-Minecraft was a cultural phenomenon. During my time working at Toys R Us, minecraft toys outsold any other gaming related toys combined.
-Sakurai likes Minecraft.
-Microsoft has allowed Minecraft a pseudo 3rd party status which is more than I can say for anything else it owns.
-Minecraft is easily the single most successful indie game.

His chances are high. If I was a betting man, I'd say he was the front runner for an Indie rep.

Also OP, might want to change font color. Dark Brown text on a black background is not easy to read

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played the Pocket Edition, PS4 Edition, and Xbox 360 Edition, so I'll do what I can with his moveset.

Side Smash - Similar to Ike's except he swings a Pickaxe
Down Smash - Just like Villager's

A-A-A - A horizontal, horizontal, and vertical swing with his Pickaxe

Side Air - Similar to Villager's except he shoots an arrow
Back Air - Same as his Side Air

That's literally all I can think of. Also, please add me to the supporters.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
This is one of the few character suggestions that I'm very strongly opposed to. Minecraft in SSB is one thing; a stage, a creeper or enderman assist trophy, whatever it may be, those could be really fun. But if they do include Steve I'm going to severely question Sakurai / Nintendo.

I had a really in-depth argument over this character specifically with a co-worker. He was explaining to me that Steve could be a great indie rep, he would draw in lots of younger children, he would be visually unique among the rest of the cast, and Minecraft is the best selling indie franchise ever on top of being a third-party Microsoft IP, making him a rep of multiple things. He also explained that Nintendo doesn't care what people want and will do whatever brings on the dollar signs. I don't think Nintendo is worried about an "indie rep" specifically. Younger children are already drawn in by Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Sonic, etc. Steve could definitely be considered visually unique in his blocky style, but it also happens to look like ass and I think Sakurai would steer clear of the character for this reason alone on top of the fact that he can't really do much outside of what other characters like Link or Villager are already capable of. This would be my biggest point, is that Sakurai has stated that he includes character based solely on their own interesting merits and style, which Steve doesn't really have. Minecraft is a game that represents itself with crude visuals to allow most PCs to safely run it, which was a smart decision, and the player characters look right at home in their own world... but place Steve next to other characters and environments in SSB and it won't look good. I used to address that people don't really demand Steve that much, but I just encountered a conversation in Discord that was literally about Steve and how he would appeal to the younger crowd and make SSB more popular. So Steve is becoming a common suggestion. I understand that Minecraft is a phenomenon and I have many fond memories with the franchise myself. But why is Steve surging in popularity as a candidate when he's not the reason we love Minecraft? I would be ecstatic to see a stage with destructable blocks, maybe that drop as items and can be rearranged by the fighters? On top of maybe an assist trophy for one of the many iconic enemy varieties, my personal choice being Ghast. It's just Steve as a character I feel is the wrong way to represent this franchise, and I've exhausted everything I have to say about it on multiple occasions.

Those are just my thoughts. Peace and respect man. :ness:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I was recently talking to college friends about Steve joining Smash.
And I'll be totally honest with you here!
Many people want Banjo in the game, and Microsoft seems to totally agree with that! Congratulations!

In addition we are seeing a very nice friendship between them and Nintendo!

But do you know what would really draw attention to the next Smash? If Minecraft was part of the game!
And you know why? Because nobody today knows who Banjo is, unless you're already 30 years old!
Meanwhile if you yell "MINECRAFT" on the street, lots of random people will know what you're talking about!

This all means that Minecraft nowadays in millions of times more famous than Banjo or some old games. Not that he is better, but that he is more famous that for sure he is.
So I think that all this huge friendship between Nintendo and Microsoft could end up certainly bringing Steve from Minecraft to the next Smash!

Even the communication between the Xbox and the Switch in Minecraft can certainly help this to happen!

And I say even more: It would be a ridiculously huge success for the next Smash Bros if that happened! It does not matter what people say or think.

So I give 100% of my support to Steve! Good luck!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I was recently talking to college friends about Steve joining Smash.
And I'll be totally honest with you here!
Many people want Banjo in the game, and Microsoft seems to totally agree with that! Congratulations!

In addition we are seeing a very nice friendship between them and Nintendo!

But do you know what would really draw attention to the next Smash? If Minecraft was part of the game!
And you know why? Because nobody today knows who Banjo is, unless you're already 30 years old!
Meanwhile if you yell "MINECRAFT" on the street, lots of random people will know what you're talking about!

This all means that Minecraft nowadays in millions of times more famous than Banjo or some old games. Not that he is better, but that he is more famous that for sure he is.
So I think that all this huge friendship between Nintendo and Microsoft could end up certainly bringing Steve from Minecraft to the next Smash!

Even the communication between the Xbox and the Switch in Minecraft can certainly help this to happen!

And I say even more: It would be a ridiculously huge success for the next Smash Bros if that happened! It does not matter what people say or think.

So I give 100% of my support to Steve! Good luck!
Yeah! It’s more popular, therefore, it’s better!

Wait, no, Minecraft is old news, let’s get someone from Fortnite in Smash! Preferably Thanos, that’s where he originated right?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Yeah! It’s more popular, therefore, it’s better!

Wait, no, Minecraft is old news, let’s get someone from Fortnite in Smash! Preferably Thanos, that’s where he originated right?
"Not that he is better, but that he is more famous that for sure he is."

I never said that Minecraft was a better game.
And you cant say that a Popular game that Kids love is something BAD to put in Smash Bros.
And im sorry but Kids today don't even know what a BANJO is.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm not afraid to admit it, Steve has a ton of moveset potential unique to him and is an icon that changed the video games industry. Support.

The OP definitely needs some cleaning up and an easier to read text colour, though.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
verysleepywolf verysleepywolf Counterpoint to Steve's visual aesthetic: Game & Watch is piterally just a 2D plane.
And G&W looks fantastic. Has personality and uniqueness. He was also designed to be visible during gameplay, not the lense you view the game world through. Steve is a generic name for a crude stripped down avatar that I don't even feel qualifies as an actual character in his own game.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
And G&W looks fantastic. Has personality and uniqueness. He was also designed to be visible during gameplay, not the lense you view the game world through. Steve is a generic name for a crude stripped down avatar that I don't even feel qualifies as an actual character in his own game.
Perhaps "Survivor" or something in place of specifically Steve, and it has a bunch of different Minecraft skins instead? Similar to :4villager:?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Perhaps "Survivor" or something in place of specifically Steve, and it has a bunch of different Minecraft skins instead? Similar to :4villager:?
The thing is, Steve (and Alex) specifically are a lot more popular for their own sakes than most people here give them credit for. Have you ever looked at the merchandise section of a game store? They wouldn’t sell so much Steve and Alex merch if they weren’t popular.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't really want Steve in Smash, its just a name given to blank slate that you're probably going to change the look of anyway, likely to match an actual character. Herobrine is probably a more well known name than Steve.

That said, I'd love a Minecraft stage. So much potential for something mind blowing. And I love the Minecraft world. That's whats really iconic to the series. It's beautiful auto generated world. I think a stage is much more fitting to represent the series.

And we have gotten third party content without a character to go with in the form trophies and music. Why not a stage?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Still, even if Steve moveset is mostly about generic pickaxe swings and arrow shoots, if you center his specials around placing blocks, is immediately become a pretty unique character...

And we all know that Sakurai's loves putting characters from other franchises that feel like they are playing their own games, and a building and placing blocks mechanic would be Central to Steve.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is steves day in the RTC, come show your support.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't support him, but he could happen.

Nintendo would be attracting Minecraft’s community, which is massive, towards Smash.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Steve is the newcomer that would make the biggest splash by far. I think this is actually a pretty likely choice and I also kinda want it to happen. I love unique characters in Smash and if Sakurai finds a way to incorporate Minecraft gameplay into a Smash moveset like he does with so many of the newer characters, that'd be amazing.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'd enjoy seeing Steve in the game. And as some mentioned I would especially love to see how creative they'd get with a Minecraft stage.
A stage with mostly breakable blocks on the edges sounds fun. Just make the base bedrock or obsidian or the like. Would love to see a sprawling background and have some mobs appear...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I can already imagine him faking his hype
"OH MA GAWD, DADDY SAKURAI ARE YOU FOR REEAL RIGHT NOW, STEVE?!?! YES!! IS THIS HAPPENING" *moves around room without actually watching the video

People give him way too much attention

Anyway, came here to say that I don't really want Steve in Smash but I would adore a Minecraft stage and would gladly accept the character if we got the stage with it. That world is the real star of Minecraft, it has a very nice simplistic beauty to it, while hiding many hidden dangers.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
After some thought, I’ve started to really like the moveset potential of Steve, due to his ability to alter the shape of the world around him.

The main part of my idea is that several of his normals would be based around placing blocks, with each block having a damaging hitbox while it is being placed, and the position the block is placed is based on what blocks are already there. So, dtilt would start near his feet and place them further away with repeated use, ftilt would start farther away on the ground and build blocks closer with repeated use, utilt would start especially close to his feet and build blocks upward with repeated use, and Dair would put blocks on the ground below him (think Maypul Dair but with blocks.) There would, however, be a block limit for each Steve, visible on his GUI, which can be refilled when the blocks are broken. Each Steve / Alex alt could use a different texture for the blocks so that they can all be easily distinguished.

His specials would be designed so that you can use the terrain alterations to his advantage. Nspec could spawn a Dispenser filled with arrows, which can be activated by pressing nspec again near the dispenser, which has more range if you place it on a stack of blocks rather directly on the floor, dspec would let you place a TNT and, by holding the button and moving, lay out Redstone and a pressure plate so that you can booby trap your constructions, side spec would lay out minecart tracks and let you ride one, which becomes significantly stronger if you have a downwards staircase of blocks to gain speed with rather than using it on flat ground, and uspec would make a slowly collapsing pillar of sand blocks to jump off of as a recovery (generic, yes, but it’s something everyone’s done in Minecraft.)

He could have even more stage control options in his smashes, like pouring out a bucket of lava that spreads more if it’s placed at the top of uneven terrain.

Most of his other normals would be pretty generic, perhaps he could have his bow as an aerial, but, since his fighting style is really unrefined and his mobility is poor, it isn’t his strong point of course, his goal is to make the opponent try to approach through his booby trapped fortress of blocks and make poor approach options, leading to easy punishes. The opponent, of course, generally wants to prevent him from being able to set up in the first place. He could, perhaps, have an auto jump/climb of sorts when running into one block high walls like he does in some mobile versions of Minecraft, giving him an edge in navigating his own constructions.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
While I do see that he is popular or his game is. I still don’t think he would get in over banjo chief or hell even Conker.
1 look at mega man when was his last game.
2 look at cloud he is from FF7 not the first FF or the latest.
3 this game is for the fans...

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I don’t necessarily want Steve, but he absolutely could deserve a spot. In less than a decade, Minecraft has become one of the top ten best-selling video game franchises of all time - and it started as an Indie title. In my opinion, he is a bigger icon than everyone on the roster except Mario, Pikachu, Pac-Man, and maybe Donkey Kong/Luigi. His moveset could revolve around building structures on the battlefield. Specials aren’t too hard either: his B could place a block of varying materials (dirt to diamond) that you can cycle through like Shulk’s Monado Arts to place down and build. His side B can be the trident dash, his up B can have some Endermen teleport him, and his down B can be TNT. Use the sword and bow for normals, and his final smash can be trapping people in bedrock and spawning the Wither. It could even be called the same thing as the in-game achievement of spawning the Wither.

With all that said, I’m indifferent towards his inclusion. He is easily justified, but I think we need to focus on the remaining Nintendo favorites and franchises who aren’t in yet. And to those using the fanbase as a counter argument - it doesn’t count. Look past the fans and see the bigger merits of the character. That’s the way I see it, at least.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Ok, some I'm one of those old "out of the loop" guys and don't know a whole lot about Minecraft or Steve, aside from its affect on gaming and pop culture in general, but the idea of a character centered around creating stuff to affect the battle is very intriguing. A character that can change the layout of the playingfield with temporary structures would be something unheard of and, quite frankly, rather exciting. Count me in.

Top Bottom