• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Gets Crafty in the Latest Challenger Approaching

remember_when_steve_had_a_question_mark_at_the_end.jpg

After several quick takes and general roster predictions for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's first fighter pass, Delzethin has finally released his first full Challenger Approaching video since the game's launch, this time featuring a character that has gone from a niche pick to a strong contender: Steve from Minecraft.

When it comes to direct mechanical references to Minecraft, there's quite a bit on display. His specials include breakable blocks that he can place down to serve as walls and platforms, a minecart that can be used to cover ground or act as a projectile, an Ender Pearl projectile that teleports Steve wherever it lands, and a crafting table that lets Steve craft one of four temporary upgrades.

His take on Steve focuses on adapting more than just mechanics from Minecraft, but the overall feel of the game. On top of moves based on the block-building and crafting mechanics from Minecraft, this take on Steve has a well-rounded playstyle that would allow players to take him in whatever direction they want, but that also requires careful setup to perform well.

Author's note: What are your thoughts on the idea of Steve in Smash? What do you think he'd play like if he made it in?

Scribe

Comments

Dang, I got so excited for a second when I read the title and thought Steve was coming to Smash

This moveset is excellent and I would love if Steve were in Smash with it (though I'd put a larger variety of tools in his normal attacks, but a pickaxe would definitely be his side-smash if it were up to me).

Last edited:
I kinda think Mii Sword fighter getting a Diamond Armor outfit and Minecraft as the 6th DLC stage would be fine. While Banjo-Kazooie could also be playable. I can see Steeve getting three Mii Outfits.
My only downside to Minecraft being a downloadable character is that there are very few musics to allow for Minecraft's stage even if songs from Story mode are used.

Last edited:
I think Steves fsmash should be splash potion because then angling it could change the effect, like instant damage, slowness, and weakness. Two of these are self-explanatory, but weakness would make them slightly worse in all ways, but they would only take like 5 damage or something insignificant. His upsmash should be similar to villagers and have Steve using Fireworks to attack above him. Steve's theoretical specials displayed in the video are great, but there are a few changes I would make, his neutral special's obsidian it should have around 40-60 health because of how strong it is in game. I contemplated maybe steve being able to use bedrock instead, but you can't actually obtain it naturally so I thought it wouldn't be true to his character. I would keep the rest of his specials the same, but I feel it would be incredible if his up b was a TNT cannon. His final smash being the ender dragon is neat, but I feel that there are other options. Steve could go into creative mode and do some things, or maybe (this would never happen) he could use cheats to kill the opponent or badly damage them or something. If you have something to say please comment I want some feedback on my ideas.

I kinda think Mii Sword fighter getting a Diamond Armor outfit and Minecraft as the 6th DLC stage would be fine. While Banjo-Kazooie could also be playable. I can see Steeve getting three Mii Outfits.
My only downside to Minecraft being a downloadable character is that there are very few musics to allow for Minecraft's stage even if songs from Story mode are used.
Nah Minecraft has some great music, and have u listened to the bubble track on the green screen stage(forgot what it was called and to lazy to look up what it is called) that isn't even music.

I My only downside to Minecraft being a downloadable character is that there are very few musics to allow for Minecraft's stage even if songs from Story mode are used.
Theres over twenty different tracks, and that's more than enough for a stage, I would imagine.

I don't care what anyone says. I would love Steve/Alex in Smash. I fully believe Sakurai could make them feel faithful to their original games but fit perfectly within Smashes gameplay, and I also feel that just as a concept Steve lends himself to probably the most amount of different but still good potential movesets of any character that could be considered just because of how much stuff there is to pull from the source game.

As far as the Steve vs Banjo-Kazooie debate, I don't really care. They'd both be fun. Ideally they'd both get in, and while that isn't realistic, I'm not going to be super unhappy if one gets in over the other. I think at this point I'd prefer a new BK game over him in Smash right this instant anyways.

Last edited:
Theres over twenty different tracks, and that's more than enough for a stage, I would imagine.
my issue with the music is just that ...none of it really fits for smash imo. I mean yeah technically you could argue neither does animal crossing’s, but it certainly doesn’t feel as drastically out of place as any of the ambient music from minecraft would. And what could they even use for steve’s victory theme? None of the music from the games have any catchy moments to them that really could fit, which most other characters do. Don’t get me wrong minecraft has one of my most favorite soundtracks of any game, but it doesn’t fit smash very well imo.

Of course my main reason for not wanting steve is something the video creator attempted to cover, and even tried to make it sound like they wouldn’t be directly competing against each other by bringing up the belmonts, but unfortunately they still are competing for the spot.

Microsoft is a very unique case compared to other companies that got a smash rep, Microsoft is still developing consoles, they’re “technically” rivals to Nintendo, they’re not really third party.

Maybe not in the same way that we fans over exaggerate, but still very much console rivals. Getting even one character from them would be monumental, and it’s very unlikely we’d get a second. And this is why steve does technically hurt banjos chance if he got in. At least imo.

Of course this is sakurai, so he might pull a sakurai on us, surprising the hell out of us all.

Last edited:
my issue with the music is just that ...none of it really fits for smash imo. I mean yeah technically you could argue neither does animal crossing’s, but it certainly doesn’t feel as drastically out of place as any of the ambient music from minecraft would. And what could they even use for steve’s victory theme? None of the music from the games have any catchy moments to them that really could fit, which most other characters do. Don’t get me wrong minecraft has one of my most favorite soundtracks of any game, but it doesn’t fit smash very well imo.
I made a concept for Steve's victory theme; it's the main melody from the "Sweden" track, one of the first tracks added to the game. An iconic one, too, I think.

As for music, I think it'd be fine. Some of Minecraft's music could fit better than others, i.e. some music that plays in creative mode like "Aria Math" and maybe the second half of "Taswell", but they could still make remixes of the tracks, plus it could be a nice contrast to other Smash Bros. tracks similar to some of the Animal Crossing music and...heh...Environmental Noises. They could also take the battle music that plays in some of the minigames in the legacy console editions of Minecraft.

Last edited:
I would actually be disappointed and would find Steve's inclusion sub-par in comparison to Isabelle's, and let me tell you, I didn't care in the slightest about Isabelle's inclusion.

That we live in a time where Steve in Super Smash Bros. is even a possibility brings me great disgust. We’re a long time from when this series was about celebrating Nintendo all-stars. Now any character and their mother can get into Smash as long as Sakurai likes them.

Last edited:
That we live in a time where Steve in Super Smash Bros. is even a possibility brings me great disgust. We’re a long time from when this series was about celebrating Nintendo all-stars. Now any character and their mother can get into Smash as long as Sakurai likes them.
That's a silly thing to say considering one of the first third party characters was more of a direct competitor to Nintendo than Steve or anyone else could ever be. The majority of the roster is and still will be first party including 9/13 of the newcomers so far. I don't see how this could possibly be an issue for you.

Last edited:
That's a silly thing to say considering one of the first third party characters was more of a direct competitor to Nintendo than Steve or anyone else could ever be. The majority of the roster is and still will be first party including 9/13 of the newcomers so far. I don't see how this could possibly be an issue for you.
Not to mention the fact that MC has had its games on 3 of Nintendo’s systems.

If you don’t see the issue then explaining it would be a lost cause.

Personally, with Nintendo's current announcement, it looks like Steeve and Diamond Armor are going to be Spirits and Mii Fighter Outfits.
To be fair, Steeve would make an awesome Assist Trophy, and a character for the next game. How many of you wouldn't want a Steeve Assist Trophy making new platforms for your fighters to play on. (yes he would enter creative mode for his assist trophy)

It looks like the most likely "6th" DLC stage will be "Minecraft" or Icicle Mountain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom