• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve from Minecraft is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

steve.PNG

Today it was confirmed that Steve from Minecraft would be appearing as the seventh DLC character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. In addition, Steve will include alts based on the characters Alex, Enderman, and Zombie from Minecraft. The trailer showed us bits of how moveset including his building gimmick as well as wielding a sword in battle. His explosive Final Smash was also shown where players get attacked by Creepers. For added affect, Steve eats some meat at your opponent is reduced to a cinder. We also saw bits of the Minecraft stage which seems to have seasonal variants and a day and night cycle. Following the reveal trailerSakurai also explained

minecraft.PNG

The trailer showed us bits of how moveset including his building gimmick as well as wielding a sword in battle. His explosive Final Smash was also shown where players get attacked by Creepers. For added affect, Steve eats some meat at your opponent is reduced to a cinder. We also saw bits of the Minecraft stage which seems to have seasonal variants and a day and night cycle. Following the reveal trailer, Sakurai also explained the process of including Steve and how difficult it was to program him. Apparently, they had to rework every single stage to work with his blocks.

You can watch the full trailer here:

Additionally, Sakurai announced that there would be a full in-depth presentation of Steve & Alex on October 3rd at 10:30 am ET.

Author’s Note: What did you think of the character reveal? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

I didn’t comment in here as I was dead tired after the trailer. That’s what I get for waking up at 4 am yesterday morning. Anyways, I don’t like Minecraft and Steve has always been a sore spot for me. I just don’t like it. That being said, I know how big Minecraft is and it does deserve a spot in Smash considering its popularity and importance. And I admit, that moveset looks pretty cool and unique. I can’t wait to see how it’s implemented. I can imagine more than half of the preteen population of Japan right now is absolutely going insane. Minecraft is HUUUUUUUGE in Japan and has been since 2011. That and Fortnite are the two biggest western franchises in Japan. In fact, I took a survey among my students “What games do you like to play?” More than half were Fortnite and the rest were either Smash, Pokémon, and Minecraft.

From what I’ve been reading, some people are generally happy and excited, others are optimistic, and there are those who are upset. It makes sense. Your posts in this particular thread and other likeminded posts thats all keyboardsmashingenragedohmygodwhyisthischaracterinthisgameimsomaaad! is childish, unwarranted, and selfish. You can Rage all you want but please keep in mind that there are Steve fans here and they want to celebrate and be happy about his inclusion without people raining on their parade. Targeting these fans will result in warnings.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add for Steve fans who are understandably happy, that it's no reason to shove it in other people's face either. Thank you.

I didn’t comment in here as I was dead tired after the trailer. That’s what I get for waking up at 4 am yesterday morning. Anyways, I don’t like Minecraft and Steve has always been a sore spot for me. I just don’t like it. That being said, I know how big Minecraft is and it does deserve a spot in Smash considering its popularity and importance. And I admit, that moveset looks pretty cool and unique. I can’t wait to see how it’s implemented. I can imagine more than half of the preteen population of Japan right now is absolutely going insane. Minecraft is HUUUUUUUGE in Japan and has been since 2011. That and Fortnite are the two biggest western franchises.

From what I’ve been reading, some people are generally happy and excited, others are optimistic, and there are those who are upset. It makes sense. Your posts in this particular thread and other likeminded posts thats all keyboardsmashingenragedohmygodwhyisthischaracterinthisgameimsomaaad! is childish, unwarranted, and selfish.
call it what you will, i did not come here to disscuss it either i said it again no point in raging if Nintendo calling the shots here, steve was to balane the game for the kids audiences, since he got in people or should i say idiot trolls are now gonna spam fortnite, fortnite and more fortnite, if only Nintendo continues after Sakurai on this smash like a DLC3 we would have not be having this discussion and would be happy either way but sadly this is the last and there will be no smash coming in the near future even if Nintendo makes a new console.

My point is this Grats to steve but a unwanted one 4 more spots left so i hope Nintendo makes a valid choice for this one, Just don't dare they Bring Jonesy because now is a painful possibility.

ANd to make matters worse people like LaxChris is a idiot who wants this useless characters instead of searching and supporting cool ones....

Can I just say I find it absolutely hilarious that Steve broke both Twitter and Smashboards? How did Gamefaqs fair? Youtube? I think it’s pretty fitting that he would do that.

I was really holding out for Master Chief or Fulgore for a second MS rep but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them used as Mii Fighter costumes. We never got them with Banjo.

Also, damn, this showcase is at 11:30 pm here in Japan. I’ll stay up to watch it I guess but i always try and get to bed early on weekends cause, well, taking care of two kids during the day is draining.

call it what you will, i did not come here to disscuss it either i said it again no point in raging if Nintendo calling the shots here, steve was to balane the game for the kids audiences, since he got in people or should i say idiot trolls are now gonna spam fortnite, fortnite and more fortnite, if only Nintendo continues after Sakurai on this smash like a DLC3 we would have not be having this discussion and would be happy either way but sadly this is the last and there will be no smash coming in the near future even if Nintendo makes a new console.

My point is this Grats to steve but a unwanted one 4 more spots left so i hope Nintendo makes a valid choice for this one, Just don't dare they Bring Jonesy because now is a painful possibility.

ANd to make matters worse people like LaxChris is a idiot who wants this useless characters instead of searching and supporting cool ones....
I have no qualms with people supporting any character they want to be in Smash and, seeing what SakuraI and his team has done with series like Persona, DQ, B&K, etc, I’m excited to see what they have done with Minecraft. If Jonsey is infact an incoming character, I would be excited to see what they did with him and his series. You might actually want to check out news articles I did on the subject.

And this is coming from a guy who only played Fortnite in order to write these articles. That being said, I’m perfectly fine with any character wether it be Jonsey, Goku, Naruto, Jibanyan, or whatever. Sakurai has shown time and time again that he can take a character and series and make it fit in with Smash and make it look appealing. Plus, all the love they pour into each content that’s included is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Can I just say I find it absolutely hilarious that Steve broke both Twitter and Smashboards? How did Gamefaqs fair? Youtube? I think it’s pretty fitting that he would do that.

I was really holding out for Master Chief or Fulgore for a second MS rep but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them used as Mii Fighter costumes. We never got them with Banjo.

Also, damn, this showcase is at 11:30 pm here in Japan. I’ll stay up to watch it I guess but i always try and get to bed early on weekends cause, well, taking care of two kids during the day is draining.

I have no qualms with people supporting any character they want to be in Smash and, seeing what SakuraI and his team has done with series like Persona, DQ, B&K, etc, I’m excited to see what they have done with Minecraft. If Jonsey is infact an incoming character, I would be excited to see what they did with him and his series. You might actually want to check out news articles I did on the subject.

And this is coming from a guy who only played Fortnite in order to write these articles. That being said, I’m perfectly fine with any character wether it be Jonsey, Goku, Naruto, Jibanyan, or whatever. Sakurai has shown time and time again that he can take a character and series and make it fit in with Smash and make it look appealing. Plus, all the love they pour into each content that’s included is pretty amazing.
I made a thread about the diffrences of cool characters and the mainstream ones we can talk ideas there if you like, goku on the other hand is the Anime Barrier and that one is off limits even for Sakurai.

Hoes mad, stay mad. :mybodyisreggie:
If anyone is actually mad over Steve after being fed the Plant and Byleth then your priorities are ****ed up.

Edit: Also, I don't really get the whole "Hoes stay mad" thing... you really have nothing else to say about the character? That says a lot about the announcement. :rolleyes: I would like to see actual joy for the character, not harassing those who disliked it.

I feel absolutely no emotion over this reveal: I had the same thing with Joker; doesn't even feel like a character was revealed... it's just like who cares to me.

Last edited:
All the salt at Steve from YouTube, and I'm just laughing at how much he looks like a bad photoshop job next to the rest of the cast. XD
It's like someone brought Garry's Mod to life and I just can't be in the least bit mad about this.
Even his official render is literally just him standing and I can't even! XD

D
Yes, this is the best reveal for me ever.

For forever, he was my most wanted. Now he is in.

First time I legit cried tears of joy in a Smash announcement.

This is huge. It broke Twitter and is #1 trending on YouTube.
1601610828497.png

I am so happy right now. I am completely satisfied with this Fighter's Pass. I will be a Steve main now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You preferred FE character number one million to this?

did you want another blue haired swordsman with a down b counter?

I for one am glad the represented a new franchise (especially a popular one) and showcased a very creative moveset
the last FE character DID have a creative moveset. nor did he have acounter. so i dont know what the hate is for.
the post you replied to was talking in part about the trailer. the trailer was not nearly as interesting as others have been: cloud, bayonetta, byleth, and nowhere near joker's. possibly due to COVID, but that was still the final product.

from what we saw of steve Im not a fan so far either. Weird animations to read, likely a runaway character. he will camp and build walls to stall, and aesthetics wise he is not appealing to look at.

from what we saw of steve Im not a fan so far either. Weird animations to read, likely a runaway character. he will camp and build walls to stall, and aesthetics wise he is not appealing to look at.
Reading animations isn't that important. Rather you should be focusing on spacing, and as far as we've seen Steve's normals notably lack in range

Last edited:
D
As someone who has spent a large part of his early childhood being obsessed with Minecraft, I couldn't be happier right now. The character seems to be implemented well, and clearly had a lot of thought put into them.
I understand why a lot of people are sour and disappointed about the reveal - I reacted with the same disinterest for Banjo and Hero - but it's important to grasp the reason the character was added to the game; and hey, the character might end up being really fun.

As someone who has spent a large part of his early childhood being obsessed with Minecraft, I couldn't be happier right now. The character seems to be implemented well, and clearly had a lot of thought put into them.
I understand why a lot of people are sour and disappointed about the reveal - I reacted with the same disinterest for Banjo and Hero - but it's important to grasp the reason the character was added to the game; and hey, the character might end up being really fun.
i hope the character is more on the hero end of fun and not the banjo end.

I got a question here.

Why are there some folks mad about?
Salt is always inevitable with character reveals in this series. It's always pretty much boiled down to, whether the community wants to admit it or not, people crying about how they didn't get exactly what they wanted, as if Sakurai has to cater to their wishes specifically.

I've never cared for Minecraft myself and so this reveal does not excite me in the slightest, but Steve getting into Smash isn't something I think is worth getting upset about either. Nor is any character that I'm not in to.

Reminder: don't blame the game for having kids playing it. There's kids playing TONS of popular games. Developers can't control who plays their game, despite the ESRB and PEGI rating systems existing. There's kids playing Smash as you read this. Hell, there were two kids about 5-6 years old talking about Smash at my local dog park a few weeks ago. In my opinion, the wider the age range of players playing the game, the better. That proves the devs have made a great game that everyone can enjoy.

Last edited:
I've been playing Smash for a while, and I can't wait to see how Steve's building gimmick works in battle. The fact that they had to rework every single stage to work with his blocks is pretty impressive.
And I agree with you. Just because a game is popular with kids doesn't mean it's a bad game. In fact, I think it's great that games like Minecraft and Smash have such a wide range of players, young and old. Speaking of Minecraft, have you ever tried the True Survival Apocalypse mod? It's pretty intense, but it adds a whole new level of challenge to the game. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, but it's worth checking out if you're up for a challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom