• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve from Minecraft is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

steve.PNG

Today it was confirmed that Steve from Minecraft would be appearing as the seventh DLC character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. In addition, Steve will include alts based on the characters Alex, Enderman, and Zombie from Minecraft. The trailer showed us bits of how moveset including his building gimmick as well as wielding a sword in battle. His explosive Final Smash was also shown where players get attacked by Creepers. For added affect, Steve eats some meat at your opponent is reduced to a cinder. We also saw bits of the Minecraft stage which seems to have seasonal variants and a day and night cycle. Following the reveal trailerSakurai also explained

minecraft.PNG

The trailer showed us bits of how moveset including his building gimmick as well as wielding a sword in battle. His explosive Final Smash was also shown where players get attacked by Creepers. For added affect, Steve eats some meat at your opponent is reduced to a cinder. We also saw bits of the Minecraft stage which seems to have seasonal variants and a day and night cycle. Following the reveal trailer, Sakurai also explained the process of including Steve and how difficult it was to program him. Apparently, they had to rework every single stage to work with his blocks.

You can watch the full trailer here:

Additionally, Sakurai announced that there would be a full in-depth presentation of Steve & Alex on October 3rd at 10:30 am ET.

Author’s Note: What did you think of the character reveal? Let us know in the comments below!

Sari

Comments

Legit didn't see that coming at all, and I wasn't even expecting anything! Nice

Can't wait for Fortnite to get into Smash.

Last edited:
Not really much of a surprise, considering he’s been speculated A LOT. But I digress. Congratulations Minecraft fans!
Since when did speculation mean they're getting in? By that logic we should have Geno.

obligatory "hoes mad" and "y'all seriously didn't see this coming in the context that minecraft is the best selling game of all time and was too big to ignore some sort of representation in smash"
I mean, just cause it's sold extremely well shouldn't mean shoe in. Did take quite a while at that. And was passed up for Banjo and Kazooie in round one which sold significantly less so...

The only reason I didn't want Minecraft in Fighter's Pass 1 was because of the competition with Banjo & Kazooie, my forever most wanteds. Since that already happened last year, I'm totally down for Minecraft. Stage looks great and looks like a conceptually cool character. Pretty hype! (And I've never even played Minecraft.)

Just thought about it but... even though its owned by microsoft these days wasnt steve an indie character? making him the first indie playable character? correct me if im wrong.

Im happy, Im so happy. Minecraft deserved this representation and those who deny it are delusional.
And the moveset tho, we might have the most complicated character since MInmin and Hero here! Cant wait for October 3 ^^
agree on both points

the moveset did make me think of Hero without the RNG. I really appreciate how innovative they have been with the DLC characters

also I have not personally played Minecraft but was a legitimate cultural phenomenon. If smash is by some measure a collection of the most popular franchises in gaming, Minecraft belongs

the character looks so irritating to fight. not excited to see this.

like game and watch animations are hard to read and people had issues with villagers tree being a barrier. have fun with actual walls being built.

the character looks so irritating to fight. not excited to see this.

like game and watch animations are hard to read and people had issues with villagers tree being a barrier. have fun with actual walls being built.
At least he's not based on the gameplay of his Meat Boy version:

This - in my opinion - was my least favorite reveal trailer. Steve looks like a fun character to play, don't get me wrong! But Minecraft isn't my favorite, and Steve just doesn't seem to fit the SSBU vibe. I guess I'll just have to wait to see how he plays!
You preferred FE character number one million to this?

did you want another blue haired swordsman with a down b counter?

I for one am glad the represented a new franchise (especially a popular one) and showcased a very creative moveset

Top Bottom