• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Burton to voice Cloud in Ultimate?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Sorry, but that is a very dumb question to ask right now when the fifth game hasn't even been released yet.
Well, if Cloud doesn't get dubbed in English for Ultimate, I think they would need to do something about that the next game. Especially when Marth, who is famous for speaking Japanese since Melee finally got Yuri Lowenthal voicing him in English. Why should Cloud be the next Marth when he's been dubbed in English for a lot longer? Because of contracts? Do you know what bad contractual obligations could do? Superman's face got ruined in Justice League because Henry Cavill can't shave due to his obligations to his role in Mission Impossible: Fallout, so WB had to CGI Henry's clean shaven lip in the reshoots.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, if Cloud doesn't get dubbed in English for Ultimate, I think they would need to do something about that the next game. Especially when Marth, who is famous for speaking Japanese since Melee finally got Yuri Lowenthal voicing him in English. Why should Cloud be the next Marth when he's been dubbed in English for a lot longer? Because of contracts? Do you know what bad contractual obligations could do? Superman's face got ruined in Justice League because Henry Cavill can't shave due to his obligations to his role in Mission Impossible: Fallout, so WB had to CGI Henry's clean shaven lip in the reshoots.
Cloud speaking Japanese has absolutely no negative effects on the game whatsoever. Takahiro Sakurai's performance as him is perfectly fine and it's not like he engages in dialogue with other characters. If Marth can speak Japanese for ten years with no problem, so does Cloud.

StormC

Smash Hero
Cloud has what, five lines of dialogue total between his taunt, victory animations and Limit Break? I'm really not seeing why anyone should care.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It really shows how hard Nintendo and Square's collaboration is when they can't get Cloud's famous voice actor and the lack of Final Fantasy spirits. And while Marth had the excuse of being a Japanese only character when Melee came out, Cloud just has very strict contracts. There's voice acting in World of Light. Will Cloud be speaking Japanese to an English speaker in a cutscene? Or will he not talk in a cutscene? It would be crazy to see a Cloud and Marth having a bilingual conversation where Cloud was speaking Japanese while Marth speaks English.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It really shows how hard Nintendo and Square's collaboration is when they can't get Cloud's famous voice actor and the lack of Final Fantasy spirits. And while Marth had the excuse of being a Japanese only character when Melee came out, Cloud just has very strict contracts. There's voice acting in World of Light. Will Cloud be speaking Japanese to an English speaker in a cutscene? Or will he not talk in a cutscene? It would be crazy to see a Cloud and Marth having a bilingual conversation where Cloud was speaking Japanese while Marth speaks English.
  1. Steve Burton being part of a union has nothing to do with SE-Nintendo relationship
  2. Ness and Captain Falcon speak English in all languages despite their games being released in more languages than that
  3. Does Cloud even appear in any cutscene at all? I don't think so.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Steve Burton may be part of a union, but a lot of union actors appeared in Smash like Laura Bailey, Anthony Del Rio, David Hayter, Hayden Walch and Marth's new voice actor Yuri Lowenthal. David Hayter was even credited in Brawl as a "Special Guest."

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes, but his contract states that he has to be credited for voicing Cloud.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And how did David Hayter get credited in Brawl? Couldn't they work out a way to get him credited like how David Hayter was?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe? It's not easy in either way.

Is there a personal reason why it's so important to you?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe? It's not easy in either way.

Is there a personal reason why it's so important to you?
Because I've heard Cloud's English voice in Kingdom Hearts for a decade before he got into Smash. And honestly, I find foreign languages weird. I was confused when I first heard Marth's Japanese taunt in an online match in Brawl. And without Steve Burton's voice, I wouldn't hear Cloud's funniest battle quote from Kingdom Hearts: "MOVE!" I always found it weird how he keeps shouting "MOVE!" when attacking Sora. Though, his Sonic Blade attack wasn't included in Smash. Eh, lame battle cry anyway. While I got that Marth spoke Japanese because his games weren't dubbed in English yet, hearing Cloud in Japanese when I'm used to his English voice felt so weird to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because I've heard Cloud's English voice in Kingdom Hearts for a decade before he got into Smash. And honestly, I find foreign languages weird. I was confused when I first heard Marth's Japanese taunt in an online match in Brawl. And without Steve Burton's voice, I wouldn't hear Cloud's funniest battle quote from Kingdom Hearts: "MOVE!" I always found it weird how he keeps shouting "MOVE!" when attacking Sora. Though, his Sonic Blade attack wasn't included in Smash. Eh, lame battle cry anyway. While I got that Marth spoke Japanese because his games weren't dubbed in English yet, hearing Cloud in Japanese when I'm used to his English voice felt so weird to me.
Eh, can't relate at all but I can get it, I guess.

Though finding foreign languages weird is kinda weird.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean you really shouldnt complain i mean im german and we get far less dubbing in smash
the only ones that are dubbed are Sonic and Pokemon(which is a complete necesity)
i for example think Lifelight shouldve been either just japanese or dubbed in multiple Languases

atleat german BOTW Zelda sounds far better (she sound really old in english)

Top Bottom