• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Burton to voice Cloud in Ultimate?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So Sakurai has revealed that longtime japanese speaking fighter Marth will finally be dubbed in English. Could Roy and Cloud get dubbed too? Well while the reason the two Fire Emblem characters spoke Japanese was because Fire Emblem was only released in Japan at the time of Melee, but the reason Cloud was speaking Japanese in SSB4 was complications with Steve Burton's contract as a union actor. If they can't get Cloud's English voice, what was the point of point him in Super Smash Bros exactly? The mainstream Final Fantasy games he's been in were Playstation exclusive and the only games on Nintendo consoles he's been in were Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts Re: coded, and Theatrhythm. Not to mention his debut game was when Square was against Nintendo. Well, since Marth is now speaking English, and everyone including Cloud has made it back into Ultimate, I sure hope they found a way to get Steve Burton to voice Cloud.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If they can't get Cloud's English voice, what was the point of point him in Super Smash Bros exactly? The mainstream Final Fantasy games he's been in were Playstation exclusive and the only games on Nintendo consoles he's been in were Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts Re:coded, and Theatrhythm. Not to mention his debut game was when Square was against Nintendo.
Because he's an insanely well known character and the most popular among Final Fantasy fans. What does not having his English voice have to do with why he should or should not be in the game?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Because he's an insanely well known character and the most popular among Final Fantasy fans. What does not having his English voice have to do with why he should or should not be in the game?
There are a lot of other characters to choose from for DLC that don't have problems with the English voice. Marth and Roy speaking Japanese was excusable because the Fire Emblem series was only released in Japan at the time of Melee and they were even thinking of cutting Marth and Roy from the English version. But Final Fantasy VII was released in America almost two decades before Cloud made it into Smash, so all of his fans are more familiar with Steve Burton's performance, hearing him speak Japanese was weird.

StormC

Smash Hero
There are a lot of other characters to choose from for DLC that don't have problems with the English voice. Marth and Roy speaking Japanese was excusable because the Fire Emblem series was only released in Japan at the time of Melee and they were even thinking of cutting Marth and Roy from the English version. But Final Fantasy VII was released in America almost two decades before Cloud made it into Smash, so all of his fans are more familiar with Steve Burton's performance, hearing him speak Japanese was weird.
If it was between having the character with only his Japanese voice or not having the character at all I'd bet 99.9% of people would pick the former.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Many people thought he had no chance in Smash, with a few people mad that he's in because he was more of a Sony character. When he was announced, people thought he was the Ballot winner. And his stage only came with two songs and unlike the other third-party DLC characters, the only trophies he came with were his Classic, Alt and All-Star trophies. Ryu came with Ken and Bayonetta had Jeanne, Rodin, Original Bayo and Cereza. And Both Ryu and Bayonetta speak English, so it almost feels lazy how they put Cloud in. Sakurai even stated that he could have used Bartz Klauser or Terra Branford who both debuted on the Super Famicom but felt that Cloud was the better Final Fantasy representative. And if they chosen Bartz, the Japanese would have fit with Marth and Roy's standard because Final Fantasy V wasn't released in America until six years later as a Playstation port.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Personally I think an easy option is to recycle his voice clips from Dissidia NT. But again there are unions in place so I don't what would happen. The E3 build does still have him "Genkai Wo Koeru"ing so its probably not happening.

One thing I'm curious about is Lucina since Laura Bailey is now a union actress. Will they recycle her existing clips or will they have Alexis Tipton record new lines. Also since Marth now has an english voice I wonder if we'll get the option for dual audio.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Personally I think an easy option is to recycle his voice clips from Dissidia NT. But again there are unions in place so I don't what would happen. The E3 build does still have him "Genkai Wo Koeru"ing so its probably not happening.

One thing I'm curious about is Lucina since Laura Bailey is now a union actress. Will they recycle her existing clips or will they have Alexis Tipton record new lines. Also since Marth now has an english voice I wonder if we'll get the option for dual audio.
Well, they recorded new lines for Ike. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucina had some sort of new lines as well. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded Alexis just repeating Laura's old lines. I doubt she needed anything new.

In regards to the dual audio thing, you won't get it. Turn your Switch language settings to Japanese. That's the only way to do it.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, for Laura Bailey's role of Lucina, she could just go uncredited. That was how Antony Del Rio voiced Pit and Hyndan Walch voiced Viridi in Smash 4. Steve Burton can't go uncredited because of the terms of his contract with Square Enix.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It’s pretty likely that Ray Chase will be voicing Roy, but I’m not too sure about Steve Burton because of the union thing. Maybe they could get a new voice actor? Though I’m not sure who it would be. I just need to hear “Not interested.” It’s not Cloud without that line.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, they recorded new lines for Ike. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucina had some sort of new lines as well. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded Alexis just repeating Laura's old lines. I doubt she needed anything new.

In regards to the dual audio thing, you won't get it. Turn your Switch language settings to Japanese. That's the only way to do it.
She needs her special victory quotes redone. She's way too sassy. I mean, it's nice having someone talk down to Ike for once, but it seems out of character.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, for Laura Bailey's role of Lucina, she could just go uncredited. That was how Antony Del Rio voiced Pit and Hyndan Walch voiced Viridi in Smash 4. Steve Burton can't go uncredited because of the terms of his contract with Square Enix.
Uncredited, go under an alias, or work something out with the Union (like Snake's VA in Brawl.) It isn't impossible if all parties involved are willing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is it that weird one character speaking Japanese. I mean, in Japanese version of the game multiple characters only have English voice lines.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Is it that weird one character speaking Japanese. I mean, in Japanese version of the game multiple characters only have English voice lines.
It is odd for some fans when it is a gaming icon who has an official current voice actor.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It is odd for some fans when it is a gaming icon who has an official current voice actor.
Even though voice actor in question has perfectly reasonable real world issues preventing him to lend his performance?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Even though voice actor in question has perfectly reasonable real world issues preventing him to lend his performance?
The thing is that he actually wanted to voice Cloud in Smash. On twitter he said he wasn't asked but he hoped he would be [Edit: This was in 2015 before the DLC for Smash 4 released, not in response to a question about Smash: Ultimate.]
So I imagine if it is because of unions and talent agencies that a work around could be made (like Snake, Pit, and Viridi. or some other way like with Jigglypuff reusing voice lines.) TBH I just think they didn't want to bothered with it too much for the DLC because they were also trying to make them profitable- playable characters in fighting games are expensive to make and that is before licensing fees and the legal costs. I feel like that is partly why we didn't get much music from FE in Smash.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, Burton's contract says he needs to be credited and the union actors have to be uncredited to work on non-union projects. That's what the problem is.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Could Burton use a pseudonym? Or they could reuse voice clips from one of the Dissidia games.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Could Burton use a pseudonym? Or they could reuse voice clips from one of the Dissidia games.
I don't know too much about unions, but I would think that his contract would specify that he must be credited in name. Even if they reused Dissidia voice clips, he still would need to be credited for his prior work.

For Ultimate, the best outcome is to hire a non-union "soundalike" for the English voiceover. There have been roles that have survived their original voice actors which have necessitated the need to recast from time to time. Some of these sound eerily similar to the original.

It's unfortunate that all parties can't come to an agreement to allow Steve Burton to voice Cloud for this. Hearing him say "Ready my limit" in Dissidia was lots of fun.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, Burton's contract says he needs to be credited and the union actors have to be uncredited to work on non-union projects. That's what the problem is.
Thought it was just speculation what the issue is. We don't know for certain.
And like I said, other VA's with similar issues found workarounds to work on Smash. They actually came to an agreement with David Hayter and his Union/talent group. Antony Del Rio (Pit and Dark Pit) as well as Hyden Walch (Viridi) Decided to go uncredited/use pseudonyms to work on Smash and go around the Union/talent agency rules. Palutena's normal voice actress Ali Hillis was tied up in previous engagements/work so they got a sound-a-like. Jigglypuff uses old voice clips from Rachael Lillis likely due to the change of the English dubbing rights to the anime being switched over from 4kids. I believe it also made it so the previous English voice actors all had contracts where they couldn't work out-of-studios so they had to be replaced.

If they wanted to, they could attempt a workaround. But it really depends on what is actually stopping them.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Palutena's normal voice actress Ali Hillis was tied up in previous engagements/work so they got a sound-a-like.
Not only this, but Brandy Kopp was actually Hillis’ best friend and was personally recommended by her.

Is it possible something similar could happen if Steve Burton is still unable to voice Cloud?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, when the Fire Emblem characters are all speaking English, Cloud speaking Japanese just seems weirder.

nayerweeb

Smash Rookie
Nah dude, his japanese voice is better imo. Also, what does Fire Emblem characters speaking English have to do with Cloud?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Nah dude, his japanese voice is better imo. Also, what does Fire Emblem characters speaking English have to do with Cloud?
Because they are the only other fighters speaking japanese in previous games. The reason for Marth and Roy speaking Japanese was because Fire Emblem had not been dubbed in English at the time they debuted in Melee. Steve Burton was known as the voice of Cloud for nearly two decades before Cloud came to Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. Even Disney fans have heard Cloud's English voice in Kingdom Hearts. It's so weird to hear him speak Japanese. If they couln't get Steve Burton to voice him, they should have gotten a voice actor who sounds like him or they should have cancelled the plans to include Cloud as DLC for Smash 4. If you like his japanese voice, good. But I think the characters should speak English in the North American game and have other languages like Japanese in the language settings.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Why is the voice work for Smash non-union anyway? I mean, it's not like the game is niche, like some anime and games out there.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Why is the voice work for Smash non-union anyway? I mean, it's not like the game is niche, like some anime and games out there.
I ask myself the same thing. Could it be possible to get a new voice actor for Cloud?

Also, off-topic; I wonder if all the voice actors in Soul Calibur 2 decided to use pseudonyms for some reason as none has ever been able to find them.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There's got to be a way to get Steve Burton in. Why did his contract make it so that he can't be uncredited? Is there a way for a project to mix union and non-union actors and have everybody credited? Because it really doesn't seem fair for a major crossover game like Smash. I mean, if it was just an indie project with completely original characters that doesn't have the budget for A-list actors or don't want audiences to be distracted by them, I would understand it being non-union. But in a game that combines so many video game characters and tries to be true to the source material, they gotta have access to the voices.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
well...you’ll get em next time

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
It's a crime that Steve Burton can't voice Cloud again for Smash, but on a positive note we can look forward to the Smash mods giving us English Cloud again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If they can't get Steve Burton in Smash 6, then they would have to cut Cloud.
Nope, they don't. It's petty and unnecessary.

Though, it would be hard to bring Cloud back a third time anyway.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If they can't get Steve Burton in Smash 6, then they would have to cut Cloud.
This is gotta be one of the silliest reasons to cut a character. There is just so much wrong with this logic.

Without indulging too much into this kind of reasoning, I just want to add that Sakurai has no influence on the voice casting outside of Japan. That is a job that is up to the regions' respective branches. He did what he had to do by bringing Takahiro Sakurai onboard to voice Cloud. He does not decide who voices who in other languages.

But hey, make sure to give Sakurai your phone number so that he can keep you on speed dial and ask for your approval to readd Cloud when the time comes.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe Sakurai should make sure that Cloud gets dubbed in all languages before confirming him? If Marth and Roy speak English now, Cloud's gotta speak English. All characters who speak Japanese in Sakurai's version should speak English in the localized version or whatever language the game is set to. If Nintendo of America can't get Steve Burton or a soundalike, and they wanted all fluent speaking characters to be speaking English, they may have to tell Sakurai about the dubbing difficulties. While Smash 4 already had Marth and Roy speaking Japanese and Ultimate needed Cloud for the Everyone is Here tagline, there probably won't be a good reason for Smash 6 to put Cloud in the game without an English voice because Marth and Roy are now voiced by Yuri Lowenthal and Ray Chase respectively and there probably won't be an incentive to get everyone in the game after Ultimate. It would be great fanservice to bring Cloud back, but it would be a greater fanservice to have him voiced by Steve Burton and add more Final Fantasy-related stuff. If they can't add anything more to Cloud, they'd might as well cut him. It was tough to renegotiate everyone back for Ultimate. I highly doubt they would prioritize the veterans like that again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Sakurai should make sure that Cloud gets dubbed in all languages before confirming him? If Marth and Roy speak English now, Cloud's gotta speak English. All characters who speak Japanese in Sakurai's version should speak English in the localized version or whatever language the game is set to. If Nintendo of America can't get Steve Burton or a soundalike, and they wanted all fluent speaking characters to be speaking English, they may have to tell Sakurai about the dubbing difficulties. While Smash 4 already had Marth and Roy speaking Japanese and Ultimate needed Cloud for the Everyone is Here tagline, there probably won't be a good reason for Smash 6 to put Cloud in the game without an English voice because Marth and Roy are now voiced by Yuri Lowenthal and Ray Chase respectively and there probably won't be an incentive to get everyone in the game after Ultimate. It would be great fanservice to bring Cloud back, but it would be a greater fanservice to have him voiced by Steve Burton and add more Final Fantasy-related stuff. If they can't add anything more to Cloud, they'd might as well cut him. It was tough to renegotiate everyone back for Ultimate. I highly doubt they would prioritize the veterans like that again.
Just because the fanservice isn't enough for you, you think there shouldn't be any fanservice? This is pretty childish, not everything has to be to your liking.

EDIT: Also your comment implies a franchise has to pass a threshold to stay in Smash, which means content from stuff like Ice Climbers or Electroplankton or most Spirits should be cut, which wouldn't be nice, either.

Maybe because my first language isn't English, but why a character speaking a language other than that bothers you so much?

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It's not that a character is speaking a foreign language. It's that Cloud has had an English voice since Kingdom Hearts. That is 13 years before his arrival as Smash 4 DLC. Marth and Roy who have been speaking Japanese since Melee are now voiced in English. If they can't dub Cloud, what is the point of giving Marth and Roy their English voices or making new language settings? And Marth's new voice actor is union!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cloud has nothing to do with Marth and Roy, though. Anyway, I don't intent to continue this argument, it's going nowhere.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
That's not Sakurai's job. That's the job of the translating team for the respecting region. Confirming if a character will be voiced in all languages the game will ship in before adding him/her would be absurd. Anyone who goes to Nintendo suggesting that will probably be laughed at.

Sakurai got Takahiro Sakurai to voice Cloud, as one would expect. He shouldn't be casting VA for other regions.
And FYI: Sakurai didn't recast Marth and Roy in English, that was NoA. What Sakurai did was have their japanese VA record new lines for them, nothing more.

The condition you propose for Clouds inclusion is silly. No self respecting publisher or developer will ever take that seriously. Not having a VA available to voice a character in one language is not a good excuse to deter Nintendo from adding a character in Smash. Besides, I'll have you know that there are languages other than English.

And removing Cloud because they can't get more FF content is just as ridiculous. That all or nothing mentality does more harm than good. Thank goodness the dev team isn't as shortsighted.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sorry, but that is a very dumb question to ask right now when the fifth game hasn't even been released yet.

Top Bottom