• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve...(2) And BAN?!?!?!

mbit99

Smash Rookie
Okay, few years ago, I did ask for players' opinion on Steve in this thread below...

One of you guys said, he wasn't OP... and his mining process needs time, and to have such time to breathe is just a luxury in this game, on the competitive side...(refers to one of the comments there)

Edit: and somehow, fast forward to today, my hunch turned to be right... he became so OP that some players need to practice and adapt the counterplay...

But what attracts my attention on this one particular character is now, people start to go with the "controversy talk" because Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman starts to be showing more in matches than ever this year...

But what catches my attention the most, is... the said talk leads to some tournaments banned Steve outright from the tournaments, for now, and its info even spread so much in youtube that... I am quite speechless about it...

May I ask, why some of the players decide to go, "REEEEE!!! STEVE IS TOO DAMN OP RIGHT NOW!!! REEEE!!!!! BAN HIM!!! REEE!!!" or something like that? Is there any clear reasoning behind this BanSteve move that I heard in youtube and even the hashtag was existing in the twitter right now????

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm not exactly the most well-versed on the controversy, but from what I gather, a lot of lower-level players have been sweeping higher-level players with Steve (which mainly started getting noticed with Acola's win). This has led to concerns that Steve's "broken" qualities will lead to a power inbalance within tournaments, which has led to the #BanSteve movement.

If I can get my two cents in on this, I think that most of the time, banning characters is kinda silly unless said characters are insanely broken or weren't meant for a fair fight, like Brawl Meta Knight or Akuma in Super Street Fighter II Turbo. I don't wanna say "git gud lol" or anything like that, but I think it's way too early in the game to start unironically banning Steve (yes he was released nearly two years ago, but covid set his competitive scene back quite a bit).

Nah

Smash Champion
I don't personally care to get in on the whole "is Steve broken", "should we ban Steve" bit, as my interest in competitive Smash is low at this point and I was never the best person to talk about competitive Smash anyway, but a couple of things I maybe can comment on:

"Players needing to learn the matchup and adapt" is....really not an unusual thing nor a sign of something being OP, that's just how fighting goes. If you don't know how to beat your opponent you naturally have a harder time at it.

Then there's the whole "lower level players beating better ones". There's this kind of weird thing in the community where certain players are basically always expected to beat players perceived to be "lesser" than them, but in reality you never have a 100% success rate. And more than that, if you can be successful to any degree at top-level play, you're still better than the vast majority of players in this game. The difference between people like Acola and Onin compared to people like MKLeo and Dabuz is less than some may want to think.

or something anyway, this is drunk girl hours rn

Top Bottom