• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steel Thy Shovel! Shovel Knight Support Thread!

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I have wanted Shovel Knight in Smash Bros. for a while now. It would be so fun to play as him. With a game that already has many sword characters, fighting with a shovel is refreshing; it is also zany and perfectly fits the world of Nintendo. At the very least, Shovel Knight being an assist trophy is an acknowledgement that he indeed has a large and growing fanbase. I encourage you fellas to stay positive and keep posting about the potential of Shovel Knight in Smash; this shiny warrior has a bright future ahead of him and he has a good chance to make it in a future Smash Bros. game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just a reminder that the final Shovel Knight DLC comes out today, along with the amiibos.

I've only got the game on the Wii U at the moment, so I hope that the update goes smoothly for that console.

EDIT: I've played a bit of Shovel Knight Showdown. I like that there are alternative methods for unlocking everything - either do something in gameplay or play a certain amount of time in multiplayer, with matches against computer players counting towards that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
With being the king of indies I feel like this thread deserves more posts.

Count me in as a supporter!!!

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Hey lads! I'm Chief Gamers, I run the Shovel Knight for Smash twitter... And the campaign in general at this point I guess! I've wanted Shovel Knight in Smash since I first played his game waaaaay back in July 2014. The assist trophy was a major bummer to me, but the idea that they can never be upgraded in the same game is silly and unproven. Plus, spirit promotions are already a thing and those require way more work than an AT to upgrade (which already has a base model + animations to work with), so we can't give up hope! That was the whole message of the game, right? Anyways yadda yadda pledging my support, and remember to keep shoveling!

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Maybe this has been discussed but what do y'all think Shovel Knights final smash would be?
I've seen some people say Shield Knight would be a fun one. I also like the idea of the Troupple King and his many Troupples being summoned. Personally I had the idea of Shovel Knight sending his opponents to the Plains of Passage in 8 bit form to be wailed on by the Order. Might be difficult to make an 8 bit sprite for everyone who appeared after the NES, but I know Mario Maker has a bunch of sprites they could possibly work with. I dunno, just an idea I thought was fun.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I see that the sprites for Shovel Knight Showdown have been ripped, so I think I'm going to try making Mugen characters out of them. While I figure it will go like my other attempts at doing anything Mugen related (I'll get a few done, lose momentum, and move on to something else), it seems simple enough (no potentially complex mechanics like the One Piece characters have), so it could be doable.

In addition to the twenty playable characters, along with Kratos and Rash, I was thinking about making a Nintendo character since the Nintendo versions never got an exclusive boss fight like the Sony and Xbox/PC versions did. I'm torn between Link from Zelda 2 (seeing as his sword bounce was part of the inspiration for Shovel Knight, though I'd likely have to give him items from Zelda 1 to expand his options), Wario from Wario Land 2 and 3 (given his greed, which would tie him in given Shovel Knight's treasure hunting), or Mario from Super Mario Bros. 3 (because it's Mario), though maybe someone else would make more sense.

Last edited:

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Ay glad to see this place active again. In terms of third party assist trophies Shovel Knight is easily at the top of the most likely to be promoted for sure
Agreed to both statements!

In addition to the twenty playable characters, along with Kratos and Rash, I was thinking about making a Nintendo character since the Nintendo versions never got an exclusive boss fight like the Sony and Xbox/PC versions did. I'm torn between Link from Zelda 2 (seeing as his sword bounce was part of the inspiration for Shovel Knight, though I'd likely have to give him items from Zelda 1 to expand his options), Wario from Wario Land 2 and 3 (given his greed, which would tie him in given Shovel Knight's treasure hunting), or Mario from Super Mario Bros. 3 (because it's Mario), though maybe someone else would make more sense.
Personally I always thought Link would work best due to both his Sword Drop inspiring SK as a whole and also Zelda fitting in with that "Fantasy Medieval" setting of SK. Although another good fit would be Meta Knight since, y'know, knights

Last edited by a moderator:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Dropping in to say that I'd love to see the blue boy in Smash. Though I never got around to finishing the Plague Knight Campaign I loved the other three, especially King Knight's. It's hard to post around here too much given his Assist Trophy, but there's solace in knowing that Shovel Knight will once day have a sequel, and kinda become a proper indie franchise - not just a one-off. That could give him the staying power he needs to be included one day, which makes me glad as he'd fit like a glove :4miibrawl:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Nintendo characters showing up in Shovel Knight, bit of a dark horse choice but think Pit popping up in a form crossing his 8 bit appearances with a few abilities from Uprising would be pretty amusing.

Doubly so if after being Pit's defeat there was a non-voiced cutscene of Palutena and Viridi complimenting Shovel Knight to Pit's chagrin.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair, he did get the first third-party amiibo, so that's something, at least.
Dropping in to say that I'd love to see the blue boy in Smash. Though I never got around to finishing the Plague Knight Campaign I loved the other three, especially King Knight's. It's hard to post around here too much given his Assist Trophy, but there's solace in knowing that Shovel Knight will once day have a sequel, and kinda become a proper indie franchise - not just a one-off. That could give him the staying power he needs to be included one day, which makes me glad as he'd fit like a glove :4miibrawl:
Agreed, King or Cards is the best campaign. Specter Knight was more fun for me, but King Knight's campaign had more content that was divied up more conveniently, and the presentation gives him the edge.

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
There's been rumblings of a Smash Reveal soon. While I'm not going to say SK is a lock or anything (Though I still believe him to have good chances), I'm personally hoping the next fighter is an Assist Trophy promotion. It'd be nice to have that fan rule broken and maybe see the SK Supporter base wake back up. Until then though, fingers crossed, hope everyone in here is still shoveling. I'm still not too sure how people usually talk around here but I will ask:

If Shovel Knight got in to Ultimate, do you think they'd include a spirit/track/something from Dig and Pocket Dungeon? Or just keep it solely Treasure Trove focused?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's been rumblings of a Smash Reveal soon. While I'm not going to say SK is a lock or anything (Though I still believe him to have good chances), I'm personally hoping the next fighter is an Assist Trophy promotion. It'd be nice to have that fan rule broken and maybe see the SK Supporter base wake back up. Until then though, fingers crossed, hope everyone in here is still shoveling. I'm still not too sure how people usually talk around here but I will ask:

If Shovel Knight got in to Ultimate, do you think they'd include a spirit/track/something from Dig and Pocket Dungeon? Or just keep it solely Treasure Trove focused?
Funny, I've been predicting Isaac for CP7. The guys seems like a first-party Banjo, just trade the console competitor owner for snowglobe hell. While I can see why Min Min might cause some to think ATs are down and out, I feel that we can't say for certain just yet, seeing as they weren't cited as the reason why Min Min was chosen.

On a separate note, I think they'd probably focus on the original Treasure Trove campaigns, seeing as the other two haven't released yet.

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Funny, I've been predicting Isaac for CP7. The guys seems like a first-party Banjo, just trade the console competitor owner for snowglobe hell. While I can see why Min Min might cause some to think ATs are down and out, I feel that we can't say for certain just yet, seeing as they weren't cited as the reason why Min Min was chosen.

On a separate note, I think they'd probably focus on the original Treasure Trove campaigns, seeing as the other two haven't released yet.
Hey Isaac works too, whatever breaks the fan rule is good in my book. I'm just hoping it's not a one and done AT promotion, same with Spirits. I don't see why they'd only promote one spirit and one AT when there's still plenty (like Shovel Knight and Rayman) that folks want to see promoted.

And true true, though depending on when they release + SK gets added, I could see them throwing in a Drill or Puzzle Knight spirit or something. Might just be wishful thinking though.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Do y'all have a most wanted song for when Shovel knight gets in?

Plains of passage is obvious for me but I'd also adore Lich Yard and the theme from Mole Knight's stage!

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Do y'all have a most wanted song for when Shovel knight gets in?

Plains of passage is obvious for me but I'd also adore Lich Yard and the theme from Mole Knight's stage!
From each game:
Shovel of Hope: The Defender (also The Betrayer)
Plague of Shadows: ALCHEMY
Specter of Torment: Incompleto Sin Ti
King of Cards: Crosswise Crosswinds (with Buzz in the Grotto as a close second)
Showdown: War in the Mirror
And then maybe Mushroom Mines from Dig and another song from Pocket Dungeon depending on if they're out/close to release by then

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've written a moveset for Shovel Knight for the game Fraymakers - I assume that it would work for Smash as well, though I borrowed pretty heavily from games like Rivals of Aether and Indie Pogo. (part of it's coincidental - if I had deliberately tried to avoid what those games had included, then there wouldn't be many options left)

It's a Smash-like game with indie characters, so it's worth keeping an eye on in case Shovel Knight actually does make it in there - I'm surprised that he isn't already, seeing as it seems like any indie crossover there basically has to include him.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've written a moveset for Shovel Knight for the game Fraymakers - I assume that it would work for Smash as well, though I borrowed pretty heavily from games like Rivals of Aether and Indie Pogo. (part of it's coincidental - if I had deliberately tried to avoid what those games had included, then there wouldn't be many options left)

It's a Smash-like game with indie characters, so it's worth keeping an eye on in case Shovel Knight actually does make it in there - I'm surprised that he isn't already, seeing as it seems like any indie crossover there basically has to include him.
I think that Fraymakers is specifically going after anyone that's not a super-recognizable, widely-known indie character, especially with assists for characters that don't have their own games released yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got someone like Brick from Starr Mazer as a DLC character, for instance.

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Anyone going to Arby's anytime soon?

We are ABSOLUTELY going to Arby's.

Also how are people gonna look at the fact that SK has 5 amiibos, multiple crossovers with TRIPLE A games, and now toys from a fast food chain and say he "has no legacy and can't be playable in Smash?" Our boy's going places, and I think the Smash roster is one of them.

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
I'll just patiently wait for Dig and Pocket Dungeon to safely come out before assuming that he's viable. That's the only way to ensure that he won't be a passing fad in the eyes of people.
I feel like the fact that he's still a pretty big name that gets plenty of big crossovers after 7 years and just snagged a tie in with a pretty big fast food company should establish he's more than a passing fad.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Shovel Knight is Definitely a bit name on the indie scene. I just feel like they're gonna take their time with Shovel Knight 2 (or whatever comes next) to make it the best it can be!

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
Posted this to the Twitter the other day, figured I'd share it here too. I made a mock up (using only Shovel Knight assets btw) of what Shovel Knight could bring to Smash like spirits, music, costumes, etc. What do you guys think? Anything you'd specifically like to see our Blue Burrower bring?

Paraster

Smash Lord
Posted this to the Twitter the other day, figured I'd share it here too. I made a mock up (using only Shovel Knight assets btw) of what Shovel Knight could bring to Smash like spirits, music, costumes, etc. What do you guys think? Anything you'd specifically like to see our Blue Burrower bring?
The only criticism I have is that I think the alts rely too much on different models with the same color schemes. Having half his alts be blue really cuts down on color variety and I'm not sure if the dev team would spring for four additional models.

Aside from that, this is a pretty good lineup, balancing what one would like in with how much content would realistically be added. I'm particularly fond of the stage being the Tower of Fate.

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
The only criticism I have is that I think the alts rely too much on different models with the same color schemes. Having half his alts be blue really cuts down on color variety and I'm not sure if the dev team would spring for four additional models.

Aside from that, this is a pretty good lineup, balancing what one would like in with how much content would realistically be added. I'm particularly fond of the stage being the Tower of Fate.
Fair, Female SK I feel has to be tacked on but stuff like Baron and Fish Head I just personally really want.
I'm still hoping for a Bomberman situation. Doesn't seem like a big ask imo
I'm hoping for a Lil Mac situation where they make him a playable fighter, the only difference being it happens in the same game for once lmao

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hi there !

SK Treasure Trove is a game I loved playing through , truly , it's one of these 2D platformers Iv'e played in a while.

Due to that , I decided to make a full moveset and fighter pack for him , enjoy~

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
So there's apparently a new hitbox glitch going around where the arrows sometimes pass through the heads of certain characters, smaller ones it seems (e.g. Lucas and Jigglypuff). This is a big stretch but a lot of people are saying this might be for the next DLC character since glitches sometimes arise when one character is being used as a base for another, so I had a thought and posted this on the Twitter account the other day. Massive stretch but...

Hi there !

SK Treasure Trove is a game I loved playing through , truly , it's one of these 2D platformers Iv'e played in a while.

Due to that , I decided to make a full moveset and fighter pack for him , enjoy~

Also hot dang that's some good stuff right there, glad to see a fellow "Tower-Of-Fate-Should-Be-Shovel-Knight's-Stage" chad

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So there's apparently a new hitbox glitch going around where the arrows sometimes pass through the heads of certain characters, smaller ones it seems (e.g. Lucas and Jigglypuff). This is a big stretch but a lot of people are saying this might be for the next DLC character since glitches sometimes arise when one character is being used as a base for another, so I had a thought and posted this on the Twitter account the other day. Massive stretch but...

Also hot dang that's some good stuff right there, glad to see a fellow "Tower-Of-Fate-Should-Be-Shovel-Knight's-Stage" chad
That'd be a funny idea, but wouldn't they already be in the Z-Axis? I'd imagine they could just use that and not have to fiddle around with the rules of projectiles. I'd get an example of such a think, but I'm honestly not sure who to use. It's early morning, and my brain doesn't feel like racking itself for info.

Top Bottom