• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steel Thy Shovel! Shovel Knight Support Thread!

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Supporting him for sure! Fingers crossed for a very unlikely reveal of him, Shantae and/or Travis Touchdown at the Nindies showcase on Tuesday.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We're in another Cloud situation where all we thought we knew has been tossed out the window, in this case, that Nintendo would wait until E3 to announce Smash Switch.

So for all we know it could happen, especially considering that this is the first Smash since Brawl to not debut with a 3rd party announcement.

Though it could be Shantae or Quote or Commander Video just as easily.

D

Deleted member

Finally found this thread! Support.

Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, and Splatoon were the big highlights of my Wii U career, and I'd love to see them all in Smash together moving forward on Nintendo Switch.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
If I had to make a list of my favorite games... Shovel Knight would definitely be top 5, which is saying a lot since I usually don’t dig platformers.

I don’t see him as incredibly likely, or even a little bit likely, but if there’s any chance at all that Shovel Knight might make it into Smash, I’m supporting the hell out of it!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
took me a while to find this thread

definately support

better chance this time especially since his game was the near in the very first ones on the switch

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So would you want SK's stage to be 8-bit and continue in having the look of his games as it's graphical style is intentional homage to NES games, or would you like to see the stage and iconic stuff from Shovel Knight in HD 3d graphics?

D

Deleted member

So would you want SK's stage to be 8-bit and continue in having the look of his games as it's graphical style is intentional homage to NES games, or would you like to see the stage and iconic stuff from Shovel Knight in HD 3d graphics?
I'd rather have 3D Shovel Knight.
I mean they didn't keep Duck Hunt in 8-bit despite originating from an 8-bit game.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I support. I think his chances are even higher now that he has an amiibo

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
In regards to Indie characters Shovel Knight is probably among the few I could consider having much of chance.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im tiny bit bias against him, but I disagree somewhat the amiibo gives him a chance or at least as much as some people view it as?

I found an interview of how the amiibo came to be and it showed Nintendo went to Yacht Club Games to show them the 3DS's specs and stuff and when YCG heard about amiibo functionality and that Nintendo told them they would be allowing third parties to make amiibo, YCG then asked to be able to make a Shovel Knight amiibo, they had to do it themselves, with Nintendo to check back on for what seemed like basically supervision, going through something with another company to help in designing the amiibo.

But thats me, why do you all see the amiibo as a boost?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Im tiny bit bias against him, but I disagree somewhat the amiibo gives him a chance or at least as much as some people view it as?

I found an interview of how the amiibo came to be and it showed Nintendo went to Yacht Club Games to show them the 3DS's specs and stuff and when YCG heard about amiibo functionality and that Nintendo told them they would be allowing third parties to make amiibo, YCG then asked to be able to make a Shovel Knight amiibo, they had to do it themselves, with Nintendo to check back on for what seemed like basically supervision, going through something with another company to help in designing the amiibo.

But thats me, why do you all see the amiibo as a boost?
Probably under two assumptions:

1) Not knowing how 3rd party amiibo are or are not approved by Nintendo.

2) That fact very few 3rd parties do, especially indies.

That's enough to leave an assumption of a connection whether there actually is or not.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
If there is a character to represent Indie-games, it's Shovel Knight. His design is fantastic, his weapon is unique and his moveset potential is huge.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
While I do support Shovel Knight I think as a character who is also third party he's still a bit too new in terms of just existing to deserve a spot in Smash just yet.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
While I do support Shovel Knight I think as a character who is also third party he's still a bit too new in terms of just existing to deserve a spot in Smash just yet.
Roy's game wasn't even out when he appeared in Melee. I don't see how recentness is a problem.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Roy's game wasn't even out when he appeared in Melee. I don't see how recentness is a problem.
Yes, but Roy is apart of the Fire Emblem franchise which has been around since the NES era. Shovel Knight as a serie has existed since June of 2014.

Roy is also a 1st Party Nintendo character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While she's an unusual case (since she got in through a fan vote), Bayonetta's franchise didn't exist until 2009.

If there's enough support for him (especially through the Smash Ballot), and Sakurai likes the idea (and can get in contact with Yacht Club Games, though seeing as Suda51 pulled it off, I don't see why he couldn't), it could potentially happen.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
While she's an unusual case (since she got in through a fan vote), Bayonetta's franchise didn't exist until 2009.

If there's enough support for him (especially through the Smash Ballot), and Sakurai likes the idea (and can get in contact with Yacht Club Games, though seeing as Suda51 pulled it off, I don't see why he couldn't), it could potentially happen.
True but Bayonetta, at least at this point is...a weird character in terms of her games cause they all basically now EXCLUSIVE to Nintendo. There's also the fact she is far more recognizable compared to SK.

Still SK could happen, I just think he needs a few more years and another game, cause the expansions are kind of new game and kind of not, more like different campaigns to the same game, like Tails and Knuckles in Sonic Mania I think?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
that DB was BULL!!! Shovel Knight would've won due to his Alchemy Coin, and His ability to Reflect ANY attack with his shovel, INCLUDING Ray Blasts.
Death Battle tends to have questionable logic when it comes to determining the winner. Some of it comes from the fact that fictional universes are wildly different from each other, and many of them have their own rules that don't easily interact with others, but some characters (like Scrooge McDuck in this case) have way more material to draw from (even if the feats are questionable), and other times, they put more or less emphasis on certain feats depending on how they want the fight to go.

Take Dante vs. Bayonetta or Bowser vs. Ganondorf for example, where they said that Ganondorf would win due to a poorly-defined "killing curse", or that Dante wins because Bayonetta was caught off-guard once (while ignoring that the same sort of thing happened to Dante).

D

Deleted member

As much as I like ol' Butt Butt, pitting him up against Scrooge Mother****in' McDuck was a death sentence.

Even before the fight started, I knew SK was going to lose. But I love how the battle was animated, one of the most visually remarkable fights they've done.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Death Battle tends to have questionable logic when it comes to determining the winner. Some of it comes from the fact that fictional universes are wildly different from each other, and many of them have their own rules that don't easily interact with others, but some characters (like Scrooge McDuck in this case) have way more material to draw from (even if the feats are questionable), and other times, they put more or less emphasis on certain feats depending on how they want the fight to go.

Take Dante vs. Bayonetta or Bowser vs. Ganondorf for example, where they said that Ganondorf would win due to a poorly-defined "killing curse", or that Dante wins because Bayonetta was caught off-guard once (while ignoring that the same sort of thing happened to Dante).
They just pull stuff out of their butts to get THEIR Desired Results; I Only have a Problem with that, If the Guy/Gal I'm personally rooting for ends up Losing!!

As much as I like ol' Butt Butt, pitting him up against Scrooge Mother****in' McDuck was a death sentence.

Even before the fight started, I knew SK was going to lose. But I love how the battle was animated, one of the most visually remarkable fights they've done.
I Didn't; Because I was Rooting for Shovel Knight, and EXPECTING him to end up winning; and what's worse, is Screwattack b******ized his Character, and Making him out to be an idiot; when he's Not; a Truly Canon feat of Intellect is when He figured out that
The Enchantress was Really a Possessed Shield Knight
once he realized WHY Black Knight was trying to stop him from Reaching the Tower of Fate, and didn't join the Order of No Quarter)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I Didn't; Because I was Rooting for Shovel Knight, and EXPECTING him to end up winning; and what's worse, is Screwattack b******ized his Character, and Making him out to be an idiot; when he's Not; a Truly Canon feat of Intellect is when He figured out that
The Enchantress was Really a Possessed Shield Knight
once he realized WHY Black Knight was trying to stop him from Reaching the Tower of Fate, and didn't join the Order of No Quarter)
With the **** that the likes of Donald and Scrooge can do, I pretty much knew SK was doomed.
You never pit someone who has established limitations against a cartoon character who has exaggerated feats and can literally defy common sense for the sake of comedy/dramatics.

As for being an "idiot", I don't really see it.
Yeah, they kind of made him uncharacteristically greedy to the point he tried to steal from Scrooge, but I don't see any actual "idiocy".

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I support him for sure! I've fallen in love with his game! Also, what stage would you guys pick from his game?

D

Deleted member

I support him for sure! I've fallen in love with his game! Also, what stage would you guys pick from his game?
I'd say the Tower of Fate is the most logical choice seeing as it has the most plot importance.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
While the Tower of Fate would be the most logical choice, the Explodatorium would provide interesting stage hazards like fire, exploding beakers, maybe water pipes even.

nguforever

Smash Rookie
Support this character as well. Good to see a lot of people still want him. I do have some ideas based on reading this post (feel free to critique).
  1. So far I like the ideas for the move-sets established.
  2. Shovel Knight's skins should only be his other armors and Black Knight, not any other knight (Mole Knight wouldn't fit with Shovel Knight).
  3. The Trouple Chalice should be an item, not a move given to Shovel Knight (they are all one time use anyways).
  4. People seem to be struggling with ideas for the up special. Why not summon Shield Knight for a boost as his up air?
  5. Probably the best justice done to his character (https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2z3ltc/shovel_knight_moveset_idea/).
  6. There needs to be more ideas for final smashes. Here are some additional ideas (though I do like Trouple King Dancing).
  • The Order of No Quarter Version 1: Shovel Knight has an exclamation point over his head and then jumps off the screen. All members of the Order of No Quarter appear an jump around the screen, damaging everyone. In the end, Enchantress appears and unleashes a final magical blow. Obviously, Tinker Knight probably shouldn't have his giant machine (though everyone could be damageable, so he could appear with his mech if killed). You could also scrap this idea and turn one knight into an assist trophy.
  • The Order of No Quarter Version 2: Shovel Knight has an exclamation point over his head and then jumps off the screen. Anyone next to Shovel Knight is teleported to a black screen. All members of the Order of No Quarter appear as they are seen together in the opening sequence of "Shovel of Hope." King Knight goes through them with his mace at the same time as a homing attack by Specter Knight, followed Treasure Knight laying down a sand shockwave that sends them flying on top of Plague Knight's pink container, which he promptly explodes, followed by Mole Knight slamming into them midair, sending them right into Polar Knight shoveling them into a snowball, followed by Tinker Knight and Propeller Knight nodding to each other and using their mech and flying ship to bombard the snowball. The dramatic finish is Enchantress appearing, firing a devastating magical blast that sends everyone flying.
    • These two are a little inconsistent with his character, as Shovel Knight was willing to face all eight knights in a Battle Royale and then Enchantress, but it could be justified by the fact that this was not his intention. He actually was genuinely confused by the fact that everyone was there.
  • "Watch Me Dance": the Dancer comes on screen and begins to dance all around the stage, damaging and flinging anyone she comes into contact with off the stage.
    • More funny than anything.
  • Catch Her: Shovel Knight falls asleep and all of the fighters appear in his dream. Shovel Knight deals increased damage up until he catches Shield Knight. The special ends whether the player catches Shield Knight or not, but the player is rewarded with Shield Knight saying "You caught me." if they are able to catch her.
    • Feel free to edit this.
  • Just Enchantress: Same concept as The Order of No Quarter, but just Enchantress flying around and doing her thing.
  • Play as Specter Knight: The entire stage goes dark with a crack of lightning. Shovel Knight disappears, and Specter Knight appears. Specter would have a move-set that would mimic Shovel Knight and do increased damage. His neutral special would be a homing attack.
    • More for the Specter Knight fans.
  • Shovel Knight and Shield Knight Combo: I believe this one has been repeated a number of times, but essentially Shovel Knight hits someone with his shovel and the two Knights appear together, slashing and hacking at those caught in the smash. The finale is Shield Knight boosting Shovel Knight who comes down and does a pogo maneuver on the unfortunate enemies.
That does it as far as final smashes go.
One lasting question about Shield Knight:
  1. Should she be summoned?
  2. Should she stand on the side like Luan, Donovan's sidekick (and Pokemon Trainer from Brawl)?
  3. Should she be incorporated into his character and the two be a duo?
Thanks and hope for some feedback.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I guess it's not terrible in Japan, but iirc usually Japanese numbers are more closely comparable to Europe as a whole, so idk.

Then again this chart has two UKs, so who really knows. :p

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While I sort of support Shantae more, I'm not at all opposed to Shovel Knight! Can I be on the support list?

Top Bottom