• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

State of the Smash Lab

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If you haven't noticed, rPSI recently passed on the torch of Ownership of the Smash Lab to me. I am humbled by this for a few reasons. First, I realize that there is so much that I do not know about Brawl. Second, I realize that there are so many members in this group that know so much more than me.

That being said, I want to open up a few administrative projects that I plan to undertake as well as share my ideas in terms of the direction of the Smash Lab.

On an administrative level, I intend to put together a Constitution/Charter for the Smash Lab. It won't be anything major, but it will have clearer guidelines for what it means to be a member, how we recruit new members, and how we would remove old members. In this document we'd also have our organizational goals and mission statement, how we go about electing leadership, and rules of conduct for members.

I also intend to go through with a sort of "skill inventory". In response to this post, feel free to rebutt the direction I plan on taking us. But I would also ask that you leave a post briefly expressing your credentials and expertise. For example, I am proficient in general frame testing and am generally considered an expert on the Ice Climbers. However, my knowledge of BrawlBox/OSA2/every other computer program we use for data is basic at best. Based on the merit of credentials, I hope to create a "Testing Panel", similar to the direction of the "Character Panels". However the Testing Panel's role in the lab will be instrumental because they will be the group that comes out with the primary data on release. Ideally there would be a large amount of crossover between the two panels, but we are in definite need of members that know how to and are willing to test things. Based on the members we have now will go a long way towards how large a priority I will place on recruiting more members based on willingness to test things rather than reputation or general knowledge. Once we are able to get the testing group ready and up to speed, this will inevitably increase the efficiency of the Character Panel Project. After the creation of the Charter, I will most likely be looking for a couple members to step up as our Testing Panel Director and a Character Panel Director. They will help administrate and help ensure deadlines are met, given that rPSI, Bionic, and I have consistently proven that we don't have the rage, will power, and attention span it takes to keep things moving quickly enough.

If you have any questions or feel that I'm overstepping my bounds in anyway, please let me know. My computer is having technical issues so I've been using internet through my Wii. Until Friday, PMing me will be the fastest way to contact me, after which I should be back on Skype. I've been thinking about this for some time, and this seems to me as the best way to go about business. I fully believe that the Smash Lab has the potential to be great and the most trusted organization on SWF. With some work, we can get there :)

Toomai

Smash Ace
But I would also ask that you leave a post briefly expressing your credentials and expertise.
Alrighty then.
  • Highly skilled in Inkscape (vector images), The GIMP (raster images), and Blender (3D images)
  • Decently skilled in BrawlBox
  • Strong understanding of character moveset files to the point where OSA2 just isn't good enough; have to use Hex Editor Neo for many things
  • Interested in the entirety of the Smash Bros. series - not just the bits important to competitive play, and not just SSBB
  • Strong pattern analysis skills
  • Resume:
    • Hitbox repositories
    • Near-complete decoding of hurtboxes
    • Decoded the majority of flags for standard and special hitboxes
    • Seven or eight years of programming background
  • Zero knowledge/interest for competitive play
  • Freelance mentality
  • Wii is used by family; can't put serious stress on it or do anything too risky
Probably forgetting something.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I am skilled in BrawlBox and stage editing. I know the very basics of PSA, but that's about all I can do with that program.

Only thing that I really have against me, is the fact that I dislike Brawl therefore I do not play it, so I don't know some of these terms / frame data. I play Project M and Melee instead. But I still do stage work for Project M and I do STDT as well.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Mostly I do frame advance stuff and know my way around PSA/OSA and BrawlBox. I gathered pretty much all of Zelda's frame data and a large chunk of Pika's, plus I tested stuff in frame advance for people when they had questions. ("Is this guaranteed on [insert character]?" etc.)

I'm also good at making things look pretty. :bee: See: Pika & Zelda research threads.

But I sold my Wii and gave away my Brawl disk, so I highly doubt I'll be doing any more Lab work in the future. Game got boring, and eventually, my interest in researching stuff died too. Purge me if you wanna. ;___; Altho I'm very very VERY fond of the cyan name, just saying.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
What I might do in the upcoming charter is to create a system to make a "emirtus" member status or something like that so people that have made significant contributions (like yourself) don't unjustly lose their names to whatever system we vote into place.

I'll be working on the Charter for the next few days. I made a thread for it. I wish I had my laptop and skype so I could bring more attention to it. Once I'm back running at full speed, I'll be accepting nominations for the Two Panel Leaders (Testing and Character). Then when we have an election system in place, we will vote :)

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
+ knows how to use excel for data analysis and stuff
+ willing to spend several hours in training mode for no good reason
+ moderate knowledge of game mechanics, solid knowledge of stage mechanics

- only basic knowledge of OSA etc.
- no access to frame advance

Can I be in the smash lab? :awesome:

Okay, well idk if I still have to do this, but I'll do it anyways.

I guess my strongest asset is testing. Basically how I got my start: researched yoshi's djc glitch in earlier builds of B+, put this in my application for smash developer, veril apparently saw it, invited me to the "smash lab+", then into the smash lab. I guess I'm an oldfag here. I'd link my thread, but I have no idea what happened to it since the workshop got redone. Since the beginning I've been entertaining ideas to increase transparency, building on infinzy's ideas for a smash lab portal at one point (though rpsi beat me to it and created the general release thread), and at another discussing with kinzer something extremely similar to the current panelist project.

I fancy myself a technical ROB expert (Buffered Glide Tosses, finished, Wario Grab Release Advantage, unfinished), and I also like to think I know a thing or two about toon link and zamus. I did their frame data along with ROB's in our original frame data project (Official Frame/Hitbox Data Repository thread, I'm at a hotel, and for some reason the internet connection is messing up urls). Although pretty much everything I do is Brawl, I'm also interested in 64 and Melee.

Strongest points are macro testing and frame data testing, and I've got a good enough knowledge of PSA/OSA2/BrawlBox (enough to extract frame data and basic information about actions), though I'm definitely not as knowledgeable in it as rPSI or Cape. I've also got a solid understanding and knowledge about the game's mechanics.

Well, that's it.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I only have interest and expertise in competitive play.

No longer have a Wii, can only provide insights in what a character is capable of and the extent to which certain options are applicable during actual gameplay.

T-block

B2B TST
Props for typing that up on your Wii lol

Interest in Smash has been waning lately tbh... hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

-willingness to test; intense dislike for false information
-access to frame advance, constant access to a Wii, ability to record, video editing skills
-moderate programming ability
-interest in the link between smash research and competitive play
-area of focus: Brawl stages
-decent knowledge of Pokemon Trainer mechanics

I'm super weak in OSA/PSA/BrawlBox admittedly =\

I guess I'll have at this.

-Research focus would be on stage and stage mechanics
-Well informed on Toon Link overall
-Proficient in Autodesk Maya, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Sony Vegas
-Able to quickly capture and upload to Youtube.
-Interest in creating clean visuals and presentation
-Easy and quick access to a hacked Wii
-Willing to sit in front of my Wii for hours
-Brawl hacking is mumbo jumbo to me

Sieguest

Smash Master
Oh dear... o.o

*Great with numbers
*Access to frame advance
*Forms links between in-game observations and data fairly accurately
*Grabs
xVery little experience with PSA/OSA/Brawlbox

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
*excell knowledge
*eager to learn
*is always interested in material thats practical for advancing competitive play
*usually on skype easy to talk to
*I team with ice climber mains at tournaments who I haven't played before

difficult for me to hack my wii

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm not sure if some of these +'s are all that relevant, but...
+Reliable access to a hacked Wii
+Have Frame Advance, but mostly a novice with it
+Rudimentary knowledge of Brawlbox/OSA
+Ability to capture video/edit/upload, though WMM is my only piece of editing software
+Don't mind doing boring stuff once I learn the rote of finding the particular set of data
+Copious amounts of free time as things stand at the moment of this post
+Still have a love for Brawl and looking into neat interactions/mechanics
+Willing to attend group chats (Don't suppose there has been a recent one?)
+Have a mic, if necessary, if there's ever a group call or a podcast type deal

-On/Off relationship with Skype, mostly drop by here and there unless asked to show up
-Skimming threads and posts has been my recent activity
-Gotten a little rusty with Brawlbox/OSA (easy to fix)

As for things I've done in the past, off the top of my head...
Frame data for G&W, then did a hefty bit in the Frame Repository in here.
Several G&W related videos, which could be videos about other interactions (Like my find on Rudder Stalling).
Boring bit about figuring out what things work on PTs Weaknesses and Resistances before brawl hacking tools.
Showing up for the majority of Group meets, which had a lot of my input towards the STL a bit ago.
Other assorted information threads, I guess.

If anything, while I may not be able to do a lot of heavy lifting, I wouldn't mind doing writing based things such as transferring hard data into a neat document, making finished posts/threads on data and projects, and even trying to direct something like that. I'm not sure you would want me for the supposed "testing group", but it's ultimately your call if you want me working on something in or related to it.

The rest seems agreeable, in the OP. Keep us updated on the direction things are moving in.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
-Sony Vegas
-Excel knowledge, can make pivot tables in a pinch
-Dazzle w/ setup near my computer
-Better than average at PSA
-Slight OSA2 knowledge, could learn
-Knowledge of floating points
-Hacked Wii - Frame Advance but I hate grinding for Brawl frame data like that
-Substantial Melee mechanics/frame data/formula knowledge
-can edit minor stage stuff in BrawlBox, so I can find boundaries and collisions.
-USB Gecko

Negative: I don't like playing Brawl.

Top Bottom