• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting Tech

Impaled

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!

I have been playing smash back and forth since melee and now trying to increase my performance in ultimate. I have always been a casual player playing with friends and not really cared about the competitive stuff in the game. Now with this game me and my friends said that we should try to get a lot better and not just play random games (we played items, timed battles etc) on couch together.

I figured i post my question here in a new thread since i didnt see any existing matching what im trying to learn. The question is if there is any "basic tech" that you should try to learn like shorthop for example to help improve your gameplay from a casual standpoint. This would be general use of mechanics and not specific to one or a couple of chars. We are not looking to enter any tournaments or anything just trying to improve or couch sessions at home with some more competitive aspect.

This is my first time posting and if this question have been answered somewhere i couldnt find it and if so could you direct me to it please! :)

Ratmouse

Smash Rookie
Like you pointed out, get comfortable with Short Hops. Also, learn your Out of Shield options (you can jump when you're shielding to avoid the shield drop animation, and then immediately attack).

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Do you know how to Tech when you get launched against a ceiling or side? If not you should learn this as well. Though it is less "important" than other things on "viable" competitive stages.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Learn how to fastfall out of your short hops and get consistent with that. Then learn how to do short hop fastfall aerials and a whole new world will be opened up for you

Top Bottom