• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting Development on a New Melee Balance Mod - NEEDS A NAME!

Zadamanim

Smash Cadet
The goal of my balance mod is primarily to fix moves that don't work at all (like Zelda's down tilt) and give fun buffs to characters that need them. The emphasis should be on fun, like making link's arrows into ice arrows that can freeze an opponent when charged. There will be small nerfs to the top tier, like reducing the hitstun on fox's shine, and the % damage of falco's dair. I do not intend to break any of the things that make these characters fun, though. I will do my best to make the changes feel intuitive and easy to play, rather than emphasizing technical inputs. Lower tiers will get speed buffs to help them combo and keep pressure, though. So far I've modded Link, Zelda, and Luigi. By the end of the week, I'll upload a video showing the changes to YouTube, and I'll link it here. I'll let you guys try it, if you want, and hopefully I'll get some feedback to improve the mod and keep me motivated.

If anyone has experience modding and would like to give advice or contribute, I would gladly accept it. Depending on how things go, I might add HD textures or custom skins with the consent of those who made them. The mod will be released for free, of course, and I'll put it up for download either as a modded ISO or as character mod files / frame speed data / custom texture files. Check MagicScrumpy's video on installing mods, if you want to know how those work.

Anyway, this project needs a name. Any suggestions?
Also what character would you most want to see changes to, and what changes would you like to see?

Last edited:
Top Bottom