• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft: Ghost

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer

...has been SUSPENDED INDEFINATLY.

Blizzard Entertainment(R) Focuses Console-Development Plans on Next-Gen Platforms

IRVINE, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—March 24, 2006—Blizzard Entertainment Inc. today announced plans to focus the company’s console-development efforts on the next generation of console platforms. As part of this shift in focus, Blizzard(R) will indefinitely postpone production on StarCraft: Ghost(TM) while evaluating opportunities for utilizing the additional power of the new and upcoming console systems.

“Like many in the industry, we’ve been impressed with the potential of the new consoles, and we’re looking forward to exploring that potential further,” stated Mike Morhaime, president and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “In addition to allowing us to determine the best course for StarCraft: Ghost, this review period will help us lay the groundwork for our future console games.”

In the months ahead, Blizzard will further evaluate the next-gen console technology and determine the best plan of action for offering a StarCraft(R) console-gaming experience that meets the company’s expectations and those of its players. Further specifics on plans for StarCraft: Ghost and Blizzard’s future console games, as well as platform and release information, will be revealed at a later date.
It may be cancelled. It may rise again as a next gen title. I'll update when either happens.

spaz519

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm...GO RTS! FPS wouldn't be bad, as long as it's PC...I don't wanna buy an X-box! :demon: Won't be long now, I'll just post here so CS doesn't hafta double post for the big update!

Mr Megavitamin

Smash Cadet
None of blizzard's sites work any more. I tried blizzard.com, battle.net, the forums, starcraft2.com... none work.

My theory is that the clock actually represented how long blizzard had to exist, and it was cleverly disguised as a new game announcement time.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
The name of the game is StarCraft: Ghost. Apparently it's some sort of shooter game where you can ride Vultures and Wraiths also. Some people say it's for XBox only... but IGN has posted about it on all of its console sites... so it's safe to assume it's multi-console. Well, all we can do now is wait till the traffic lightens up so we can find out the actual details...

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Most people were hoping for a Starcraft II, this is what we get.

Starcraft: Ghost

Not a FPS, but a TPS. Third-person-shooter. And for all the consoles to boot.

Think GTA3 style gameplay. Alright so it may be havoc trying to pinpoint that headshot, but the ghost was never supposed to be a frontline combatant anyway.

You take the role of Nova, the starcraft counterpart to Joanna Dark it seems, but with all the Ghost fixings and then some. C-10 canister rifle, peridition flamers, cloak, lockdown, nuclear strike and even hopping into a Vulture or Wraith.

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
You know thats exactly what bliz tried at first when making Starcraft itself. Take the War2 engine and tweak the graphics. The result was something you see in the toilet after a hard night's drinking.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I was planning on making a game VERY similar to this(still am) where you play as a marine in first person mode and go through the battles and what not.

I hope they do this right as Third Person Shooters seldomly do well, but the do on very rare occasions.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Not console, so don't worry about comp speed.

I FOR ONE THINK IT SOUNDS SWEET!
Read the stuff about it, and it sounds awesome.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Find out here!
Tactical Action AKA Metal Gear solid style.
However, UNlike MGS, it has

Utilize a Wide Range of Elite Ghost Abilities
-Outmaneuver your enemies at sonic speed
-Infiltrate bases and sneak past guards using the cloak ability
-Lock down vehicles and electronic devices to immobilize them
-Engage in both face-to-face firefights and planet-scale warfare

Leverage the Resources of an Entire Army
-Call down massive Battlecruiser and Siege Tank strikes
-Take control of familiar StarCraft vehicles
-Wield a variety of familiar weapons, such as the Gauss Rifle and Perdition Flamethrower
-Join your allies in battle and do your part to ensure mission success (multiplayer and possible online support)

Experience the World of StarCraft in 3D
-See the world of StarCraft on a personal level
-Visit familiar planetary settings
-Explore 3D environments designed for strategic interaction
-Use the camera to find unique strategic possibilities
-As Nova, players will be able to scale fences, hang from wires, climb poles and scale walls, and negotiate tightropes

Unveil the Next Chapter in the StarCraft Saga
-Experience story-driven missions complete with multiple plot twists
-Play a crucial role in the rich StarCraft history
-Engage in combat with a variety of fully rendered units from the StarCraft universe, including the Terran, Zerg, and Protoss (according to an IGN interview, You'll be seeing all the units, like lurkers (ooh scary they'll cath you off guard).)

---JUST A TIDBIT---
Q: Is this StarCraft II?
A: No.

Q: Will there be a StarCraft II? When?
A: Although we have not made any announcements and do not have a development or release timeline, we do fully intend to revisit the world of StarCraft on PC at some point in the future.
------------------------

Buy Starcraft: Ghost... I know I will!

Tapion

Smash Ace
I think this is way better than Starcraft 2 could be after Warcraft came out. They are too much the same, and I love shooters!!@ ;) This is perfect. Thank-you Blizzard!!

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
I agree. Releasing two RTS in a row could be bad for Blizzard, I think it was time for Blizzard to make another SC game, but make it original so Blizzard doesn't make things the same. However, after this, I think it will be time for a Starcraft RTS. That won't be until 2005 (or even later) I'm thinking.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
According to IGN, while they will have multiplayer, they're still deciding on the online.

God, I am SOOOOOOOOO getting that game!

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
They said they were only thinking about it being online, but were really looking forward to normal multiplayer modes, which i really don't mind. And oh yea almost forgot...

WOOOHOOO!!

GameFox

Smash Apprentice
This bites! I just bought a brand new computer, and Blizzard tells me I should have gone for a GameCube!

Why can't it come out for pc too?:(

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
It doesn't "bite", the game itself looks amazing. It's coming out in late 2003, it gives you plenty of time to get a console to play on (unless your lazy and don't have a job).

Read the Blizzard information as well as the previews at IGN.

Tapion

Smash Ace
Blizzard actually is arch-rivals with Sony..... don't get your hopes up for PS2... ever since Sony remade Diablo to better suit them, Blizzard hasn't made any effort to rekindle a relationship. I didn't even know Blazzard was on grounds with Xbox, but Blizzard likes working with Nintendo on SC64.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Basically, its for sure it's XBOX (demo), Blizzard most recent console game was on N64 (Starcraft 64), so thats a given, and they would be stupid to ignore the number one selling console to date, PS2.

Tapion

Smash Ace
^No. As stated above, Blizzard and PS2 are enemies. Please take this into consideration. They wouldn't be stupid, PS2 is just mostly over-hype in my opinion, and in their opinion too. (And yes I still want one :p )

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Well, on the Blizzard website, they link directly to the PS2 preview... Not to mention I've never really heard of Blizzard hating Sony.

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Tapion In addition to pulling information from that mass of neurons you call a brain, you do need to have supporting material like formal documents where Blizzard publicly declares their hostility towards Sony. Your vaunted opinion (no matter what you think) is worthless in this regard.

firaga01

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Yavarice
Tapion In addition to pulling information from that mass of neurons you call a brain, you do need to have supporting material like formal documents where Blizzard publicly declares their hostility towards Sony. Your vaunted opinion (no matter what you think) is worthless in this regard.

yavarice...that would be considered flaming, wouldnt it? i thought u dont allow that on your board.........

anywho, i am psyched about the new sc game. can u guys imagine what kind of LAG theres gonna be? look at command and conquer renegade! nothing but lag, lag, lag! dont gert your hopes up.....

and i truly hope that they release it for the PC. i mean, the GCN and Xbox are NOT capable of the graphics shown in the photo of the zealot walking........ have any of you seen it? here it is:

http://gamespydaily.com/news/screenshot.asp?/screenshots/september02/blizzard2/blizzard01.jpg

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
yavarice...that would be considered flaming, wouldnt it? i thought u dont allow that on your board.........
You answered your own question, he chooses what's allowed and what's not.

Now, about Command and Conquer Rengade, I , personally, LOVED this game. I like some games that break genre and don't give the same old stuff(ala, Diablo and some other games) but not all these changes are positive(Megaman Legends is the best example, it went from it's good old 2-D game style to that 3-D mess. I think they were trying to release a game with that idea and didn't weigh the emince impact.)

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Well.. yea it was a flame, but mostly it was to prove that saying something in a sophisticated manner doesn't mean its true.

Jango Fett

Smash Lord
Plz no spamming .
This game will rock! Sniping Protoss, and Zergs creatures , Drive a Siege Tank , put explosives everywhere . I hoped it would be StarCraft 2 but this game is just fine . It would be like Counter Strike for mutliplaying .

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Okay, so far this is alright, but every please be advised, this is not a FPS, it is a tactical action game, along the lines of MGS. I don't think there will be lag in this, considering it's not PC. The game is gonna be fricking amazing.

P.S. Yav wasn't flaming, flaming would be "u suxxe0rzz11! u r rung u ghey" What Yav was doing was completely acceptable, merely exploiting shady information.

Tapion

Smash Ace
Sorry Yav.... I didn't know you were morally opposed to me... =/ And please do not insult me again. If users cannot insult one another, I'm sure you can't do the same. Last time I checked, Gid was head. Please do not insult me. I don't want to start some kind of war with you. I thought you were a pretty cool mod, and I still do. Let's try and avoid flaming.

Look, its simple, and Im sorry if I didn't explain this right. Blizzard originally worked for Sony. They were working on Diablo, it was released. Sony changed alot of things in the final copy, and Blizzard wanted to stay true to their version. That's why they released SC on the 64 and not the PS. I'm sorry I don't have an official document. But maybe use this example: lets say you write a book. Then somone writes a summary on that book that is wayy off. Would those people be on good terms with you? And one more thing, war3pub.com has announced that it will be Xbox and Cube only. And do you think Blizzard wuld release a document saying something like 'Sorry Sony, we hate you. No Ghost for you!'

You people and your official documents... jeez, last time I checked this place is just for hanging out and chatting. If I can't do that here without getting insulted from the Mod because I made a statement, then what kind of place is this? If you want to do that, please do it over AIM, away from these boards. I like these boards, and I like the mods. So lets stop this 'war' right here. Yav, be my friend, okay? lol

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
There is no flame war here.

First off, you can't trust war3pub as a source of reliable information, going by the fact they reported the game in their forums as an FPS. Second, the Blizzard website itself, as I have told many times, is linking to the PS2 Ghost preview. Why would they if they hated Sony so much they refuse to develop for them? I honestly think that Ghost will come out for all systems, I don't think Blizzard really really hates anyone.

And if this site refused to let people insult other people, I would be banned by now =)

EDIT:
Hey I found a new article on IGN telling about the Gamecube demo. http://cube.ign.com/articles/371/371781p1.html it is. Judging from this article, the game sounds unbelievably sweet, and also, it means that the game is running on XBOX and Gamecube for sure.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Big time news.

Actually, Starcraft: Ghost will be nothing like Starcraft.

However, here is a tidbit just picked up:

GameSpy has a new exclusive interview with Blizzard VP Bill Roper about Starcraft: Ghost. The interview is interesting and covers a lot regarding Blizzard trying to break into the console industry. One particular question will catch your attention, and that is regarding Starcraft II:

GS: One the GameSpy message boards, as well as the Blizzard message boards, you’ve been getting strong reactions from PC gamers about Ghost. Many are screaming things like, "Why are you abandoning us?!?" What’s your response to this? Is there anything you want to say to PC gamers to try and assuage them?

BR: We’ve definitely seen a lot of comments from PC gamers concerned that we’re abandoning PC gaming. I think that the important thing to remember is that even though we are a relatively small company, we do have enough teams to work on more than one product at a time. We were working on World of Warcraft at the same time we were working on Warcraft III. One of the reasons we wanted to do a joint development with Nihilistic is that we didn’t have enough people on our own to do a big console game. I guess the important thing to remember is that one project doesn’t necessarily impact another.

So the work on StarCraft: Ghost doesn’t impact the World of Warcraft team. It doesn’t impact what the Warcraft III team is doing next. It doesn’t preclude us from doing anything else in the StarCraft universe. We certainly don’t see StarCraft: Ghost as being something that replaced StarCraft II. It’s just as likely that StarCraft II will be released at the same time as Ghost. We had two Warcraft teams working at the same time. I think it’s a difficult thing to look at. We even see big assumptions based on our web site. We’ll pull something off and people will go, "Oh my God, they pulled material from the web site. Now the game is being delayed!"

A hint perhaps?

EDIT: A link to the interview, a Class "A" source, considering it is from Blizzard's Vice President. http://gamespy.com/tgs2002/starcraftint/

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
My Opinion in the War

Here is a copy of my post at the Nihilistic Forum. I finally felt the need to fully address the concerns of the average Anti-Ghost person.

Do you people who complain about Ghost actually know anything about it?!?

Starcraft: Ghost IS NOT a FPS. So there shouldn't be any "FPS games suck on console" remarks. The game will be a similiar style to MGS, which is an astounding game. You have NOT been betrayed... Blizzard and Nihilistic are making a Starcraft game and you people are upset?! Come on, if you actually sit and READ the previews at IGN, gamespot, gamespy, and the Blizzard website, you can see how good the game looks! Tactical Action games are better suited for Consoles, and thats why you need to stop crying for a PC port...

Everyone is saying "Just because it's has Starcraft in it's name, people are gonna buy it, but it sucks..." or "Nowadays everything with starcraft in it's title makes people buy it..." Well first of all, There is ONE Starcraft game and an expansion, it's due time the Starcraft universe it expanded apun with a game. Blizzard created the Starcraft universe and made a RTS game about it, and now they are making a tactical action game in their universe. Whats wrong with that? Tactical Action games allow you to see a world more personally, develop lots of storyline, and have fun gameplay! Second, I AM going to buy it because A) I live the Starcraft universe AND B) The gameplay looks simply amazing.

I can understand that people are mad that it's not for PC, but honesly, Blizzard has not "backstabbed you", they have given us what we want, another game set in the Starcraft universe. If you want just another RTS, go play a piece of crap C&C game... If you complain that it isn't for PC, then play it on a console, it's not as if you can't save up money, buy a console, and get SEVERAL games worth playing for it AS WELL as Starcraft: Ghost.

-I can't understand those who don't think Ghost sounds like a good game, because they just refuse to read info about it...
-Those who are worried Ghost will delay Starcraft II should read Bill Roper's Gamespy article...
-People who thing this game not coming to PC shouldn't really claim Blizzard has ignored PC fans, they're simply NOT ignoring console owners...

I own PC and a Console, and though I would get a RTS for PC, a MGS-style tactical game is better played on a console, and I would buy it for my console whether it was on both or not (and besides console is guarenteed to look top-quality all the time, unlike a crappy PC).
Oh and one more thing, GHOST ISN'T A FPS!

I spent a lot of time writing this, before you enraged console-haters (how could hate a console, your just saying your narrow-minded when it comes to games) respond, READ what I wrote, I spent a while on it, and then write an INTELLIGENT response, saying whether you agree or disagree, and why.

krillin1986

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Revolutions
Aw crap. How many games are there on my list now? Thirty?
Lol.. I only got a few on my list... but sadly, SC Ghosts isn't one of them... of course it looks great, and I will DEFINATELY rent it, but it's just not my sort of game... and I am not all into SC... That and I am just gonna buy the really awesome games (SFA, TimeSplitters 2, Mario Party 4, Zelda... and more, like Four Horsemen!!) Anywho... I am goin to watch Simpsons!

Top Bottom