• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Man I don't know what all those sports players doing drills do drills for.

Oh, right, muscle memory.

Ankoku please dont tell me that post wasnt you trolling the **** out of Omni >_>

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
omni idk if u play basketball, but i can make anything isolated

i hardley make anything in game
but can u imagine your in-game if u could never make anything isolated :woman:

but yea like

i just feel like going through the process even if it's by myself will help me to avoid things like COMPLETELY freezing up at the 8 minute mark. ive noticed that by practicing my 1/1/1 BO by myself that i can do the first 5-6 minutes of the game super fast and comfortably even with a little pressure. but from there im like derp da derp

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Man I don't know what all those sports players doing drills do drills for.

Oh, right, muscle memory.

Ankoku please dont tell me that post wasnt you trolling the **** out of Omni >_>
It's mostly just practice so that you DON'T mess up in competitions. I practice all the time, but in shooting competitions, I almost always do worse than my average.

Besides, he's just essentially talking about using hotkeys, which he already practices. Hotkey practice can only be taken so far, and from that point on, it is up to the player to consistently perform commands during an actual match. Why not practice them in a match, then?

But to be honest, it's his choice as to how he actually spends his time...

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
i'm talking about trying to enforce yourself to remember things like:

- keep money low
- never getting supply blocked
- constant scv production
- using hotkeys
- using control groups properly
- rallying properly
- never quenue'ing up too many units
- getting use to pumping out a constant army
- expanding
- learning the map and figuring out choke points
- remembering to do upgrades
- practice making wall-ins or defense choke holds

etc. etc.

i feel like just running through those motions by myself over and over will make me more comfortable when i get into it in a real game. right now im at the point where im like if i reach a certain point in the game i become really lost. like i know the general idea of what im suppose to do but im not sure how to execute it and in trying to figure out how to execute it my macro goes to hell in the process

Kenrawr

Smash Master
yeah i don't see what's wrong with omni's idea either. let him work on playing under pressure later. he's still pretty new to the game.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It's mostly just practice so that you DON'T mess up in competitions. I practice all the time, but in shooting competitions, I almost always do worse than my average.

Besides, he's just essentially talking about using hotkeys, which he already practices. Hotkey practice can only be taken so far, and from that point on, it is up to the player to consistently perform commands during an actual match. Why not practice them in a match, then?

But to be honest, it's his choice as to how he actually spends his time...
If you believe that top SC players don't / didn't spend an obscene amount of time just practicing macro / micro control you're kidding yourself.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ladder's pretty much the best place to practice competitive play without having to participate in a tournament/showmatch/whatever where you have to deal with actual competitive players along with potential spectators. As if it actually counts toward anything but a record of wins and losses that, hilariously enough, won't even count losses once v1.3 is released.

I'm absolutely serious about the advice I gave; in the games I played with Omni, all I did was make units until I maxed out (or until he attacked), no interruptions or actual pressure until he initiated the battle. His macro seemed fine up until the point where he realized it's a game of Starcraft and not IIDX (around the point where he'd scan my army). I don't know how practicing playing out an entire 15 minutes isolated is going to be an improvement over practicing playing out 8 minutes isolated and then scanning Roaches and suddenly freezing up because he needs to think about what counters Roaches (and as I replied back then, "Terran units"). What I believe he needs to get right now is beating the apparent phobia of not playing perfectly against a human being and the sense to just do the usual stuff if unsure about "best responses" in a game that doesn't really emphasize hard unit counters until the upper tiers of skill.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If you believe that top SC players don't / didn't spend an obscene amount of time just practicing macro / micro control you're kidding yourself.
Sure they do, but mostly in actual games.

Oh well, I guess that it'll help him a bit, but I still think that real matches are the way to go. However, it's his decision.

As if it actually counts toward anything but a record of wins and losses that, hilariously enough, won't even count losses once v1.3 is released.
It won't? That's weird.

Edit: Sveet, I will be waiting in the actual game, if you come on here first.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, gotta make sure those little kids playing the ladder don't get their feelings hurt when they're 4 - 25, right?

General

* Leagues & Ladders

o A new Grandmaster League has been added for 1v1 ladders. This league represents the Top 200 players in each region.

+ Players are automatically drafted into the Grandmaster League shortly after a new season starts, and will remain in the Grandmaster League until the end of the season. If a Grandmaster player’s available bonus points get too high due to inactivity, they will be automatically removed from the league and a replacement player will be drafted in.

+ The Grandmaster League can be viewed by all players through the new Leagues & Ladders > Grandmaster page
o The bonus pool has been reduced for arranged teams.

o Leagues will now be locked during the final weeks of the season. As a result players will not accumulate additional bonus points and will not be promoted or demoted out of their current division during this period.

+ This will allow players to focus on moving up in their current league without being promoted during the final weeks of a season, and having to fight their way up from the bottom ranks of their new higher league.

+ Players can still utilize any bonus points they previously accumulated.

o Ladder data from the prior season can be viewed through the new Leagues & Ladders > Last Season page.

o New league icons have been introduced to indicate division rank. These will indicate the Top 8, 25 and 50 players in each division.

o Loss counts are no longer displayed in Profile and Ladder pages for players below Master League.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Sveet, I'm gone. My parents made me get off the comp.

I sent messages on Skype, the game, AND on here (my earlier post), so unless you have a reason for why you didn't play or even bother responding, I quit. This is just too much bs.

If you had to work late, study, or were really tired, I can understand, and I won't quit. But come on man, you could have at least replied.

Roman.

Smash Champion
Sveet, I'm gone. My parents made me get off the comp.

I sent messages on Skype, the game, AND on here (my earlier post), so unless you have a reason for why you didn't play or even bother responding, I quit. This is just too much bs.

If you had to work late, study, or were really tired, I can understand, and I won't quit. But come on man, you could have at least replied.
is it just me or didn't sveet say 830pm central which is 1130 (assuming your est)... maybe that's why he isn't on...

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Central is one time zone away and to the left, so there's a one hour difference. Besides, he was online on both skype and sc. >_>

Really, I'm just waiting to hear his reason because I hate being mad at someone. Hopefully he has a good one.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
To werekill: I didnt get a time from you today ahead of time so i will be on around 4pm for a brief time and then again after about 9pm. I will check to see if you are on, but if not i will conduct my business and head out. mucho homeworko to do (and probably taking 2 tests today)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There's something satisfying about seeing an absurd number of Colossi shooting down a base. I think it's the lasers.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Anyone want to do the Funday Monday this week with me?

its 2v2s, and at the beginning of the match each team member announces a unit(minus workers). Its the only unit they are allowed to build all game. If its a caster, its casting abilities are all allowed.

So like one person could build only marines and one person could build only medevacs, for example.
If I'm on tonight, I'll play some 2v2 with you. That sounds like fun.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i'll stick around til 5pm my time. I havetohavetohavetohaveto leave by then though, or i wont finish this class.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Shweet. I checked its actually a 3v3 or 4v4, so we need to find 1 or 2 more people.
Yo if we're talking about a repeat of the Mono-Character 3's/4's Funday Monday, count me in. Just as long as you promise never to do the Archon/Reaper/Medivac/Corruptor combination (theoretically the worst possible combination to set up while still including all 3 races and having a unique unit for each player).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's pretty much the most popular Funday Monday to play.
Get a 3v3 or 4v4 group together.
At the beginning of a game, publicly (Alltalk) announce which unit you're going.
With some exceptions, you are only allowed to make that unit for the remainder of the game.

EXCEPTIONS:
All worker units
Overlords
Queens, but you may not (intentionally) attack with them (unless you picked Queens as your unit)
High Templars/Corruptors/Zerglings for Archons/Brood Lords/Banelings, but you may not spellcast or attack with the beginning forms (unless, of course, you picked them as your unit) (in which case you may not morph them)

As Day[9] put it, "Well darn, his Vikings are killing all my Brood Lords. I guess I better make some more Brood Lords!"

rhan

Smash Hero
I'll sign in now. Message me when ya'll are ready.

Hopefully screwing around in something can distract me from this pretty ****ty day I've been having.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
cynan i've been looking for you for a couple nights... when's the next time you'll be on?

says you haven't played a match in 4 days so i hope you're still around
I haven't been playing much lately, but don't worry, I'll be on, just tell me whenever you can. If tomorrow evening is good for you it would be perfect.

rhan

Smash Hero
Fun games earlier. Really made my day a lot better.

Rage quitting from hallucinations is tooooooooooo goooood!

Top Bottom