• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zone

Smash Champion
It was stoppable with a patrol drone at the bottom of the ramp.

I didn't ever have much problems with that

Sion

Island of Horizon
i was wondering why people patrol droned their ramp sometimes

"i was like wtf okay, i'll just go and scout"

Overswarm

is laughing at you
One thing that worries me now is that thors are going to be bad vs a 3gate stargate now.
If only terran had some sort of cheap, ranged unit with high dps that could be amassed the moment they realize void rays are coming...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Blindly going for silly endgame compositions like Thor/Banshee is a rather poor plan anyway.

M@v

Subarashii!
If only terran had some sort of cheap, ranged unit with high dps that could be amassed the moment they realize void rays are coming...
Try marauders marines vs a 3gate stargate push lol. It fails if the toss has any sense of macro, especially if the p player brings sentries for FF. Only way to have the tactical advnatage is to push them before they push you, and thats hard because they can reinforce much faster.

You pretty much need to go pure marines if they are 3gate stargating to ensure being 100% safe. This also means you need to waste a scan to see if its a stargate, because if its a robo mass marines is going to fail harder than marauders do vs stargate units.

I didnt even mean thor banshee either. There are a lot of terran builds out there that involve thors. Its a good unit so why not use them? Good dps Decent aa(great vs light bad vs armor, but good range), and tanks damage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Because Immortals and Zealots, dude. There are not "a lot of Terran builds" that involve Thors in TvP.

M@v

Subarashii!
A lot of people dont realize this, but 250 mm cannon upgrade actually has a use in tvp: stuns immortals and 1 shots them. I've never used it personally but I've seen it in replays. Also to name a few:

Thor scv all in

Thor banshee(As you stated)

Marine thor timing push(non all in version), transition to mmm +thor.

thor hellion(Yes i know this is primarily a TvZ build, but I've seen it be successful in TvP. It usually throw the toss player for a loop.) You usually have to start off with something that forces zealot immortal for it to pay off though.

Maruader thor push(less common nowadays , and im pretty sure stargate buff will kill it completely)

The beauty of thors in tvp is that they almost always force immortals and/or chargelots, meaning you can be marine heavy without worrying about them all dieing in a matter a seconds.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've seen lots of attempts at Strike Cannons, but I've also seen mass Immortals simply walk over mass Thors because, guess what, 2 seconds of startup isn't going to save you when there's a dozen Immortals one-shotting your Thors one by one.

So an all-in build (that is usually a cheese); an endgame composition that rarely ever starts with that (considering how far along the tech tree both of those units are); a build that to date I've seen lose pretty consistently; a TvZ build (???); and something I've never even heard of?

I really like Thors, man, but you're definitely not convincing me with two all-ins (as far as I'm concerned, a big one-base push that needs to deal damage is pretty much all-in), one endgame, and two things that really shouldn't even exist in TvP.

M@v

Subarashii!
you generally expand after the marine thor push. The only one base play imo is the scv allin.

Granted I usually dont use thors much in tvp minus thor banshee, I opt for heavy marauder play normally, but these are all the types of builds I've seen watching replays.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
you generally expand after the marine thor push.
a big one-base push that needs to deal damage is pretty much all-in
As I said, something that involves setting a push off of one base and is only safe to expand with if the push actually does something is pretty much all-in, regardless of the fact that you're not sending a bunch of workers, or that there's something that happens afterward. A Protoss 4gate that manages to contain the opponent and allow for an expand is still an all-in, despite the follow-up plan.

but these are all the types of builds I've seen watching replays.
All I can really say here is that you're a lot less discriminating of what you watch than I am.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Alright, Nashun plays Luigios on Shakuras Plateau next. ArcNatural, you play Candy on Lost Temple next.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Ether, when can you play?

I probably won't be able friday evening nor saturday all day
He's gone this entire week, so he needs an extension. He'll be back sometime this weekend, and he should be able to play sometime early next week.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Sorry about that, I got effing bombed with school work. I need to see how much i get tomorrow, I honestly dont know how much time I'm going to have.
Np, rl is more important. Let me know when you think you can do the matches as soon as you have a feel for it :)

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah, protoss double pylons the ramp, then gets cannons behind the pylons.
LOLOLOL That's so broke!

But not as broke as Ultralisks not being able to attack a row of sensor towers.

Or a flying Colossus.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
you generally expand after the marine thor push. The only one base play imo is the scv allin.

Granted I usually dont use thors much in tvp minus thor banshee, I opt for heavy marauder play normally, but these are all the types of builds I've seen watching replays.
A reinforced 2 rax marauder push when you have about 4 maruaders is pretty devastating against toss. If they don't FF the ramp before you get up there it is pretty much GG. At least in my platinum games :p.

M@v

Subarashii!
A reinforced 2 rax marauder push when you have about 4 maruaders is pretty devastating against toss. If they don't FF the ramp before you get up there it is pretty much GG. At least in my platinum games :p.
It usually doesn't gg them in diamond, but it does some good damage if your micro's realy good. You need stim over conc shells first for it to work.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Technically, going 2 rax means you can get both at around the same time.

Sensei Hanzo

Smash Cadet
Oh. Sorry, I only go on SWF for this thread so I don't really know where I'm supposed to look for PMs. Also, I replied.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Twig, please get on before midnight to play.
lolllll, I actually was on earlier like 7:30ish but you weren't on =(, and I thought you were midwest so it was at least 11 =p. I'll be on tonight BEFORE midnight, looking to get our matches done =).

rhan

Smash Hero
lolllll, I actually was on earlier like 7:30ish but you weren't on =(, and I thought you were midwest so it was at least 11 =p. I'll be on tonight BEFORE midnight, looking to get our matches done =).
You're time zone's are effed up buddy.

If he was in the Midwest he would be about 3 hours behind us. Not forward.

And Kentucky is right next to VA geographically.

So he's no more then an hour or so behind. Maybe not even.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Twig meant that he was on at two different times. Once at 7:30, then again at 11.

rhan

Smash Hero
The wording was horrendous.

Let's all talk in Spanish were everything is simple to say.

Top Bottom