• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A little patience, please? I went ahead and had anyone who hasn't posted at all forfeit their round. Note that deadlines are now going to be one week at a time, since break is over.

I will repost as matches complete to fill in the blanks.

12 Terran 8 Protoss 12 Zerg 4 Random

1. Ankoku || aisight.334
  2. Arrow || Arrow.784
  3. EnigmaticCam || Camster.635
  4. HELP || TyrantTheory.172
  5. HeroMystic || HeroMystic.745
  6. Kenrawr || KatyPerry.412
  7. Luigios || Luigios.119
  8. M@v || Mav.945
  9. Pakman || Pakman.484
  10. rhan || rhan.667
  11. SCOTU || SCOTU.208
  12. S.O.L.I.D. || Solid.414
  13. Candy || KeSha.248
  14. Nashun || GRITnashun.348
  15. Oh. || LadyGaga.997
  16. Scabe || Scabe.112
  17. Scar || Scar.403
  18. Sensei Hanzo || SenseiHanzo.445
  19. shanus || shanus.665
  20. Signia || Signia.524
  21. Anther || Anther.849
  22. ArcNatural || ArcNatural.328
  23. ESOJOSE || Screamer.893
  24. Fizzi || Fizzi.529
  25. Kira || Ardek.979
  26. Mogwai || Mogwai.289
  27. Nujabes || KarmaX.801
  28. Overswarm || Overswarm.197
  29. Roman. || fycROMAN.268
  30. Squidster || Squidster.404
  31. TheYoster || YellowYoster.807
  32. Zone || Snafu.141
  33. Cynan Machae || Cynan.623
  34. Ether || Ether.609
  35. Nasty_Nate || NastyNate.922
  36. Twig || Twig.511

Rules:
  • Best of 3
  • Double elimination
  • First game is played on the specified map
  • Each player may vote down one map from the remaining map pool
  • Loser of previous game selects map for next game
  • Players must stay their designated race
  • Legal map choices are as follows: Metalopolis, Scrap Station/Refined Scrap Station (if one of these is voted down then both are), Xel'Naga Caverns, Blistering Sands, Steppes of War, Lost Temple, Delta Quadrant, Jungle Basin, Shakuras Plateau
  • Deadline is Sunday, January 16. Late deadline because of various people potentially being out of state for vacation, etc.

Winners' First Round - Metalopolis
Cynan Machae vs Scabe
Nashun vs ArcNatural

shanus vs winner between Arrow and Sensei Hanzo

Winners' Second Round - Shakuras Plateau
Ankoku vs Anther
Kenrawr vs TheYoster
Overswarm vs Twig
Pakman vs HELP
Roman. vs Nasty_Nate

Ether vs ???
Fizzi vs ???
Luigios vs ???

Losers' First Round - Jungle Basin
Sensei Hanzo vs Zone

Nujabes vs ???
Solid vs ???

Losers' Second Round - Lost Temple
Kira vs Mogwai
M@v vs EnigmaticCam
Oh. vs HeroMystic

Candy vs ???
rhan vs ???
Scar vs ???
Squidster vs ???

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Contacted Cynan, looking forward to some good games.

Man, he's a diamond who's random, X_X
six pool him and attack with your drones and lings.

It's what I do vs. randoms.

*slowly looks over at Twig*

rhan

Smash Hero
If it's double Zerg.

6 Pool and mutate spine crawlers on his creep. And out micro his shiiiizzzzz.

rhan

Smash Hero
That's what you call pro.

Or Korean.

Which ever you prefer.

Edit: After looking at his SC2 record. All I see is Platinum and Diamond galore with whoever was with him. I also only saw the dice symbol.

Dude.

Teach me.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i can't imagine someone being diamond when they play random. like holy
Playing random actually increases the amount of information you receive. Every time you play someone and lose and say "WHAT COULD I HAVE DONE TO STOP THAT?!?!?!" you are simultaneously saying "Hey, I can do that in this matchup when I'm on the other side" and then you're shown what you can do to beat it... or win repeatedly.

The only trouble is keeping all the information up-to-date and organized in your head.

rhan

Smash Hero
But... to actually be like "Hey, I can do that in this matchup when I'm on the other side".

You actually have to be good with the race you are playing at the moment. Otherwise that is invalid (not saying that he isn't).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Apparently Hanzo told me to forfeit his match or something so Arrow moves on to play shanus.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Mav, what times are good for you?

I'm pretty much free all evenings from 6:00pm PST, though not necessarily online. Let me know what works for you.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Thanks for the tips. I listened to what you said, and in my next Protoss game, I won!

I'm also winning my Zerg games more, but I think that's related to my focus on the early build order and getting the timing down.

However, I have no idea what to do after my first couple 'ling attacks. Should I start building roaches, get a lair and go straight to hydras, or go to something else? I'm usually completely clueless during the mid to end game.

Oh, and I knew about the "no queuing" bit. Luckily, I picked that up during the short time that I played Brood War. Thanks anyway, though.
Depends what your opponents are making.

Zone

Smash Champion
I just want to comment being diamond and being random isn't like omgbbqwtf good. In my opinion once you get the basics of the game down micro/macro/hotkeys ect. All that carries over slightly all you need is more information like timing attacks, builds to counter builds. I can stalker micro as good as any other Protoss diamond my level the only thing holding me back from being as good is knowledge of when something should be done and how.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I too think that matchup/position-specific timings are the hardest part of playing Random well.

M@v

Subarashii!
Tuesdays and thursday after 5:30 but it doesnt mean ill be on we'd need to arrange it. Weekends work though this saturday i got a tourney. Friday ill probably be practicing for said tourney. Wed. Im free after 8.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Random really isn't that tough, it's like playing multiple characters in melee, once you know how to wavedash and L-cancel, being able to learn different combos doesn't take that long. The difference comes in MASTERING the races, while a random player can be proficient in all three, they are generally weaker overall with a single race than strong players of one race. Biggest difference is trying to be strong in 9 matchups as opposed to 3.

Overswarm - My schedule is really loose, I'll log on often this week to try and catch you, but if you give me a certain day or time that works best for you, let me know =).

Also, Ether is going out of town this week, and he plays the winner of Cynan vs Scabe, so he will need an extension, just a heads up. (That is if Cynan vs Scabe happens soons ^_^).

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Tuesdays and thursday after 5:30 but it doesnt mean ill be on we'd need to arrange it. Weekends work though this saturday i got a tourney. Friday ill probably be practicing for said tourney. Wed. Im free after 8.
Wednesday or Thursday sound good. Are you speaking in terms of PST too? If so, let's plan for after 8 on Wednesday.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Pacific standard time. What time zone are you speaking in? Your location says Pennsylvania, but some people don't always keep those up to date, so I don't want to assume.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Scabe and me got screwed by the patch, he's SEA patched now and NA isn't patched yet :p Oh well, we gonna try tomorrow I guess

And on the subject of Random, it's really not that hard once you get your basics and mechanics down to play any race to at least mid diamon level. But ocne you want to climb higher and strategy and builds become more important it's really a lot of work and the disadvantage of playing random really start to show. I'm going to pick a race probably at the ladder reset because I really don't have the time to put 3x more work into SC2 to get the same work done as with one race ><

Twig

Smash Journeyman
And on the subject of Random, it's really not that hard once you get your basics and mechanics down to play any race to at least mid diamon level. But ocne you want to climb higher and strategy and builds become more important it's really a lot of work and the disadvantage of playing random really start to show. I'm going to pick a race probably at the ladder reset because I really don't have the time to put 3x more work into SC2 to get the same work done as with one race ><
Yeah that's what I was saying exactly, just said much more eloquently. I'm with you too man, after this tournament I'm switching to only brotoss.

Any race you are leaning towards at this point?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I won 4 out of 7 matches today! That's still bad, but at least I'm getting better! ^_^

I still really suck at Zerg midgame, though. I just pretty much freeze up, select all my larvae, and press Z or R a bunch of times. >_<

M@v

Subarashii!
Eastern time im referring to.

also YAY ANOTHER TERRAN NERF PATCH COMING OUT!

So far we've had 1 buff and about 10 nerfs?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Eastern time im referring to.

also YAY ANOTHER TERRAN NERF PATCH COMING OUT!

So far we've had 1 buff and about 10 nerfs?
When you're ready to stop complaining about what has remained the most statistically successful race in the game, let me know.

Top Bottom