• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star-Spangled, Steam Powered Hero: Henry for Smash Switch!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Henry Fleming

**********************************************************************************************

**********************************************************************************************
WHO IS HENRY?
Henry Fleming is the main character of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., a turn-based strategy game released on the Nintendo 3DS in 2015. The game was developed by Intelligent Systems (known for other popular series, such as Fire Emblem and Paper Mario) and published by Nintendo. The game's playable cast are all based on characters from iconic literature, such as the Wizard of Oz and the works of H.P. Lovecraft. As such, Henry Fleming is heavily based on the protagonist of the same name from the classic American novel, The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane

In-universe, Henry is a heroic soldier serving as Head of Security for the U.S. Embassy in Great Britain. At the game's opening, Henry is seen preparing for the opening of a new bridge in London, when suddenly the city is attacked by a massive alien invasion. He escapes and meets up with John Henry (an old friend from "the war"), receives the Eagle Rifle, a powerful. steam-powered weapon to combat the aliens, and is rescued by a flying airship piloted by President Abraham Lincoln. Henry and John are then recruited into the covert task force known as S.T.E.A.M. (Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace). Our hero is soon promoted to field captain, where he meets and joins arms with Tom Sawyer, Tiger Lily, Randolph Carter, as well as Dorthy, Tin Man, Scarecrow, and Cowardly Lion, who hail from Oz. The team fights to defend the world from the increasing risk of the deadly alien attack.

WHY SHOULD HENRY JOIN SMASH?

Even among Nintendo's cast of characters, Henry and his crew stand out as some of the most unique, interesting choices yet. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. is a game unlike any Nintendo has ever had a hand in before, from it's challenging but rewarding gameplay, to it's zany usage of western cultural icons with a steam-fueled twist. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. is still one of the newest Nintendo IPs, and although the game didn't... crush it sales-wise, Henry would be holding a metaphorical banner of the 3DS' legacy.

MOVESET POTENTIAL?

Luckily for our courageous alien-buster, Henry has no shortage of potential when it comes to battle. Not only does Henry carry his trusty Eagle Rifle, he could also make use of the multitude of sub-weapons that are unlocked throughout the game. And hey, since Henry is the most likely candidate for Smash from his game, why not bring along some weapons from his S.T.E.A.M allies? He could make use of Tom's Punch-Gun, John's Bear Grenade, and even Randolph's Unspeakable Lure, just to name a few. With that in mind, I've created my own moveset that I could easily see in Smash Bros.

One thing that makes Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. unique is the usage of steam. For every turn, the given a certain amount of steam that allows your characters to move, attack, and counterattack. This could be translated into Smash for Henry in order to give him a special gimmick. I could see Henry gradually using up steam as he fights, and as it goes down, it would make him slower and do less damage until it is restored. I could see this making Henry a strategic character with a lot of powerful moves, but the player would have to play smart to avoid losing fuel.

Potential Moveset:
[*****WORK IN PROGRESS****]

Specials:
Neutral B: Eagle Rifle
Henry fires off three shots from his trusty Eagle Rifle. This attack does damage and stun similar to that of Falco's Blaster, but slightly faster. Henry can also use this attack while crouching, without losing his stance.

Side B: Mine Layer
One of the game's numerous sub-weapons; the Mine Launcher is pretty self explanatory. When used, Henry would fire a projectile mine a short distance. If it hits an opponent before it lands, it will do a respectable amount of damage and knockback. If it lands, the mine will become active, and any foe who steps on it will cause it to activate and explode, damaging them greatly. If Henry uses this move again after the mine is layed, the pre-existing mine will disappear.

Up B: Lion Launcher
Henry borrows Lion's main weapon for his recovery. Like in the game, using this weapon will cause Henry to launch into the air a fair distance. If Henry uses this move while he is grounded, he will launch into the air a short distance before falling in an arch. Any foe who Henry lands on will take damage and be sent flying back, just like in the game. I'd imagine this move would cause some lag to Henry after he lands

Down B: Overwatch Attack
(Yes, this is what it's called in-game.)
Henry will freeze momentarily in a readied stance. If an enemy fires a projectile at the soldier, time will freeze for both the character and their projectile, and Henry will fire a rally of shots from his rifle to not only destroy the projectile, but also damage the foe he has captured.

Arguments

1.) "Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. sold terribly, why should it get a rep in Smash Bros?"
I cannot tell a lie; this is a tough argument to combat, and clearly the biggest hurdle in Henry's way. Although his game is fairly recent, S.T.E.A.M was not a major seller in any region, and may well be considered a failure in Nintendo's eyes. However, S.T.E.A.M's ending included a sequel tease, and with the Switch's mass variety and popularity, whose to say that a port, or dare I dream, a sequel, might be in the works? In any case, S.T.E.A.M still represents modern Nintendo as one of the most recent new IPs, and that alone gives Henry a chance to shine.

2.) "Isn't Henry Fleming a book character? Does Nintendo even have rights to him?"
The Henry Fleming from S.T.E.A.M. (and all of the other characters based on novels and stories) is an original character who are meant to represent and parody the characters upon which they are based. Nintendo/IS fully own the rights to the characters that are playable in S.T.E.A.M, Henry included.

Misc.

One of the many, many things that go underrated in S.T.E.AM. is the music! For this section, I'd like to include a few tunes that I think would sound great behind all the chaos of Smash.

MAIN THEME

Deadly Dance ll

Code Name: FE
(plays on the main screen when all 4 FE amiibo characters are selected)
(IT COUNTS)

UPDATE:

While S.T.E.A.M didn’t receive representation in terms of playable characters, Ultimate’s base game was not without blessings for our poor, forgotten title.

We got a brand new remix!

Captain Fleming himself also appears as a Spirit character in the new single player mode!

SUPPORTERS
-crump- -crump-
Organization XIII Organization XIII
Opossum Opossum
ShizChiz ShizChiz
Wonks Wonks
Roberk Roberk
SmashKeks SmashKeks
MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook
smashkirby smashkirby
C chocolatejr9
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
Thanks for reading! If you have anything to add, please feel free to share. This main post is still very much a work in progress!

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Sign me up. Codename STEAM was awesome.
Hell yeah! It's absolutely among my favorite games on the 3DS, and I daresay one of my favorite games of all time. Criminally underrated, and I hope against hope it'll get it's chance to shine one day...

Added you to the supporter's list. Welcome aboard! :bee:

ALSO: Just to be clear, the first post is still kind of a work in progress. I've been super busy, but I wanted to get this post out as I've been pondering on it for a good while.

If anyone has any ideas for a more complete moveset, or anything that might be a good addition, let me know and I'll add it ASAP. :042:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Henry Fleming is easily one of my most wanted characters. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. was a fantastic game and one of my favorites on the 3DS. It deserved far better sales than it got.

Here's a moveset idea I had for him.

General Playstyle Description: Henry Fleming's main gimmick comes in the form of his steam tank: a meter is displayed by his HUD portrait, a la Little Mac's KO Meter, that displays steam in a cylindrical tank. As Henry uses his specials, the steam in the tank depletes. Upon depletion, Henry's specials become incredibly weak. Steam can be restored by staying in place or not using your specials for a while.The less he uses these moves, the more steam he has, and the more damage these specials do. A different take on a resource-management type of character. However, for his non-Special moves, Henry is actually quite adept at close-quarter combat. Being that he is a Civil War veteran, he's trained in all sort of combat. For example, his throws are based around his special Push mechanic from the game, while his smashes involve hitting the foe over the head with the butt of his rifle. His Side Smash could make use of a shoulder bash move. Henry's seen war and has done his training, leading to a sort of militaristic and professional vibe to his normal moves.

Neutral Special - Eagle Rifle - Henry draws his rifle and takes aim, while aiming, he can move slowly to keep the target in his sight. Afterwards, he shoots out three steam-fired bullets with comic-book aesthetics (to get around the whole "no real guns" thing more easily). To add a bit of fun, it is possible to adjust Henry's aim mid-fire, allowing for projectile pressure and mix-ups, or to catch an opponent if they try to jump away. This move uses about one third of Henry's Steam Tank.

Side Special - Steam Crossbow - Henry draws out his subweapon, the Steam Crossbow, and fires a single bolt in a rather quick strike. It has a bit of lag after its use, but it's powerful if used on a weakpoint: in this case, the back of an opponent. It costs one Steam unit to use, but it's not the greatest move to use if the opponent is facing you. However, it does much more damage when sweet-spotted, making it a situational attack.

Up Special - Jump Booster/Rocket Pack - Henry pulls out the Jump Booster as his boiler temporarily becomes the Rocket Pack. Like Diddy Kong, you can hold this move down longer to increase height and horizontal distance. However, while the default uncharged range is greater than Diddy's, holding the button for a bigger jump uses more steam, which can leave you vulnerable when landing if not careful.

Down Special - Overwatch - While it appears to be another Counter, Overwatch is quite unique. If the opponent is in the midst of using a projectile attack, using Overwatch as it's about to hit will cause time to slow down temporarily (a la Shulk's Vision) while Henry fires his Eagle Rifle at the slowed-down opponent, helping to ensure a hit. This uses the same amount of steam as the normal Eagle Rifle attack to prevent it from being spammed. A purely projectile counter attack that isn't a reflector. If the foe is on the ground, it also has the chance to stun briefly.

Final Smash - Eagle Strike - Henry takes aim at the foe with his Eagle Rifle and, if it connects, stuns the foe. Afterwards, Henry takes out an eagle-shaped explosive and lobs it at the foe, yelling "Let Freedom Ring!" as Red, White, and BOOM plays in the background. The resulting explosion has extremely high knockback. Similar to Robin's Pair Up, if this move connects, Henry's steam tank is completely refilled.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Despite the poor sales & reception, I've wanted Henry Fleming/Code Name: S.T.E.A.M representation since it's announcement. Though he has the reverse issue of characters like Takamaru & Ayumi Tachibana, I'm always down for more new series reps. And who knows, maybe the exposure could help future sales of a port/sequel.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm on board. I expect Takamaru to make it in, and as such, I think it would be neat to have a stereotypical and "historical" American to juxtapose him.

(Is Professor Layton English? Maybe throw him in the mix.)

It's funny, before reading your moveset, I never realized how much the Mii Gunner and accompanying steam punk clothes in Smash U/3RD fit for this character.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I never played this game but I’m always up for new Nintendo IP representation
Hopefully they’re considering a port to switch?

Not sure if I would pick this character specifically since he seems a bit generic compared to the other characters in this game

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Oh thank Lincoln, this thread didn’t get buried yet!

Added Opossum Opossum , ShizChiz ShizChiz , and Wonks Wonks to the ol’ Support list. Welcome aboard, soldiers! :)

General Playstyle Description: Henry Fleming's main gimmick comes in the form of his steam tank: a meter is displayed by his HUD portrait, a la Little Mac's KO Meter, that displays steam in a cylindrical tank. As Henry uses his specials, the steam in the tank depletes. Upon depletion, Henry's specials become incredibly weak. Steam can be restored by staying in place or not using your specials for a while.The less he uses these moves, the more steam he has, and the more damage these specials do. A different take on a resource-management type of character. However, for his non-Special moves, Henry is actually quite adept at close-quarter combat. Being that he is a Civil War veteran, he's trained in all sort of combat. For example, his throws are based around his special Push mechanic from the game, while his smashes involve hitting the foe over the head with the butt of his rifle. His Side Smash could make use of a shoulder bash move. Henry's seen war and has done his training, leading to a sort of militaristic and professional vibe to his normal moves.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when it came to his steam tank system! Do you mind if I add an excerpt from this to the main post?

I never played this game but I’m always up for new Nintendo IP representation
Hopefully they’re considering a port to switch?
A port with some QoL improvements and touched up graphics is what I’m really wishing for. The Switch’s wider screen and quicker processing power would do wonders for S.T.E.A.M and give it the second chance it deserves.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Seeing any Codename STEAM characters would be awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Diddy Kong is the only "western" character to be in Smash, everything else has come from Nintendo/Japanese third parties. While most people wouldn't know who Henry Fleming is, just being so MERICA can give him a ton of appeal. The only problem I'd see is the pure patriotism of a singular existing country could make non-American audiences feel uncomfortable.

Maybe even with an inclusion in Smash, we can get an enhanced port or even sequel for the Switch, which would give the franchise the second chance it deserves. It's really cool to see new IPs like this be so experimental and show that first-party titles can be more than decades-old trends.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh thank Lincoln, this thread didn’t get buried yet!

Added Opossum Opossum , ShizChiz ShizChiz , and Wonks Wonks to the ol’ Support list. Welcome aboard, soldiers! :)

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when it came to his steam tank system! Do you mind if I add an excerpt from this to the main post?

A port with some QoL improvements and touched up graphics is what I’m really wishing for. The Switch’s wider screen and quicker processing power would do wonders for S.T.E.A.M and give it the second chance it deserves.
Feel free to! :D

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Seeing any Codename STEAM characters would be awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Diddy Kong is the only "western" character to be in Smash, everything else has come from Nintendo/Japanese third parties. While most people wouldn't know who Henry Fleming is, just being so MERICA can give him a ton of appeal. The only problem I'd see is the pure patriotism of a singular existing country could make non-American audiences feel uncomfortable..
I think that S.T.E.A.M. portrays it’s off-the-wall patriotism in a way that comes off as light-hearted and tounge-in-cheek, so I think it would be pretty inoffensive to most. I mean, in Japan the game even came with the subtitle “Lincoln vs. Aliens”, which is about as silly a title can get. :laugh:

Also, I assume by your first sentence that you would like to be added to the support list? You’d be a welcome addition to our little squad!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I haven't played this game, but I was interested in it when it came out. I heard it didn't do very well. Does that make finding a copy of this game a challenge?

Either way, I'd be down for a character from this game. I had heard of some people wanting Abraham Lincoln, if for nothing more than the lol factor of having a U.S. President (Albeit a very fictional portrayal) in Smash. But any character would give the same kind of lol factor, so hey, I'll support Henry.

Maybe I'll look up his origin book and give it a read. I'm not familiar with it.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think that S.T.E.A.M. portrays it’s off-the-wall patriotism in a way that comes off as light-hearted and tounge-in-cheek, so I think it would be pretty inoffensive to most. I mean, in Japan the game even came with the subtitle “Lincoln vs. Aliens”, which is about as silly a title can get. :laugh:

Also, I assume by your first sentence that you would like to be added to the support list? You’d be a welcome addition to our little squad!
Sure thing, I'll support!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I haven't played this game, but I was interested in it when it came out. I heard it didn't do very well. Does that make finding a copy of this game a challenge?

Either way, I'd be down for a character from this game. I had heard of some people wanting Abraham Lincoln, if for nothing more than the lol factor of having a U.S. President (Albeit a very fictional portrayal) in Smash. But any character would give the same kind of lol factor, so hey, I'll support Henry.

Maybe I'll look up his origin book and give it a read. I'm not familiar with it.
Nah, S.T.E.A.M isn’t a rare find at all. In fact, I’m sure you can find it for less than $20 if you look for it. If you like turn-based strategy, the game is a real treat! Glad to hear you’re interested :)

Also, Red Badge of Courage is a pretty damn good book, coming from someone who isn’t a huge reader. It’s short but sweet, and Crane puts a lot of emotion into his writing.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
If it's gonna be anyone from Codename STEAM, it should be Lincoln.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If it's gonna be anyone from Codename STEAM, it should be Lincoln.
Lincoln isn't even a playable character though. Henry's the main character.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I still support. I like the idea of a depleting/replenishing resource that makes the player more mindful of the types of moves they use, it would certainly bring something new to Smash that no other character can utilize in this way.

I wish more people bought his game, I would love see a sequel.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I still support. I like the idea of a depleting/replenishing resource that makes the player more mindful of the types of moves they use, it would certainly bring something new to Smash that no other character can utilize in this way.

I wish more people bought his game, I would love see a sequel.
Added to the supporter’s list. Welcome aboard! :)

Also, just a little update; my spring break started today, so hopefully you can expect a finished moveset and a slightly more refined front post tomorrow. Gonna be working on it!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
ooh, awesome, somebody bumped my little ol’ thread!

Thanks for the support, smashkirby smashkirby ! I will add you to the list :)

Right, so, here’s some topics up for discussion:
If Henry got in, what areas or maps from Codename S.T.E.A.M do you think would make a good stage?

The Lady Liberty makes the most sense, I suppose, but given that we only see it in cutscenes, and even then, it doesn’t really provide a lot of room to use as a battleground. What do you think the layout of this stage would be, if they decided on Commander Lincoln’s airship?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
ooh, awesome, somebody bumped my little ol’ thread!

Thanks for the support, smashkirby smashkirby ! I will add you to the list :)

Right, so, here’s some topics up for discussion:
If Henry got in, what areas or maps from Codename S.T.E.A.M do you think would make a good stage?

The Lady Liberty makes the most sense, I suppose, but given that we only see it in cutscenes, and even then, it doesn’t really provide a lot of room to use as a battleground. What do you think the layout of this stage would be, if they decided on Commander Lincoln’s airship?
I think it'd be a touring stage, where the Lady Liberty takes you to different locations from the game. London, Miskatonik, Oz via tornado, and finally Antarctica.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It'd be nice to see Codename Steam get some love, although it'll probably be on the smaller side if anything. A shame. The aliens would make for good Smash Run enemies too; prowlers with mortar fire or enemies that lock on and fire if you stay within line of sight for too long.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've played Code Name S.T.EA.M. I didn't get that far. But I hope they port it to the Switch. I support!

Benjakshin

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
3291-6573-0624
I would love to see henry in smash, but I have no hopes for him, so I don't even try to theorize about, just gonna get let down.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
So I still don't think Henry will at all be a playable character unfortunately, but hey at least he's featured as a Spirit enemy on the website! That's something!

henry fleming spirit.png

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I still don't think Henry will at all be a playable character unfortunately, but hey at least he's featured as a Spirit enemy on the website! That's something!

Honestly this is more acknowledgment than I expected. Happy he's here in some form. :)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I hope they at least pick one of the FE remixes as a song to take from Codename Steam. That FE2/FE3 tense moment medley is great.

Also that color palette for Falcon along with all shooting items is a good fit. They should've enabled Smoke Balls too though so they could have steam everywhere.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

I’m still not a fan of Spirits (I will forever be disappointed that there are no trophies in Ultimate), but this makes me happy to see. It’s not much, but he’s in there. Are boy is in Smash! :)

oh geez I forgot I made this thread what happened to the OP why did I keep saying I would make it better oh geez

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We got a remix!

Trouble Brewing II is confirmed as a song in Ultimate!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We got a remix!

Trouble Brewing II is confirmed as a song in Ultimate!
Can you repost where you saw it if possible? Codename STEAM's soundtrack was pretty stellar so I'm glad it gets more than just a Spirit. Still holding out for a Randolph Carter spirit, though. Actually all the characters have pretty defined roles and would work well as event battles (Lion is Incineroar with a permanent Screw Attack so he can use his jumping attack all over the place, for instance).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can you repost where you saw it if possible? Codename STEAM's soundtrack was pretty stellar so I'm glad it gets more than just a Spirit. Still holding out for a Randolph Carter spirit, though. Actually all the characters have pretty defined roles and would work well as event battles (Lion is Incineroar with a permanent Screw Attack so he can use his jumping attack all over the place, for instance).
It's about midway through this video, when they're fighting Captain Falcon.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Mind if I become a supporter? I've played the original game and remember having a good time with it.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Mind if I become a supporter? I've played the original game and remember having a good time with it.
I wouldn’t mind at all! Glad to have you aboard, any support for Henry is a welcome surprise. :)

Still surprised that we got a full blown remix for our little flop of a game. Like, they could have ignored S.T.E.A.M entirely, and few would even notice, let alone mind. They could’ve ported a song from the first few levels, and been done with it. But no, we got a handpicked remix! Some genius composer gave our diamond in the rough some musical effort and that makes me so happy. I can’t wait to hear more!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wouldn’t mind at all! Glad to have you aboard, any support for Henry is a welcome surprise. :)

Still surprised that we got a full blown remix for our little flop of a game. Like, they could have ignored S.T.E.A.M entirely, and few would even notice, let alone mind. They could’ve ported a song from the first few levels, and been done with it. But no, we got a handpicked remix! Some genius composer gave our diamond in the rough some musical effort and that makes me so happy. I can’t wait to hear more!
I'm hoping we get a John Henry spirit who equips the user with a hammer. :p

Oddball

Smash Lord
I suppose a spirit and a remix is somethign at least. I would have loved to have seen Abe or Henry playable though.

Top Bottom