• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Assault and its competitive potential

majora_787

Smash Hero
Gamecube controller, as said, wouldnt be a bad idea either. At the bare minumum class controller. But they should take a crack at the joystick/throttle idea. If it turns out to be crap, you will have the gc/classic controller.

the ice level was the worst. So boring. The boss was easy, it was just that there is a time limit.

The aparoid queen can be tricky on hard, but it isnt bad at all.

LOVE the assault arwing design though.
My excuse was bad aim + boss with a tubular weak spot + time limit = boss dies with six seconds on the clock.

Ship designs were epic. ^^

Spire

III
BRoomer
Judging by how Nintendo is stalling Starfox and F-Zero, I have a hunch that when they finally make 'em, they will be wizardly epic. Kind of saving the best for later on, eh? I bet one of them will come out before Zelda Wii though just to keep balance maintained.

Marth117

Smash Cadet
Gamecube controller, as said, wouldnt be a bad idea either. At the bare minumum class controller. But they should take a crack at the joystick/throttle idea. If it turns out to be crap, you will have the gc/classic controller.

the ice level was the worst. So boring. The boss was easy, it was just that there is a time limit.

The aparoid queen can be tricky on hard, but it isnt bad at all.

LOVE the assault arwing design though.
Yeah I agree, the Arwing in Assault look great, possibly the best version of the series.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I like Assault's style, but I also somewhat liked the arwing models of Command. I mean, Falco had a REALLY cool looking Arwing in command, if it was remade with Assault arwing style then it would look epically awesome.

HAXage

Smash Rookie
yikes... this got bumped like crazy! :p

yes, it would be awesome times 9000 online.

You have seven registered members; I think it's fair to say that that kind of ruleset is not very balanced at all given that only seven members will make a verdict on said ruleset.
fair enough, but tbh, i can't agree with you. ever since i accidentally got suckered into playing pilot-only games i've seen how vehicles a] repeatedly and pathetically skew results of matches and b] force whoever plays to not use anything other than a vehicle - you will get *****, honestly.

If SFA had serious online potential, it would probably be better than Halo's online. It's more pick up and play, the controls are non complicated, and their are just the right amount of weapons to use.
*in absolute agreement*

cmon, i want a debate here, who's interested enough?

M@v

Subarashii!
I like Assault's style, but I also somewhat liked the arwing models of Command. I mean, Falco had a REALLY cool looking Arwing in command, if it was remade with Assault arwing style then it would look epically awesome.
I never played command( no DS), but I have seen gameplay and pictures. I don't like the idea of each team member of having a unique aircraft. I mean I can see its advantages for gameplay, but still. I like the base arwing design for fox though. It is probably tied with the N64 design.

There is only one thing I have against my favorite arwing: the assault version. Fox and the others seem to pilot it with two throttle like devices. Lol wut? Was it really that hard to put a joystick in?

HAXage

Smash Rookie
command was nothing more than an excuse to continue the plot - in terms of gameplay it was pretty pathetic.

i'd rather have Assault's take on full ground-based combat if - and this is the issue - the entire vehicle aspect wasn't so freaking cheap and designed to completely skew the results of matches.

HAXage

Smash Rookie
this sounds like a good idea!

I wonder if tiers will come out of this...
as far as we're concerned they already have... check out the link in my sig to see our take on them.

in SFA, however, instead of "this character is better than this one", with so few selections to make it becomes "this character has debatable skills" versus "this character has definite skills".

we've also discovered and developed advanced techniques. here's a FAQ outlining them if anyone's interested.

glad to hear more people are kinda interested in this. keep the discussion up

clowsui

Smash Legend
eh i still think we should test vehicular doubles
vehicular singles is ********

also falco fox slippy peppy krystal is a pathetic selection of characters T_T falco's too good though especially with his speed - combined with airdashing attempting to shoot him is a joke

hopefully SFWii will have more characters.

HAXage

Smash Rookie
eh i still think we should test vehicular doubles
possibly, although remember that for 4 players there's 4 vehicles, which again, either forces a camping game, kills players early and skews the match, or forces it to be an all-vehicle match where your only time on foot is running from LM to LM (or whatever).

falco's too good though especially with his speed - combined with airdashing attempting to shoot him is a joke
airdashing isn't exactly a foolproof thing, but yeah, falco is pretty cool (reason he's in top tier at the moment). however, unlike wolf, he's not imbalanced enough to ban him, and it takes skill to use a character like him.

slippy ***** him in the butt.

hopefully SFWii will have more characters.
yes, god, i can't hope that game comes fast enough. it would be truly epic, and since namco doesn't know jack about the advanced techs they won't know enough to destroy them all :p

HAXage

Smash Rookie
i still want to keep this debate going, so addressing this:

Here we have a situation where competitive experience is limited due to the small number of opponents and a community that is awfully limited or is just not unified. We also have a system that was established by these people with limited experience in terms of community + opponents. I'm not trying to demean the skill of HAXage and co. but what I'm trying to say is that you can't present the REVOLeague as an established institution if it's composed of only seven people who decided one day to make themselves the official leaders of a competitive community. It just doesn't work like that -_-
respectfully disagreeing, first of all because as the poster before the quoted one noted, we ARE the metagame and anyone trying to argue with that will run up into our multiple-year experience testing, designing, and creating new and interesting ways to play.

cac and i beat everyone we know, the only fair matches we can find around the place (except for strange fluke-y things) are between us two. now this may not be conclusive on its own, but THEN you couple it with the fact that SOMEONE has to say, at some point "I'm the metagame - i set the standards, and anyone challenging that will run up into... *quotes previous line*". no one else did it, so we tried.

i'm not trying to promote our skill as players here, but trying to get a larger amount of people to think about this. if anyone else wants to address something i said, go ahead

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeah. Well, seeing as there is no chance in hell that the REVOLeague will take off, there's no point in having community leaders.

But, you are. Though it will never happen, you guys are the ones who know the most about Assult. Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but until SFWii comes out, no big multiplayer tournies will ever exist.

HAXage

Smash Rookie
Yeah. Well, seeing as there is no chance in hell that the REVOLeague will take off, there's no point in having community leaders.
care to elaborate on this? why the stream of pessimism? if there's something that wrong with whatever we're doing, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to fix it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. Just, Assult never has and never will be popular enough to have a serious competitive following. The same fifty or so guys doesn't count.

HAXage

Smash Rookie
that, i can agree with, this, however, i have to note: if we do have enough recognition, when SFWii does actually come out we may get this great big spillover into our community, thus, the endless beating of the dead horse here on SmashBoards. :p

now ask yourself: IS HE REALLY SERIOUS? is he messing with our heads? MAKE IT STOP

DethToll

Smash Cadet
Vehicles are just insane. You can friggin' press Z to negate 80% of an incoming hit, and if you hog them, it's pretty unfair.

@everyone who says our community can be squashed by a finger - you have a point. At least we try. Hax has always been the optimist and I have always been the pessimist about growth, but we and the rest of us will maintain either way

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
I think competitive Star Fox seems interesting.

I would like to look into counterpicking (if they have that) more.

DethToll

Smash Cadet
I think competitive Star Fox seems interesting.

I would like to look into counterpicking (if they have that) more.
Most stages are pretty neutral, but Corneria's a hella good pick for Falco, Fichina for Krystal, and faster chars for Ap. City, other than that stage/character advantages don't matter all that much. Not as much as Melee at least.

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
thinking of this, could there be competitive Mario Power tennis, Kirby air ride, or maybe competitive Mario party?

If HALO is the number one game played in MLG, this sounds cool!

HAXage

Smash Rookie
thinking of this, could there be competitive Mario Power tennis, Kirby air ride, or maybe competitive Mario party?

If HALO is the number one game played in MLG, this sounds cool!
comp Kirby Air Ride fails due to lack of variety (2 buttons used means no techs, no delving deeper into the game, etc), competitive Mario Party also fails due to luck being used more than skill, but not sure about Tennis as i've never played it.

halo is not a great comp game, it's more based on strategy and quick reflexes than actual competitive gaming, and again, there's an absence of techs, so doesn't sound possible.

believe me, we've considered this. "are we wasting our time here?" x_X

DethToll

Smash Cadet
Lol competitive Mario Party. It takes about the skill of betting on which stage the random stage selector will land on.

Clowsui, vehicular doubles has been and would be ridiculous. Whoever can gain control of the most Arwings = Falco domination = use vehicles or die = games thrown based on vehicle spawns.
I like how there are just BARELY enough chars to work out; yeah it sucks there are so few, but there's a triangle (Falc > Krys > Slip > Falc) and two very different outsiders (Fox, Pep).

HAXage

Smash Rookie
mainly bump, but just wanted to point out that i want online Star Fox just as much... but if they keep focusing on games like freaking Command, don't know if it'll happen.

if they cut down the amount of vehicles spawning at a time and had 8+ players playing on one stage, i'd play that. seeing SFX develop into something that big would be awesome.

the problem with Assault vehicles is that they're too frequent - 4 vehicles for 4 players just means vehicle wars, and tbh, you can play that on your own time

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I enjoyed SFA, and while I think the multiplayer is fun, and I've played it often, I don't think it would attract enough followers to merit a full scale tournament or competitive scene for the game to be honest.

I mean I've spent countless hours getting high scores in the single player modes, and I feel like that would be good enough competition- see who can get the world records and such.

I just don't think that Assault's multiplayer is deep enough for competitive level play

HAXage

Smash Rookie
can you use the Nintendo GameCube Broadband Adapter that would allow you to play multiplayer on separate TV's?
think so. we don't know entirely. however, screen-cheating is not a big deal as this game focuses more on skill rather than tactics and strategy, so knowing where your opponent is exactly is not a huge advantage.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
my very very competitive and obsessive headquarters.
Every time I click it, it goes here. Did you move to a different site or what?
Oh, I'm all for competitive SFA, but having only recently joined the competitive gaming scene myself, I have [almost] no idea what it takes for a game to have competitive potential. All I know is this, if there was a SFA tourney near me, I would definitely go to it.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Strong bump. This game actually has a really amazing multiplayer, with loads of map variety and cool weapons and vehicles. Unfortunately I feel like barriers are a really stupid implementation and kind of single handedly ruined it. Either way there doesn't seem to be much of a following. It's a shame, it really was a fun game.

Top Bottom