• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standards of the Melee community - Urge to become Better

Aniolas

Smash Ace
Great thread of Strife.

About commentary: In europe, we haven't really so much experience. I can think of a handfull of tournaments that have had it. At BEAST II we tried out a couple of guys, and some did pretty good (myself and Viper had a good mix of some humor, history between players and the MU) and some will never be allowed to comment again (MikeHagger, which some thought was funny, who really was a disgrace).

I personally love when husband and wife comments matches. The proposal, let commentators in for free, maybe let them play in the tournaments for free too, sounded good. If we want good and serious commentators, we need to give something back.

It's the same with recording. AJP is absolutely awesome, both in quality and to put them up on the internet. Every TO let him in for free, because nobody can offer the service he can. And without him we would have crap videos.

Stream - It's also quite new in europe. BEAST one had a poor stream for awhile before a guy knocked down the computer. BEAST II had one, which I guess was about the same quality as it use to be in the US. Apart from that, I don't think we have had stream before, maybe I forget some tournament. Anyway, compared to other games it's a disgrace.

I don't know if a couple of TO's could get together and by a good stream channel, and take turns who's able to use it. It's never two major tournaments at once. I don't have any knowledge about streaming channels though.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I've had to readjust some of my scepticism about commentary, but I have a few remarks regardless:
  • Livestreams tend to have commentary aaaaaaaaaaaall the way through and by the time the big matches hit I'm really tired of the same people, so it should be mixed up in order to keep it interesting, or just don't do it till the matches get interesting.
  • I rather have no commentary than bad commentary. I don't care for the commentator's own opinions/bias, unnecessary profanity and the screaming of "HYYYYYYYYYYYPE" with every move. And while we're at it, not every single hit that connects is the result of an "amazing read".
  • Matches should be uploaded to YouTube without commentary, unless the commentary was really about the match and makes a worthwhile contribution (kind of subjective). Way too often the commentators are just joking with the chat or have some other conversation going on.
  • Vids are forever, livestreams aren't. It's better to have high quality vids than just a rip of the livestream.
  • We're a community without professional backing, so we just have to do what we can. The really good commentators can be given like free entrance or something similar, but we should work on getting proper recording and livestreams first.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I've had to readjust some of my scepticism about commentary, but I have a few remarks regardless:
  • Livestreams tend to have commentary aaaaaaaaaaaall the way through and by the time the big matches hit I'm really tired of the same people, so it should be mixed up in order to keep it interesting, or just don't do it till the matches get interesting.
  • I rather have no commentary than bad commentary. I don't care for the commentator's own opinions/bias, unnecessary profanity and the screaming of "HYYYYYYYYYYYPE" with every move. And while we're at it, not every single hit that connects is the result of an "amazing read".
  • Matches should be uploaded to YouTube without commentary, unless the commentary was really about the match and makes a worthwhile contribution (kind of subjective). Way too often the commentators are just joking with the chat or have some other conversation going on.
  • Vids are forever, livestreams aren't. It's better to have high quality vids than just a rip of the livestream.
  • We're a community without professional backing, so we just have to do what we can. The really good commentators can be given like free entrance or something similar, but we should work on getting proper recording and livestreams first.
I want to post this in the MD thread.

Top Bottom