• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standards of the Melee community - Urge to become better

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I think reviewing our community I think we have come to a point where we have to ask where do we go from here.

What I see is that a lot of people feel that we are just good the way we are. I really disagree with this notion. There are dozen of ways we can improve and I feel someone needs to say something.

TOs

It all starts with you guys. You cannot just sit there and think that moderate is good enough. I know there are dozen of people that record matches and I feel we lose out on a lot by not working with them / compensating them and the like.

You TOs know who you are. You sit there and just believe that your name will be good enough. When the tournament happens you run it decently but , instead of growing this further and looking for more than just local stuff, you sit there in your horrid venues collecting money while others bust their tail for you.

I also think TOs need to start paying people for commentary. This would resolve a lot of issues. We cannot have a great game being ruined by people acting like a bunch of fools on camera. We might as well not have commentary if we think that acting like a bunch of children is good enough for us. While you may think paying them is a big deal you can offer them things like free venue or something.

If you have someone do something for you or offer IT IS YOUR TOURNAMENT. You control ultimate what everyone does and how things should work. If people are unprofessional then they should not be helping in the first place and are not welcome in the community.

Make efforts to talk to the new players give them a good experience. OTG , myself, D1 do this and those newcomers are more likely to come back for those reasons. Step out of your clique and talk to those people that look new.

Finally when you post results try to make an effort to post all the characters used. It helps in the long run.

Commentating Teams

Ok guys. Everyone in the universe thinks they can commentate. Here is a reality...you cannot. Does this mean you cannot improve? No but what it means is that just saying "Swag" or "GET *****" is not helping the community. Now it is understandable that many think this is the popular thing to do but it does not help us in the long run. Great sets are ruined because of it.

What is in it for you? If you are asking this you want something so just ask for free venue or something. That is only after, IMO , you can prove yourself to be a great commentator. That is what we need BEYOND anything in this community. We need to have pride in doing this and to help make ourselves better.

Streams

Frankly put our streams are not even close to being up to par with any game. You want to see a stream? This is a smash stream :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YNAqwH19Y&feature=channel_video_title

I find it hard to believe with all the people in this community that do great recording that we cannot get a great stream. Even beyond equipment we need people with a good sense of direction. Having a screen that basically makes the match small with a player cam and a commentator cam is great until the match starts. I do not need to see anything else. None of this is hard to do it is a matter of people with brains and a professionalism to do their job.

That brings me to the one thing streams need to realize. You are an ASSET to the community not the end all be all. Everyone can be replaced and its not hard to do what you do. To put it simply...Apex had to choose someone outside the community because of this. There is no melee or brawl stream that is EVEN close to the professionalism and ability that Jaxel at 8wayrun has. You want to be better ? Work at it. Be smart and help with recording the stream and producing a stream not just using a pinnacle with a few splitters.

Come on guys I have seen how great this community can be and we are not invalids that do not know what to do. Be smart ask around. Hell I am down to answer questions since I know all of this from the back of my hand. Stop settling for crap and start improving. After so long we deserve it. If it means you have to work with Brawl players then do it. I HIGHLY doubt brawl players who can stream well would be upset if you ask.

tl;dr - Step it up cause Apex is only once a year

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
...I think "hoodlums" was pretty bad word choice.

I've said a lot about this subject in the past, but I'll reiterate one key point: hype commentary has brought a lot of new players into this game, and while I think informative analysis has its place, it should not be done at the cost of minimizing excitement.

Lets just have the best of both worlds. I don't think its productive to shun some of the greatest contributors the community has ever had just because they commentate in a different style.

Over the last few years people have gotten so god damn critical of commentary that no one wants to do it anymore. Smash vids have been overwhelmingly commentary-less for the last year and a half. THAT IS TERRIBLE, and I think what we need to focus on is fixing the quantity of commentated sets, much more than the style of which they are commentated.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree with this thread, whenever new people want to start to play and we have commentary were all there saying is "Swag" and all that jazz, it makes us look bad as a community and it's part of the reason other fight game communitys don't respect us.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I am more saying that our professionalism needs to improve. You can have a hype match and have color commentary.

Hoodlum was just a random word I thought off.

Over the last few years people have gotten so god damn critical of commentary that no one wants to do it anymore. Smash vids have been overwhelmingly commentary-less for the last year and a half. THAT IS TERRIBLE, and I think what we need to focus on is fixing the quantity of commentated sets, much more than the style of which they are commentated.

I do not agree. I feel that we have so many people that beg to commentary. We need quality not quantity. I'll take an Ultradavid vs Jaha saying swag and trolling any day. It helps us grow and not look like a bunch of twits.

To say reject people for their "style" its not that its more of they cannot learn and grow their commentary and realize we are heading towards a bigger picture not just what we have now. Dogy has gone and become one of the best commentators in Melee IMO by working hard and trying. I do not think what we have in melee is good enough commentary wise.

Actually its best to say this...what is being done now is kinda...outdated. Years ago it was ok to have this but now I think all gaming communities are moving more towards a professional look and feel. Do you think we should not do the same?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I do not agree. I feel that we have so many people that beg to commentary.
Oh, I'm sure plenty of people would like to commentate. That doesn't mean commentary happens.

Facts are facts. I'm subscribed to like 50 melee channels right now. Of those 50, ATVSmash has Taj commentating in like a third of AZ's tournaments and stab's channel has Dendy for a third of socal's tournaments. The other 48 channels have next to no commentary nowadays, even if they used to. Ajpanton has no commentary, except for a select few finals matches at Genesis, and he uploaded the biggest event of the year as well as the biggest European tournament of the year (Beast 2). New England, Tristate, MD/VA, Michigan, Florida, Southeast, EC & WC Canada, and Europe videos never have commentary nowadays.

I watch a ton of smash vids. Actually, just about every single one that comes out. And I'd say 90+% of those released within the last year and a half are without commentary.

Its a serious problem, and I think it stems from the fact that uploaders have become so selective about commentators because of criticism that they just don't bother with it at all.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I think its more of the people who record do not know how to include commentary on their recordings.

Remember most people use pinnacles ( ugh i hate those things ) and they do not know how to use it properly to record audio from a mic.

That is what I think people should change. Be like many others and INVEST in your recording. Just because you can go to a best buy and spend 30 bucks on a crappy capture hardware does not mean you should stop there. Go beyond that and get best out of what you are doing.

I doubt we set a high standard because the Melee vids with commentary are either pretty good or REALLY bad. We have to set a standard IMO and move beyond.

In our region ( tristate ) there are commentators all around. I do not really agree with this whole " they are scared to commentate cause of our high standards" I really think its more of the fault that people do not know how to use hardware/software and just other things I just mentioned.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I think its more of the people who record do not know how to include commentary on their recordings.

Remember most people use pinnacles ( ugh i hate those things ) and they do not know how to use it properly to record audio from a mic.

That is what I think people should change. Be like many others and INVEST in your recording. Just because you can go to a best buy and spend 30 bucks on a crappy capture hardware does not mean you should stop there. Go beyond that and get best out of what you are doing.

I doubt we set a high standard because the Melee vids with commentary are either pretty good or REALLY bad. We have to set a standard IMO and move beyond.

In our region ( tristate ) there are commentators all around. I do not really agree with this whole " they are scared to commentate cause of our high standards" I really think its more of the fault that people do not know how to use hardware/software and just other things I just mentioned.
This is part of it, but not the whole story. Plenty of people have recording setups with commentary available, but either don't let people commentate or nobody wants to.

There are channels which used to have commentary, and then stopped. That doesn't happen because of a lack of knowledge; if they didn't know how to set up commentary they couldn't have done it 2 years ago. Its just that there have been countless threads and youtube comments criticizing commentary or calling it "useless" that people just don't think its worth the effort anymore. These are not my words, I've asked these questions to tons of uploaders and thats their answer.

Its a sad state of affairs.

Actually its best to say this...what is being done now is kinda...outdated. Years ago it was ok to have this but now I think all gaming communities are moving more towards a professional look and feel. Do you think we should not do the same?
I don't think we need to follow what other gaming communities are doing in order to succeed. We are superior to them in many ways and are inferior in others. What makes us special are the colorful personalities we have, and if keeping them authentic means sacrificing professionalism, then so be it. Our target demographic is males between their teens and late 30s. Saying curse words is not going deter them one bit, in fact its probably going to make things seem more provocative lol.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Crimson I am passing out but we will def continue this when I wake up.

All I will say is I think I know what you want out of the community but I think , IMO, that what you think makes the community is not what I think it does plus I think we need to reach out to becoming more professional rather than anything else.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Crimson I am passing out but we will def continue this when I wake up.

All I will say is I think I know what you want out of the community but I think , IMO, that what you think makes the community is not what I think it does plus I think we need to reach out to becoming more professional rather than anything else.
Alright, I'm awaiting your response; its always fun to discuss things with you :)

Its hella late here too so I probably should go to bed lolz

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I also think TOs need to start paying people for commentary. This would resolve a lot of issues. We cannot have a great game being ruined by people acting like a bunch of fools on camera. We might as well not have commentary if we think that acting like a bunch of children is good enough for us. While you may think paying them is a big deal you can offer them things like free venue or something.
I think that this is a good idea, actually. I think that paying them is a little much, but waived venue fee for commentary seems like a pretty good idea. It would give people an incentive to commentate well on matches, and attract more people to the game. I actually like that you mentioned Dogysamich, because he comments on the match well, while still being witty and interesting. More commentary like his (not in style, but perhaps in content value) should exist.

Make efforts to talk to the new players give them a good experience. OTG , myself, D1 do this and those newcomers are more likely to come back for those reasons. Step out of your clique and talk to those people that look new.
Yes. This is extremely important. I'm more likely to be interested in something, anything, really, if people interact with me. I might be new, and uncomfortable talking with people I don't know, and being brought in like that really gives me a good impression of the community. Even a simple, "Hey, want to play some friendlies?" will work wonders.

Finally when you post results try to make an effort to post all the characters used. It helps in the long run.
Mind explaining this? I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand why it matters.

Ok guys. Everyone in the universe thinks they can commentate. Here is a reality...you cannot. Does this mean you cannot improve? No but what it means is that just saying "Swag" or "GET *****" is not helping the community. Now it is understandable that many think this is the popular thing to do but it does not help us in the long run. Great sets are ruined because of it.
While Crimson's point about hype commentary attracting new people is obviously true to some degree (I certainly wasn't turned away by it when I started out), I don't think that all-hype commentary is appropriate for attracting new viewers. When something hype happens in the match, then it's fine, but I feel like commentators should focus on giving information more, to attract new people. This should probably happen on a local/regional level (at first, at least), because those matches/sets aren't usually as hyped as nationals.

ALSO. You mentioned it in the commentary thread, but here is a better place for it: HMW and Phil at Genesis 2, on the Armada/Hbox set. Their behavior was, to be completely honest, rather embarrassing. The attitude that they had towards the players was disrespectful, and doesn't really sound good at ALL to a newcomer. My second point is that we are going to LOSE PLAYERS if we keep calling them "gay" for using characters like Peach or Jigglypuff (or even Sheik). That's the bottom line. I'm actually surprised that Hungrybox hasn't quit this game in disgust, to be honest. The attitude that players take towards him, and others, in their crusade to be "legit" makes no sense. If I have fun playing a certain way with a certain character, and all people can say to me is, "Your character is so gay," or, "You camp like a ******," or something of that nature, I am not going to want to play that game. Period. The reason people play this game is to have fun playing the way they want to, not to be jeered at and called names because they use a character that someone has a problem with. Honestly, I think that's one of the biggest problems (if not the biggest) with the Melee community, is the intolerance.

But yeah, I guess I agree with your message. Our presence on a national level is very important.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i don't let people commentate on my vids because

1) most people's commentaries suck or just trash talk and stuff
2) it's another 3 steps in the video editing process and I have to change formats to sync audio.

ALSO. You mentioned it in the commentary thread, but here is a better place for it: HMW and Phil at Genesis 2, on the Armada/Hbox set. Their behavior was, to be completely honest, rather embarrassing. The attitude that they had towards the players was disrespectful, and doesn't really sound good at ALL to a newcomer. My second point is that we are going to LOSE PLAYERS if we keep calling them "gay" for using characters like Peach or Jigglypuff (or even Sheik). That's the bottom line. I'm actually surprised that Hungrybox hasn't quit this game in disgust, to be honest. The attitude that players take towards him, and others, in their crusade to be "legit" makes no sense. If I have fun playing a certain way with a certain character, and all people can say to me is, "Your character is so gay," or, "You camp like a ******," or something of that nature, I am not going to want to play that game. Period. The reason people play this game is to have fun playing the way they want to, not to be jeered at and called names because they use a character that someone has a problem with. Honestly, I think that's one of the biggest problems (if not the biggest) with the Melee community, is the intolerance.
So this

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah, straight up about the insults based on game play. I'm currently in the process of completely cutting "gay" and "****" from my vocabulary completely because it really does just sound horrible and does not reflect my true attitude towards things (I have the bad habit of going "OMG so gay" at something when I mess up because I'm frustrated, but I'm always just mad at myself, not whatever my opponent did).

As far as commentary, it is very much like a recipe. You can't go without the legit analytic commentary, but it certainly makes things more exciting/fun when you can add in just a pinch of hype. When someone gets 0-deathed, no one wants to really hear what so-and-so should have done. They want the commentator to be like, "OMG that was crazy!" However, if you have someone hyping the entire game, then when something like that actually happens there is less of a difference. If the commentator has been going "OMG" the whole set, then when something crazy happens it seems LESS impressive. So basically, keep the humor/hype, just keep it for the appropriate occasions.

As always, the new player retention thing is a huge deal. As welcoming as the community seems from the inside, new players certainly feel the wall that is put up immediately. I've always tried to get in a few games with new players and give them some tips while just having fun, but I think everyone as a whole needs to pitch in a little for these kinds of things. I really don't see why everyone couldn't take the time to play just a single set with a new player. I understand the better players kind of just don't want to waste their time, but even something as simple as picking the worst player in your pool and asking him to play just 5-6 friendlies afterwards can make a huge difference in their experience.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
It should be something in between what Alex Strife (right wing) is saying and what CrimsonBlur (left wing) is saying. I'm a moderate. :grin:

the_CAM_factor

Smash Journeyman
the ct smash ludus... or ecsu when im at school
there is definitely different types of commentary and both can be used successful. I remember listening to the hype commentary in the m2k vs dsw set at rom and it really made me want to get good at melee, the commentators added to the match by being explosive and reflected how i felt. On the other hand, people with knowledge such as how wife and husband in the m2k vs armada match-up provided alot of insight into a battle that not as many knew about. Another example would be kirbykaze at the Big House where he managed to commentate the matchups and i believe, was able go into the mentality of the players, discussing their strengths.

Both have strengths and I believe the later to be more professional, it would hard to see melee without the hype ones. On a side note I get really distracted when a commentator has an bias without acknowledging it, Im all for cheering for your friend, but dont let it impede your ability to narrate the match.

Max?

Smash Champion
I didn't really read this thread, but I saw that you put down the word "Swag", and as a modern day 'Basetheist' (worshipper of the Based God, Lil' B), I take offense to this. Swag isn't a word, it's a lifestyle and a mentality backed up by the laws of the Based God.

For shame sir,

For shame

Also, **** the melee community. No one gives a ****.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
^^ Your posts are really annoying. I see now why many people don't like you.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
What's even worse is how the rest of the tournament they kept making comments like "it's good to finally see legit Melee, we had so many whack sets here at Genesis." Now that doesn't make the game look good, does it? The fact that only certain matchups, played by certain players, in a certain style, is "legit". I'm as big of fan of color commentary as the next guy, and I usually like HMW's work, but unhyping a tournament that we've waited months to see is not conducive to a healthy community.

At first glance I kind of disagreed with Alex Strife's post. I felt like it had an air of judgement and "no fun allowed". But the more I think about it and put myself in the shoes of a newcomer to the smash scene, the more it makes sense. We will always be able to hype it up and have fun at tourneys. But look at the Brawl livestream. Look at the livestreams from Evo. I'd love to be involved in a tournament that offered that.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah, straight up about the insults based on game play. I'm currently in the process of completely cutting "gay" and "****" from my vocabulary completely because it really does just sound horrible and does not reflect my true attitude towards things (I have the bad habit of going "OMG so gay" at something when I mess up because I'm frustrated, but I'm always just mad at myself, not whatever my opponent did).

As far as commentary, it is very much like a recipe. You can't go without the legit analytic commentary, but it certainly makes things more exciting/fun when you can add in just a pinch of hype. When someone gets 0-deathed, no one wants to really hear what so-and-so should have done. They want the commentator to be like, "OMG that was crazy!" However, if you have someone hyping the entire game, then when something like that actually happens there is less of a difference. If the commentator has been going "OMG" the whole set, then when something crazy happens it seems LESS impressive. So basically, keep the humor/hype, just keep it for the appropriate occasions.

As always, the new player retention thing is a huge deal. As welcoming as the community seems from the inside, new players certainly feel the wall that is put up immediately. I've always tried to get in a few games with new players and give them some tips while just having fun, but I think everyone as a whole needs to pitch in a little for these kinds of things. I really don't see why everyone couldn't take the time to play just a single set with a new player. I understand the better players kind of just don't want to waste their time, but even something as simple as picking the worst player in your pool and asking him to play just 5-6 friendlies afterwards can make a huge difference in their experience.
That reminds me that, what you are basically describing would be like a Hockey game commentary, right? To me, I guess that's ideal but if you have like duo commentary, someone needs to be more one side than the other. I mean someone who's more "hype" and someone who can explain things pretty good... There's definitely not many that can do that.

Max?

Smash Champion
^^ Your posts are really annoying. I see now why many people don't like you.
!!! What will I do if random fake *****s on an internet forum don't like me?

Oh wait, I dont' give a ****.

Actually, congratulations Strife, you have earned yourself a mention on the upcoming episode of State of the Fake. Should be recorded tonight.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
We need to fly out Husband and Wife to nationals. Smash community's version of Ultra David and James Chen.

As for commentary, I think HMW-esque commentary is fine at locals and stuff... the same rules apply in the FGC. But at nationals, Seth Killian, Ultra David, Ski Sonic or James Chen are on the mic, and based god/swag is no where to be found. Which is how it should be.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Im sorry but Seth Killian is not a good commentator, he gives no respect to players he doesn't like.. IE all the non-US players.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I agree with Alex. Although I must admit I do kind of enjoy DJ and Waffle's commentary. I mean cmon, wombo combo?
But at the same time I really did wish we had more commentators like Wife. I always wanted to commentate and if I had the chance to I would take in his footsteps. Just listening to Wife and Prog commentate together made the matches that much more entertaining and I learned a lot about the players and match ups.
I doubt TO's will ever pay for commentary. People should just try and do it more professional, but of course have fun aswell.

EDIT: I also watched the stream example you showed. That looks much better and professional compared to what we have. Especially the commentary.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
This week, I met a nine year old kid at the local game shop who suddenly said Wombo Combo while we were playing.
A nine year old will never remember Wife's commentary, despite how good, cool and professional it is. We need the emotions for commentary.

I'm also surprised you didn't mention the behavior of participants, Alex. They're quite a big part in the tournament and their general behavior outside of the game is very important in creating a nice tournament that you want to come back to.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I feel like I'm the only one who prefers videos without commentary because that **** is almost never good. Either it's just screaming and smack talk, which can be fun but annoying, or people trying to be informative, which is boring.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
We need to fly out Husband and Wife to nationals. Smash community's version of Ultra David and James Chen.

As for commentary, I think HMW-esque commentary is fine at locals and stuff... the same rules apply in the FGC. But at nationals, Seth Killian, Ultra David, Ski Sonic or James Chen are on the mic, and based god/swag is no where to be found. Which is how it should be.
Indeed.

10chars.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Im sorry but Seth Killian is not a good commentator, he gives no respect to players he doesn't like.. IE all the non-US players.
What are you talking about? I challenge you to give me an example of a foreign player who Seth Killian has disrespected.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ok.. do you even notice his tone of voice change when he talks about a player he doesn't like? There you go. I don't think he'll ever go out of his way to talk about a player from the non-US, he always needs to be reminded by his co-commentary. And he would say something like: "Yes, he was certainly a force in this tournament.." then stop right there without giving any hype whatsoever.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
It should be something in between what Alex Strife (right wing) is saying and what CrimsonBlur (left wing) is saying. I'm a moderate. :grin:

I'd consider myself a moderate too. I think uploaders shouldn't allow overly offensive **** to be commentated, but at the same time they shouldn't ask someone to lose their personality. I've been a big proponent of dropping "gay" out of our vocab ("****" I'm much more lenient on), but other than that I think anything goes. The biggest thing I have a problem with is straight up dissing players, without comedic effect. So yeah, I didn't like some parts of the Genesis commentary too.

But I think thats less an issue of professional v. unprofessional commentary, but more about just not being an *******. Either in commentary or not, I don't think we should diss players because of the characters they play.

I don't want us to devolve to UltraDavid and Skisonic on the mic. That is to say, 2 dudes saying the same basic things over and over again. "Oh no he dropped the combo!," "Could we see a comeback?," and "<insert> character/player is sooo good!" is the vast majority of their rambling. Their style has its place, but mostly as filler. Anyone who actually pays attention to the FGC would know its actually been teamSpooky-esque commentary that has gotten everyone's attention ("salt," "floeface," etc), along with the work of the crosscounter guys. Its the personalities (Mike Ross, Gootecks, Combofiend, Arturo, etc) that keep drawing people back to FGC streams, not bland commentary.

In the end, we are playing a video game. Sports are no different; the more entertaining the cast of characters, the more people like it. We are not ESPN and we shouldn't want to be. When people spend their leisurely time they want to hear Charles, Ernie, and Kennie and not Jon Barry, Mike Wilbon, and the rest of the ESPN clowns (for the few of you who got that comparison, <3). What we need to do is provide an entertaining show, first and foremost. We should actively find the most engaging personalities and let their talent shine.

And we have that. Look at our strengths. We are grassroots, so we aren't bogged down by corporate burdens, and we have a great, diverse set of people who are passionate about helping the scene grow. These are HUGE positives about our community and we shouldn't be quick to forget them.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
What's even worse is how the rest of the tournament they kept making comments like "it's good to finally see legit Melee, we had so many whack sets here at Genesis." Now that doesn't make the game look good, does it? The fact that only certain matchups, played by certain players, in a certain style, is "legit". I'm as big of fan of color commentary as the next guy, and I usually like HMW's work, but unhyping a tournament that we've waited months to see is not conducive to a healthy community.
this

10this

:phone:

Wake

Smash Master

At first glance I kind of disagreed with Alex Strife's post. I felt like it had an air of judgement and "no fun allowed". But the more I think about it and put myself in the shoes of a newcomer to the smash scene, the more it makes sense. We will always be able to hype it up and have fun at tourneys. But look at the Brawl livestream. Look at the livestreams from Evo. I'd love to be involved in a tournament that offered that.
There were similar things happening at Evo. People were booing every time a Phoenix player won. Has anyone seen the comments on the finals? It certainly isn't just the Melee community.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
hey max, life lesson

people who actually dont care what other people think of them dont try their best to remind everybody of that fact as often as possible

the more you post that you dont care what people you insult think of you, the more you seem like you do care what everyone else on the forum thinks of you

just a tip, the way you act now just seems a little fake

oh hold on, its just like that show where the dwarf acted like he was cool and confident and didnt give a ****, but really is just a lonely shell of a man; you'd probably identify with that character and base your whole account off of him if you saw the show

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Alex strife is right about this.

we need to commentate more professional. All this stack it up, Swag, **** stuff got to go. The Melee community has grown into this world (after Kens departure) about **** and all of this foolishness. After MLG stopped sponsoring Melee, everyone has accepted this handicap mentality "Well since MLG is not sponsoring melee any more and they are sponsoring brawl now, I guess we are on our own". The community needs to stop this. This (I'll carry the weight) mentality needs to stop. Pound V commentary with wife was great, still the best iv'e seen in 2011. Commentary at the highest level draws people that don't even know the game into the game.

This video inspired me to take up smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pYIadEGBsc&feature=related

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
you cannot compare chants like stack it up/swag/other memes or to using words like "****" or "gay." they are not in the same stratosphere wrt "professionalism". yeah, if we are going to broadcast to large audiences then there's a line we don't want to cross while trying to create hype or express excitement. no arguments there but a large portion of what create/facilitates hype is innocuous

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yea, or when dudes say n igga like ten times in a row. I'm black, I say n igga, but at the same time when you spam it like its the only word in your vocabulary, it makes you sound ignorant and can be so annoying that I've actually had to mute videos before just to avoid the commentary.... which is pretty weak.

Top Bottom