• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stalling Luma With Taunts

Otter Power

Smash Rookie
Hi! I don't really post often, but I haven't seen any discussion on this topic anywhere. I wanted to share it and see if it's actually worth talking about, or a dud of a tech?

I've noticed that when you taunt with Rosalina, she can cancel her taunt midway through and run off, jump, etcetera. Luma, however, will remain stationary and do its full taunt before quickly zooming back to Rosalina (unless commanded to do an attack). While Luma is flying back (or still in a taunt state), you can even keep taunting to keep it in place. If you alternate taunts with dashes in-between, you can keep Luma in place indefinitely and run all the way to the other side of Palu's temple with it still considered tethered. You can stall with Star Bits (side-B) similarly, but the taunt animation lasts longer and you can reposition Rosalina while Luma stays put.

This works when Luma is tethered to Rosalina, when it's called back from Luma Shot, or most importantly, after a DAC Luma launch. So if you've ever done the latter too early, and want to keep Luma out still, you can taunt if you don't want to use star bits. When detethered, it will only work when Luma is on the ground. It won't taunt if detethered and in the air.

I know you can't taunt in quickplay, so it's only really applicable to friendlies and IRL games. But do you reckon this could be put to good use? Or at least for an amusing meme? Let me know.

Top Bottom