• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages for The Plant

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
Thought I would start a thread for advice on stage picking and any stage specific Plant Tech.

I'll start with my thoughts on the stages that are legal at the weekly I go to, ordered by how good I think they are for our beloved Piranha Plant.

Lylat:
- Possibly the Plant's best stage?
- Ptooie can roll from the side platforms, to the stage, and then off the stage, which keeps the hitbox out longer and covers a fairly wide space.
- The slopes make grounded Long-Stem Strike hit horizontally off stage, and let you duck under many projectiles.
- When recovering low, recover up into the ship! You get pushed to the ledge super fast from a position that's difficult to cover and nearly impossible to spike.

Battlefield:
- Platform arrangement is very nice for stage control and mixing up high Piranhacopter landings.
- Platforms are low enough to hit through with Up-tilt and grounded Poison Breath, and close enough together to cover two with one Ptooie.
- When recovering low, make sure to angle into the stage, it's not as safe as Lylat, but you will be pushed to the ledge while keeping your head in a harder place to spike.

Yoshi's Story:
- Being smaller than Battlefiled is a plus in matchups against faster characters, but the platforms are higher and further apart making them harder to cover.
- The combination of slopes Ptooie can roll off of and a walled ledge makes Ptooie very good against vertical recoveries here.
- The slopes also make grounded Long-Stem Strike hit horizontally off stage.
- When recovering low you can angle into the wall so your leaf hitboxes are pointed up and your head hurtboxes are pushed into the wall. You're still pretty vulnerable to spikes, but its safer than just going straight up along the wall.

Yoshi's Island (Brawl):
- Great when The Plant is below the main platform sharking with Up-Air or Ptooie, but not so great when The Plant is the one having trouble landing.
- The small slopes at the ledge actually seem to make it harder to bounce/roll Ptooie off stage, but do give you a nice low Long-Stem Strike angle.
- Again, when recovering low, angle into the wall for slightly safer hitbox/hurtbox positioning.

Smashville:
- Pretty neutral stage for The Plant.
- You can angle into the stage when recovering low. Its a little more generous than it looks, but not amazing.

Pokemon Stadium 1:
- Wider stages are generally not good for The Plant unless you're in a matchup where you can win a hit and run Poison Breath game. Giving your opponent more room to run lets them reset Neutral more often, and The Plant can struggle in neutral, especially when approaching.
- Platforms are low enough to hit through with Up-Tilt and grounded Poison Breath.
- Low recoveries can be angled into the stage similarly to battlefield, but its harder to see where the point of pineappling begins

Unova:
- Not as wide as PS1, but the Platforms being closer to the ledge and higher up makes them harder to cover and better for escaping Poison Breath ledge traps.
- Again, when recovering low angle into the wall.

Kalos:
- Wider than PS1 with a more disadvantageous platform layout than Unova.
- Again, again, when recovering low angle into the wall.

Final Destination:
- Platforms are good for The Plant. They provide places to land when recovering high, and The Plant is very good at covering them. Not having any is not great.

Top Bottom