• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages by splat

splat

Smash Lord

"Bowser's Castle is Bowser's domicile and the base of operations for the Koopa Troop. Bowser has a variety of different castles throughout the Mushroom World, each of which usually functions as an important base from which the Koopa King formulates his plans. Bowser's Castle is usually the final area that Mario visits to defeat Bowser and rescue Princess Peach, and is usually guarded by Bowser's most powerful minions."
- Mario Wiki
Bowser has invited you to visit his home turf - and you don't say 'no' to Bowser, do you? Those who have played any Mario game will know it will not be a pleasant visit. Luckily for you, this stage is relatively tame. Three almost horizontal platforms over a pillar won't interrupt the battle too much. Be wary though: don't try to mess with the lava here! Touch it and you may find yourself in a huge pickle. With his increased power in Project M, the Koopa King himself may prove to be the biggest threat here. Or Fox, of course. Always keep Fox in mind.

Note by Xenozoa425: "This stage goes over Mario Circuit by default, as well as Final Destination and Luigi's Mansion without the need for a REL file. There's also an optional REL file for those who'd prefer to use the stage over Rainbow Cruise instead of the stages just listed, however you will not have as many choices for music if used over Rainbow Cruise."

video preview by Xenozoa425

Design influences
This version of Bowser's Castle uses part of an SSE stage, but one that reminds heavily of the second area of Mario Galaxy's Bowser's Galaxy Generator. The pillar itself is based on the starting platform of the same level. The metal platforms are seen in various iterations of Bowser's Castle, as are carpets (or flags, for that matter) featuring Bowser's icon.

Thanks section
This stage was created by Mewtwo2000, Xenozoa425 and me. A big thanks to you guys.
I'd also like to thank Timde and Nausicaa for working on it in the past.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
It gets better and better each time I look at it. All it's really missing at this point is just more aesthetic treats, like a statue and the animated Podoboo.

Hopefully this'll be included in the next demo of Project M. :D

splat

Smash Lord
It gets better and better each time I look at it. All it's really missing at this point is just more aesthetic treats, like a statue and the animated Podoboo.
Animated Podoboo are included in the version on my computer - as seen in the collapse under "coming soon", still no statue though :c

Hopefully this'll be included in the next demo of Project M. :D
So do I man, so do I..

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This map fits in with Project M so well. I kinda wish it replaced the Castlevania stage because it seems so out of place. Some music suggestions that I posted on SmashMods.

M&L:BIS Dark Bowser Orchestral Remix

Super Paper Mario: The Ultimate Show Remix

Paper Mario: TTYD Cortez Battle Remix

Also, I think it would be pretty cool if you see classic mario enemies on that pedestal in the back, like Boos, Chain Chomps, Goombas, Shy Guys, and Koopas. Or do you something else planned for that weird pedestal?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
This is a REALLY neat looking stage. The layout is pretty similar to Lylat Cruise, but we get no tilting + easier to sweetspot ledges! This would be a welcome addition to the stagelist.

What are the blastzones like?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This is a REALLY neat looking stage. The layout is pretty similar to Lylat Cruise, but we get no tilting + easier to sweetspot ledges! This would be a welcome addition to the stagelist.

What are the blastzones like?
You get a idea from the videos he posted. They are about the size of Dreamland's.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
This stage is beast.
I looked on brawlcustommusic and found some nice brstm files.
GBA Bowser's Castle 3 (Mario Kart Wii) and N64 Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart Wii). I think there's a few others.
The axe seems out of place, personally...

:phone:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This stage is beast.
I looked on brawlcustommusic and found some nice brstm files.
GBA Bowser's Castle 3 (Mario Kart Wii) and N64 Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart Wii). I think there's a few others.

I will probably sound like a scrub, but what does BRSTM mean?

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
It's just a file extension name. Like MP3, wav, MP4.
It's the file type Brawl and many other games use. I don't know if it stands for anything.

splat

Smash Lord
I think that's mainly because the textures don't work very well with the rest yet. Mainly the blade is way too bright compared to the rest. Also, because there is no shadow it seems pasted on.

Once the lights and shadows are worked out, I reckon it'll look fine.
If it still looks off after fixing these things, I'll delete it. The amount of trial-and-error is high :p

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Yeah. I should have mentioned why it looked out of place. xD You said what I would have said. Sorry.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Is the download currently set to have it go over Mario Circut by default? That's much better placing than Wario Ware.
Also 'cause there's so much hullabaloo about the music it should come with a few musics to make the whole download complete.
Just a few ideas.

splat

Smash Lord
Is the download currently set to have it go over Mario Circut by default? That's much better placing than Wario Ware.
Yeah, Mewtwo2000 was kind enough to port it to Mario Circuit for me, after people told me they'd rather keep WarioWare and have it go over Mario Circuit. I've been working over MC ever since.

Also 'cause there's so much hullabaloo about the music it should come with a few musics to make the whole download complete.
Just a few ideas.
Once the stage is complete I'll add an BRSTM pack to go along with the download. Feel free to post your own ones, I'll update the first post accordingly :)

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I noticed that too. I also tried downloading it to see if it would work or not, and I'm curious how to install it. Do I just toss the pac file in with the rest of the stages? Should I rename it "STGKART.pac" to get it to load?

gonna try doing that stuff, I guess I'll post my results

EDIT: Got it working with zero problems. Go ahead and download it!

after you get it unzipped, extract the STGBOWSER.pac file out, and rename it STGKART.pac. Go into private>wii>app>RSBE>pf>stage>melee drop the file here, and let it replace (or you can delete the STGKART.pac file that's already in there). You'll be good to go.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Could you look into porting camera values from some other similarly shaped P:M stage? Looks very awkward at the moment, and I think that's why.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
You should port over the stage icons/stage name/franchise logos/etc. that you had in the last thread and have instructions for the installation of those too.

Actually **** it I'll port them over right now;

Stage Name;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapFrontStname.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapFrontStname.06

Stage Icon;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapIcon.06

Stage Preview;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapPrevbase.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapPrevbase.06

Franchise Logos;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapMark.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapMark.06

Random Stage Switch (RSS) Icon;

*Goes over system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06
and
menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06

Changing the RSS name;
Inside system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]
and
menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]
you will notice a MSG group titled MiscData[1]. This is where the name changing takes place. Select the MSG group and change Mario Circuit to Bowser's Castle.

holy **** that took a while

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I noticed that too. I also tried downloading it to see if it would work or not, and I'm curious how to install it. Do I just toss the pac file in with the rest of the stages? Should I rename it "STGKART.pac" to get it to load?

gonna try doing that stuff, I guess I'll post my results

EDIT: Got it working with zero problems. Go ahead and download it!

after you get it unzipped, extract the STGBOWSER.pac file out, and rename it STGKART.pac. Go into private>wii>app>RSBE>pf>stage>melee drop the file here, and let it replace (or you can delete the STGKART.pac file that's already in there). You'll be good to go.
well i figured it would "work" but if the stage hasn'tbeen project meleefied the camera angles wnt be like the rest of the stages

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
For those who don't like Drac's Castle, I've not tested it, but in theory, the way I ported the stage to STGKART should also work for STGMANSION, which is the Drac's Castle slot in ProjectM.

Rel porting is also possible anyway ._.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I didn't really suffer any terribly awkward camera angles. I played on it a whole bunch with my bro just now and it was a blasty blast. No issues.

Unless you count "thinking you're about to land in lava, but instead you die off the bottom because the background is tricky like that" as an issue :p

B.W.

Smash Champion
I hate my username on here too, Hunch. B.W. is a much better name lol.

I love the Podoboos nice touch.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Dracula's is cool though. Replace Mario Kart. That's a crappy stage. One Mario stage replacing another.
I definitely agree. Replace the worst stages with the new, awesome stages.
I plan on replacing just about everything on page 2 if I get around to it.

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
long explanation of install locations
Thanks so much for your time, I was just looking into porting over the icons. I'm assuming I'll need some program to open up/edit the .pac files?

In general: great stage, have been enjoying playing on it. Camera angle is a bit wonky, and the way you enter the lava before dying is misleading. Even in Melee, only water acted that way; lava was always a knockback if it was on-screen. If the lava were lowered a bit (or maybe some camera work done, or a combination of the two) it would look at lot better and make more sense.

As far as the stage to replace: I, personally, like Dracula's Castle a lot. Even if you don't like it, it's infinitely better than Mario Circuit. There are plenty of terrible stages to replace (Summit, Shadow Moses, etc.) before we get around to replacing Project M stages. Even then, I'd want stuff like SSE Jungle gone before Dracula's Castle.

Also: the BRTSM download link seems to be dead, "folder not found". Would anybody who has this saved mind reuploading it? Also, is there a list of the songs contained in it?

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
The camera looks fine to me. And the falling in the lava but not dying thing is totally fine by me. It's sorta cool. And every stage has a misleading thing, really. Like Kongo jungle or whatever. Fall in the water and you're pretty much screwed.

iLink

Smash Champion
So I gave this a try and its pretty neat. My only gripe was the noticeable frame lag. It even happens in 1v1, let alone 4 people on the stage at a time.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
oh **** one of the franchise logos link is broke
LET ME FIX THAT FOR YOU

And yeah I do notice lag on this stage, but its minor on 1v1s, but oh my god do NOT play doubles with this. Lag out the bummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
The camera looks fine to me. And the falling in the lava but not dying thing is totally fine by me. It's sorta cool. And every stage has a misleading thing, really. Like Kongo jungle or whatever. Fall in the water and you're pretty much screwed.

I'm assuming you meant Jungle Japes. And in that case, it's not misleading at all. Jungle Japes's river functions exactly as you would expect- Brawl water mechanics, and clearly flowing. Just because it kills you doesn't make it misleading. Big Blue's road isn't misleading, etc etc.

Bowser's Castle's lava is misleading because it doesn't function like Melee/Brawl lava, or even Brawl water. It functions like Melee water (i.e. just empty space), which is nowhere in Project M.

Kati

Smash Lord
Have you tried deleting the textures and polygons that make up the majority of the background? Lag is a pretty scary issue no matter how small.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Dunno where the lag stuff is coming from. Only time this stage has lagged for me was in a 2v2.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Yeah I haven't had a problem. Haven't done any serious 2v2 though. I have had four people on stage before. Just not going crazy. Once some of the background gets trimmed off it should be okay. (holy crap is there so much background)
Also, on the lava. The angle the camera's at you can hardly see yourself fall into the lava unless you pause it. It really shouldn't matter. After you die like three times you know where the blast zone is. The lava shouldn't throw you off. Especially when you can't see it.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Yeah I haven't had a problem. Haven't done any serious 2v2 though. I have had four people on stage before. Just not going crazy. Once some of the background gets trimmed off it should be okay. (holy crap is there so much background)
Also, on the lava. The angle the camera's at you can hardly see yourself fall into the lave unless you pause it. It really shouldn't matter. After you die like three times you know where the blast zone is. The lava shouldn't throw you off. Especially when you can't see it.

I fully disagree with both of your statements. The background adds depth and without it, the stage would look abit empty. Also i'm glad you can't see the lava, it would cause weird clipping issues and it doesn't give off the false impression that it would just bounce you back like Norfair.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Where is there lava on this stage? I was talking about lava in the background. I've never been hit or killed by lava on this stage. I died off the bottom blast zone every time I fell.

Kati

Smash Lord
No one meant that there was literally lava *on* the stage, but that the lava in the background is actually too close to the foreground. It looks odd falling into the lava before hitting the blast zone. The stage needs to be raised slightly or the else background should be pushed back slightly.

iLink

Smash Champion
There is definitely some slight frame lag even with 1v1. You might not notice it because its so slight, but I can assure you it is there.

Top Bottom