• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Third-party stages without third-party characters?

Game Boy and NES (Nintendo version) Tetris could work. Tetris is a famous game and it was one of the best selling Game Boy games... but it doesn’t have any characters... and I think the major obstacle is Alexey Pajitnov, the guy who created Tetris, and Nintendo needs to ask him for permission to have a Tetris stage in Smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Maybe a little controversial, but what a Minecraft stage without a Minecraft character?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There was a fake leak that had Shovel Knight and a Runbow stage back when DLC was coming out for Smash. While it seems unlikely for a wide variety of reasons, a Runbow stage would be cool, at least casually. (I assume it would automatically be banned in competitive play, seeing as it would almost definitely involve platforms that appear and disappear depending on the colour of the background)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
since we're on the topic of 3rd party stages, how about a SimCity stage, where every fighter becomes monster sized and jumps atop tiny buildings?
Yes! And aliens and tornadoes running amok! And an orchestrated version of the Mettropolis Theme! Though I’d prefer the stage being like Icicle Mountain where players climb up an ever upward expanding city. The fight could even start at the ground level and slowly work its way up through levels until it’s a metropolis. And then destroyed by alien invaders!

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
My main want is a stage that feels for each character like a home stage of sorts. Especially if they do an all star mode like Melee. Imagine fighting Bowser Jr on an Airship or fighting ROB on a Gyrmoite Stage or Doctor Mario on a Doctor Mario stage. If third parties get more than one character per franchise it would be cool if they got stages too. Imagine fighting Sephiroth at Nibelheim or Eggman on the Death Egg.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Is Snipperclips Nintendo or third-party? If Nintendo owns Snipperclips, I would like to see a stage based on Snipperclips.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
As for Nintendo based stages, I'd like to see
  • Gyromite stage - R.O.B needs a stage since R.O.B gets orphaned into other stages.
  • A sensible location from Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wild
  • A Splatoon based stage I'd think should show up.
  • Super Mario Odyssey's New Donk City would be nice.
As for existing third-party ideas
  • If we get a Final Fantasy character from a different game, I'd like to see one from their home game or a Dissidia based stage.
  • Perhaps we could get something from Mega Man 11 if that game comes out first.
  • Maybe the same could apply to a Bayonetta 3 stage for Bayonetta like my thoughts on Mega Man above.
As for any (both likely or unlikely in this context.) new third-party franchises
  • It's easy for any Castlevania character to get the castle of Castlevania's Dracula.
  • I'd like the idea of B.J Blazkowicz fighting in the Dat'Yichud Vault from Wolfenstein: The New Order.
  • Shovel Knight could get the Plains of Passage for him.
  • I'd like to see one for Dragon Quest depending on Hero selected.
  • Maybe we could get a generic UAC facility for the Doom Marine/Doom Slayer.
  • Maybe a Mishima Zaibatsu related place for Heihachi Mishima in Tekken.

Last edited:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
The only stage speculation I have is a hope that with the next Smash Bros. THEY SHOULD BRING BACK EVERY STAGE EVER MADE! And of course bring in new ones, but bring all the old ones back and just let us flip through pages. First page: All the stages that premiered in SSB, 2nd: All that premiered in SSBM, 3rd: All that premiered in SSBB, 4th: All that premiered in SSB4, 5th All the new ones in SSB5, and finally all the custom created ones. Pages people. it can be done. WHO'S WITH ME?!

and BRING BACK THE BRAWL STAGE DESIGN MODE! Or something very similar. SSB4's Stage Designer was way too limited and I had so many custom designs from Brawl that I wish I could have remade in SSB4. And really they couldn't even do it the same way as SSB4 again because the Switch doesn't use a touchscreen and stylus. So just bring back the brawl design set and just add a few things (like launch barrels) to it.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
It's probably safe to say that BOTW and Mario Odyssey will both have stages. An idea I had for BOTW's stage is like Skyloft where you start off at the Great Plateau and takes you all around Hyrule with each area having visual and sometimes hazards as well.

Mario Odyssey will probably be New Donk City, I'm not sure but I feel like it will either be a huge stage or a walk off with cars that you can bounce off of, and on the weekend nights you can see a show by Pauline similar to Smashville's show by K.K. Slider.

Outside of those two the only thing I can think of is a Fire Emblem stage based on Fates that takes place inside of a castle that has three different visual variations based each of the storylines that can be chosen by holding a button just like the Boxing Ring. At the very least it would make for a good Omega stage. Also if you're playing as Corrin (assuming that s/he is in the game which I would be surprised if they were removed.) you could taunt which would have the characters in the background talk about the battle that Corrin is in, which could lead to funny moments especially if they add something like M Corrin vs F Corrin or if there is more than two of them fighting each other.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Eh, the only new stage I'd really be crazy about is a Gyromite stage for R.O.B. My boy has gone too long without a stage to call home, and given how well a stage based on Gyromite (possibly even with elements from Stack-Up thrown in as well) would fit into Smash, it's time that changed.
As for returning stages, seeing anything from Melee return would probably make me squeal with nostalgic glee - particularly, I'd go nuts if I saw Poke Floats and/or Fourside make a comeback.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The Great Plateau is definitely going to be a stage.
Splatoon's stage...Walleye Warehouse is my pick

Morbi

Scavenger
wonder what stage the inkling will bring with them

come on botw and odyssey stages
It honestly has to be that hub world, Inkpolis or whatever. I am obviously not that into the series. I played the first one awhile ago. But that is the perfect place and quite diverse relative to most everything else we have seen in the series.

Other than that, I genuinely have no idea where in Breath of the Wild would be cool. The landscapes are beautiful, but there are not too many notable places. I would not mind that beach town, but it is probably just going to be the Great Plateau. Odyssey is the opposite, it could literally be anywhere. I guess if Inkpolis is not a thing, New Donk makes more sense. That was the premier world they were marketing.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Either Hyrule Castle or Hyrule Temple remade with BOTW aesthetics. Having a few of those turret-style Guardians would be cool, so long as you can destroy them and they DON'T respawn.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The Courtroom if Phoenix Wright makes it. All with its own version of the Snake codecs.

A proper Bowser's Castle stage.
A proper Paper Mario stage (of when it was actually good)
A F-Zero stage that isn't Mute City.
The return of Fountain of Dreams.
Gangplank Galleon or minecart-insoired stage.
A Gyromite stage to permanently erase 75m and give ROB a home turf.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here's a few new stage ideas I had in mind so far:

Odyssey Trip (liftoff at Fossil Falls, then travelling through Tostarena, Steam Gardens, and New Donk City)
Homecoming Hijinks (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
The Great Plateau (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
Surface of SR388 (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Sector ß (Star Fox Zero)
Aether Foundation (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
Gormott Providence (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)-if Rex/Pyra make it in
Urchin Underpass (Splatoon)
Noisy Notebook (Snipperclips)
Spring Stadium (ARMS)
Championship Maze (PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2 Plus)-if Pac-Man returns
Studiopolis (Sonic Mania) or Sunset Heights (Sonic Forces)-if Sonic returns
Old School (Super Bomberman R)-if Bomberman makes it in
Glade of Dreams or Land of the Livid Dead (Rayman)-if Rayman makes it in
Mushroom Kingdom-Rabbid Takeover (Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle)

(I'd like to see some stages based off Metroid Prime 4, Mega Man 11 and the new Yoshi and Fire Emblem games)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I was never a huge fan of those stages that were just a platform flying around and touring the world
:delfino: for example, and the WiiSports Island, MarioKart, Skyloft etc. in Sm4sh

I would like to see something (or loads of things) from BotW, since that was exceptional and had glorious music. I can't bring myself to only pick one thing though.

I would like to see returning stages though. I was kinda bummed that Smash43DS got 90% of the good stages in the last round.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
What would be a good example of a Third Party franchise that can get a stage without any characters from that franchise

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What would be a good example of a Third Party franchise that can get a stage without any characters from that franchise
Tetris? They've already got music from Tetris in several Smash games.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
A few ideas on top of my head;

• Barudo Island (Doshin the Giant).
  • Popples (Panel De Pon).
  • New Donk City (Super Mario Oddyssey).
  • Bowser Castle.
  • Murusame Castle. (If Takamaru becomes playable.)
  • Inktopolis. (Splatoon)
  • Something based on Kirby Star Allies.

I'll try and get more ideas later, it was just a really fast rush-down.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
My educated guesses:
A Mario Galaxy, 3D World/Captain Toad or Super Mario 64 Stage.
A Mario Oddyessy Stage.
Paper Mario Stage.
Breath of the Wild Stage.
Metroid stage
Fire emblem stage

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
You know what stage i think should be cool in smash, even though it will most likely never happen?

a Dance Dance Revolution Stage

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Guess I'll leave my thoughts here:
Divine Beasts (Breath of the Wild)
Arowana Mall (Splatoon)
New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

I get the feeling BotW's stage won't be just a static stage since there is A LOT to see from its world, and a lot of things like Guardians or the weather that can work as stage hazards.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Some thoughts/predictions:
New Donk City from Super Mario Odyssey is an obvious pick. I'd like to see Super Bell Hill from 3D World as well.
The Mario & Luigi games could be represented through the Beanbean Kingdom. I also think its about time that we get stages for Mario Party and Dr. Mario.
DK Tropical Freeze should get a stage in the form of Homecoming Hijinks.

For Zelda, The Great Plateau is a good choice for Breath of the Wild, either that or the inside of a Shrine or Divine Beast.
I'd like to see Lorule Castle from Link Between Worlds too.

For Kirby, I think we could see King Dedede's Castle from Star Allies. Honestly though, a lot of the recent Kirby games have good stage potential: Lor Starcutter from Return to Dreamland, Eternal Dreamland from Triple Deluxe, or Access Ark from Planet Robobot would be great choices.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
The new stages I want to see

-New Donk City from Mario Oddisey. I think it's the best way to represent Oddisey, a really unique stage in Mario series

-For Zelda Breath of the Wild I want the Divine Beast in the background, so a high moving platform where we can see different locations from Hyrule

-A stage set in Alola from Pokemon Sun and Moon. It could be the Altar of Solgaleo and Lunala in Poni Island, the Aether Fundation, something related to UltraBeast or Melemele Island, where the story begins

-A Splatoon stage of course

-A stage from Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It wasn't represented in Wii U so I hope the add one this time

-The planet of Mira from Xenoblade X, but I guess a stage from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is more likely than one from X

-ARMS stage

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd like to see some actual Pokemon stages instead of generic Coliseums. Spear Pillar, Saffron City, and Lumiose Tower should all return, as they are memorable areas. Pokemon Stadium from Melee is good as a competitive counterpick, so it would be nice to have as the generic stadium. I'd also like to see Bell Tower (Tin Tower, as we old-school fans knew it) with a Ho-Oh encounter, possibly a Boss Battle and Sky Pillar with the return of the Rayquaza boss from Brawl.

EDIT: Also, a modern Poke Floats with Pokemon from all generations, but the Melee one would also be nice.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
How about a Smartphone stage? It could switch between different Nintendo apps (i.e. Pokemon Go, Mario Run, Fire Emblem), kind of like a travelling stage or like Warioware. Good advertising for Nintendo too.

Jimbob321

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5297-9504-7795

Stage: Kamurocho

Series: Yakuza

Non traversing stage, character from the series pop up with majima even coming out of no-where to cause havoc on stage (Can be turned off, both Majima himself and the stage hazard)

Music 1:

Music 2:

Music 3:

Top Bottom