• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
well theres no reason there can't be both a 3d world and an odyssey stage but smash bros tends to have stages based on the most recent games so by the time smash 5 gets released odyssey will be more recent

well the most recent games when it starts development
I mean, 3DS had Lumiose City and Unova Pokémon League. I definitely think we could have, say, Super Bell Hill and New Donk City without any issues.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Megaman needs a completely new stage. There's just far too much focus on the Yellow Devil in his level.

I'd like to see something that works in the teleporters, disappearing blocks, and those automatically opening boss doors.

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
Megaman needs a completely new stage. There's just far too much focus on the Yellow Devil in his level.

I'd like to see something that works in the teleporters, disappearing blocks, and those automatically opening boss doors.
I definitely have to agree. Personally, I could see a Wily's Castle 2 stage that does away with the Yellow Devil, instead featuring a lot of the obstacles like that. Of course, I could also see a stage based around Metal Man's level from Mega Man 2, incorporating the conveyor belts that his stage featured.

I also wouldn't mind maybe a Wario Castle stage. It could be a nice way to reflect the Wario Land games. I just haven't decided whether to have it feature actual obstacles from one of the games (perhaps Wario Land 2) or more generally reflect the games with a coin collecting mechanic.

Mushroom Kingdom All-Stars (Super Mario Bros. 1-3)

Presented in a 3D version of 8-bit graphics, this stage transitions between three different locations that stem from the first three Super Mario Bros. games. The SMB-inspired portion has two pits with a platform over each, with both platforms connected to each other and eventually breaking if someone stands too long on one. The SMB2-inspired portion has three pits in front of a waterfall, with logs rolling down the waterfall. The SMB3-inspired portion has one large pit, over which there is a moving platform on a track. The SMB and SMB3 portions have breakable blocks that can potentially spawn items, while the SMB2 portion has a greater than average chance of spawning grass items.

Diamond City (WarioWare, Inc.)

This traveling stage takes players all over Diamond City, to such locales as Mona Pizza, Ashley's Mansion, Club Sugar, and even WarioWare, Inc. itself. There is not much in major dangers, and you'll see plenty of familiar WarioWare faces in the background. Just be careful if the fight takes you to a locale on the street. There's a chance that Dribble and Spitz might come zooming by in their taxi...and might just hit you with it!

Tourian (Metroid)

This metallic stage offers a few floating platforms, along with metallic pipes that stick out from the acid pits below. Thankfully, the acid pit does not rise up like in Brinstar or Norfair. There is a different danger here. Occasionally, a blast shield in the background will open to reveal Mother Brain and an alarm will sound. When that alarm sounds, turrets will emerge from those pipes and start taking pot shots. If you're not careful, then the barrage could deal some serious damage. Eventually, the alarm will cease and the turrets will stop.

Rhythm Heaven

This stage has a simple flat base in front of a screen. That screen is a big element, though, as it shows a variety of the mini-games from the Rhythm Heaven series. Those mini-games can offer help or hindrances during the course of the battle. For instance, the cheerleaders from Cheer Readers can create temporary platforms with their books, while the tall tappers from Tap Troupe can deliver a smashing attack when they do their heel click. Just remember: all of those mini-games are in the timing, so whether you can get that help or avoid the danger relies on the beat.

Last edited:

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
I'd love a Bridge of Eldin-esque Breath of the Wild level, overlooking Hyrule Castle with Calamity Ganon in the background. Can't think of any location in the game that it'd suit though :\

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i think a salmon run stage might be pretty cool, id wanr one of the turf war stages first but still

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I just thought of something that I think would be cool.

A stage based on SimCity (SNES).

This stage would most likely be a "tour" stage where a platform picks you up and drops you off at various points in the map. The stage would be randomly generated each time.

The main gimmick of this stage is that all your Smash characters are essentially giants to the little people of SimCity, and you will destroy buildings as you fight in the city. However, the omnipotent cursor is flying around the city, replacing all the buildings you destroy, and you have to watch out for when it places buildings on your characters as the buildings will pop up underneath you and potentially send you flying skyward.

All the buildings have their own behaviors and quirks whenever you destroy them.

Residential buildings are the most common type of building, and do not have any particular behavior other than simply collapsing.

Industrial buildings leave burning fires when they collapse, and the fire spreads, creating a hazard for the characters to watch out for.

Commercial buildings drop items when they're destroyed (since these are essentially malls where the SimCitizens buy things).

Police departments send tiny little police cars after you if you attack them, and the simcops try to damage you with their little firearms.

Fire departments spray water at you like Mario's FLUDD if you attack them, and can push you back a great distance.

Power plants are the most dangerous buildings of all. Destroying a nuclear power plant creates a gigantic explosion that can take everyone out if you're not careful.

I kinda like this idea. It would be nice to recreate Bowser invading the city as one of the disasters in the original game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just thought of something that I think would be cool.

A stage based on SimCity (SNES).

This stage would most likely be a "tour" stage where a platform picks you up and drops you off at various points in the map. The stage would be randomly generated each time.

The main gimmick of this stage is that all your Smash characters are essentially giants to the little people of SimCity, and you will destroy buildings as you fight in the city. However, the omnipotent cursor is flying around the city, replacing all the buildings you destroy, and you have to watch out for when it places buildings on your characters as the buildings will pop up underneath you and potentially send you flying skyward.

All the buildings have their own behaviors and quirks whenever you destroy them.

Residential buildings are the most common type of building, and do not have any particular behavior other than simply collapsing.

Industrial buildings leave burning fires when they collapse, and the fire spreads, creating a hazard for the characters to watch out for.

Commercial buildings drop items when they're destroyed (since these are essentially malls where the SimCitizens buy things).

Police departments send tiny little police cars after you if you attack them, and the simcops try to damage you with their little firearms.

Fire departments spray water at you like Mario's FLUDD if you attack them, and can push you back a great distance.

Power plants are the most dangerous buildings of all. Destroying a nuclear power plant creates a gigantic explosion that can take everyone out if you're not careful.

I kinda like this idea. It would be nice to recreate Bowser invading the city as one of the disasters in the original game.
My issue with this is that Dr. Wright's Assist Trophy kind of establishes that the city isn't shrunken (Bowser was just huge).

PsychoJosh

My issue with this is that Dr. Wright's Assist Trophy kind of establishes that the city isn't shrunken (Bowser was just huge).
Dr. Wright makes buildings appear, but obviously these buildings are tiny. They're not actual skyscrapers to the characters, which suggests that SimCity itself is tiny.

In any case, it doesn't really matter. It could be that all the characters are huge for the sake of this stage. A Smash battle taking place in the middle of the city could be conisdered a "disaster" in the context of SimCity.

In addition the stage could also have the appearance of a boss monster, such as the giant black doom orb from SimCity 2000 (which was also on SNES).

Last edited:

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Can't there be a Donkey Kong stage that's not a jungle? Smash 4 had an opportunity the promote Tropical Freeze with maybe a snow level. A factory level would also be nice.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
She mean a Donkey Kong Country stage that's not a jungle
I know but she didn't specify "Donkey Kong Country". She just said "Donkey Kong". :p

I would like to see a temple stage based on this level.

A stage with beavers piloting millstones... and the floor have tires for fighters to jump on and bounce high... and of course Barrel Cannons just like in Kongo Jungle 64 and Kongo Jungle Melee.

I'd name that stage "Millstone Temple".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
id quite like a stage based on frozen fruits from tropical freeze, fighting on blocks of ice and ice lollies would be fun

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
id quite like a stage based on frozen fruits from tropical freeze, fighting on blocks of ice and ice lollies would be fun
An ice stage like that could offer some definite variety and fun for a Donkey Kong stage.

In terms of non-jungle levels, Gangplank Galleon is my main pick. That said, Kremkroc Industries is another I would be up for. I could imagine it as potentially having those oil drums as hazards, whether with them periodically shooting fire or tilting over to release enemies into the stage.

I would like to see a pinball stage... maybe based on Pinball (NES), Kirby's Pinball Land, or Revenge of the Gator.
A pinball stage would be fun, but it's interesting to consider how to translate it into a stage. Perhaps the best route could be a stage that draws inspiration from the pinball game, having a set-up of platforms that's easier to move around while featuring a bunch of the obstacles and challenges from the game.

Also, Kirby's Pinball Land would be a fun basis for this sort of stage. Pinball (NES) would be the likeliest, but it might be neat to show off one of the Kirby spin-offs like that. If any Kirby spin-offs got a stage, I'd be up for either that or Kirby's Dream Course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe a Factory-themed stage, as I believe Factory is the second most iconic environment to be used in the DKC series after of course the Jungle theme.

Though I'd much rather prefer a stage based on any theme from DKC2 or Tropical Freeze, like a Bramble-themed one or a Savannah-themed one.

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
I'm interested to see what might be the next round of retro stages. To me, I've generally enjoyed those throwback stages, which can capture nice moments in the histories of Nintendo franchises along with interesting level designs and aesthetics. For instance, the 3DS Smash Bros. game gave us the SNES-style Mute City stage and the Dream Land stage, which had the inspired choice to have the battle play out on a Game Boy screen.

In short, I'm up for a fresh round of retro stages.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In short, I'm up for a fresh round of retro stages.
I would like to see retro stages based on Star Fox 2 and Zelda II.

How about retro stages based on N64 games with polygonal aesthetics? Maybe that bedroom from the original Smash 64 intro? What makes it unique is that whenever Master Hand appears and snaps fingers, the stage changes aesthetics to one of nine Smash 64 stages... almost like Super Mario Maker stage.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's a weird one for you.

A Tetris Stage and a Burger Time stage. Yeah, that's right. Third party stages.

There's two super iconic games, yet there's no real characters in there worth making playable. So, instead, let's just have the stages. I think more people would be interested in the stages anyway.

So for the Burger Time, there's a bunch of platforms with the different layers of the burger that fall when you walk on them or attack them and if you manage to drop a burger on to of somebody they recieve massive damage. Maybe you could even have the little food enemies walking around as extra stage.

For Tetris, the level starts out with a random assortment of pieces on the bottom layer than the players walk on. More pieces slowly fall down the screen that can be used as platforms or can be hit to flip around or move side to side, and if you hit them too much, you can just straight up destroy them. Like an actual tetris game, if the pieces make a complete line across, that line disappears getting rid of some of the ground you can stand on.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I have an idea for how a good Bowser's Castle stage could go: Model it on all the past Bowser's Castles from mario Kart of course! Silly, I know, but hear me out.
From the N64 BC track from MK Wii we have bridges you cross, moving thwomps that try and block your path, andbowser statues that breathe fire when you approach them.
From the same game's regular Bowser's Castle game, we have a floo and walls that twist and turn, a giant robotic Bowser that shoots fireballs, and geysers that fire pillars of lava upwards.
Then we have MK 8's Bowser's Castle, which ahs probably my favorite additions: Bowser statues that shoot lasers out of their mouths. A Giant spiked ball on a chain swinging around. A Giant Robot Bowser that's on fire and actually punches the stage!

If we can't find good ideas for gimmicks for Bowser's Castle, I think the above gimmicks would more than suffice.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
This was an idea I just thought of:

Invisible Kingdom - Fire Emblem Fates

Corrin's home stage. The main platform is a grass version of Final Destination with the statue of Revelations Chapter 18 in the background on it, but on both sides there's a small bridge leading to another (small) grass platform. The bridges break if you stand too long on it (a reference to Revelations Chapter 20). The grass platform on the right has a small pedestal where once in a while a blue light shows up. If you step in the blue light, an AI clone of yours appears (reference to Chapter 19).
This clone is always level 5 and it fights alongside you, sharing your percentages. If your clone gets hit, your own percentage also goes up. On the upside, you can hit two opponents that are on different parts of the stage at the same time or the same opponent gets double damage. Your clone always falls if you try to hang onto the edge at the same time as your clone and if you get KO'd, your clone automatically disappears. In All-Star mode, the blue light doesn't appear. Only one clone can be on the stage at the same time.
Gimmicky? Yes, but every Smash-game has their share of gimmick stages.

How do I have to imagine this? Scrolling stage? Transforming stage? Traveling stage?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
perhaps shifty station could work with either a variety of layouts or like tortimer's islands have a new layout each time

PsychoJosh

So, since I created an Earthworm Jim thread, and I'm feeling kind of sad that it's getting ignored (since I put a lot of effort into it), I was trying to think of which stages could work from his games. So far I've boiled it down to two possible levels: New Junk City and Level Ate.

(Mockup by Birdman91 on deviantart)

(Screenshot of SNES Level Ate by HardcoreGaming101)

(My own crude mock-up of New Junk City in Smash)

New Junk City: This stage would be an asymmetrical platform stage. The central platform would branch into a lower section and an upper section with a junk school bus that players could enter. Crows and rabid dogs would zoom by in the distance but bring no harm to the characters. Two smaller platforms would be in the upper left and right corners of the stage, as well as a conveyor belt on the upper right corner that can be stood on.

Every so often, the conveyor belt begins raining a bunch of garbage (pieces of which include tin cans, goldfish bowls, old TV sets and moose trophies). Players can take shelter from the damaging garbage rain inside the schoolbus or on the bottom platform, but things can get hectic as you can push the players out into the garbage rain. Also, a tower of tires would randomly collapse on either side of the central platform, which would cover up the bottomless pit with a safe bouncy pile of tires until it eventually sinks offscreen.

(My own crude mockup of Level Ate in Smash)

Level Ate: This has the potential for being a fun large level. The central area is two platforms made out of bacon, sheltered by a large juicy steak impaled on a fork. Next to the bacon pathway would be a pair of salami links. On either side of the center bacon platforms, there would be a pizza box and a large skillet. Players can stand on the skillet, pizza box, salami links, steak and bacon platforms. They can also stand on the eggs, although they are destructible.

Players on the bottom bacon strip could turn on the skillet by hitting the large dial next to the platform, frying anyone who's on top of the skillet with fire damage. Two large eggs are suspended over the skillet - by attacking them, they will crack and drop their yolks onto the skillet. If they are dropped on the skillet while it is on, then they will cook, during which time they can be used as platforms to safely stand on top of the skillet. Once the skillet turns off, any cooked eggs remaining on top of the skillet can be eaten to regain health. If eggs are dropped on the skillet while it is off, the skillet will become slippery. Once the skillet has been used, its control dial will fold back into itself and it will be some time until it can be used again. Broken eggshells suspended over the skillet periodically will be pulled away and replaced with new fresh eggs.

On the left side of the bacon platforms is a large pizza box (despite how it's depicted in my picture, it is actually another large platform, not a walk-off.) Periodically, the box will open, revealing a piping hot pizza inside. Players on top of the box when it opens will struggle to keep their footing as the box can potentially fling them into the abyss below. Inside the box is a large, piping hot pepperoni pizza. Players can walk on the pizza, and stand on its toppings, but if they stand on the cheese, they will begin to sink and have trouble moving. If fully submerged in the cheese they will gradually take heat damage from the pizza. They can stand on the slices of pepperoni for safety. (I imagine the toppings would be changed to reflect regional differences - Japan has some rather unusual pizza toppings that wouldn't make sense to us westerners).

Finally, players would randomly be besieged by random salt shakers flying throughout the level. They can take shelter underneath the various objects to stay safe, but while being attacked by salt shakers they will take damage.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well having played through miitopia now i have an idea or two on how a stage might work, i imagine theyd go for a side scrolling stage perhaps with signs which you attack to take you on different paths or something

of course it'd probably just be called miitopia and be made to look like the first area as opposed to some of the interesting looking areas later on

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I haven't played it (and I probably won't) but I feel like Studiopolis Zone from Sonic Mania is such an obvious candidate for a new stage in Smash Switch.

Either that or Mirage Saloon zone, though I think the former would be cooler.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I haven't played it (and I probably won't) but I feel like Studiopolis Zone from Sonic Mania is such an obvious candidate for a new stage in Smash Switch.

Either that or Mirage Saloon zone, though I think the former would be cooler.
yes i think itd be a pretty cool stage as well, mania certainly had plenty of decent zones to chose from

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman

I would like to see the Metal Man stage. It would work like town & city, sort of, but the platforms are conveyers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
well theres no reason there can't be both a 3d world and an odyssey stage but smash bros tends to have stages based on the most recent games so by the time smash 5 gets released odyssey will be more recent

well the most recent games when it starts development
Depends on the overal time frame.. Galaxy for example was completely skipped in Brawl. The focus lied with Sunshine the most.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Can I get a Gang Plank Galleon stage please? Especially if K. Rool gets in? I need it.

Spiwizzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mama Mii-a
3DS FC
5429-9383-9253
I wanna see a forest maze level! I know it's not likely, but just imagine! Playing as Geno, fighting bowser with Beware The Forest's Mushrooms in the background! Also, some Superstar Saga stage! It'd work cause the remake is coming up! It could even have Popple as the fighter you unlock on the stage!

Osudude5

Smash Rookie
My dream for Smash is Rayman with a Glade of Dreams stage. Tree and jungle themed, I'm thinking central blast zone like Gaur Plains.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I feel like a huge stage like Palutena's Temple be good for a Breath of the Wild rep. Huge stage for a huge game, right?

I was thinking Hyrule Castle at first, but that wouldn't have a good view of nature. What I think would work is Hyrule field. The biggest stage horizontally. It would have a Bokoblin tower to climb on somewhere, and enemies walking around/in camps that you can kill in order to steal their weapons and use them as items. You can find food in the wild and hunt animals that appear to regain health. On one side of the stage is a mountain you can climb, and on the other side is a small slice of Hyrule Castle (continuing into it too far will walk you off the stage.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like a huge stage like Palutena's Temple be good for a Breath of the Wild rep. Huge stage for a huge game, right?

I was thinking Hyrule Castle at first, but that wouldn't have a good view of nature. What I think would work is Hyrule field. The biggest stage horizontally. It would have a Bokoblin tower to climb on somewhere, and enemies walking around/in camps that you can kill in order to steal their weapons and use them as items. You can find food in the wild and hunt animals that appear to regain health. On one side of the stage is a mountain you can climb, and on the other side is a small slice of Hyrule Castle (continuing into it too far will walk you off the stage.)
personally im sick of the huge stages that battles end up going for to long

Top Bottom