• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Dinosaur Land

Travelling Stage, you move around various locale from Super Mario World (but it'l be called a Yoshi stage because lol sakurai) Vanilla Dome, Butter Bridge, Forest of Illusions, Chocolate Island, Sunken Ghost Ship and Valley of Bowser.

Stop and Go Station

If it goes Green, Kremlings run around and attack players and they have to hit barrels to make them say ''stop'' and put the Kremlings to sleep.

Victory Road

Kanto version. Multiple Strength Boulders are lying around and can be pushed into enemies, and Cool Trainers will send their elite Pokemon out to attack you.

Gangplank Galleon

God DK has so much untapped potential... Large stage, you can fight on sails, the deck, and even inside the ship. Krow is a stage boss, killing him will make him aid you as Kreepy Krow.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh okay. Yeah, we spent most of our time wandering all over Hyrule. But for years, people requested for a Hyrule Field stage... but Hyrule Field seems bland in most Zelda games. Breath of the Wild is probably the first time Hyrule Field seems exciting. So... I thought it would be nice to finally get a Hyrule Field stage and it's based on Breath of the Wild, or more specifically the Central Tower region.
i agree a hyrule field stage would be pretty cool thought im not keen on the idea of going any where near a guardian with out an ancient arrow even if it is smash

We all know that the BotW stage is going to be just the Great Plateau. The occasional Guardian appearing in the background and taking aim at players. Hide behind a wall to avoid this.
yes but we've all been wrong a million times before

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Also, Sakurai lied about stage bosses in the first Smash Direct. He made them out to be a much bigger deal than they really were in the end. There were only a few of them. They do appear in Smash Tour at times, but that's as far as their "uber-special importance" in the game goes.
So...did they have more of them planned or what?

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
That. Was. Fake.

Travelling Stage, you move around various locale from Super Mario World (but it'l be called a Yoshi stage because lol sakurai)
Gotta love how everyone's only reasoning for everything in Smash is "sakurai sakurai sakurai". The only part of these games that tells you about him is the credits.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Gotta love how everyone's only reasoning for everything in Smash is "sakurai sakurai sakurai". The only part of these games that tells you about him is the credits.
Try not to double post, and I think you missed their point entirely. The joke was that Yoshi's Island (Melee) is a Super Mario World stage. SMW takes place in Dinosaur Land, and many people think it's weird that it was named after Yoshi's Island as they associate that name to the actual Yoshi's Island games.

However, funnily enough, the name Yoshi's Island is actually appropriate because that's likely where Sakurai intended for it to take place. While it's drastically different in the actual Yoshi games, Yoshi's Island is in fact a location within Dinosaur Land itself.

The actual post had nothing to do with Sakurai as reasoning for anything.

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
That's not what I was saying though. People still think that Sakurai is responsible for literally everything in the game, even though he's made it clear countless times that he isn't really. "Because lol sakurai" was the part I was referring to.

Half of the time, Smash itself is like "Huh? There's a Yoshi series?" Yoshi does keep getting lumped in with the rest of the Mario gang a lot. Egg icon be damned.

And actually, in Japan, Melee Yoshi's Island was called Yoster Island, which is apparently what it's called in the Japanese version of SMW.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's not what I was saying though. People still think that Sakurai is responsible for literally everything in the game, even though he's made it clear countless times that he isn't really. "Because lol sakurai" was the part I was referring to.

Half of the time, Smash itself is like "Huh? There's a Yoshi series?" Yoshi does keep getting lumped in with the rest of the Mario gang a lot. Egg icon be damned.

And actually, in Japan, Melee Yoshi's Island was called Yoster Island, which is apparently what it's called in the Japanese version of SMW.
You could have made that a lot clearer then if that's the point you were trying to get across. And that's quite the odd response to give to RealLuigi'sWearPink, given it has nothing to do with what they posted which were just some stage ideas. It just seems like you took a joke seriously when that wasn't meant as reasoning at all.

And I get it, there are some fans that act like Sakurai makes the games by himself, but those are few and far between. And regardless, as director he does have a lot of influence on the game's design. That's kind of what he's supposed to do.

Where is this issue with Yoshi coming from exactly? Where in Smash, aside from the CSS (which I agree is a little annoying), is Yoshi being lumped in?

Thanks for the trivia on the last bit, but that was pretty much my point. The idea is that they went with the name because the stage is meant to be in a specific part of Dinosaur Land; Yoshi/Yoster Island. Fans commonly question it even though it's accurate.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can see Yoshi getting a new stage based on that new game that was shown in E3 2017 today. Maybe the hazard could be the stage flipping to the other side.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
whatever odyssey stage we get i hope we get that theme song for it

I can see Yoshi getting a new stage based on that new game that was shown in E3 2017 today. Maybe the hazard could be the stage flipping to the other side.
that would be pretty cool

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Super Mario Odyssey stage has to be New Donk City. I want Pauline singing in that stage.

bob_long_is_love

Smash Rookie
NNID
GimpsteinDaThicc
Super Mario Odyssey stage has to be New Donk City. I want Pauline singing in that stage.
New Donk City has potential to be a great stage, you could travel around the city and stop at different locations, and it's FD form could be the concert stage or the top of some random building in the city, it could be a hazardless Mute City(a.k.a Prism Tower)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Ice Climbers come back, I would like their new stage to be a crossover with Clu Clu Land. Summit in Brawl was a crossover with Balloon Fight so there's a precedent. Maybe the new stage could be like a floating iceberg in the ocean with whirlpools and giant urchins from Clu Clu Land as stage hazards. If a whirlpool appears in the water, it will suck anyone who's swimming in water into the vortex and KO them. Seals from the Japanese version of Ice Climber would also appear in the water.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
I've said before that I'd love to see a personal home stage (rather than series-based) for each character, so I've compared the character roster with the stage roster. Should we indeed get a Smash 4 DX based on the Wii U version, I'd love to see these stages from the 3DS get 'upgraded':
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • Unova Pokémon League
  • Find Mii
  • Arena Ferox
  • Prism Tower
Even after these, there are a few characters that I couldn't find a fitting stage for. These characters and my preferred stage idea are:
  • Corrin - Plains of Hoshido
  • Charizard - Mt. Chimney
  • Dr. Mario - Doctor's table (though you could argue many of the Mario stages could be assigned to Dr.)
  • Jigglypuff - Poke Floats
  • Lucas - New Pork City (slightly reworked)
  • Lucina - Outrealm Gate
  • Mewtwo - Cerulean Cave
  • ROB - Gyromite / Stack up (though you could argue the retro stages (Wrecking Crew / Balloon Fight could be assigned to ROB)
  • Roy - Shrine of Seals
And just for good measure, the other stages from 3DS I'd love to see make the jump:
  • Jungle Japes
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Pac-Maze

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Mario Land

I believe Arcadenik already suggested this, and I love the idea. Travels between Pumpkin Zone, Turtle Zone, Tree Zone, Micro Zone, Space Zone, my personal favorite Mario Zone, and Wario's/Mario's Castle. Such a great game.

Ms. Pac-Maze

Pac-Maze, but with a Ms. Pac-Man maze.

Tin Tower

You fight upon the Tin Tower, at the top. Eventually Ho-Oh gets ****ing pissed and attacks you.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SSB5 could get a new Corneria stage but this time, it's based on Star Fox Zero... and the battle could be on the Arwing and it flies and walks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
SSB5 could get a new Corneria stage but this time, it's based on Star Fox Zero... and the battle could be on the Arwing and it flies and walks.
if it was id hope itd be scaled up a fair bit or at least be several of them otherwise itd be quite small

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd like a flat stage in a gym or something with "SMASH BROS AUDITION" signs and banners hanging up and a bunch of characters that have no chance of getting in the game watching in the background (and maybe occasionally jumping in or throwing out some hazards.)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In my opinion, a New Donk City stage is all but confirmed.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ideally, I'd like all stages from past games to return, but that's never gonna happen (though I'd totally pay an extra $50+ if there was a DLC option).
But I'd also like to see more boss fight stages with the ability to turn them off (as well as other stage hazards for competitive play).
Bowser's Castle with Giga Bowser.
Great Plateau with a Guardian, Gold Lynel, and Calamity Ganon in rotation.
Sky Pillar with Rayquaza
Venon with Andross
Chemical Plant Zone with Dr. Eggman

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd like a flat stage in a gym or something with "SMASH BROS AUDITION" signs and banners hanging up and a bunch of characters that have no chance of getting in the game watching in the background (and maybe occasionally jumping in or throwing out some hazards.)
I can see everyone on the Internet salty if this ever happens. :troll:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Mario Land

I believe Arcadenik already suggested this, and I love the idea. Travels between Pumpkin Zone, Turtle Zone, Tree Zone, Micro Zone, Space Zone, my personal favorite Mario Zone, and Wario's/Mario's Castle. Such a great game.

Ms. Pac-Maze

Pac-Maze, but with a Ms. Pac-Man maze.

Tin Tower

You fight upon the Tin Tower, at the top. Eventually Ho-Oh gets ****ing pissed and attacks you.
Tin Tower with a Ho-Oh boss fight would be awesome.
Another idea I have for a boss character is Sinnoh Four where Cynthia uses all 6 of her Pokemon one after the other in a boss rush fashion, but make them easier to defeat as to not make them take up the entire match.

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
Death Mountain

The iconic mountain has plenty of hills and slopes, but be careful when an earthquake starts to rumble. That means that a load of boulders will start falling down and rolling along those slopes.

Bubbly Clouds

This peaceful cloud locale is plagued by a stage boss: Kracko! He'll periodically arrive, attacking with swoops and lightning. Whoever manages to defeat him will cause him to blow up, with the winning player being unharmed by the explosion.

Doctor's Table (Dr. Mario, inspired by splat's idea)

This table offers some platforms thanks to its flower vase and the tea sets. However, a UFO will occasionally fly by and drop off one of the iconic viruses (Blue, Red, or Yellow) to run around and cause trouble for those near them. The blue virus will freeze players near him, the red virus will periodically create an explosion, and the yellow virus will sometimes make players near him fall asleep or wind up with a damaging flower on their head. They'll stick around until a Megavitamin gets thrown at them from offscreen, causing them to disappear.

Butter Building

This tall tower will change between day and night during the fight, with each time having its own danger. During the day, Mr. Shine will leap around and throw his crescent boomerangs at players. During the night, Mr. Bright will hop around and occasionally charge forward with a fiery blast.

Gyromite

This factory location will have blue and red pillars that move up and down, affecting the stage layout during the fight. A R.O.B. in the background messes with blue and red switches, changing which pillars rise and which pillars fall.

Fourside (I know there has been a Fourside stage previously, but this is a different take)

Players will fight it out on the rooftops of this big city, over such locations as the Grand Department Store and the Monotoli Building. Get ready, however, for a shimmering light can bring a change to the city's illusory variation: Moonside! When the players are in Moonside, the buildings take on a neon appearance and controls are reversed. Eventually, the shimmer will fade away, restoring Fourside and the standard controls.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If there's one thing I want from stages in Smash 5, it's specific Fire Emblem stages. That is, not "general" stages like Castle Siege, but more specific ones like Arena Ferox. Coliseum is in a weird spot, in the sense that it's meant to represent the Arenas as a whole, but it's mostly drawing from the Shadow Dragon Arena style (it doesn't help that the localization messed up and called it Coliseum instead of Arena, either...).

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, for example, is rife with great locations they could use, whether it be Ram Village, Zofia Castle, Rigel Castle, Nuibaba's Abode, a battle aboard ships on the seas of Novis, the Swamps of Duma, or Duma's Tower.

And that's just from one game in the series. I get that they might want to go for stages that represent the series as a whole, like with Coliseum, or just the general idea of the series, like Castle Siege. That being said, the fact that Arena Ferox was made from one specific location in the series made it the most hypeworthy of the three stages to me.

bob_long_is_love

Smash Rookie
NNID
GimpsteinDaThicc
I feel that there was a missed opportunity for a stage in the Wii U version, and if they want to honor the Wii U, one stage they could add is a literal Wii U stage.

The stage would be the Wii U console floating in space or some void with wii remotes as passable platforms.

Then in the background could be the gamepad which displays the fight like Pokémon Stadium.

The music on this stage would be the original eShop theme, System Settings Theme, Data Management Theme, Friends List Theme, and the Mii Maker theme.

And since the Switch doesn't have Miiverse, this stage replaces the Miiverse stage.

Though I don't think this stage will ever happen, I just wanted give my two cents.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i think a miitopia stage would be cool, ill come back once ive played it with further ideas

Last edited:

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
Hey there, guys. Here are a few more stage ideas I have had. Another one that I've got but not fully fleshed out is a Bowser's Castle stage that is large like the Great Cave Offensive and features elements of different dangers from various games. I just haven't decided which versions of Bowser's Castle to pull from for it.

Mushroom Kingdom 3

Presented in a 3D version of 8-bit sprites (akin to 75m), this stage has a pool of water in the middle. Breakable blocks are all around, along with a moving platform that goes back and forth over the water. Be careful, though: occasionally, Boss Bass will appear in the water and make a jump towards the platform. If he eats you, then it's an instant KO.

Ice Climb (Ice Climber)

This stage first starts off at the bottom of a snowy mountain. After a moment, the stage will begin scrolling upwards, with platforms offering support during the climb. Some of the platforms are made of ice, meaning they're slippery to move on but can be destroyed. Eventually, the scrolling stops as players reach the summit of the mountain. This portion is more open-air, though occasionally drifting cloud platforms will move by. Eventually, the Condor will appear and let out a call, triggering an avalanche. This result in a blurred background of white and a screen transition (akin to Castle Siege), bringing players back to the bottom of the mountain to start all over.

Panel de Pon

Players battle each other atop two platforms. Each platform is on the highest-most row of blocks in a Panel de Pon grid, as Elias and Flare (two characters from Panel de Pon) battle each other with their puzzle game. As a result, the platforms rise and fall depending on how the two characters are doing in their game.

Gourmet Race (Kirby Super Star)

This scrolling stage constantly moves right through plains and fields as players battle. Food (designed in sprites from Kirby Super Star) abounds as the battle goes on. If you collect a certain number of these foods, then you will receive a temporary speed boost.

Battle Stage (Paper Mario: the Thousand-Year Door)

Though the stage may be a simple flat stage with two support pillars to the ceiling (with the background designed to resemble Rogueport), the audience watching the battle is the arena's big hook. If a player is currently winning the battle or performs a particularly effective smash attack, there's a chance that the audience will throw some healing food to the player. Also, be careful of the support pillars. They can be attacked, and might just cause a stage light to fall down and potentially hurt someone.

Lylat Wars (Star Fox)

Players battle it out atop a support ship that is flying in the middle of a major battle between the forces of Corneria and Andross. Occasionally, Arwings will coast by and offer temporary platforms, while Andross's forces may occasionally perform strafing runs on the support ship.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Previous stages that I want to make the cut:

N64:
Saffron City
Mushroom Kingdom

Melee stages:
Kongo Jungle
Temple

Brawl stages:
Delfino Plaza
Norfair
Smashville

Sm4sh:
Boxing Ring
Super Mario Maker
Pac maze
Mario Galaxy

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Where is this issue with Yoshi coming from exactly? Where in Smash, aside from the CSS (which I agree is a little annoying), is Yoshi being lumped in?
-Some stickers in Brawl that work on the rest of the Mario gang also work on Yoshi.
-The first level of Melee's Adventure Mode has you fight 10 Yoshis, and later goes from Metroid to Kirby (if that one cutscene is anything to go by).
-Mario RPG music at Woolly World.

And that's just the icing on the cake.

if they want to honor the Wii U
Hahahahahahahahaha

Last edited:

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
Love all these stage ideas!
I have to echo the sentiment. There's been a lot of great ideas for stages. As for me, it's been fun trying to come up with stage ideas. Some come easy, while others are a bit more difficult to figure out, but it's fun all the same to figure out neat ideas for stages.

Speaking of which, while I try to figure out some other stage ideas, here is one inspired by an older post.

Donut Plains (Super Mario Kart, inspired by Arcadenik's post)

Presented in a 16-bit form, players battle it out on two flying platforms that fly over a group of Koopa Troopas racing around on the Donut Plains 1 course. The Koopa Troopas move in and out of frame, serving as temporary platforms for one to avoid hitting the road. Be careful, though: stand too long on a Koopa Troopa and they just might spin out! Of course, the risk might be worth it, because an item (usually one associated with the Super Mario franchise) will spawn on a Koopa if they drive over a ? panel on the road.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like to see a pinball stage... maybe based on Pinball (NES), Kirby's Pinball Land, or Revenge of the Gator.

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
So, what do people think might be a good idea for a Bowser's Castle stage? Clearly it's a bit surprising that there has been no stage based around Bowser's Castle, but there feels like so much that you can do with it.

For instance, it could be done like I had mentioned as a Great Cave Offensive-type stage, with plenty of room and a lot of obstacles. There could be plenty of things that could serve as hazards, from the obvious like Thwomps and fire bars to more obscure like the laser-shooting Bowser statues from Super Mario Bros. 3. Either way, drawing from the different iterations for one large stage could be a nice way to show it off.

Of course, another could be to go with a more moderate size stage. In this route, I'd imagine something more inspired by the original SMB game or the newer side scrollers: namely, a core bridge with floating platforms over it. Occasionally, an axe can appear that, when struck, can cause the bridge to collapse and expose the lava pit beneath.

Though, another route I could see is a battle atop Bowser's Castle (perhaps with the neon sign from Super Mario World on the front of it). The stage could have a central area with a few towers. Perhaps there could be an airborne foe that could swing by to cause trouble (for instance, a Koopa Troopa at the controls of the Koopa Clown Car).

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
So, what do people think might be a good idea for a Bowser's Castle stage? Clearly it's a bit surprising that there has been no stage based around Bowser's Castle, but there feels like so much that you can do with it.

For instance, it could be done like I had mentioned as a Great Cave Offensive-type stage, with plenty of room and a lot of obstacles. There could be plenty of things that could serve as hazards, from the obvious like Thwomps and fire bars to more obscure like the laser-shooting Bowser statues from Super Mario Bros. 3. Either way, drawing from the different iterations for one large stage could be a nice way to show it off.

Of course, another could be to go with a more moderate size stage. In this route, I'd imagine something more inspired by the original SMB game or the newer side scrollers: namely, a core bridge with floating platforms over it. Occasionally, an axe can appear that, when struck, can cause the bridge to collapse and expose the lava pit beneath.

Though, another route I could see is a battle atop Bowser's Castle (perhaps with the neon sign from Super Mario World on the front of it). The stage could have a central area with a few towers. Perhaps there could be an airborne foe that could swing by to cause trouble (for instance, a Koopa Troopa at the controls of the Koopa Clown Car).
Bowser Castle has so much potential, it's a crime that so far it's only appeared as the 3rd transformation of the Paper Mario stage. The stage needs to have at least 3 things: lava, Thwomps, and Fire Bars. There are so many ways they could go about creating the stage too, it could be a transforming stage that goes trough the levels like Castle Seige, a huge stage the size of Temple, or a dangerous small level that pushes people together with lava and fireballs.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You guys think 3D World will get skipped?
well theres no reason there can't be both a 3d world and an odyssey stage but smash bros tends to have stages based on the most recent games so by the time smash 5 gets released odyssey will be more recent

well the most recent games when it starts development

Top Bottom