• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wario series haven't had a new game since Game & Wario... maybe Smash 5 could have new Wario stages from old games from the 1990s.

• Wario's Woods (take place inside a hollowed out tree with a Thwomp)
  • Wario Land (takes place on Rice Beach and SS Tea Cup)
I also would like new Yoshi stages from the SNES games.
  • Chocolate Island (with Yoshi's Cookies, Dino Rhinos, hot fudge pits, and angled platforms)
  • Nep-Enut's Domain (with muddy platforms, Nep-Enuts, Ukikis, and swimming)

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
So which Brawl stages should be removed?

Seeing as there were way too many Brawl stages in Smash 4 (so many that it was easier to count the ones that didn't make it), which one of them do you think needs to go? And I'm talking both versions combined.

Smashville
There is literally no reason to have this when Town & City is basically just the same thing, plus a little more.

Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Just seems redundant to have this.

Honorable mentions: Norfair, Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise

Smashville
There is literally no reason to have this when Town & City is basically just the same thing, plus a little more.
Nah smashville is a great legal stage, and is super popular for a reason.

It's pretty different when it comes down to it, with one being a very basic stage with a mmoving platform, and the other having transitioning platforms. Different blastzones too, whihc makes some characters way better on SV than T&C and vice versa.

For the enxt smash though, we dont need a 3rd city stage for sure. More stuff like Tortimer's island would be great

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
What next for Animal Crossing? Desert Island Escape? Or, dare I say it, AC Puzzle League?
I swear to god that last one better not happen. Representing Panel de Pon with a stage based on a game that isn't even its own universe? It's a crime that someone will need to be punished for.

I just want stages that don't have boring music. The main reason I hate Smashville is because the music is so dull and peaceful, yet the stage is ALWAYS being played at tournaments. So matches lack the intensity they could have because of the stupid acoustic guitar and whistling soundtrack. At least remix it so that it's higher energy. This is a fighting game, we need catchy and upbeat music, don't give us music that grandma would put on for her afternoon siesta.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would be okay with a new Animal Crossing stage if it's like Tortimer Island except it takes place in the town itself. Maybe it could be based on Happy Home Designer... hey, maybe the stage could be called "Happy Homes"! Happy Homes would always be random like Tortimer Island and Super Mario Maker... you battle outside in front of a house. The exterior designs of the house and the yard are random.

That... or Happy Homes could take place in the town from Happy Home Designer... but the exterior designs of the buildings are random.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Eh, there's always the inevitable amiibo Festival stage.

I swear to god that last one better not happen. Representing Panel de Pon with a stage based on a game that isn't even its own universe? It's a crime that someone will need to be punished for.
There can always be the option to have a Puzzle League stage and change its skin by holding a different button when selecting it, kind of like how Boxing Ring had.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
There can always be the option to have a Puzzle League stage and change its skin by holding a different button when selecting it, kind of like how Boxing Ring had.
If we're gonna be reskinning stages, there's lots of others I'd rather see them do first. Overall I think it'd be hard and unnecessary to reskin them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
how bout a stage based round the nookling's store as the battle carries on the store upgrades making the stage get bigger

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Rhythm Heaven
Actually, I have no idea how this stage would work. I had many different ideas for it, but can't settle for one of them.
So really, how the heck would this one work, exactly?

1. Plain, straightforward stage?
Nothing special going on. It would have various Rhythm Heaven characters in the background, much like the Animal Crossing stages. And a view of the "smiley castle" that you frequently see a lot in most of its games. But what would the overall background be like?

2. Rhythmic stage?
But it depends, it has to be playable enough to be fun to play on. How would it work? What would you have to do with the music to make the most out of it? If the rhythm gimmick kills the flow of the fight, it's pointless.

3. Huge stage with various level elements?
Huge like Temple, but not as much as Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple. Various parts of the stage would include stuff like the Built to Scale workshop.

4. Random Layout Generator?
Like Gamer, Balloon Fight, and Tortimer Island. The stage would be made up of different elements of the series that work as platforms and hazards in many different ways. For example, you'll have a giant Fork Lifter hand on the side of the stage that jabs down at times.

5. Remix?
The stage will change to different levels from the series often as the fight goes on. All the way to the results screen! (This time, with Smash-related notes, grading you on your fighting ability) And repeat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As I said in the speculation discussion, there's like 20 stages based on grasslands with clear skies.

Do you remember how Great Bay did get pick for a Majora's Mask stage instead of the much more expected Clock Yower in Melee?
And also how Rumble Falls, a mid-game level, has been chosen as the DK Jungle Beat stage?

That's the direction I would love to see getting continued for the next Smash games, stages inspired of more unexpected places.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Finally, someone else who's tired of the "Level 1" trope that most stages seem to be falling under.

I prefer the "whole game/series" approach myself, though. (Wrecking Crew, WarioWare, Balloon Fight, Dream Land (3DS), Tomodachi Life, Pilotwings, Mushroom Kingdom U, etc.) Do you like those kinds of stages too?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think I want a new stage like Poke Floats but the floats are the playable characters. It would be fun to battle on giant Mario, Link, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, etc.

I guess the stage could be called "Smash Floats" or something.

But I also want a new Poke Floats stage. Maybe the floats could be the PokeBall Pokemon and the trophy Pokemon.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
Dumping my most wanted stages/music for Smash Bros Switch.

- Iki Town from Sun and Moon. Walkoff with no hazards. Tapu Koko would come out every once in a while to watch the battle.​

-Inkopolis Plaza. Obvious choice for a stage. Probably walkoff with no hazards. Lots of Inklings in the background cheering on the battle with Callie and Marie cameos.

Castle Krakenburg. Corrin needs a stage, dammit and Castle Krakenburg would be nice. It could be a moving stage like the Castle Siege stage in Brawl/U. The Nohrian siblings, Azura or Garon could cameo.

Super Bell Hill. Mostly because of the music. Could be a tour like stage that goes around locations in 3D World.

....I still want a ALBW stage. Link's House would work well as one. Maybe have it switch between Hyrule/Lorule.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Super Bell Hill. Mostly because of the music. Could be a tour like stage that goes around locations in 3D World.
Then that would make this stage "3D World" instead. You know that Mushroom Kingdom U was more than just Acorn Plains.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Mario Clash

Everything in Red and Black of course, various enemies from the game emerge from pipes at the sides, but you can also go through those pipes to get to the background. You can also kick the enemies back forth between the Background and Foreground! Maybe even three layers?

Nintendo Floats

Poke Floats, but with Nintendo Hardware. R.O.B's new stage.

Gameboy

What 3DS Dreamland should've been. Cycles between stages from Donkey Kong 94, Wario Land, Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters, Balloon Kid, Mole Mania if Muddy isn't playable, all in that classic Gameboy green!

Cerulean Cave

Because where else would Mewtwo fight?? Various Gen 1 Poke such as Chansey, Golbat, Raichu and other locals of the cave are hazards.

Minecart Carnage

Forgive if that's not the name. Fast scrolling stage in the spirit of Big Blue, you fight on Minecarts racing through the shafts, on the rails and over pits. Not a Jungle.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
No idea for new stages, but I'd love to see PokeFloats as well as Ice Mountain from Melee coming back !

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think I want a new Game Boy stage similar to Dream Land stage in SSB4 3DS... except it takes place in Super Mario Land. The stage could be called Sarasaland.

I also would love to see a new Mario stage similar to Delfino Plaza stage in Brawl... but it takes place in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. The stage could be called Mario Land since that's the name of the land in the game. The locations are obviously Mario's House, Tree Zone, Hippo Statue, Space Zone, Macro Zone, Pumpkin Zone, Mario Zone, Turtle Zone, and Wario's Castle.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think I want a new Game Boy stage similar to Dream Land stage in SSB4 3DS... except it takes place in Super Mario Land. The stage could be called Sarasaland.

I also would love to see a new Mario stage similar to Delfino Plaza stage in Brawl... but it takes place in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. The stage could be called Mario Land since that's the name of the land in the game. The locations are obviously Mario's House, Tree Zone, Hippo Statue, Space Zone, Macro Zone, Pumpkin Zone, Mario Zone, Turtle Zone, and Wario's Castle.
I miss most of Melee's stages too. Kongo Jungle is kind of eh, and IC's stage was a little bad. The rest? Pretty good, imo. I want Peach's Castle(Melee) back. Place was pretty well-balanced. Sure, the hazards are strong, but it's not like they're consistently annoying.

I also was hoping New Pork City was a Wii U DLC due to 8 Player Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope for some Melee stages to return. I know Mute City is basically a graphically inferior Port Town but I preferred it that way. Port Town is just to busy for me visually.

And speaking of, Mushroom Kingdom 1 + 2 over the Mushroomy kingdom please.

Side note: It's funny how the most divisive Zelda game (before Skyward Sword) inspired the most well know Smash stage and causal favorite Temple.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
When it comes to past stages:

I'm pretty satisfied with the N64 stages we ended up getting. If we ever got more back though I'd like to see Saffron City and Yoshi's Island (because we don't have enough stages called that as it is right? :p)

From Melee I was kind of expecting the original Pokemon Stadium Big, Blue, and Rainbow Cruise to come back since they were in Brawl, and was a little sad that they didn't. I was also hoping Corneria wouldn't be exclusive to the 3DS, but that didn't happen either. I'd like all four to come back, maybe even merge Sector Z and Corneria given how similar they are.

The stage itself would be the same as Corneria, fighting atop the Great Fox and whatnot, but instead of the old Melee background they could update it to feature Corneria from Zero, and have the ship slowly rise into space to then represent Sector Z like in the old N64 stage.

And aside from those I of course really, really want Yoshi's Story and Fountain of Dreams.

Similar to the Corneria situation, I was hoping WarioWare and Green Hill Zone from Brawl would be in the Wii U version as well.

I was also hoping for New Pork City, and was surprised it wasn't there (especially with the introduction of 8-Player Smash) until we found out Lucas was gone. When he became DLC though, I expected them to add it back in along with Pirate Ship (though I'm very glad we got this one back, love the new Omega form especially), but that surprisingly didn't happen either.

I'd also like to see Frigate Orpheon return and Mario Bros. as well. Provided they reduce the knock back and spawn rate of the enemies. And of course Summit if the Ice Climbers return.

The 3DS version has tons of stages, I'd love to see get updated and ported over to the Switch version regardless of whether it's a port or a new game. Magicant, Dream Land, Prism Tower, Balloon Fight, Find Mii and Pac Maze.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Mario Bros. should have returned in Smash 3DS and do the "move to the other side of the stage from one end" thing that Balloon Fight does.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
A few stages I'd like to see return: Saffron City, Meta Crystal (The place where you fight Metal Mario in 64), Flat Zone 1 on it's own, and the gift from the heavens itself, Poke Floats.

Also, here's a few more of my original Stage Ideas

NES Remix

Another candidate for a R.O.B stage, cycles between Dr. Mario, Golf, Donkey Kong Jr, and Pinball.

100M

75M, but with the final level from Donkey Kong. And actually reasonable hazards.

World 8 Airships

Scrolling Stage, where you move from Airship to Airship dodging Cannonballs, Bullet Bills, and those damn Wrench throwing things.

Training Session

Another Scrolling Stage, this time you follow 8-Bit Doc, running across New York.

Ripsaw Rage

..Maybe I like Scrolling Stages. (Not Rumble Falls tho). Race through the Trees to get the EVER LOVING **** AWAY FROM THAT SAW! Hazards include, the scariest thing ever in a Nintendo Game, a giant saw chasing you through the course.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A few stages I'd like to see return: Saffron City, Meta Crystal (The place where you fight Metal Mario in 64), Flat Zone 1 on it's own, and the gift from the heavens itself, Poke Floats.

Also, here's a few more of my original Stage Ideas

Training Session

Another Scrolling Stage, this time you follow 8-Bit Doc, running across New York.
Now that's an Idea I haven't seen before, that's actually a really interesting and creative suggestion. Now I really want this to happen.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I want Poke Floats to come back just for this!
But really, I had a lot of fun with that stage. I think a huge part of it is probably the fact that the stage auto scrolls, which brings up that Mario ship stage from Melee also which I think it's called Rainbow Cruise? I also miss Big Blue and Fourside.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I want Poke Floats to come back just for this!
But really, I had a lot of fun with that stage. I think a huge part of it is probably the fact that the stage auto scrolls, which brings up that Mario ship stage from Melee also which I think it's called Rainbow Cruise? I also miss Big Blue and Fourside.
>Wobbufet kills Falco
Marth : "Hey, good job destroy-"
>Wobbufet kills Marth

No one shall be spared.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When it comes to past stages:

I'm pretty satisfied with the N64 stages we ended up getting. If we ever got more back though I'd like to see Saffron City and Yoshi's Island (because we don't have enough stages called that as it is right? :p)

From Melee I was kind of expecting the original Pokemon Stadium Big, Blue, and Rainbow Cruise to come back since they were in Brawl, and was a little sad that they didn't. I was also hoping Corneria wouldn't be exclusive to the 3DS, but that didn't happen either. I'd like all four to come back, maybe even merge Sector Z and Corneria given how similar they are.

The stage itself would be the same as Corneria, fighting atop the Great Fox and whatnot, but instead of the old Melee background they could update it to feature Corneria from Zero, and have the ship slowly rise into space to then represent Sector Z like in the old N64 stage.

And aside from those I of course really, really want Yoshi's Story and Fountain of Dreams.

Similar to the Corneria situation, I was hoping WarioWare and Green Hill Zone from Brawl would be in the Wii U version as well.

I was also hoping for New Pork City, and was surprised it wasn't there (especially with the introduction of 8-Player Smash) until we found out Lucas was gone. When he became DLC though, I expected them to add it back in along with Pirate Ship (though I'm very glad we got this one back, love the new Omega form especially), but that surprisingly didn't happen either.

I'd also like to see Frigate Orpheon return and Mario Bros. as well. Provided they reduce the knock back and spawn rate of the enemies. And of course Summit if the Ice Climbers return.

The 3DS version has tons of stages, I'd love to see get updated and ported over to the Switch version regardless of whether it's a port or a new game. Magicant, Dream Land, Prism Tower, Balloon Fight, Find Mii and Pac Maze.
Funny thing is that some of the stages in Brawl were similar to Melee's. Port Town Aero Drive is blatantly an updated Mute City. New Pork City is basically a giant Fourside(although definitely more unique). Frigate Orpheon is practically Brinstar Depths concept-wise(for its gimmick).

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Not a new stage idea, but something I'd to see in general for stages where it would apply. That being, different backgrounds. Different versions that change the stage aesthetics but not the actual layout.

So Suzaku Castle for example could have different times of day. So in addition to the original twilight version we already have:
sf2ce-01-ryu.jpg

Night - SFII Champion Edition
ssf2-01-ryu.jpg

Alt. Night/Dusk - SSFII
3rdstrikeryustage.png

Day - SFIII
Similarly, they could swap the background in Corneria to match that of Sector Z as an easier way to bring that stage back. They could also change the Boxing Ring into a Kirby stage by making it look like Dedede's Arena, etc.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Similarly, they could swap the background in Corneria to match that of Sector Z as an easier way to bring that stage back. They could also change the Boxing Ring into a Kirby stage by making it look like Dedede's Arena, etc.
They could do that but it wouldn't be the same. Sector Z is much bigger than Corneria.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
They could do that but it wouldn't be the same. Sector Z is much bigger than Corneria.
That's true, but it'd be a nice nod as I don't see them bringing in both Sector Z and Corneria when they're essentially the same stage except for size. On the other hand, they could just scale up the Great Fox in addition to the background change as an easy workaround if they really wanted to.
Funny thing is that some of the stages in Brawl were similar to Melee's. Port Town Aero Drive is blatantly an updated Mute City. New Pork City is basically a giant Fourside(although definitely more unique). Frigate Orpheon is practically Brinstar Depths concept-wise(for its gimmick).
I think this is the case across Smash Bros. as a whole really.

You've got the Sector Z and Corneria example. Zebes and Brinstar, etc. A lot of stages use similar concepts but are swapped out to represent modern era versions, while others are almost the same in even layout like the latter two.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Planet Zebes is conceptually similar to Brinstar, that's true... but the stage layout is vastly different enough to justify having both in the same game, IMO.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On the other hand, we could get a Bowser's castle design over Peach's Castle(Melee). >.>

That's true, but it'd be a nice nod as I don't see them bringing in both Sector Z and Corneria when they're essentially the same stage except for size. On the other hand, they could just scale up the Great Fox in addition to the background change as an easy workaround if they really wanted to.
It's really not the same enough to be worth it. The size makes a huge difference, no pun intended. That's like giving Toon Link and Young Link skin. Not even close to playing as Young Link.

I think this is the case across Smash Bros. as a whole really.

You've got the Sector Z and Corneria example. Zebes and Brinstar, etc. A lot of stages use similar concepts but are swapped out to represent modern era versions, while others are almost the same in even layout like the latter two.
Sector Z and Corneria are the only case where they're pretty much identical bar the size. The rest are similar concepts at times, but still different stages in more than one way. Spiritual successor stages are fine, but still different enough. You can easily have both stages in. They're only somewhat redundant overall(in some cases), but still will have overall different battles in the long run.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
On the other hand, we could get a Bowser's castle design over Peach's Castle(Melee). >.>

It's really not the same enough to be worth it. The size makes a huge difference, no pun intended. That's like giving Toon Link and Young Link skin. Not even close to playing as Young Link.

Sector Z and Corneria are the only case where they're pretty much identical bar the size. The rest are similar concepts at times, but still different stages in more than one way. Spiritual successor stages are fine, but still different enough. You can easily have both stages in. They're only somewhat redundant overall(in some cases), but still will have overall different battles in the long run.
I'd gladly take them all, I just don't see them using two very similar stages. The size of the Great Fox in Sector Z and the layout in Zebes compared to Brinstar do make a difference, but the stages are very similar in concept which is what I was getting at.

Riding on the Great Fox from a side view and a Metroid stage with rising and falling acid levels have already been accounted for twice now so unless they just want to include the original N64 stages for nostalgia's sake, I think they'll continue to stick to the Melee versions, provided they don't go off and make new versions of these concepts again.

EDIT: I completely forgot that Norfair and Orbital Gate Assault do somewhat similar things but with more elements added in. Forget everything I said in that case. :p

EDIT 2: Also somehow glossed over Smashville and Town and City. Thanks Guun, can't believe I forgot those given how often they're played. Case in point, ignore my last few posts on the subject, I was way off. :p

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd gladly take them all, I just don't see them using two very similar stages. The size of the Great Fox in Sector Z and the layout in Zebes compared to Brinstar do make a difference, but the stages are very similar in concept which is what I was getting at.

Riding on the Great Fox from a side view and a Metroid stage with rising and falling acid levels have already been accounted for twice now so unless they just want to include the original N64 stages for nostalgia's sake, I think they'll continue to stick to the Melee versions, provided they don't go off and make new versions of these concepts again.
To be fair, both Animal Crossing stages are pretty much near identical, so... not so sure that'll be the case. I don't think we'll get a Sector Z skin over it returning, though. I agree it's unlikely to return, that said.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I'd prefer Saffron City and Mushroom Kingdom return from N64 simply because they have original layouts and gimmicks that Melee stages haven't repeated.

However, and this is a pipe dream, but i'd love to see all 9 64 Stages return in the same game. Throw in Meta Crystal, as well as 64 skins for Battlefield and Final Destination, and i'd be very happy.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Can they just throw in all the Ultra Street Fighter II tracks onto Suzaku Castle? It is Nintendo exclusive after all. I know that doesn't really count for anything, but these are so good. :love:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it would be cool if there is a Super Metroid stage where we battle on top of Samus's gunship as it flies around Crateria, Brinstar, Norfair, Wrecked Ship, and Maridia... similar to Venom from Melee and Pilotwings from SSB4 Wii U. The stage hazards could be Kraid, Ridley :troll:, Crocomire, Spore Spawn, Phantoon, Botwoon, and/or Draygon... and they attack the gunship. The stage could be called "Tour of Zebes" or "Zebes Cruise".

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I think it would be cool if there is a Super Metroid stage where we battle on top of Samus's gunship as it flies around Crateria, Brinstar, Norfair, Wrecked Ship, and Maridia... similar to Venom from Melee and Pilotwings from SSB4 Wii U. The stage hazards could be Kraid, Ridley :troll:, Crocomire, Spore Spawn, Phantoon, Botwoon, and/or Draygon... and they attack the gunship. The stage could be called "Tour of Zebes" or "Zebes Cruise".
plz no

The overall idea is nice but having that many stage bosses, even if it's one at a time for each section is just too much imo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
plz no

The overall idea is nice but having that many stage bosses, even if it's one at a time for each section is just too much imo.
You are right. Better to limit it to just Kraid, Ridley, and Phantoon.

Top Bottom