• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Three stages I want are Bowser's Castle, Gangplank Galleon and Spiral Mountain (If Banjo-Kazoie gets in).

My idea for a stage hazard for the latter is at times in the background Gruntilda will leave her lair and then appear in the stage on her broomstick asking you an rhyming quiz question. If you get it correct she'll attack the other players but if you get it wrong instead she'll attack you.

Then for Gangplank Galleon hazards for that could be at times cannonballs falling from the sky as a reference to the first game at the end when you're fighting King K. Rool.

Last edited:

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
I commented on this earlier but I still reside in the "this is not the final total camp". The 15 past stages I think are cut.... but there are more characters to be announced which may have a stage or two. There are six slots in the selection screen.... before I get the usual groans about that one point.... I will say that it is with near 100% certainty NOT space left for DLC as there is a tab that says "Normal" for all of these 103 stages. If anything, that points to there being more, DLC Planned, and I would even go further out on the limb to call that stage creator is returning. I am calling that the final base-game count is 110 give or take one or two.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Tetris is one of my all-time favorite games. Considering how iconic it is to the video game industry, I am still shocked that all Tetris has in Smash is just two songs. In my opinion, Tetris representation in Smash is more important than any possible character they could add at this point. I feel that Tetris is just as recognizable as Pac-Man, and while a playable character for Tetris probably won't happen due to a lack of options, a stage would be the perfect way to pay tribute to the franchise. There is so much that could be done in a Tetris stage too, the falling blocks would create a unique dynamic that has never been seen in a Smash stage before. A great example can be found in the video linked below, where someone created a modded Tetris stage for Brawl years ago.

Does anyone else think a Tetris stage would be awesome?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Tetris is one of my all-time favorite games. Considering how iconic it is to the video game industry, I am still shocked that all Tetris has in Smash is just two songs. In my opinion, Tetris representation in Smash is more important than any possible character they could add at this point. I feel that Tetris is just as recognizable as Pac-Man, and while a playable character for Tetris probably won't happen due to a lack of options, a stage would be the perfect way to pay tribute to the franchise. There is so much that could be done in a Tetris stage too, the falling blocks would create a unique dynamic that has never been seen in a Smash stage before. A great example can be found in the video linked below, where someone created a modded Tetris stage for Brawl years ago.

Does anyone else think a Tetris stage would be awesome?
Of course, Tetris would make a fantastic stage. And the series really needs to make some form of appearance in Smash. Either as a stage or even as an AT in the vein of Color TV Game 15 would be great.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
A Tetris stage would be great, but I don't exactly see how it would work when one of those blocks falls on a fighter.
In the mod stage, they glitch through. That looks very weird. What does Nintendo do when it is made in Ultimate?

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
A Tetris stage would be great, but I don't exactly see how it would work when one of those blocks falls on a fighter.
In the mod stage, they glitch through. That looks very weird. What does Nintendo do when it is made in Ultimate?
They could have characters get crushed, like in Midgar.
Poor Dk.gif

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
I saw someone say Saltspray Rig would be cool, and now I really want it.
Also, I really want a stage based on City Escape, in the same style of Port Town Aero Dive.

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
I'm still bummed that out of ALL of the places they could have chosen for a Splatoon stage, they picked Moray Towers.
Out of all the Splatoon stages, Moray Towers was the only one that could've realistically been converted into a 2-dimensional space without sacrificing what the stage was known for.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Out of all the Splatoon stages, Moray Towers was the only one that could've realistically been converted into a 2-dimensional space without sacrificing what the stage was known for.
like changing water levels or conveyor belts?

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
like changing water levels or conveyor belts?
It's not just about the gimmicks, it's about the terrain still feeling like the stage. Mahi-Mahi and Piranha Pit would need massive rearranging to function in 2D, to the point where it probably wouldn't feel the same in my opinion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not just about the gimmicks, it's about the terrain still feeling like the stage. Mahi-Mahi and Piranha Pit would need massive rearranging to function in 2D, to the point where it probably wouldn't feel the same in my opinion.
i can see where youre coming from dont think itd matter to much to the smash team mind you

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think it might be a bit cruel considering Tetris blocks would be dropping like crazy, but I really don't see any other way it can work.
The blocks could be slow enough to give ample time to avoid them. They could also knovk away airborne characters which would further lower the chance of being squashed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i hope we get some more tomdachi life tracks and some tracks from the other street pass games

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
I think it might be a bit cruel considering Tetris blocks would be dropping like crazy, but I really don't see any other way it can work.
One thing that really should be present in a stage like this is a "ghost piece", or the thing that shows where a Tetrimino will land. So if it actually looked something like this, it'd do massive amounts of favors to the stage's playability.
1536636945347.png

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So I got a chance to hear what was said again (NOW the total number of stages is 103) and I still think we might be getting a couple more new stages. I won’t be devastated if we don’t, though.

I’m not thinking any more previous stages are returning or else they wouldn’t have basically shown them all. I’m thinking maybe one or two reserved to coincide with new characters and possibly a new Mute City to correspond with Mute City SNES. And hopefully a Bowser’s Castle too ;)

A couple more thoughts:

1) I seriously hope they change the name of “Yoshi’s Island (Melee)” in post. There is precedent for it, and they went out of their way to rename all the other ones to avoid the parentheses. Also, they have the name “Dinosaur Land” just sitting right there in front of them...it’s no less jarring than “Super Happy Tree”.

2) I’m wondering if along with Stage Morph we could see some sort of “Battlefield/Omega tour” thing where it scrolls through all of the respective variants. Like BF Great Bay -> BF FInd Mii -> BF Suzaku and so on. It would make for great variety all at once while still having the playing field be fair.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
You might remember my Grape Garden-Stage from page 9, and now I'm back with another one. This time it's based on the Ace Attorney-series. While I personally can't quite picture Phoenix Wright as a fighter, I'd still love to see some representation of this franchise in Smash.

1537053900750.png

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Seems like there's still 5 stages we don't know about.
Late to the party. This has been discussed for a while now. :p

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Seems like there's still 5 stages we don't know about.
Good, my worries about the select screen will be fixed.

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
I originally said 110 give or take one or two. This is my obligatory I told you so post.... jk just happy to see we may be getting some more series represented.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Got a lot so I’m not gonna post pictures:
Inside of Bowser (from mario and Luigi bowsers Inside Story)

Cap Kingdom

Death Mountain

Ghost Ship

Wuhu Town

Urchin Underpass

Palet Town

SNES Rainbow Road

Murisame Castle

Classic Ice Climbers Mountain

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My prediction for these five stages.

-Alola Poke Floats
-Forest Maze/Star Road
-Kirby stage (Since Marx is rumored to be a boss)
-Minecraft stage
-Rhythm Heaven stage

What I'm hoping for though.

-Bowser's Castle
-Gangplank Galleon

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
How I think these stages could go, from most likely to least likely:

Pokemon Stage (Either Sun and Moon Stage or Poke Floats 2 with gens 2-7)
Minecraft Stage (Vergeben Leak. Honestly it makes more sense then a Fighter, since Minecraft is a game about Worlds and not characters)
Possible Stage for a Second Square Enix Rep (If it's Geno (which it probably is) or somehow a second FF rep, it might not happen, since we have a lot of Newcomers from existing franchises that didn't get new stages)
Stage for New Franchise (Rhythm Heaven, Shantae, Golden Sun, etc.)
Modern Kirby Stage (Much more likely if Bandana Dee gets in)

I don't expect any returning stages (besides Poke Floats 2, if you even count that), because they would have shown them off already.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think all 5 stages will be for new series [maybe except 1, which is 50/50], though not necessarily all of them will be for new fighters from new series, and returning stages are finished. There'd be no reason not to show them otherwise, as Isabelle and K. Rool didn't get stages [although I still think: I'm guessing Golden Sun (heard the Venus Lighthouse tossed around a lot), Minecraft, Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario RPG (a half exception, otherwise insert another wild card), and a wild card. Wild card could be an exception like an Alola stage for Incineroar or a stage with no fighter, like a Tetris stage.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another stage I'd love to see is the Underworld from Kid Icarus. It'd especially fit perfectly as Medusa's stage.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Since it looks like we just might get 5 more stages, I’m thinking they’re gonna be...

A “Dark” Mario Stage - could be Bowser’s Castle, could be something from Mario RPG if a certain someone gets in

Mute City - Because of Mute City SNES’ name; maybe it’s the one from Mario Kart 8?

Not sure about others (maybe another Pac-Man Stage), but I still think the Battlefield and/or Omega tour idea I had earlier makes a little sense, even if it’s boring.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I'd like a Crafted World stage to replace the Woolly World one :yoshi:
This makes my list as well, some of the options I want are: (no real order)

- Ultra Space. Or some neat SuMo stage that's not just stationary
- Tetris. Really needs to happen
- Advance Wars. Andy seems a bit unrealistic, but a stage at least would be dope
- Minecraft. Some don't want it, but they get really creative with it
- Bowser Castle. Really should be here already
- Pokefloats 2. Would be a nice surprise, would hopefully fix the issues with the original
- Rhythm Heaven stage. I'd love a rep, but a WarioWare styled stage would be good too
- Pac-Maze 2. It'd be a shame if Pac-Land was our only pacman stage
- Crafted World Stage. Like Zinith said
- Excite Bike Arena. So iconic that it deserves a bit more than just an AT
- Pushmo stage. I'd love this, maybe one of my top picks
- Snipperclippers stage. Pretty please, could be super cool if done well
- 1-2 Switch. Not a necessity, but again, could be cool
- LABO. Similar to 1-2 Switch situation

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
With Yoshi getting a Crafted World costume I'm fairly certain we're going to get a stage based on it as well. It definitely explains why the Wolly World stage didn't return.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
With Yoshi getting a Crafted World costume i'm fairly certain we're going to get a stage based on it as well. It definitely explains why the Wolly World stage didn't return.
Characters and stages were planned from 2015. A single unplanned character texture can be thrown in later, as was the case with ZSS's alt outfit in 4.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
tell that to stage based on games that werent out yet
What?

Breath of the Wild was in various forms of development since 2011.

Mario Odyssey started development almost the same time as Ultimate, and seems to have ramped into production sooner.

Contrast with ARMS, which started later.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What?

Breath of the Wild was in various forms of development since 2011.

Mario Odyssey started development almost the same time as Ultimate, and seems to have ramped into production sooner.

Contrast with ARMS, which started later.
still doesnt mean the stages were finalised right at the start

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
still doesnt mean the stages were finalised right at the start
Smash's development, like most projects of its production scale, tend to be very waterfall-y. (Post-64) We know Sakurai puts a lot of effort into his project plans, and seems to follow them pretty closely.

Known or suspected deviations from the plan are rare, outside of content cut due to running out of time:
  • Possibly aspects of Melee Ganondorf, as his Spaceworld model was retrofitted to Falcon's animation rig very late
  • Sonic being re-included in Brawl, after Sega initially said no
  • Possibly Diddy's down-B in Brawl, if Dixie was a tag-team character linked to him and used it
  • Robin substituted in for Chrom in 4. (Suspected)
  • Addition of the clone characters in 4; additional replacement costumes created in the slots for the original characters, and ZSS
  • Various aspects of 4 that did not work well on the 3DS, like Balloon Knockback, multiplayer Smash Run, 3D models for Pikmin and Flying Man, and possibly character transformations in general
Across the 4 sequels and their daunting complexity, this is a very short list.

Robin's substitution mid-development in 4 was the biggest alteration we suspect, and we don't really know how early/late that was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom