• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
While I’m more than hyped about the sheer amount of stages, I still can’t help but be a little bit salty about two in particular that did not return... Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze, both from the 3DS.

It annoys me that we got TWO Mario Circuits (I realized one was renamed to Figure-8 Circuit, but both are still very similar as the “basic” MK track). Rainbow Road is the most iconic MK track, and arguably one of the most iconic locations in video gaming. I can’t think of any reason why it was cut.

Pac-Maze is far more iconic and representative of Pac-Man than Pac-Land is. Simple as that.

Still blown away by the reveals. I’m on the fence about whether or not we’re getting new stages. 100 (excluding Battelfields and FD) is a really clean number, but I feel like there’s still a few we haven’t seen.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
There's going to be more stages, especially the fact that Mute City 3DS was renamed Mute City(SNES). My prediction for some of the remaining stages.

1. Tekken Stage

2. Tales of Stage

3. Pokemon & Moon Stage

4. Forest Maze(if Geno is in)

5. Another Mute city(either Melee's or possibly a new version based on GX).

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
IF we get PokeFloats, I can see it being something like “Alolan PokeFloats” or something were the balloons travel over Alola and we can see the islands below. This way, it fills the need of having an Alolan stage and PokeFloats in one shot.

Either that, or it’s something totally different. We heard the remixed version of the Sun and Moon battle theme so that needs to go somewhere. I mean I don’t see a stage where it could be “Most Likely” played.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Okay, my stage guesses for the last 6 spots:

1 Xenoblade X stage to come alongside Elma
2 Pokémon Sun & Moon stage
3 Rhythm Heaven stage (to come with Chorus Kids, please?)
4 Nintendo Land stage, please make the dream real
5 Mute City, a new one, maybe based on Mario Kart 8’s Mute City
6 The last one is a tough one, maybe one based on a last third party blow-out (Banjo-Kazooie)?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yo anyone know how I can can get higher resolution images of the stages from the website: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/stage/index.html ?
They're all blurry and zoomed in
If you press Control U, it brings up the source for the website. Look for the word "assets" (you can use Control F to search within a page), and you'll find this. (you have to add "www.smashbros.com" to the start of it)

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_main01.jpg
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_main01_2.jpg

These are for the new stages on the top of the page, so only the numbers 1-4 work.

These are the rest of the stages:

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_img1.jpg

Any number from 1-103 should work, though some of them have English versions of the screenshots:

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_img9_en.jpg
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_img73_en.jpg
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_img81_en.jpg
https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_img85_en.jpg

Every other number should be fine. So, for example, if you change the 1 in the example that I gave to 103, you'll get this: https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/stage/stage_img103.jpg

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Okay, my stage guesses for the last 6 spots:

1 Xenoblade X stage to come alongside Elma
2 Pokémon Sun & Moon stage
3 Rhythm Heaven stage (to come with Chorus Kids, please?)
4 Nintendo Land stage, please make the dream real
5 Mute City, a new one, maybe based on Mario Kart 8’s Mute City
6 The last one is a tough one, maybe one based on a last third party blow-out (Banjo-Kazooie)?
I agree with the first two and the last if it's Banjo-Kazooie. But I would add a Super Mario RPG stage, a Tropical Freeze stage, and a Minecraft stage. Assuming the leak about Minecraft stuff is true.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that we will be getting Melee's Mute City back and stages based on whatever new franchises they decide to add.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Castle - Mario Kart series

Excitebike Arena - Excitebike

After Wrecking Crew, Pilotwings and such, it's time for another classic retro title which can hardly have playable representation to shine.
I have been waiting for an Excitebike stage forever! And I am really routing for an Excitebiker being playable.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice

Cascade Kingdom- Super Mario Odyssey deserved two stages to me. The question was what other kingdom should be featured? The Sand and Moon Kingdoms both also came to mind, but then I realized that if the secret mode really is Spirits and includes a fray of bosses, the Dinosaur that appears in Cascade would be a good fit. Plus, the kingdom is stunning.

Zora's Domain- Like Odyssey, Breath of the Wild deserves another stage. The Tower is cool, but I feel it doesn't represent Breath of the Wild in the best way possible. I felt if there was a second stage, it would have to be at one of the four big communities in Legend of Zelda. It could be a rotating stage that goes through all four, but I would be fine with it resting at Zora's Domain, as the stage is just so stunning.

Stable- Three Breath of the Wild stages might be pushing it, but there's so many cool places in that game! I had a really interesting idea for a stable stage. The fighting could take place in front of the stable. Then, occasionally horses could run by and you would have to jump onto them to stay in the mix of the fight. Then you could fight on top of them until they return you back to the stable.

Gamble Galaxy- I had another really unique yet unlikely idea. A stage that took place entirely in the galaxy surround Kirby's home, except for you would fight on gigantic warp stars as you traveled around the galaxy. I don't see this happening, but I think it would be one of the most beautiful stages yet if they managed to pull it off.

DK Island- I think that there will be a stage to go along with King K Rool's inclusion in Smash Bros Ultimate, it probably just hasn't been revealed yet as they wanted to end the direct on King K Rools reveal, not a stage reveal. This would fit perfectly and further serve as a salute to Donkey Kong 64. Besides, the Donkey Kong series really needs some better Smash stages in my opinion.

Gangplank Galleon- This could also be the stage that represents King K. Rool, and is probably more likely than DK Island. I say this because K Rool's final smash blasts a laser at it. Who knows, maybe his final smash blasts a laser at whatever stage you're playing on, and they just happened to be playing at DK Island, but that seems a bit unlikely to me. I feel this stage is consistently associated with K. Rool, which is why I think it being in Smash makes a lot of sense.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Kind of disappointed that it seems we've gotten all of the past stages we're going to get and Jungle Hijinxs is not among them. That was a really unique and visually pleasing stage. Seems kind of silly to cut that for the Stage Morph feature (if that is indeed the reason they cut it) when you could simply just exclude it from that mode.

Also, it's even more disappointing that there's only three Donkey Kong stages in the entire game so far (not counting 75M, as that is more a Mario stage to me), and all three are jungle environments. It would've been nice to get Gangplank Galleon with King K. Rool, especially with that HD Donkey Kong Island they could've used in the background. I'm still holding out hope for a Tropical Freeze stage, but I'm not going to be surprised if there isn't one.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
As much as I love seeing old stages return, I'm disappointed by the lack of new stages. And judging by how Sakurai was talking about stages in the direct, and how they were presented, I think we know of all the stages there are now. So many places from various series that'd make for great stages, all unused.

Maybe we'll see some brand new stages as DLC.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
N-Tranced: A quick Crash Bandicoot Bonus level shortly before fighting N-Tranced, who has Brainwashed Crunch Bandicoot, but is occasionaly teamed up with N-Tropy who can literally rewind time by 5 seconds (damage counters remain the same) or speed up or slow down time, while N-Tranced can scramble either your attack button commands or control stick movement. Crunch Bandicoot will use elemental powers obtained from the elementals, isn't time travel wonderful? Don't worry it's a morphing stage, once the boss fight begins the background warps between N. Sanity Island/Wumpa Islands, Crash 3 Warped levels, The Dragon Realms, and Twinsanity Island from the Evil dimension.

Or... "Crunch Time" a level where Crunch Bandicoot is in the Background with Dr. Cortex giving the orders to destroy the competition. (He's angry that he wasn't invited as a playable character)

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So the fact that Endless Ocean is a thing that exists was point out to me in another unrelated thread, and it got me thinking. An Endless Ocean themed stage would be beautiful! Has that been suggested before? I haven't played the game before obviously since i just learned of it's existence, but I'm just imagining a stage with beautiful aquatic backgrounds, with perhaps coral reef themed platforms. I guess the only problem might be that it just doesn't come off as terribly video game-esque.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I want Yoshis Wooly World, Pac Maze, jungle hijinx, and Poke Floats to come back but New Pokemon Stage seems most likely and proably another retro stage also if Geno makes the cut I would love to see an SMRPG stage besides that a link between worlds stage would be my personal hope

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
This is what I’m hoping is going to happen.

1. Mute City
2. Pac-Maze
3. New Pokémon stage
4. Golden Sun stage
5. Geno stage
6. Minecraft stage

I think that Monster Hunter stage was just for Spirits, but I wouldn’t be against getting it for DLC, along with Monster Hunter as a character.

So my DLC wishlist would be
7. PokeFloats, but updated with Pokémon from all gens
8. Banjo-Kazooie stage (plus character)
9. Orbital Gate Assault
10. Wooly World
11. A new DK stage
12. Rhythm Heaven (plus character)
13. ARMS stage (plus character)

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't it be? It might have been a generic location but it was very visually appealing
I guess. I thought that Coliseum was poorly received because it was generic. If that's not the case, then OK.

I still prefer Arena Ferox to Coliseum, but Arena Ferox is in the game so

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
While I’m more than hyped about the sheer amount of stages, I still can’t help but be a little bit salty about two in particular that did not return... Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze, both from the 3DS.

It annoys me that we got TWO Mario Circuits (I realized one was renamed to Figure-8 Circuit, but both are still very similar as the “basic” MK track). Rainbow Road is the most iconic MK track, and arguably one of the most iconic locations in video gaming. I can’t think of any reason why it was cut.

Pac-Maze is far more iconic and representative of Pac-Man than Pac-Land is. Simple as that.

Still blown away by the reveals. I’m on the fence about whether or not we’re getting new stages. 100 (excluding Battelfields and FD) is a really clean number, but I feel like there’s still a few we haven’t seen.
Those are the two most confusing exclusions to me too, ESPECIALLY Pac-Maze.
Maybe they didn't feel like redoing all the visuals for Rainbow Road or something, but I can't think of a single valid reason for Pac-Maze to be excluded.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do we have an idea of which stages returning in Ultimate can be competitively playable with the possibility to turn hazards off?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
In the mood to talk stages. These would be my most wanted stages as unlikely as some may be...

Phendrana Drifts/Skytown (Metroid Prime/Corruption)
Clock Town (Majora's Mask)
Tetris
Noctilum (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Mario Strikers
Sky Pillar (ORAS)

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
So, I think it makes sense for there to be 6 more stages, considering how the SSS has room for precisely 6 more. The question is whether they're all going to be new or if it's going to be a mix of new and old.

One that I'd like to see if Skull Kid comes back is the Stone Tower Temple. At random intervals the stage will be flipped upside down.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so are we amusing the characters who are sumonable wont come out of pokeballs/assist trophies on the stages where they are also background characters?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I won’t say how I feel about those 6 empty slots right now (though I do have an opinion).

But I will say I really like how every song from a series works on every stage now. I can fill the void of no Sector Z by playing Venom on Corneria. Also it’ll be really nice to hear other songs besides the Zelda theme on Hyrule Castle - I really like Gerudo Valley and Midna’s Lament in particular.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So I watched Gamexplain's stage comparison video recently, and my gosh every stage looks so much better. Even the N64 stages, which have purposefully kept the simple look, have added details to make them look much nicer. It's especially noticeable with Peach's castle. The bottom platform has been redone and the metal things in the top corners have modeled bumps. The railing is also modeled this time and not a flat texture. Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the Brawl stages seem to have been either partially or completely redone. Eldin Bridge and Distant Planet in particular look miles better. They fit in so much more nicely without the washed out textures from brawl, which seem to have been replaced with much brighter colors (the shade of blue and red on WarioWare Inc.'s pig and 75m's ground highlights this). The new lighting also make Wii U stages just look that much better too.
So, I think it makes sense for there to be 6 more stages, considering how the SSS has room for precisely 6 more. The question is whether they're all going to be new or if it's going to be a mix of new and old.

One that I'd like to see if Skull Kid comes back is the Stone Tower Temple. At random intervals the stage will be flipped upside down.
I agree we'll probably get more stages. It's rather suspicious the bottom row of stages isn't centered. If I had to guess, we'd probably get all new ones, as they have no reason to hide any returning stages. I would assume we'd get a new stage for every new fighter, but Ridley and K Rool already were shown off without a new stage of their own, so I'm unsure. Characters from unrepresented franchises would surely get a new stage, but I'm not even sure we'll get another 6 fighters to give new stages to. I'm thinking we might possibly get a normal stage for monster hunter, but that's looking unlikely now. We might just end up with a weird SSS this time around lol.
so are we amusing the characters who are sumonable wont come out of pokeballs/assist trophies on the stages where they are also background characters?
I'm pretty sure we've seen Knuckles on Green Hill. Anyways, I'm sure they'd still be summoned. It shouldn't really be a big deal.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure we've seen Knuckles on Green Hill. Anyways, I'm sure they'd still be summoned. It shouldn't really be a big deal.
well it would mean that palkia could appear on spear pillar and flip the stage after the palkia in the background had already flipped it

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
well it would mean that palkia could appear on spear pillar and flip the stage after the palkia in the background had already flipped it
I'm pretty sure certain legendary Pokémon would have to be prohibited from spawning on certain Pokémon stages for this reason (or just removed from Poké Balls all together). Legendary Pokémon are one of a kind canonically, so having a Palkia right next to another Palkia would make Pokémon fans go nuts.

To point another out, Moltres, while not yet confirmed for Smash Ultimate, has been in every game since Smash Melee. If he is added, there are going to be issues on Saffron City because he appears as a cameo.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm pretty sure certain legendary Pokémon would have to be prohibited from spawning on certain Pokémon stages for this reason (or just removed from Poké Balls all together). Legendary Pokémon are one of a kind canonically, so having a Palkia right next to another Palkia would make Pokémon fans go nuts.

To point another out, Moltres, while not yet confirmed for Smash Ultimate, has been in every game since Smash Melee. If he is added, there are going to be issues on Saffron City because he appears as a cameo.
Not really. Electrode is both on Saffron and a Pokeball, And Moltres is just a background element.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well we already know plakia is both

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The primary factor determining total number of stages was how many they were able to complete in time before content-lock, which was mid-July at the latest. Geometry of the stage select screen has nothing to do with it, especially because how else do you arrange 104 items in a grid?

Plus, it leaves room for DLC stages, which was a UI annoyance last time.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I kinda want to see Icicle Mountain return. It feels weird that Sonic has more stages than Ice Climbers.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Not really. Electrode is both on Saffron and a Pokeball, And Moltres is just a background element.
What makes Electrode different though is that he isn’t a legendary Pokémon unlike Palkia and Moltres. Canonically, two Electrodes on the same stage at the same time it is feasible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I believe that there are 6 stages left to be confirmed, because that's how many stages the SSS has room for. I'm thinking that Mute City Melee is coming back. I also think that the remaining five spots will represent five new franchises,

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
do we know if we can now swim on tortimer island and great bay?
Tortimer Island has been shown with swimming. No word on great bay yet, but that would be a major change for the stage...not sure if better or worse but curious now :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Tortimer Island has been shown with swimming. No word on great bay yet, but that would be a major change for the stage...not sure if better or worse but curious now :)
well if tortimer island has it dont see why great bay wouldnt might get a little disconcerting if it doesnt

Dan

Smash Lord
Has it been confirmed there are no more stages coming back? Why is everyone assuming that?

I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be disappointing to not have every stage come back given this "Ultimate", especially when they are so close; I would borderline sacrifice a newcomer or a few Echos. I know that's sad, but that's how much of a completionist I am.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I believe that there are 6 stages left to be confirmed, because that's how many stages the SSS has room for. I'm thinking that Mute City Melee is coming back. I also think that the remaining five spots will represent five new franchises,
I don't think Mute City from Melee is coming back. They intentionally avoided putting in stages that were too similar to one another. Planet Zebes was cut because of Brinstar. Flat Zone 1 and 2 were cut because of Flat Zone X. The list goes on and on. The Pokémon Stadiums are an exception because they actually play very differently.

Port Town Aero Dive is already in the game, and it was way too similar to Mute City. I don't see it coming back. There's also the fact that I don't think Nintendo would give Captain Falcon, the only Smash Bros representative of his franchise, more than three different stages dedicated to him. Some characters barely have one stage on their own. Have you seen the Fire Emblem fighter to stage ratio as of now? It's 7:3.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Speaking of ratios, here's the stage-to-character ratio for Ultimate. Mii Fighters and the Battlefield and FD stages are excluded. Nintendo DS, Electroplankton, Balloon Fight, Nintendogs, Tomodachi Life, Find Mii, Pilotwings, Wii Sports and Wrecking Crew has no fighters.

:ultyoshi:4
:ultfalcon::ultvillager:3
:ultmario:2.25
:ultkirby::ultness::ultwario::ultsonic::ultolimar:2
:ultlink:1.5
:ultdk:1.33
:ultsamus::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpit::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:1
:ultpikachu:0.78
:ultsimon:0.5
:ultmarth:0.43
:ultrob:0

My boi is WAY too overrepresented in relation to fighters. He needs to even things out...

Top Bottom