• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Kind of wish we got mute city and rainbow road and mushroom kingdom 1, pictochat 1, wooly world, jungle hijinx, pac maze, and a couple more new stages would have been nice but it really is not that big of a deal and I am just thankful we have this many stages with a majority of my favorites returning.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Well, looks like both Sector Z and Orbital Gate Assault will not be returning. A damn shame, because those were my two most wanted stages to return. If I had to guess, it's because Sakurai wants everything to match. With Sector Z likely retaining it's Star Fox 64 design to stay nostalgic, and Orbital Gate Assault definitively needing to stay based off Star Fox: Assault, I guess Sakurai felt that they would've stood out and went against bringing them back.

Hopefully there's a Star Fox stage that we haven't seen yet based off something new from Star Fox Zero. Corneria, Venom, and Lylat Cruise all returning with a facelift is nice and all, but I'd kill for a new Star Fox stage.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So the direct said something about 103 being "the final total", but the stage select screen just looks weird with those empty boxes just begging to be filled in. DLC perhaps?

Also, was anybody else hoping they could be grouped by series or even just have a favorites page? I'm sure I'll get used to it but...
1) it just looks so crazy to pick from
2) that single tab up there just screams "organize me!"

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
So the direct said something about 103 being "the final total", but the stage select screen just looks weird with those empty boxes just begging to be filled in. DLC perhaps?

Also, was anybody else hoping they could be grouped by series or even just have a favorites page? I'm sure I'll get used to it but...
It never said final total. It only said that they now have 103 stages. I still can't fathom the idea that they'd just announce all of them right here and then. We still have 4 months to go and that would essentially make the remaining newcomers all too obvious since you could narrow it down to veteran franchises.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that this is all of the stages that we will be getting. They wouldn't announce all of the stages now and it will also disconfirm all characters from a franchise that has yet to have a playable character.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
One interesting thing I saw brought up that may be why some stages aren't returning is because of the Stage Morphing mechanic. Any stage that has strange properties or too much going on at once wouldn't be compatible.

Jungle Hijinx would be incompatible since the game wouldn't be able to morph if players are spread across the background and foreground.

Orbital Gate Assault is a massive stage with a lot going on. The morph mechanic probably wouldn't be able to reliably render the entire stage in a good time.

Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls both travel upwards, and would probably result in issues with transforming into a vertically moving stage like those.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well at least new donk city hall looks great even if it did deconfim my most wanted character

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
They were very clear that there are exactly 103 total stages in Ultimate.

The website has been updated to show all 103 stages, in a rigid custom layout not designed to add more.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
They were very clear that there are exactly 103 total stages in Ultimate.

The website has been updated to show all 103 stages, in a rigid custom layout not designed to add more.
I actually counted them... which makes me wonder does this means that we aren't getting new stages? meaning we aren't getting new franchises?

While i think that we likely gonna get like... 2-3 new newcomers top. i really would've loved a rythm heaven rep... do you guys think thsi deconfirms characters like Isaac or Rayman?

BTW i think that the monster hunter stage may be like a singleplayer stage only.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I actually counted them... which makes me wonder does this means that we aren't getting new stages? meaning we aren't getting new franchises?

While i think that we likely gonna get like... 2-3 new newcomers top. i really would've loved a rythm heaven rep... do you guys think thsi deconfirms characters like Isaac or Rayman?

BTW i think that the monster hunter stage may be like a singleplayer stage only.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Correct on all counts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

seems about right the way things have been going

Aixy

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how many stages we're still missing? I know we're missing Pokefloats and Miiverse.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Welp stage speculation is complete

I count 103 in that

I should point out this tells me a lot of newcomers I think the Franchise that didn't get a stage it's not in the base roster (excluding retro characters)

Aixy

Smash Rookie
Welp stage speculation is complete

I count 103 in that

I should point out this tells me a lot of newcomers I think the Franchise that didn't get a stage it's not in the base roster (excluding retro characters)
Does this include the Monster Hunter Stage? The 103? Also we're only missing 13 stages. They could easily patch some in later.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Does this include the Monster Hunter Stage? The 103? Also we're only missing 13 stages. They could easily patch some in later.
Yes the hunter could actually happen as a matter of fact a youtuber guess that main character

So kudos may have very possibly nailed it since we can get 3 characters from a company

Aixy

Smash Rookie
Yes the hunter could actually happen as a matter of fact a youtuber guess that main character

So kudos may have very possibly nailed it since we can get 3 characters from a company
as for the other 13 they could do it in 2 packs. Pack 1 includes 6 stages. The 2 missing from 64, and the 4 from Melee. Pack 2 would include 7. 1 From brawl, 2 from 3DS, and 4 from WiiU, minus Miiverse.

I mean that's such a low number of missing stages. Why not bring them in? You're so close to having every stage.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Correct on all counts.
I don't think that's quite fair to say yet. He said the stage total is Turning Out to be Pretty Impressive, which indicates development is still ongoing. Now the total number of stages is, wala, 103.

Those are both qualifiers for the time being. And that's counting what they have officially revealed. While I think this effectively does deconfirm any missing stages from past games we haven't already seen, I don't think it deconfirms future stages. If he said a different number speculation would take over as to what those additional stages would be and try to get around to figuring things out from that number. He wouldn't want to reveal new stages before the character announcement happens.

That now part could indicate that yes this is the final tally, but I think it's weird to actively phrase that in such a way. Sakurai rarely outright confirms stuff like that this early on, and he seems to be focused on making sure fans are exactly aware of where to place their hype with the noticeable deconfirmations happening and the number of confirmations already happening. I have no doubt that this is it for returning stages, but I'm less convinced that he would leave out the opportunity for any additional new stages elsewhere.

I do also understand 103 is an exact number and he could have just said over 100 and gotten the point across, but again, a large part of what Sakurai seems to be doing with this game is being as upfront with fans as possible on the content of the game so that people don't get their hopes up in the wrong places, and saying 103 now feels like a way of saying these are the returning stages you all will have. Any additional new stages I would see held for additional reveals potentially.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sakurai also told us explicitly that more new characters are coming, and hid the unknown mystery mode with the subtly of waltzing elephant. He told us, numerically, that there are more items, Pokemon, and Assist Trophies than what has been currently revealed. He clearly has zero problem alluding to future yet-to-be-revealed content.

He did none of this with stages. He said an exact number, showed us a graph comparing it to the final numbers of previous games, and showed us a final stage select screen. The website is updated with a final, unchanging layout of exactly 103 stages--more cannot "fill in" like with characters, it's very rigid.

It is clear that the only reason this wasn't revealed earlier was because of Dracula's Castle. Now that Simon has been revealed, the one and only barrier to showing off the complete stage list is out of the way.

Remaining newcomers will, like King K. Rool, not have stages.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sakurai also told us explicitly that more new characters are coming, and hid the unknown mystery mode with the subtly of waltzing elephant. He told us, numerically, that they are more items, Pokemon, and Assist Trophies than what has been currently revealed. He clearly has zero problem alluding to future reveals.

He did none of this with stages. He said an exact number, showed us a graph comparing it to the final numbers of previous games, and showed us a final character select screen. The website is updated with a final, unchanging layout of exactly 103 stages--more cannot "fill in" like with characters, it's very rigid.

It is clear that the only reason this wasn't revealed earlier was because of Dracula's Castle. Now that Simon has been revealed, the one and only barrier to showing off the complete stage list is out of the way.

Remaining newcomers will, like King K. Rool, not have stages.
The website still has at least two spots on the bottom row for stages if they were to add more, next to Pilotwings and Dracula's Castle. Not that I take any stock in the whole you can't change things to accommodate more content anyway, because as the creators of all of this stuff they can change anything they want to. There's not a guarantee that this is the final layout of said stage roster and pages. Additionally the in game stage selection screen had plenty of space after the newest stages for potentially more. I don't take either of those things to be "proof" that there are more stages coming, but I can see the possibility.

I just don't think you have enough proof yet to make that call on there being no new stages. Even with his focus on returning stages, I can barely see the possibility of Sakurai only making a grand total of 4 (7 if you decide to count Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination) new stages. He said don't expect too many newcomers, and threw in 2 brand new ones today in addition to 3 Echo fighters. I understand that characters are different from stages, and the stages has been addressed more directly, but this is the mad man we're talking about here. His words in the Direct (at least from the English translation) are still a bit vague as to the possibility of new stages. I pointed that out in my post with how he discussed the whole shaping up to be massive comment and the now part of his comment being slightly suspect.

I'm willing to admit there is a good chance that you're right just given the sheer quantity of content placed into the game already, particularly with regards to stages. Gangplank Galleon not being added despite King K Rool coming in does indeed feel odd, and would be a point in favor of your argument. I won't argue that point, I'm just arguing their is the possibility of an additional new stage.

There'd be no reason to reveal any other new stages now if they're paired with a newcomer, particularly one from a new series, which is still possible. I don't see that as deconfirming any additional characters, and I don't see it as 100% proof that this is the finalized stage lineup for the game, no questions asked. It very well could be, and additional newcomers, even if they come from something unique could wind up without a stage too, but I just think it's too soon to be shooting down the possibility entirely.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 156505

Also missing this stage as well, rather this particular version

Plus DLC exists, so...and I think the exact wording he said was "Now the total numbers of stages is, voila! 103! We must be crazy, if we exclude BF, FD, and BBF we have 100" I don't think this was the "this is the final number because it definitely isn't"

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Well there is room for 6 more stages.

My guess would be: Monster Hunter stage, Rumored Minecraft Stage, Alolan Stage once the 7th gen rep is announced, Golden Sun or Mario RPG stage if either Geno or Isaac is announced, and maybe two more suprise returning stages?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
It's kind of nuts that will all the info we've been blasted with by E3 and now the Direct, we only know four new stages (seven if you count Final Destination and the Battlefields). I have to believe we're still getting at least a handful more.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
not to keen on this stage morph, but we'll see

also need to check, was it turing stage hazards off for all stages at once or couple it be for each stage separately?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I feel like the reason Jungle Hijinx isn't in is because it would be difficult to do stage morph with. That sucks, it was up there for me.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I made a quick image showing all the stages that are still missing from past games (not counting past Battlefields, Final Destinations, and single player only stages). I think there's a few odd omissions here honestly. I mean, Miiverse is obviously not coming back, Sector Z can be argued to already be in the game with how similar Corneria is to it, and Pyrosphere wouldn't work unless they cut the Ridley boss from the stage (though I guess they could pull an Alfonso?) but stages like Pac-Maze and Woolly World have no reason at all to be omitted I think.
Missing Stages.png

....I just want Woolly World back darnit! :4yoshi:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman

DLC? What a joke. At the moment they said that they will finish the game before thinking of DLC. I think that they're gonna announce new stages on the future to fill the void, or they might be stuffs related to Stage Builder. In fact, I'm sure that this isn't the final Stage Select Screen since there's no Custom stages stuffs in it. I think that there will be a new tab next to "Normal" for the custom stages.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Mute City (Melee) is most likely coming back. They wouldn't have renamed Mute City (3DS) Mute City SNES if it was the only Mute City in the game.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Woolly World and OGA were surely cut for being too technically demanding.

This is more obvious for OGA, but Woolly World had surprisingly detailed wool geometry and real-time terrain deformation.

Both stages did not allow more than 4 players in the WiiU version, and now stages have to support 16 Ice Climbers.

(And Jungle Hijinx was cut for Stage Morph, as multiple people have pointed out.)

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
I made a quick image showing all the stages that are still missing from past games (not counting past Battlefields, Final Destinations, and single player only stages). I think there's a few odd omissions here honestly. I mean, Miiverse is obviously not coming back, Sector Z can be argued to already be in the game with how similar Corneria is to it, and Pyrosphere wouldn't work unless they cut the Ridley boss from the stage (though I guess they could pull an Alfonso?) but stages like Pac-Maze and Woolly World have no reason at all to be omitted I think.
View attachment 156610
....I just want Woolly World back darnit! :4yoshi:
Forgot the underground Mushroomy Kingdom hasnt been shown either

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I don't think stages would necessarily be cut just to include the stage morph mechanic. Surely they could just exclude certain stages from the mode, right?

(By the way Pokéfloats isn't in the final roster because they know they can definitely make money off of us by selling it as DLC and I'm ok with that.)

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm assuming Mute City (Melee) and Pokefloats remakes were simply cut for time. All Smash games have had stages and characters cut off at the end of the dev cycle.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
By the way Pokéfloats isn't in the final roster because they know they can definitely make money off of us by selling it as DLC and I'm ok with that.)
If that was the case, they wouldn't put Fountain of Dreams in the base game (one of the most wanted stage to returns).

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You know, they could give us every returning stage except one, and we'd spend the next 5 years talking about that one stage.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'm a bit mixed on this. You'd think more another character would debut with another stage but in retrospect, Ridley and K. Rool didn't, neither did the echoes. That, and they gave us an exact number of stages as opposed to saying "there's over a hundred" or "we've revealed 103 so far." It kind of makes me think that is most likely it.

Not that I'm complaining because that is an enormous amount of stages for any fighting game, and there was a lot of work updating/recreating Melee and 3DS stages in HD.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think we're done with past stages. though Pac-Maze's exclusion is pretty glaring. I don't think 103 is the true final number and there may be a couple more surprises heading our way.

Of course, what I really am hoping for is the return of Stage Builder, and possibly even an expansion of it. Then there would be even more fun layouts to play on.

Top Bottom