• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Hacking: NEW Research + Documentation

Milun

Smash Ace
Well, fair enough. Maybe some time down the line I'll take a crack at figuring it out myself (but to be honest, I don't have an idea for a stage right now anyway).

smb123w64gb

Smash Rookie
I skimmed threw, and was wandering the full documentation on collision data for stages. I'm on the sm4sh research and want to up port melee stages to sm4sh Wii U & 3DS. Sm4sh uses a simple file full of separated col and cliff(ledge grab points), spawn, camera, and blastzone. Oh and how to export 3d models too since we now can vertex edit.

Edit:Oh found the documentation... But any good pointers would be nice.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
I skimmed threw, and was wandering the full documentation on collision data for stages. I'm on the sm4sh research and want to up port melee stages to sm4sh Wii U & 3DS. Sm4sh uses a simple file full of separated col and cliff(ledge grab points), spawn, camera, and blastzone. Oh and how to export 3d models too since we now can vertex edit.

Edit:Oh found the documentation... But any good pointers would be nice.
I'd recommend just porting PM stages.

Chubbybarbarian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheMammon
Can you please make a youtube video :D thanks--I will put you in the credits for my mod if you do-thanks

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
Just having the model would still be cool.It would just be Omega Smashville I guess, but it'd still be nice.We'll eventually figure out how to animate stage objects.What the modding community can do as a whole is incredible.

Milun

Smash Ace
Just having the model would still be cool.It would just be Omega Smashville I guess, but it'd still be nice.We'll eventually figure out how to animate stage objects.What the modding community can do as a whole is incredible.
If you want there's a kinda crappy rendition I tried to make using Fourside a while back. It's got the moving platform... ish.

Last edited:

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty good, that's what I have over Fourside right now.But I've been looking for a import.It's still an amazing hack that I enjoy and love though.But, I've been wanting Smashville in Melee probably since I started playing PM.Btw, you and Zankyou are amazing(You two are the main ones I know that do stage hacks).

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
It's pretty good, that's what I have over Fourside right now.But I've been looking for a import.It's still an amazing hack that I enjoy and love though.But, I've been wanting Smashville in Melee probably since I started playing PM.Btw, you and Zankyou are amazing(You two are the main ones I know that do stage hacks).
Thanks! As for Smashville, I've found basically the best "base" stage to use for it: Bowser's target test. It's go a nice platform that shifts left and right smoothly (in fact you can find an old video on my channel of me trying to edit that stage into Peaches Castle 64). There's only one problem: I cannot change the way that platform works in the slightest. I think its behavior may be defined in a different file, but nothing I've done has even phased it. And unless I can slow it down + change it's movement a bit it'll be a lousy Smashville.

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
I usually use a Mac, so I don't even know if I can get away with making a complete stage.I'd love to try though.Also if we could get it at the speed and movement of the Fourside platform.It'd probably be almost perfect.

Milun

Smash Ace
Then you should be fine as long as you can also get a hex editor. Or even just set up a Virtual Machine.

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
I've had HxD on the Mac for a while, never used it on the Mac yet.Used to use it quite a bit.But I'm a bit better when it comes to textures and I need to figure out modeling so I would need quite a lot of help.
Milun Milun I have sort of a general idea but not much.I might want your help if possible.I could try to figure things out though.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
I've had HxD on the Mac for a while, never used it on the Mac yet.Used to use it quite a bit.But I'm a bit better when it comes to textures and I need to figure out modeling so I would need quite a lot of help.
Milun Milun I have sort of a general idea but not much.I might want your help if possible.I could try to figure things out though.
Go ahead. If you have any questions PM me and I'll do my best to explain them.

Milun

Smash Ace
Hey guys, guess what:

Download link

May 25th 2016: Update your link guys, the one I uploaded before has a crash with Ice-Climbers.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Hey guys, um, could I ask a big favor. To anyone who's downloaded the Great Bay hack for their Wii's, could you please test it with Ice-Climbers? For whatever reason, whenever they're on the stage, it crashes randomly after a few seconds. It's fine on Dolphin too, which is bad news for testing it, but it might just be my Wii too.

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I made a program that creates an mdl0 file for character bones recently and was wondering if I should attempt to do the same thing for stage collisions. Would make moving collisions around a little more efficient than guessing and checking if you could view them in brawlbox.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
I made a program that creates an mdl0 file for character bones recently and was wondering if I should attempt to do the same thing for stage collisions. Would make moving collisions around a little more efficient than guessing and checking if you could view them in brawlbox.
Do you mean like it exports bones from the game that you can then reimport, or does it just create a bone system for use within Melee?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Do you mean like it exports bones from the game that you can then reimport, or does it just create a bone system for use within Melee?
Right now it just makes the bones viewable in brawl box. If I understood how to use 3ds max Id look into reimporting them

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Right now it just makes the bones viewable in brawl box. If I understood how to use 3ds max Id look into reimporting them
If BrawlBox can use them, can't you just use its already built in .dae exporter/importer?

Milun

Smash Ace
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey...

So, I'm briefly back from my hiatus, and I wish to give a teaser of things to come (MAJOR thanks to Tcll, who helped me greatly with getting this working). Metroid's been needing a legal stage since forever (or, since Melbourne stopped having Brinstar as a counter pick).

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace

Hey, does anyone know how to properly remove stage collisions? I know how to move them, but I'm wanting to go for something a bit more professional this time around.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Hey, does anyone know how to properly remove stage collisions? I know how to move them, but I'm wanting to go for something a bit more professional this time around.
If you wanted to keep the default file location for collisions and links, you would move all your collisions and links up to the beginning of each list. Then in the coll_data table, you would change the total number of collisions/links/each link type to however many you need. Area table link and collision values will probably need to be changed too.

KeyGaff

Smash Rookie
By the way, for those of you who've seen my Mushroom Kingdom tutorial, I did a dump of the models for Kirby 64 in Blender:

https://www.mediafire.com/?vkbv7sv0v6yrfy7

When you're done working with the models, you need to select ONE of the two that are in the scene and go export > obj.
When in the export window, be sure to have "selection only" and "keep vert order" selected.

Then, after exporting go to the .obj file, open it in notepad, and remove all rows of text that don't begin with data in the format of:

v 1.4390 3221.34 392.324234

You can then use my terrible program to convert them back into Hex:

https://www.mediafire.com/?z1a89nxgvofowhd

Finally, open the file the program spits out and copy all the Hex text. In your .dat, paste it in one of the following:

If you edited the part of the model which has the tree in it (the back half of the stage) paste it here: 0000480
If you edited the part of the model which was twice as large (the front half of the stage) paste it here: 0000E920

So I know this thread might be dead but I'm really struggling to find a way to import my .obj mario model into a .dat for DAT texture wizard, does this semi-tutorial apply to characters as well? Can't seem to find the rows of text starting with v 1.4390 3221.34 392.324234

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
K KeyGaff it won't be that exact line of text
basically all he's saying is to remove any line that doesn't start with "v " (including the space)

that said though, for what I know, Milun's knowledge only covers stages, and obj files don't support bones (needed for characters).
there was a tool for dealing specifically with converting Mario to a DAT, though I forget what it was called...
hopefully someone else can provide :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom