• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's probably asking too much at this point, but I wish they would sell some of the missing stages as separate DLC like Orbital Gate Assault or Pyrosphere. Orbital Gate is the one that stings the most to me, I never owned Smash Wii U so I didn't get much mileage out of it and only played on that stage a couple of times. And since Sakurai said that that stage took a year to complete, it would be a shame to see that work go to waste.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Same. I don't have Smash for Wii U, and the lack of some stages is frustrating. Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze (which could have easily been just a bit modified) are especially iconic.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The background in Battlefield is gorgeous! I would love to see a game where you can explore those islands.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
The background in Battlefield is gorgeous! I would love to see a game where you can explore those islands.
While Battlefield and Final Destination do look marvelous, I wish there was a BF/FD skin toggle (separate toggles for Battlefield and Final Destination) in the options menu so that the player could fight on prior incarnations. I would have mine on Melee Battlefield and either SSB64 or Melee Final Destination.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
While Battlefield and Final Destination do look marvelous, I wish there was a BF/FD skin toggle (separate toggles for Battlefield and Final Destination) in the options menu so that the player could fight on prior incarnations. I would have mine on Melee Battlefield and either SSB64 or Melee Final Destination.
I would have mine on Smash 4 for the 3DS with Battlefield, and Smash Brawl with Final Destination.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
I do not like it that Omega Version of Big Battlefield has not the size of Melee FD. Since Brawl all FDs are far to little.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I wish the stages were unlockable. We could have begun with the eight original ones, like the characters, and unlock the rest. Easily, like 'play three times in Peach's Castle 64 to unlock Peach Castle Melee', 'play one versus match as Luigi to unlock Luigi's Mansion', and so one.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I wish the stages were unlockable. We could have begun with the eight original ones, like the characters, and unlock the rest. Easily, like 'play three times in Peach's Castle 64 to unlock Peach Castle Melee', 'play one versus match as Luigi to unlock Luigi's Mansion', and so one.
To be fair, the unlocking criteria for stages in Smash 4 was a nightmare, so it's not terrible that we get them all from the start.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
True, but there was just something about having to unlock stuff instead of just having a massive dump from the start. Maybe it's just me, but I found that exciting and fun. Sort of like waiting for your Birthday to open presents as a kid.

D

Deleted member

I wish that Dracula’s Castle featured the actual Kid Dracula and not just his shadow.

That stage was dissapointing to me overall.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
True, but there was just something about having to unlock stuff instead of just having a massive dump from the start. Maybe it's just me, but I found that exciting and fun. Sort of like waiting for your Birthday to open presents as a kid.
Exactly how I feel.
To be fair, the unlocking criteria for stages in Smash 4 was a nightmare, so it's not terrible that we get them all from the start.
I only had Smash for 3DS, and... almost every stage (and all the characters) were available from the beginning, if I remember well? I only remember unlocking Kirby's Dreamland GB: I had no clue it existed, and since it was the very first game I finished when I was a child, the nostalgia hit me totally by surprise!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Exactly how I feel.

I only had Smash for 3DS, and... almost every stage (and all the characters) were available from the beginning, if I remember well? I only remember unlocking Kirby's Dreamland GB: I had no clue it existed, and since it was the very first game I finished when I was a child, the nostalgia hit me totally by surprise!
In order to unlock Pac Land, you had to play Smash Tour on every map.

I rest my case.

Fuzzy__Pickles

Smash Rookie
I swear, if the new stage isn't a morph stage that goes into Shujin academy to Kamoshida's palace i'll riot.

but for now, my favorite stage is Great Bay.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I don't like the direction stages have taken since Brawl, especially the transforming ones. I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of customization in regards to stages, too. I get that they tried to do that with disable-able level hazards (and I'm glad they took that step), I just think they missed the mark on what that should mean on so many stages. For example: I like the swinging cage on Find Mii and I like the moving platforms on Wily's Castle. I don't like the big disruptive boss enemies that appear on both stages. Moving platforms on the whole I don't think should have been disabled with level hazards.

I also wish we could pick which stage of transforming stages we could play on. Like the boat part on... what is it? Wuhu Island? Or the spire islands on Isle Delfino. There are some interesting stages in there, but they're buried under these stupid transformations on other terrains I don't want to play on.

...also, no Miis in the background of Tomodachi Life FD/Battlefield. I was very sad about that.

Coolguy12

Smash Rookie
So I've been looking for a while on the internet (no success)...

Has anyone else seen a stage from spirit board/world of light that isn't normally accessible? Say, two large platforms sliding over one another in a bowser's castle-esque firey elevator shaft? I was trying to look up what it might be; seems like red-hot elevator ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af69SXqp1nQ), except there are two flat platforms sliding around...

I literally just registered to smashboards solely for this reason lol. I'm an idiot for not getting a screen capture. Can anyone confirm seeing this stage?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So I've been looking for a while on the internet (no success)...

Has anyone else seen a stage from spirit board/world of light that isn't normally accessible? Say, two large platforms sliding over one another in a bowser's castle-esque firey elevator shaft? I was trying to look up what it might be; seems like red-hot elevator ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af69SXqp1nQ), except there are two flat platforms sliding around...

I literally just registered to smashboards solely for this reason lol. I'm an idiot for not getting a screen capture. Can anyone confirm seeing this stage?
The only stages that are like that would be the completely flat boss stages. Bowser in particular is fought on Final Destination, no special stage.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Check this video out. Is that stage what you were referring to? I can tell you from memory that the stage in the video is part of Mushroom Kingdom U. The stage is playable in normal matches. The version of it you see here was modified to always be a certain segment. Other fights do this with certain stages as well. To name one example, Kapp'n's Spirit Battle does this with Wuhu Island. It's probably less noticable with these two, but Galeem is fought on Final Destination, and the background is locked to always show a specific segment.
The same Final Destination background lock happens when fighting Dharkon.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Yeah, those are portions of the levels that jump from one location to another. I really wish you could pick which location to fight at somehow, because there are some interesting landscapes buried underneath all the transforming crap. Just make them separate levels, devs. -_-

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
I thought I'd share it, so here's my tournament stage list: bans.page

I decided to make smashville have hazards on because I like that the platform moves back and forth during matches, and I thought keeping hazards on for smashville would be nice for anyone who played Project M.

You an find my updated stage list down below

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If only you could set hazards on and off on a stage-by-stage basis.

Better yet, if only moving platforms weren't hazards because movement is fun and not a hazard.

Unfortunately, neither of these things are true, and realistically no one in a tournament setting is going to back out to change rulesets and turn hazards on/off every single stage pick.

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
You're right. Hopefully though Sakurai will give us the option to switch that setting on and off from the stage selection screen.

Edit: I only wanted the platform in smashville to move for project m players that liked it.

Last edited:

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
Here is my updated stage list: bans.page

The stages in Bucket 1 are starters
The stages in Bucket 2 are counterpick stages that open up on round 2
The stages in Bucket 3 are also counterpick stages that open up on round 3

ssbwiki said:
Counterpick stages may be chosen only after the first game of a set, such as games 2 and 3 of a best-of-3 set. Stages in this category tend to give a slight, though not overwhelming, advantage for certain characters over others, such that it would not be fair to include them in the neutral list. These stages may often (though not always) be chosen for counterpicking purposes, hence the name of the category.
Bucket 3 is, what I assume, you would call a second counterpick. Stages in bucket 3 tend to give a slight, though not overwhelming, advantage for certain characters over others, more than bucket 2 does.

Thanks Xelrog Xelrog for helping me understand some issues with my first stage list.
@Xelrog said:
If only you could set hazards on and off on a stage-by-stage basis.

Better yet, if only moving platforms weren't hazards because movement is fun and not a hazard.

Unfortunately, neither of these things are true, and realistically no one in a tournament setting is going to back out to change rulesets and turn hazards on/off every single stage pick.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Where is Planet Zebes? It is the only original map that is not in the game.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
True, but they call it "Brinstar 64." It's like they want us to forget it ever existed.
I always liked the sound it makes when someone is touching the lava. Nowadays it's just a boring burning sound, back then, it was truly IN YOUR FACE.

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
Too similar to Brinstar
I would say it is about as similar to Brinstar as Dream Land is to Green Greens.
Planet Zebes, while absolutely fun, is basically a bigger version of Brinstar/Brinstar is a smaller version of Planet Zebes. It should have been in the game, and maybe it will return if Silux gets in, but it would NEVER be tournament legal or even considered at a tournament. Turning off its hazards would make the lava stop but the stage is much to big so even if it was considered it would be for doubles only. :)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It would be nice to have it back, but it is very similar to Brinstar and I don't quite see past stages being DLC. I would love to be proven wrong and we get some stand alone DLC stages outside of the fighter pack. This one, Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road are the only three stages I do miss not having.

Falco_DJ

Smash Apprentice
Update 3 ( and final for awhile ) to my stage list: bans.page

Stage morph can be set to on or off but only if each player wants it on and it can't be used with counterpicks.
I've decided to remove bucket 3 and change the stage list a little bit, now it's based off of ZeRo's and mine. I've decided to leave hazards off with some stages and on with others the way I think they should be respectively. Any feedback on this is appreciated and wanted, but I won't be changing this stage list for awhile.

Top Bottom