• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

smesty

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

At my locals, we run 5 starters 5 CP's.

Starters:
BF
FD
T&C
Smashville
Dreamland 64

CP's:
Lylat
Halberd
Castle Siege
Delfino
Duck hunt

And on default I always ban DH and FD, and taking people to Lylat or DL64 if I can

But I'm starting to think that's a bad idea, or I'm second guessing myself.

Thoughts? What do you ban / look to pick?

SHATT3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
LagasaurusRex_2
If you're playing against a character who can't camp on it, I highly suggest going to Duckhunt.

Last edited:

Sidereus

Smash Rookie
One of the things I really like about Duck Hunt is that if you position yourself right you can get an up throw onto the tree on the left making it kill a lot earlier thanks to the fact that Kirby jumps all the way up

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I almost never ban FD nor DH (although my region recently banned DH for some mysterious reason). I think it's a bit easier to edgeguard/gimp on those stages and I feel like it's easier to catch landings on FD which can be really nice for juggles. It varies a bit depending on the matchup though. I do like the layout of Lylat, but I don't like it in matchups where I rely on ducking under enemy attacks as the tilting can screw that up. I'm not really sure about how good of a stage DL64 is for Kirby. I tend to like playing on KJ64, although that stage is banned in both yours and my region. The large blastzones help Kirby survive longer and I feel like sharking on the stage is somewhat useful. Travelling stages such as DP, Skyloft and Wuhu are also quite nice because of Kirby's great recovery and manueverability.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I love DL64, and I think it is a great stage to fight on, so I personally choose that one a lot.

Da_Face89

Smash Rookie
NNID
Da_Face89
I would probably consider staying away from stages that lack a bottom blast line like delfino and the second part of CS, as it removes offstage play, which Kirby is quite excellent in. For the starters, I'd go T&C or BF, as the platforms help u-throw kill earlier and extend up air strings. The tree on DH is further up than the 2 mentioned previously, but u-throw kills really quick if you position yourself right, and is generally beneficial. The high ceiling also helps.
FD is also solid. The lack of platforms puts an emphasis on aerial approaches, which is another area kirby is fairly good in. Kirby's anti-air isn't incredible, but utilts and uairs can combo into themselves. Kirby doesn't have a long-distance projectile, with his only one being FC, so enemies are more likely to use a grounded approach than against a character like Diddy. Try to avoid this stage unless T&C and BF get struck.
DL64 is arguably the worst starter for kirby, as it's easy for enemies to run around and lower the effectiveness of his offense.
Halberd's not a huge problem, as you can easily get out of the way of the cannons and arm. However, make sure you do so--if one of them hits you at a high percent, you're toast. the sharking and platform also offer some benefits, though minimal. Overall, DH and Lylat are probably preferable, but HBerd is better than Del or CS.

Top Bottom